Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited February 2022 Posts: 13,882
    mattjoes wrote: »
    El carnaval de las bestias aka Human Beasts (1980)
    7nsb73fms8om.png
    Paul Naschy enters the 1980s with a difference. With a title like Human Beasts, anyone could be forgiven for expecting another Hombre Lobo, but this is, to begin with, a thriller only switching to horror as the film moves along.

Bruno Rivera (Naschy) is a professional hitman, hired by the Yakuza to steal some diamonds. In a display of his ruthlessness, Bruno sets a trap, and kills everyone present, including the courier who wasn't even carrying a gun. Taking the diamonds to the exchange with the Yakuza, Bruno has a change of mind, and decides to keep the diamonds for himself. This leads to a chase where Bruno is cornered in a Abbey. He escapes, but in the ensuing gunfight, is shot. He wanders the countryside, before collapsing. When he comes to, he is in a house owned by an older gentleman and his two beautiful daughters. From this point on, the film switches from action thriller, to horror.
    This sounds cool, the mixture of genres. Reminds me a bit of From Dusk Till Dawn.

I was reading about the film over at Proyecto Naschy.

It's been a while since I watched From Dusk To Dawn, so I don't recall how it blended genres. With Human Beasts, I would liken it to a colour chart. It begins as one colour, goes through various shades, before ending as different colour. The shift in style is done seamlessly.

I had not heard of that website, I will have to bookmark it for reference. TheMarkOfNaschy (Naschy.com) and NaschyCast are what I use as reference guides. In the case of the latter, they go VERY in depth in their reviews, so I wouldn't advise listening to them, unless you have already seen the film in question. They also cover other, non-Naschy films.
    In From Dusk Till Dawn, a bunch of criminals end up in a bar full of vampires.

Thanks for the info on the other Naschy websites. I haven't seen any Naschy films; I only knew about him from Las noches del hombre lobo. But I'm a little more curious about his work now.

If you do seek them out, be sure to post your thoughts. I have only recently been properly seeking out his films. I first heard of him back in the early 2000's, but didn't look for his films at the time.
    I'll watch this one at some point, probably along with a couple of other Bogarde films, like The Servant. I've got so many movies to watch I should hire someone to watch them for me.

The Servant is definitely a recommendable film of Bogardes. Also, Victim.

Keeping with my EuroHorror (or maybe EuroThriller might be nearer the mark with this one) kick that I have been on lately...

She Killed In Ecstasy (1971)
    she-killed-in-ecstasy_02.jpg
    Even though this is a Jess Franco film, I would stop short of using the word 'sleeze' in this instance. In the dictionary, beside the word ethereal, there should be a photo of Soledad Miranda. The camera loved her, which is understandable.
    A Doctor conducting experiments involving human embryos, is struck off by a panel of his peers. This brings about a mental breakdown, leading him to slit his wrists. His beautiful wife, wracked with grief, decides to take her revenge using the coldest weapon of all.
    JABBERWOCKY (1977)
    I've upgraded the few Terry Gilliam films I own, to bluray, starting with this, his solo debut (after co-directing Monty Python and The Holy Grail).
    Based on the Lewis Carroll poem, its a fun romp, with Co Pythoner (?) Michael Palin as Dennis, the local bumpkin, who, in The Dark Ages, is set the task of slaying the title creature who is terrorising the locals under the Kingship of Bruno the Questionsble ( the unique Max Wall) .
    I remember when this was released, there was a controversial full colour preview article in The Sunday Times, of the jousting scene, with The King et al drenched in blood!
    The film isn't quite as good as I remember, a bit slow, but Gilliam is enjoying himself with the set pieces, particularly for the final reveal of the Jabberwocky, a typical Gilliamesque creation!
    Next up is BRAZIL, and I have ordered the blu of The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, which i'm looking forward to viewing as I havent watched it in years!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    JABBERWOCKY (1977)
    I've upgraded the few Terry Gilliam films I own, to bluray, starting with this, his solo debut (after co-directing Monty Python and The Holy Grail).
    Based on the Lewis Carroll poem, its a fun romp, with Co Pythoner (?) Michael Palin as Dennis, the local bumpkin, who, in The Dark Ages, is set the task of slaying the title creature who is terrorising the locals under the Kingship of Bruno the Questionsble ( the unique Max Wall) .
    I remember when this was released, there was a controversial full colour preview article in The Sunday Times, of the jousting scene, with The King et al drenched in blood!
    The film isn't quite as good as I remember, a bit slow, but Gilliam is enjoying himself with the set pieces, particularly for the final reveal of the Jabberwocky, a typical Gilliamesque creation!
    Next up is BRAZIL, and I have ordered the blu of The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, which i'm looking forward to viewing as I havent watched it in years!

I saw this one for the first time last year, I believe, and really enjoyed it! Gilliam is a master of world-building and this one's as exotic and fantastical as it is hilarious. Palin's great.

Brazil is in my Top 100 all-time favorite films, for sure. The Criterion blu-ray of it is simply stunning.

