How would you fix "The Man With Golden Gun" ?

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited September 2013 Posts: 17,805
    I think TMWTGG could benefit greatly from cutting the topicality of the energy crisis in the UK and having it solely as a duel as I think the energy stuff with Gibson and the missing Solex Agitator is rather shoe-horned into the thing in a rather artificial kind of way, much like DAF had Blofeld as a villain and the diamond smuggling plot was linked to him too! It must be a Guy Hamilton directorial thing or something!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Dragonpol wrote:
    I think TMWTGG could benefit greatly from cutting the topicality of the energy crisis in the UK and having it solely as a duel as I think the energy stuff with Gibson and the missing Solex Agitator is rather shoe-horned into the thing in a rather artificvial kind of way, much like DAF had Blofeld as a villain and the diamond smuggling plot was linked to him too! It must be a Guy Hamilton directorial thing or something!

It's certainly not a coincidence. DAF to TWTGG is arguably the laziest, uninspired run of films of the series.

Maybe the blame can't be laid entirely at Guy's door. I think Cubby and Harry's rather acrimonious divorce might be to blame if the films of era time feel rather churned out as they probably had their minds on other matters.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 11,189
    NO SCHOOLGIRL MARY GOODNIGHT

NO SCHOOLGIRL MARY GOODNIGHT!!!

NO SHERIFF PEPPER

NO COMEDY KUNG FU

NO BOND FIGHTING NICNAC

A different director

(This is not spam. I am just using caps for emphasis).
    Well, first off, the mess that is TMWTGG was basically doomed the second they filmed YOLT before OHMSS. TMWTGG is an exciting, great novel IMO and I think it deserved a faithful adaptation. Especially the beginning where Bond attempts to kill M.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Ditch the slide whistle & add back in the deleted duel stuff between Bond & Scaramanga. I've no other problems with this quirky slice of delicious cheese.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    there's so much wrong with this mess I would not know where to start. Wait, I do know where to start. JW, gone. Goodnight as an idiot, gone. Any car made by AMC for heaven's sake--gone. Herve'---gone. (Throws up hands, walks away.) PS- oh yeah, the kung fu school----gone.
    edited September 2013 Posts: 17,691
    Take out all the GOOD stuff, whydoncha?
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Get rid of the fun house - never liked it, stupid idea, poorly executed and telegraphs the ending, complete arse. Give Goodnight a brain. Keep M and Q at home (hate it when M pops up - in his office - in foreign parts. Have a decent showdown between Bond and Scaramanga more in keeping with the book and dear god no J W Pepper, keep his ass in the bayou!
    Oh, and get someone other than Guy Hamilton to direct.
    Oh TMWTGG hate just never ends.... :-<
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I agree with taking out the funhouse, but instead make the duel like something from, The Most Dangerous Game Where Scaramanga hunts Bond on his Island where Bond gets the upperhand using his wits to get Scaramanga.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Murdock wrote:
    I agree with taking out the funhouse, but instead make the duel like something from, The Most Dangerous Game Where Scaramanga hunts Bond on his Island where Bond gets the upperhand using his wits to get Scaramanga.

I actually had an idea for a Bond film along the lines of The Most Dangerous Game with Shatterhand as the main villain. The PTS would have been Shatterhand's son setting Bond up a la TMDG, Bond bests him and kills him as the titles role and the film is Shatterhand seeking revenge on Bond. Obviously with some sub plots and Shatterhand having some evil plan in the pipeline.
    Base it on the novel. End of thread.
  • The_Reaper wrote:

Wow. That's a very intelligent response(!)
    The_Reaper wrote:

It's certainly pithy, but true of all Bond films that strayed too far from the work of the Master - Ian Lancaster Fleming.
    Replace Moore with a proper actor and you're sorted! (with the exception of the Bond/Scaramanga lunch scene which was very Fleming).
    LeChiffre wrote:
    Replace Moore with a proper actor and you're sorted! (with the exception of the Bond/Scaramanga lunch scene which was very Fleming).

Indeed. Very Fleming, but not written by Fleming himself. A masterful part of the film, for me.
  • The entire Bond/Scaramanga final confrontation was a great part of the movie. A shame it had to end up so cartoonish. Bond's feet should have been shredded into a pulp and a midget got abused ;)
    edited September 2013 Posts: 17,805
    The entire Bond/Scaramanga final confrontation was a great part of the movie. A shame it had to end up so cartoonish. Bond's feet should have been shredded into a pulp and a midget got abused ;)

But oh what a very bizarre and surreal cartoon it was, Sir Henry.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Make Goodnight an intelligent assistant.

No J.W. Pepper, he should've just stayed in LALD.

No fight where schoolgirls beat fighters.

Instead of a Solex Agitator (or something like that), make Scaramanga be a top assassin all over the world, killing government officials, CIA, MI6, KGB, etc. but being anonymous with just a gold bullet.

End the film with Bond and Goodnight escaping the island on the boat. No M on the phone or a Nick Nack fight.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    I think TMWTGG could benefit greatly from cutting the topicality of the energy crisis in the UK and having it solely as a duel as I think the energy stuff with Gibson and the missing Solex Agitator is rather shoe-horned into the thing in a rather artificial kind of way, much like DAF had Blofeld as a villain and the diamond smuggling plot was linked to him too! It must be a Guy Hamilton directorial thing or something!

