SOLO - 'The Mystery Of The Incompetent Marketing Campaign'

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    I don't want to prejudge but [I do anyway] I am a little bothered by an imaginary country. Not very Fleming. Maybe it is my problem for expecting Fleming when it is Boyd. I'm still all in.

Well, I think it's probably to avoid any political difficulties that might arise with a real country as the continent of Africa was a hotbed of revolution and revolt at that time. Still, as you say, not something Fleming ever did with Bond.

While I can understand why the decision may seem rather disappointing, we have seen films make up locations before (LTK), and the origins of characters in the films have been changed depending on where they are released (Silva isn't tortured by the Chinese in that country's release of the film, and AVTAK's Dr. Mortner is a Polish communist in the German release instead of a Nazi scientist).

But as @Dragonpol stated, at least this way Boyd doesn't have to worry about upsetting a particular region of the area full on, and it also gives him more creative freedom where not as much research has to go into the study and writing of the setting since he can more or less create a political system, terrain and other aspects of the country on his own.

Very interesting points on SF and AVTAK release differences depending on the countries. Very odd indeed. Where did you get this information, Brady - @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 ?

Well, the comment about Mortner was something I read in a brief section on the character found on AVTAK's Wikipedia page, whereas the censorship of Skyfall in China made quite big news at the time of its release over there. These links should satisfy your curiosity:

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/01/21/license-to-cut-skyfall-censored-in-china/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/17/skyfall-censored-china-bond_n_2495528.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/jamesbond/9815154/Skyfall-heavily-edited-by-Chinese-Government-censors.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-21115987

Considering that the series has previously explored Cold War tensions, British-Russian détente, drugs, and more, there is bound to be more instances of censorship in the franchise's past. Could make for another interesting Bondologist Blog article, eh? ;)

Thanks so much for those links, Brady. Fascinating stuff I had somehow missed! And yes, this sort of thing is just up the street of The Bondologist Blog!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Dragonpol, you are most welcome, sir!

While the SOLO covers are better than anything made for Carte Blanche, I am not blown away in the slightest.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Surprisingly the covers are better than the Brazilian re-releases of Fleming novels.
    http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/literary_brazil_2013.php3?t=&s=&id=03553
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited September 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Nice covers and all but all we want to know is one thing. Only just over three weeks until we find out.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Murdock wrote:
    Surprisingly the covers are better than the Brazilian re-releases of Fleming novels.
    http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/literary_brazil_2013.php3?t=&s=&id=03553
    :-&

Why can't they hire us? We could use the money and make better covers since we are fans after all!
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Nice covers and all but all we want to know is one thing. Only just over three weeks until we find out.

What? How good the book is received in reviews, you mean?
    Of course, the only question that matters.
    Samuel001 wrote:

Well, I'd just personally want to know if it stays true to Fleming and all that, though that does go into how it is received as well.
    edited September 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Coming off of two bad novels, it's no wonder many of us are on edge.
    Murdock wrote:
    :-&

Why can't they hire us? We could use the money and make better covers since we are fans after all!
    Samuel001 wrote:

What? How good the book is received in reviews, you mean?

Nothing on Amazon Vine yet.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 2,598
    Samuel001 wrote:

Well, I'd just personally want to know if it stays true to Fleming and all that, though that does go into how it is received as well.

I'm not sure if I want to read reviews or even found out how well the book has been received until I read the novel. If the reviews are bad it might put me off a bit. I'll start reading with preconceived notions that may hinder my enjoyment of the book. I doubt I'll have the discipline to stay away though. What I definitely don't want though is to read spoilers.

I wonder if this man with two faces had one half of his face blown off in this war. Maybe he's like the Phantom of the Opera or Harvey Two Face. :)

Only 2 weeks to go!
    Bounine wrote:
    Only 2 weeks to go!
    The suspense for us builds but from the JC micro site, not a single e-mail!
    Perhaps it was all just a ruse to sell our details to GCHQ!

• JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    GCHQ don't need to pay for them ;)
  • JamesPage wrote:
    Not wrong there @ JamesPage - how I long for the era of the dead letter drop!
    Went into my local Waterstones yesterday and couldn't help but reflect on how dull they are looking.
    They seem to have really lost the art of marketing and creating excitement - just a load of tables with paperback offers and shelving with "new" or "best seller" racks. What ever happend to the art of "coming soon" or trailer advertising to build anticipation and boost advanced orders. I really miss all the POS that the publishers used to produce to jazz things up. This generic corporate look is completely boring and frankly it's little wonder that everything is going the way of Kindle.
    SOLO posters and the Fleming back catalogue should have been writ large!
    Anyway, as @Bentley said not a dicky from JC's micro site. I'm going along to the launch at the RFH and will report back.
    I'd love to know if anybody from IFP/JC has checked this thread out with all the great ideas and comments that have been posted - close to their consumers and fans doesn't appear to be their mantra!

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    I doubt that we will get anything until next week probably along the lines of 007 days to go.
  • Ordered Solo, last night, from Amazon UK for just £3.85. That is the first edition hardback, not next year's paperback!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    £3.85????

Was that some short promo offer they had?
  • doubleoego wrote:
    £3.85????

I don't know. May have been an error but I grabbed it super quickly.

Mrcoggins wrote:
    I doubt that we will get anything until next week probably along the lines of 007 days to go.

Yes, they really need to get the publicity department put into action in the field now...
    Villiers53 wrote:
    JamesPage wrote:
    Not wrong there @ JamesPage - how I long for the era of the dead letter drop!
    Went into my local Waterstones yesterday and couldn't help but reflect on how dull they are looking.
    They seem to have really lost the art of marketing and creating excitement - just a load of tables with paperback offers and shelving with "new" or "best seller" racks. What ever happend to the art of "coming soon" or trailer advertising to build anticipation and boost advanced orders. I really miss all the POS that the publishers used to produce to jazz things up. This generic corporate look is completely boring and frankly it's little wonder that everything is going the way of Kindle.
    SOLO posters and the Fleming back catalogue should have been writ large!
    Anyway, as @Bentley said not a dicky from JC's micro site. I'm going along to the launch at the RFH and will report back.
    I'd love to know if anybody from IFP/JC has checked this thread out with all the great ideas and comments that have been posted - close to their consumers and fans doesn't appear to be their mantra!

They really need you on the job to shake things up a bit @Villiers53!
    doubleoego wrote:
    £3.85????

I don't know. May have been an error but I grabbed it super quickly.

@doubleoego

It's no joke. I ordered it from Amazon UK and my invoice shows the price has dropped to £3.85. Given that the dollar has been taking a beating this is good for me.
    Hmmm it's now at £9.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Hmmm it's now at £9.

It could have been a "daily deal"
    Yes, I'm beginning to think it was.
    007 days to go!

Sorry, couldn't resist it. ;)
    I went to pre-order this (in the U.S.) yesterday on Amazon, got all the way through check out, and then at the last step was alerted that it was no longer being provided by the seller. THERE'S NO OTHER SELLER ON AMAZON! Pretty upset.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I went to pre-order this (in the U.S.) yesterday on Amazon, got all the way through check out, and then at the last step was alerted that it was no longer being provided by the seller. THERE'S NO OTHER SELLER ON AMAZON! Pretty upset.

What about on Amazon UK?

If an item is pre-ordered on Amazon, and later on the price comes down, does one get it for the new price stated at the time of dispatch? I read a while back on Amazon that this was the case but I'm not sure if it still is. It should be if it isn't.

Bounine wrote:
    If an item is pre-ordered on Amazon, and later on the price comes down, does one get it for the new price stated at the time of dispatch? I read a while back on Amazon that this was the case but I'm not sure if it still is. It should be if it isn't.

It makes sense that you would pay the newer price. It would be horrible if that wasn't the case, especially if the price went down considerably.

One would expect a review of the book by now, is this not how filmmakers hide a poor movie releasing it without giving the reviewers to see it beforehand?