I've yet to see his take on Baron Munchausen but I'll forever recommend The Fabulous Baron Munchausen, a Czech film from the '60s that is easily one of the most unique and visually appealing films I've ever witnessed.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    A BETTER TOMORROW (1986)

Given John Woo's return to Hollywood, I figured it was time to revisit some of his flicks, even titles I never really got around to (I've only seen two of his Hollywood films, FACE/OFF and MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE II). Had to go on the internet to look for a high quality copy of it, because the old Arrow release DVD is pretty much unwatchable. Luckily, that's where YouTube served.

Man, if only EON snagged John Woo for TND. But I suppose he wouldn't have been happy with the restrictions. Too bad, because I feel his flourishes are what could have leveled up the film to where Jonathan Pryce was at.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    JABBERWOCKY (1977)

I saw this one for the first time last year, I believe, and really enjoyed it! Gilliam is a master of world-building and this one's as exotic and fantastical as it is hilarious. Palin's great.

Brazil is in my Top 100 all-time favorite films, for sure. The Criterion blu-ray of it is simply stunning.

I've yet to see his take on Baron Munchausen but I'll forever recommend The Fabulous Baron Munchausen, a Czech film from the '60s that is easily one of the most unique and visually appealing films I've ever witnessed.

Yes, I have seen that Czech Munchausen film, but I have a soft spot for Gilliams version. It came in for a lot of flak on release, (same year as LTK!) but I loved it. It only played for ONE week here in Ireland. The showing I went to see was a packed house, all ages, and everyone seemed to enjoy it! Couldn't fathom the short appearance! You should check it out, it has dazzling fantasy sequences, John Neville is wonderful in the lead, and it has a unique take on the story!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    JABBERWOCKY (1977)

Yes, I have seen that Czech Munchausen film, but I have a soft spot for Gilliams version. It came in for a lot of flak on release, (same year as LTK!) but I loved it. It only played for ONE week here in Ireland. The showing I went to see was a packed house, all ages, and everyone seemed to enjoy it! Couldn't fathom the short appearance! You should check it out, it has dazzling fantasy sequences, John Neville is wonderful in the lead, and it has a unique take on the story!

You've certainly sold me on it. In between Time Bandits and Life of Brian, I've been on a Gilliam role lately so I'll have to see that one sooner rather than later.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Dune 2021 honestly for the first hour of this film I thought I was watching a potential Masterpiece, and then this film catastrophically nose dives omg. Very disappointing, this smells of studio interference. Lynch's version is far superior.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Funnily, that’s how I feel about the Lynch film. Once Paul meets the fremen that’s when it feels like everything got rushed to the point of incoherence. I would love Lynch to actually take the offer of putting together the three hour Director’s Cut he originally sought out, but fully understand that he still feels burned by the studio imposing that running time.

As for the new one, I liked it but am kind of holding off final judgement for the second film. It CANNOT possibly fall short of the section Lynch covered in the latter half of his film.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    METROPOLIS (F. Lang, 1927)
    R.b720bd62f106249573b1899f780ca094?rik=ZSigDCNXxJzeng&riu=http%3a%2f%2frandomthoughts.ertorre.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2018%2f07%2fMetropolis_2-a.jpg&ehk=5wewtotzWLcQw0%2bLuFZOLeJlFvberstFATHDGDpzQcw%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0
    A shame that a quarter of the film is completely lost, but fantastic job with restoring the rest.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    The Hobbit (1977)
    latest?cb=20210715111600
    I really enjoy the book and I thought the movie first two Hobbit movies, An Unexpected Journey and The Desolation of Smaug, were decent but The Battle of the Five Armies was a let down. I’ve always wanted to watch this one but was never able to find it until recently. It’s one I don’t regret watching but I’ll probably never give it another go again. It’s very much made for children.

The Lord of the Rings (1978)
    9755886_so.jpg
    Another one I’ve always wanted to see. I absolutely love the Peter Jackson trilogy so I wasn’t expecting to like this one much, if at all. I was honestly a bit surprised at how entertained I was by it. The animation style is one you don’t see often and I rather enjoyed it. I may give this one another watch again someday.
  • edited February 2022 Posts: 2,887
    I caught up on some DC Animated films. A mixed bag.

Batman: Hush: I'm not a fan of the original comic or Jeph Loeb, but this wasn't awful. But the episodic nature of the original comic doesn't translate well into an 80 minute feature, and the story feels disjointed, although the increased emphasis on the Catwoman romance gives it some shape.

Justice League: Dark: John Constantine is an overbearing presence here, and I found him irritating. Batman doesn't have much to do and looks out of place, Zatanna is written as a bore, and I can barely remember what else was in the film, aside from the poo monster. Lots of magic with little to ground it. Inconsequential stuff.

Justice League Dark: Apokolips War: More Constantine, and at the expense of the league. The plot might be apocalyptic, but Justice League: Flashpoint Paradox did a much better job at telling an ultra-violent, apocalyptic story. This just felt like a nihilistic reset button for a series of mostly mediocre animated films. The deaths are cheapened by magic resurrections and the dialogue is wretched (If I hear someone say "you're the strongest person I Know" ever again I will commit acts of unspeakable violence).