I didn't like the solex plot or subplot, but wonder if there shouldn't still have been an extra motivations apart from the duel. It was definitely shoehorned, but I do think it matters that a villain in a Bond movie should represent a threat to someone else than Bond. In the novel, there was no outlandish scheme like in other books, but it was clear Scaramanga was an active threat to the Western world.
    The_Reaper wrote:

I'm being a bit pissy, sorry. But it's 100% true. They had a chance to remake the Bond series when Moore took over and it could have been something great(er). Moore is my favorite Bond but some of his films are lacking.

They should have gotten the rights back for CR, did that as his first film in a sort of reboot way in '71, then do DAF straight from the novel with Moore, then maybe MR straight from the novel and then TMWTGG from the novel. After that they could have done whatever but think of the possibilities. With it has his 4th film, he's already established in the role as an actor and we as the audience understand what he's all about. It becomes even more shocking when he attacks M. He's beaten up after the first 3 adventures, he's world weary, he's injured, he's a mess.

The first four Connery films were so good b/c they stayed true to the books, end of story. Yes, they were great in other ways but if you look at the great films in the series, they stay closer to Fleming. YOLT strayed and it was a huge step down from TB and then it went back up great again with OHMSS.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    The_Reaper wrote:

I'm being a bit pissy, sorry. But it's 100% true. They had a chance to remake the Bond series when Moore took over and it could have been something great(er). Moore is my favorite Bond but some of his films are lacking.

They should have gotten the rights back for CR, did that as his first film in a sort of reboot way in '71, then do DAF straight from the novel with Moore, then maybe MR straight from the novel and then TMWTGG from the novel. After that they could have done whatever but think of the possibilities. With it has his 4th film, he's already established in the role as an actor and we as the audience understand what he's all about. It becomes even more shocking when he attacks M. He's beaten up after the first 3 adventures, he's world weary, he's injured, he's a mess.

All well and good but your argument is deficient in several areas:

1. I don't think they didn't have the rights to CR by choice. They simply weren't available otherwise EON would have snapped them up. And even if they did have them they wouldn't release another CR 4 years after Feldman's. Anyway to film CR straight after OHMSS makes absolutely no sense even if the concept of reboots had been around in 1970.

2. Rog in straight adaptations of Fleming as a world weary Bond? Is that really going to work? I love a Roger romp as much as the next man but he wasn't signed on to deliver that sort of Bond.

3. You can't do TMWTGG straight from the novel unless you first do YOLT straight from the novel and unless you do OHMSS straight from the novel before that.

Now if Laz had stayed on you may be onto something.

Make his second film YOLT in all but name with differing locations and Bond girl but ending up with him heading to Vladiostok with amnesia.

Then his 3rd is TMWTG and the assassination attempt on M is the PTS and then we follow the book reasonably closely - just throw in an extra few scenes and action sequence in the first act when he is tracking down Scaramanga to bolster what is a pretty thin tale much the way they did with CR06.

Then Colonel Sun as his 4th? PTS of M getting kidnapped?

Although it is all starting to sound a bit like the Brozza/Craig era with M being overused somewhat it sounds an awesome quadriolgy which would go down a storm today but back then probably would have sunk the series for being too depressing.

Anyway thanks to the lukewarm public reception to George and that arsehole Ronan O'Reilly we instead started down the comedy romp path in 71 which would last 5 films and deny us any proper closure for Tracy except the delicaf*****gtessen in stainless steel.

They could have made it work. Get those rights, no matter what! (= And I'm not saying a perfect adaptation would be appropriate, but one close enough would have worked well. The films don't have to follow each other in perfect continuity. They didn't for Connery but the first four worked b/c it was based MOSTLY on Fleming.
    I'm sure someone has probably posted this before, but it's always worth another watch:

"****ing yeah!" ;-)
  • RC7RC7
    edited January 2014 Posts: 10,512
    I'm sure someone has probably posted this before, but it's always worth another watch:

"****ing yeah!" ;-)

Whenever my mate and I go for dinner, it inevitably descends into this. Arguably less funny.

Incidentally I took my girlfriend to that restaurant on her birthday. It's damn good. Bond would approve.
    The follow up, The Trip to Italy will be broadcast on BBC2 later this year. I think it's being edited into a film version for other territories. Check out this clip:

• RC7RC7
    The follow up, The Trip to Italy will be broadcast on BBC2 later this year. I think it's being edited into a film version for other territories. Check out this clip:

My mate went to a BBC screening. He said it was awesome, but slightly less quotable than series 1. He also said that they break character more than in 1. Apparently there's a scene where Brydon does a critique of Coogan as Parkinson and Coogan genuinely breaks and laughs. Can't wait to see it.
    The two of them play off each other so well.
  • RC7RC7
    The two of them play off each other so well.

Michael Winterbottom deserves credit. There aren't many directors who allow the improvisational fluidity that he encourages in a lot of his work. The risk is that sometimes it doesn't quite work (A Cock and Bull story) but with The Trip he's definitely hit gold!
    I do love Bryden doing Coogan doing Partridge in A Cock and Bull Story.