Batman

Comments

• I am a fan of Goldenthal's work, especially his score to Final Fantasy...

Goldenthal's scores certainly elevate the Joel Schumacher Batman films.

Another brilliant score (and actually a really good film in its own right too).
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2022 Posts: 23,104
    I am a fan of Goldenthal's work, especially his score to Final Fantasy...

Agree its very underrated film, the departure from the games was the main critism at the time. To me it was a great thought provoking science fiction film that was trying to push the boundaries of CGI.
  • I am a fan of Goldenthal's work, especially his score to Final Fantasy...

Agree its very underrated film, the departure from the games was the main critism at the time. To me it was a great thought provoking science fiction film that was trying to push the boundaries of CGI.

I never played the games, so I had nothing to compare the film to. I was just impressed by the quality of the realistic CGI art style. I'm actually not sure I can think of another film made completely in CGI that went for such a realistic approach. (And as you say, the story was good too.)
    mattjoes wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    3. Batman Begins (2005) - A more than ideal origin movie. Also, the best Bruce Wayne movie. Lovely cast, lovely story, the best depiction of Gotham of the Nolan movies
    I really missed the look of Gotham in the sequels.

I've kind of come to appreciate the impressionistic approach of having a totally different look and feel to the city in each film of the trilogy, but that was still the single biggest thing that disappointed me about The Dark Knight: how Gotham no longer looked or felt like Gotham. Batman Begins is still my favorite of the three.
    I still get why they toned down the more stylized look of Gotham for The Dark Knight. They wanted it to feel more realistic, which suited this particular film, since it was aiming to make one feel the panic of witnessing a city under attack, with banks, hospitals, ferries and streets becoming dangerous places. Batman Begins wasn't as intense in that regard.

Batman Begins is my favorite out of the three films as well.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited July 2022 Posts: 45,489
    Gotham doesn t always look too gothic in the comics, either. The Gotham of TDK reminds me of Jim Aparo s Gotham.
  • edited July 2022 Posts: 2,751
    If I'm honest, as much as I like many of the modern live action Batman films, I really don't think any of them are as good as Mask of The Phantasm. I used to watch Batman: The Animated Series a lot when I was a kid and loved it, but that film especially holds up for me even now. Great story, writing and voice acting aside, the way they did the animation (I think it was drawn on black paper or something?) really gave it a darker, noir look that felt otherworldly and vaguely 1940s-esque, without making Gotham too artificial looking, which I think the city does look a bit in Burton's Batman films.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    slide_99 wrote: »
    I watched a chunk of The Batman and couldn't finish it. I can't recall a recent movie that had such outrageous pacing issues and with so many unnecessary and redundant scenes/repeated information.

Did we really need to watch Gordon riding an elevator all the way up to the building, leaving the elevator and walking across an empty floor just to switch on the Bat signal? Editing used to be a tool to shorten runtime so that only relevant info is conveyed, but in today's movies it's just there to connect 3 hours' worth of overlong scenes.

Dano was chewing scenery as The Riddler, trying to one-up Ledger's Joker, without having any of Ledger's gravitas, levity, or charisma. Dano's performance was simply, "Look at me, I'm acting!"

Pattinson wasn't believable as a man driven by a hatred of crime.

The bigger issue was the lack of originality. These characters and themes have all been done before, by better directors like Burton and Nolan, and in far less time. This movie was basically Batman Begins done by less talented filmmakers with a B-grade cast.

I agree 100%; there seemed to be overwhelm acclaim for this film but I found it dismal, ponderous and uninspiring.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I have watched The Batman several times now and I think the first 2 acts are great, I just think it falls apart a bit in the final 3rd.

Admittedly a good 30 minutes could be cut from the film though if that had happened I would no doubt be asking for the Extended Cut.
  • talos7 wrote: »
    slide_99 wrote: »
    I watched a chunk of The Batman and couldn't finish it. I can't recall a recent movie that had such outrageous pacing issues and with so many unnecessary and redundant scenes/repeated information.

Did we really need to watch Gordon riding an elevator all the way up to the building, leaving the elevator and walking across an empty floor just to switch on the Bat signal? Editing used to be a tool to shorten runtime so that only relevant info is conveyed, but in today's movies it's just there to connect 3 hours' worth of overlong scenes.

Dano was chewing scenery as The Riddler, trying to one-up Ledger's Joker, without having any of Ledger's gravitas, levity, or charisma. Dano's performance was simply, "Look at me, I'm acting!"

Pattinson wasn't believable as a man driven by a hatred of crime.

The bigger issue was the lack of originality. These characters and themes have all been done before, by better directors like Burton and Nolan, and in far less time. This movie was basically Batman Begins done by less talented filmmakers with a B-grade cast.

I agree 100%; there seemed to be overwhelm acclaim for this film but I found it dismal, ponderous and uninspiring.

Same here. Overly long, clunkily paced, far too dour. It had some good elements in play, but the recent trend of reaching for three-hour runtimes did not benefit this film. I think a lean two-hour version might have been something. Dano and Ferrell would still be overacting, but at least the story would move at a good clip.
    christianpacheco-eb65419a742cc4a3b9aa51e07251699a-1200x800.jpg
    Camazotz. Mayan vampire deity.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited July 2022 Posts: 23,449
    It's funny. As soon as a game like this is without Batman, I lose interest overnight.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    It's funny. As soon as a game like this is without Batman, I lose interest overnight.

Initially I thought it was the TV show then remembered the TV show is infinitely worse.

• That TV show preview was so bad the makers of the video game had to publicly come out on Twitter and express how they are not affiliated with the makers of the show. As for the game, my interest has gone down quite a bit, but I’m sure I’ll eventually purchase the game.
    That TV show preview was so bad the makers of the video game had to publicly come out on Twitter and express how they are not affiliated with the makers of the show. As for the game, my interest has gone down quite a bit, but I’m sure I’ll eventually purchase the game.

