The films and music of JOHN CARPENTER thread

2»

Comments

Mathis1 wrote: »
    Damn, i've only just come across this discussion!

Carpenter is the one who piqued my interest in movies. Siting in the dark on my own as a young teenager watching Assault On Precinct 13 for the first time was quite an experience! I loved it! The dialogue, the action and the oh so cool music!

As soon as i got my first VCR i rented all his films available and he became a firm favourite. Himself and Brian De Palma were my idols back then!

Carpenter to me made really interesting genre films which had great ideas and stories. He didn't seem to be making them for a quick buck.

His latter career output i've found lacking, but his body of work is still very impressive.

My personal favourites;

The Thing (His most accomplished film. Everything just works perfectly.)
    Halloween (The cinematography, the music and slow build. Just wow!)
    Assault On Precinct 13 (Loved it as a kid and still love it now)
    Escape From New York (A flawed but ambitious project that i just love. Wonderful characters and dialogue. Also has a seriously good set up.)
    The Fog (Not perfect, but a really cool ghost story with another great score)#
    Dark Star (Really funny and amazing what was achieved on a tiny budget)
    Prince Of Darkness (personally i think this is his most underrated film. A fascinating set up with some very original ideas. One of his best endings!)
    In The Mouth Of Madness (Another very underrated film. I must admit i only started to really appreciate this on a re-watch)

So glad i got to see him perform in concert last year!

An excellent list, which I would probably go along with, apart the last one, which I admit I haven't seen!
    Assault On Precinct 13 and The Thing I have seen more times than is healthy. When I saw the latter in the cinema, I came away dazed, stunning atmosphere and as for Rob Bottins effects!..Wow!
    What did you think of 'Christine'?

Christine is a perfectly well made and entertaining film, but as an adaptation of the book it's kind of a pointless empty excercise. Same with the adaptations of Cujo, Firestarter and lord knows how many others...

Yes, saw it in the cinema on release, and enjoyed it with some really good set pieces, but it's far from classic Carpenter.
    A film that was a pleasant (if that's the word!?) surprise was Prince of Darkness. Felt he got a lot of his mojo back with that film! Particularly that final shot!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

Carpenter is the one who piqued my interest in movies. Siting in the dark on my own as a young teenager watching Assault On Precinct 13 for the first time was quite an experience! I loved it! The dialogue, the action and the oh so cool music!

As soon as i got my first VCR i rented all his films available and he became a firm favourite. Himself and Brian De Palma were my idols back then!

Carpenter to me made really interesting genre films which had great ideas and stories. He didn't seem to be making them for a quick buck.

His latter career output i've found lacking, but his body of work is still very impressive.

My personal favourites;

Escape From New York (A flawed but ambitious project that i just love. Wonderful characters and dialogue. Also has a seriously good set up.)
    Prince Of Darkness (personally i think this is his most underrated film. A fascinating set up with some very original ideas. One of his best endings!)
    In The Mouth Of Madness (Another very underrated film. I must admit i only started to really appreciate this on a re-watch)

An excellent list, which I would probably go along with, apart the last one, which I admit I haven't seen!
    Assault On Precinct 13 and The Thing I have seen more times than is healthy. When I saw the latter in the cinema, I came away dazed, stunning atmosphere and as for Rob Bottins effects!..Wow!

Christine is a perfectly well made and entertaining film, but as an adaptation of the book it's kind of a pointless empty excercise. Same with the adaptations of Cujo, Firestarter and lord knows how many others...

Yes, saw it in the cinema on release, and enjoyed it with some really good set pieces, but it's far from classic Carpenter.
    A film that was a pleasant (if that's the word!?) surprise was Prince of Darkness. Felt he got a lot of his mojo back with that film! Particularly that final shot!

Yeah I saw Christine at the cinema. It does have some cool set pieces but it doesn't add up to a hill of beans ultimately.

Prince of Darkness is very underrated. It was a massive return to form for Carpenter.

I also think In The Mouth of Madness was also very underrated.

My personal favourites;

Yeah I saw Christine at the cinema. It does have some cool set pieces but it doesn't add up to a hill of beans ultimately.

Prince of Darkness is very underrated. It was a massive return to form for Carpenter.

I actually have never seen 'In the Mouth of Madness!' I did enjoy 'They Live' apart from that stupid fight scene, which seems to go on forever!!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

My personal favourites;

I actually have never seen 'In the Mouth of Madness!' I did enjoy 'They Live' apart from that stupid fight scene, which seems to go on forever!!

Yeah, i've never been a fan of 'They Live' although the actual concept for the film is very good.

I didn't like 'In The Mouth of Madness' first time i saw it but on later viewings i really enjoyed it.