The James Bond Rescore Thread.

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Absolutely beautiful work, @Murdock. You blended it all so well, with just the hint of Vesper's theme, and I think it really adds a lot to Dan's performance, which is ambiguous and hard to place, giving it even more meaning and memory. One of my favorite scenes in a Bond film, truly, for how two characters remember a man they knew as both good and evil, and your re-score really brought out the melancholia of the scene as Bond and Madeleine face their pasts simultaneously.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Loved it @Murdock. The Vesper theme is so intense.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Thank you @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 and @marketto007. I'm glad you enjoyed them. :-bd
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    50 per cent of the film is music that gets you on the edge of your seat, these SP rescores illustrate how much Newman was lacking.
    Agreed. Even a I first saw Spectre in the theater I knew I was going to rescore it when the clips became available. :))
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,394
    Murdock wrote: »
    Agreed. Even a I first saw Spectre in the theater I knew I was going to rescore it when the clips became available. :))

The pre title sequence in SF tipped me off to Newman, there were parts where I wanted the score to go all guns blazing with full throttle Bond theme... It did not happen :))

The pre title sequence in SF tipped me off to Newman, there were parts where I wanted the score to go all guns blazing with full throttle Bond theme... It did not happen :))

Agreed and then during the boat chase the Bond theme kicks in then goes nowhere. It's Bond theme blue balls. What the hell? =))
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Agreed and then during the boat chase the Bond theme kicks in then goes nowhere. It's Bond theme blue balls. What the hell? =))

Score in the newer Bond films doesn't feel as empty to me as it seems to others, but one time when it was really apparent to me was in the boat escape in SP. I was preparing myself for a big blast of the theme, but was disappointed by how flat the moment was scored.

It's something I see alot in modern films, the reluctance to embrace exactly what character and property film makers have on there hands. I hope the next Bond film just goes all out

Score in the newer Bond films doesn't feel as empty to me as it seems to others, but one time when it was really apparent to me was in the boat escape in SP. I was preparing myself for a big blast of the theme, but was disappointed by how flat the moment was scored.

The action music in newer Bond films is where it's flat to me. When Bond is in the moment and in his element the damn theme should be used like fireworks at forth of July. instead it's used like sparklers and they fizzle out before anything good happens.
    There seems to be a general trend in soundtrack music these days to go for an ambient style. Lots of atmosphere and noodling.

They don't seem then to get the action right, with some sort of tuneless bombardment.
    Agree there is a reluctance in scores in some cases to illustrate more heightened emotion.
    I just got the Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation Soundtrack and composer Joe Kraemer isn't shy about using the iconic MI theme during big moments and it made me think about modern Bond scores and their lack of identity these days.

Not that some of the other music in RN is all that memorable when that theme is not playing, but I seem to recall it better back to bits in the film than I can when listening to the SF or SP soundtracks.
    Exactly. All of the Mission Impossible films proudly embrace the use of the main theme and even "The Plot" theme. Reminds me of the time Tom Cruise had Alan Silvestri replaced during the first Mission Impossible film because his demo score for it didn't include any hint of Lalo Schifrin's themes.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,394
    BT3366 wrote: »
    I just got the Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation Soundtrack and composer Joe Kraemer isn't shy about using the iconic MI theme during big moments and it made me think about modern Bond scores and their lack of identity these days.

Not that some of the other music in RN is all that memorable when that theme is not playing, but I seem to recall it better back to bits in the film than I can when listening to the SF or SP soundtracks.

Rogue Nation has a decent score yet to purchase it only have the first two so far, Ghost Protocol is up there in the series love some of the themes in that score.
    Exactly. All of the Mission Impossible films proudly embrace the use of the main theme and even "The Plot" theme. Reminds me of the time Tom Cruise had Alan Silvestri replaced during the first Mission Impossible film because his demo score for it didn't include any hint of Lalo Schifrin's themes.

Wow. So even back then Tom had some pull!

Yeah. I mean, Silvestri's demo score for MI wasn't bad but it really didn't fit the film. I have Silvestri's rejected score and I listen to it on occasion. Not technically a Bond rescore but I did find this MI rescore that added Silvestri's original music for the Train sequence.

• Murdock wrote: »
    Yeah. I mean, Silvestri's demo score for MI wasn't bad but it really didn't fit the film. I have Silvestri's rejected score and I listen to it on occasion. Not technically a Bond rescore but I did find this MI rescore that added Silvestri's original music for the Train sequence.

Well, that sequence was directly inspired by France's original PTS for GoldenEye, so close enough. ;)

Parts of Silvestri's M:I music there actually remind me a lot of one of Williams' themes for the Star Wars prequel films. (And yes, overall Elfman's music for the train sequence was much more exciting.)
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

Actually, Cruise was a producer on the film, so he had to have some pull. Though that makes me interested to know if a big star (just star, not producer) has ever had the score of his film changed. Does anyone have that sort of pull?
    mattjoes wrote: »

Actually, Cruise was a producer on the film, so he had to have some pull. Though that makes me interested to know if a big star (just star, not producer) has ever had the score of his film changed. Does anyone have that sort of pull?

It seems like many in this thread wished Dan had that kind of pull on SP!
    I'm not sure if Daniel is as interested in Bond music as Tom was in Mission Impossible's music.
  • Mendes was Craig's choice and Newman was Mendes's choice, so in a way that was Craig's call for the music. But like @Murdock says, I don't know how invested or interested Craig really has been in the music.
    Really, with all the stuff in the recent Bond films that is considered problematic/unsatisfactory and chalked up to Sam Mendes... is Daniel Craig's creative influence the real problem with the Craig era?

I'm being 2 parts cheeky, 1 part serious here.
    Composers are usually the Director's choice now. I missed when it was the Producer's choice. Then again, I couldn't imagine any director saying "No" to John Barry.
    mattjoes wrote: »

Not the star or producer, but Stanley Kubrick pulled composer Alex North's score for 2001: A Space Odyssey when he thought it telegraphed too much that he wanted to leave up to the viewer and instead put in the classical music.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 6,738
    I present to you my rescore of the scene in Die Another Day in which Bond is about to be executed. It started just as an attempt at creating a Barryesque arrangement of the title song, but halfway through I realized it would be appropriate for this scene, so I made some adjustments to make it work with the onscreen action. I couldn't claim it's an improvement over the original, but as an experiment, I'm fairly proud of it. It actually sounds like a funeral dirge; it communicates the idea that "this is the end." I also like how the lyrics of the theme song --which are implicit in the music-- contrast with the immediate action of the scene in an ironic way: whereas the song is about finding a way to survive, we are preparing to witness Bond's death. On the other hand, when you know how the story plays out, the lyrics also work in a non-ironic way, since evidently, Bond does survive to die another day.

I'm afraid the sound is just that of a MIDI file run through a basic soundfont, so nothing fancy here, but I hope you'll get the idea. In the videos, I also included the scene that comes before, to set the mood, if you will, so if you want to, you can skip a minute ahead to "get to the point."

Music only:

Music & dialogue:

Comments are appreciated.
    @mattjoes, that was a great effort. I like what you've done with the DAD melody. It fits the scene very well. Thank you for sharing. :-bd
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Great work, @mattjoes.
    @mattjoes, that was enjoyable. Shows what can be done with a theme song (even a pig's backside of a theme song) to weave it through the film. I particularly liked the ramping up bit around 3.15 onwards. Nice military feel to it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Very nice @mattjoes . I like it a lot. Quite suspenseful and I like how it builds.