That is funny, its unfortunate they share the same title.
    That TV show preview was so bad the makers of the video game had to publicly come out on Twitter and express how they are not affiliated with the makers of the show. As for the game, my interest has gone down quite a bit, but I’m sure I’ll eventually purchase the game.

That is funny, its unfortunate they share the same title.

I hope the film can impress.
    Keanu as Batman in a live-action adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns? Hell, yeah!
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Keanu as Batman in a live-action adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns? Hell, yeah!

Would definitely watch that.
    Now that he’s said as much, it’s just a matter of time, in some capacity.
    Aquaman 2 Will See Ben Affleck Return As Batman
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ign.com/articles/aquaman-2-will-see-ben-affleck-return-as-batman?amp=1
    I want to see the Bat Boat or a Bat Sub.
    880px-Batboat.jpg

Or even better...
    26b3d0effdc83add64f83c2085156250.gif
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'd pay good money to see Keanu play Batman in a live-action movie, absolutely.
    I had another "interesting" discussion with a self-proclaimed "true fan" today. Two things:

1) I'm starting to get seriously annoyed with these "true fans", these gatekeepers who seem to think that there's some kind of hierarchy in geekdom. They act as if they have turned their fandom into an academic science and now hold multiple doctorates in it. Their opinion is better than everybody else's; correction, they don't speak "opinion", they speak "truth". They also speak in absolute terms, like the "true" Batman or "the" comics, ignoring the fact that multiple iterations of Batman exist, even in "the" comics, and that there's no such things as the "definitive" Batman. In other words, I recognised the same bull I've read in certain threads in our forum, where the "true fans" aren't of the "opinion" that NTTD sucks, but "know" that it does because Fleming so-and-so. But I digress. All I can say is that we're all true fans; no one fan is more fan than another fan.

2) Speaking of the "truth", my wonderfully entertaining conversation partner "knows" why BvS Batman sucks while Burton/Schumacher Batman is the "true" Batman. His words: the Burton/Schumacher Batman doesn't kill whereas Affleck's Batman does. Yes, that same old bogus story we heard countless times in our DC/Batman threads too when BvS had just come out. Let's see. In '89, Batman pulled a thug from a bell tower, knowing full well the guy would drop to his death from that height. In '92, Batman deliberately set a guy ablaze and blew up another one--with a smile, I might add. In '95, Batman evaded an incoming missile which then blew up a car with Two-Face thugs in it and we can clearly see the car burn to a crisp. But he doesn't use a gun in those film, unlike in the dream sequence in BvS? Very well, Batman fires bullets at Talia's truck in The Dark Knight Rises, thereby clearly hitting the driver who we can only presume won't survive. Also, in some of "the" comics, from the very first Bob Kanes all the way to some of the much more recent adventures, we have seen Batman with a gun. Good thing? Bad thing? Doesn't matter. It's a thing, not a common thing, but a thing. So if comics are the ultimate go-to reference, be careful; some of them have gone off formula too.

Look, I appreciate the fact that some people struggle with the collateral damage and gun-toting Batman in the Snyderverse. Just please stop pretending that there's a set of objective criteria behind which you can hide when expressing your opinion. You don't like the film for reasons X, Y, Z, then that's fine. Simply say so and we can all go home as friends. But stop making up that "true" fan nonsense that somehow makes you a bigger, better, smarter, more authentic fan than everyone else. Lastly, when someone does enjoy the thing you don't like, do not dismiss that person as someone who doesn't "get it", whether "it" is Batman, Star Wars, Bond... The number of comics you have read, the information you have processed, the collection you have built... can showcase your passion as a fan, but not how "true" a fan you are. Every fan who likes a certain something is a true fan, no more or less true than another fan.
    I didn't mind those instances of Batman killing people.

---

My opinion, long requested of course, on a subject of the utmost importance-- the nipples on the costumes of Batman Forever and Batman & Robin:

They don't bother me at all. The costumes have muscles on them, Batman has pointy ears on top... nipples fit into the style of the attires. They are not some extraneous, outrageous, illogical thing. They look fine.
    What is great about Batman is there are so many interpretations of the character, plenty of options for everyone to choose a favourite.

Keaton kills about 20 people in Batman 89. ☺️
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I didn't mind those instances of Batman killing people.

---

My opinion, long requested of course, on a subject of the utmost importance-- the nipples on the costumes of Batman Forever and Batman & Robin:

They don't bother me at all. The costumes have muscles on them, Batman has pointy ears on top... nipples fit into the style of the attires. They are not some extraneous, outrageous, illogical thing. They look fine.

The nipples never bothered me either. I probably could have done without the close-ups of the suit's chest and bottom sections, but apart from those few seconds, I rarely notice these details. I rather like Kilmer's black suit. The grey... to a lesser extent.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 40,372
    It's stunning to think of just how bad this film must be that they put $90 million into it and inevitably opted to toss it in the trash:

https://deadline.com/2022/08/warner-bros-batgirl-1235083809/
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It's stunning to think of just how bad this film must be that they put $90 million into it and inevitably opted to toss it in the trash:

https://deadline.com/2022/08/warner-bros-batgirl-1235083809/

Aww dammit! I was so looking forward to the heap of “woke trash!” comments for it x’D
    Well, that doesn't happen every day!

This return of Michael Keaton to Batman is experiencing turbulence, between Batgirl and Ezra Miller.
    He's having no luck and it's a real shame to think he might've returned as Batman after all this time and we'll never get to properly enjoy it. I would've probably watched either of those films just to see Keaton (or in the case of Batgirl, Simmons and Keaton).