Batman: The Long Halloween, Parts I and II: My primary beef with the comic was that the revelation of the Holiday killer's identity felt like a cheat. The film adaptation takes steps to mitigate this, and I enjoyed it more than its source. It felt more genuinely mature and cinematic than many other DC animated films. That said, the pacing is too slow in part one. The art style, though not that of Tim Sale, was a welcome change from those generic, anime-influenced Phil Bourassa designs that DC has overused.
    HEREAFTER(C. Eastwood, 2010)
    1200x0.jpg
    Another good emotional drama from Eastwood. Three different stories are told, and one expects them to come together at some point, which they do in a very clever way.
    Catching up on more DC Animated films. A mixed bag yet again:

Justice Society: World War II. Not bad but somewhat pointless and definitely aimless. DC heroes fighting in WWII was already done well in the "Savage Time" episode of the Justice League animated series, and this film doesn't have much to add to the concept. And then it sets the WWII focus aside after a detour to Atlantis and the climax becomes another slugfest of heroes fighting giant monsters. The character designs are pretty but the voice actors don't have the cadence of Americans actors in the 1940s.

Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay (or as I like to call it, Hell Toupée). Foul, filthy, and fun. Alan Burnett obviously had a good time scripting this romp about scumbags knifing each other in the back. The story pits the Suicide Squad against Vandal Savage and Professor Zoom over the ultimate get-out-jail card. The over-the-top violence is literally cartoonish, the humor is dark and nasty, and the film doesn't take itself seriously or try to invest the violence with pretension. Harley Quinn feels tacked on--no decent black ops unit would risk employing an unpredictable lunatic.

Batman: Gotham by Gaslight. The original comic was more concept than story--this loose adaptation expands and deepens the original. The film has a social conscience but doesn't get too preachy--it shows all the festering ills behind the gilded age and how they abetted Jack the Ripper's crimes. We see the evils of an exploitative, poverty-stricken, old-boys network coming home to roost. The identity of the ripper comes as a bold but fitting surprise. The backgrounds are very effective at conveying the sense of period, but the character designs don't have the detail one expects from an era as fussy as the late 19th century, and Batman looks a bit goofy. Selina Kyle has been added as a major character and earns a her place.

Superman: Red Son. A case where you're better off with the original comic, which had greater moral complexity and edge. This adaptation tends to compress and simplify the original, though it contains several high points and beats from the comic. The new ending is unjustifiably sentimental and too feel-good. The film feels uncomfortable with its source material. Mark Millar's original story made the unsettling point that questions of Communism versus Capitalism were ultimately beside the point next to the question of power, especially when people of superhuman abilities (Superman) or intelligence (Luthor) were handling it. What really mattered was how cynically and intelligently power was used. But the film ultimately opts for the triumph of human goodness, democracy, capitalism, etc.

As of today I've seen 26 DC animated films, and while some have been quite good (New Frontier, The Flashpoint Paradox, Crisis on Two Earths, Under the Red Hood, Soul of the Dragon), I've yet to be as thrilled by the films in general as I was by DC's animated TV classics from 1992 to 2005, the period spanning Batman: The Animated Series to Justice League Unlimited.
    BRAZIL (1985)
    Having watched Terry Gilliams debut 'Jabberwocky', I then purchased his most infamous feature on bluray, which I remember being in awe of when seeing it in the cinema! But, oh dear, this hasn't aged well at all! I found it dull, and the fantasy dream scenes, which I aforementioned, was in awe of, dont have the same impact at all now! Its not as visually interesting as I remember either, and Jonathan Pryce isn't as endearing as I recall. Robert DeNiro is a hoot, as Buttle (or is it Tuttle?) And that ending, which the Studio hated and wouldn't release the movie until it was changed resulting in Gilliam putting an ad in Variety mag to embarrass them, does have the required impact, its still disappointing, after all these years! One postive, I forgot that Michael Kamen did the score, and it impressed me a lot. I knew he did 'The Adventures of Baron Munchausen' for Gilliam, which I plan to watch next. I do hope it has aged better than this!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    BRAZIL (1985)
    Having watched Terry Gilliams debut 'Jabberwocky', I then purchased his most infamous feature on bluray, which I remember being in awe of when seeing it in the cinema! But, oh dear, this hasn't aged well at all! I found it dull, and the fantasy dream scenes, which I aforementioned, was in awe of, dont have the same impact at all now! Its not as visually interesting as I remember either, and Jonathan Pryce isn't as endearing as I recall. Robert DeNiro is a hoot, as Buttle (or is it Tuttle?) And that ending, which the Studio hated and wouldn't release the movie until it was changed resulting in Gilliam putting an ad in Variety mag to embarrass them, does have the required impact, its still disappointing, after all these years! One postive, I forgot that Michael Kamen did the score, and it impressed me a lot. I knew he did 'The Adventures of Baron Munchausen' for Gilliam, which I plan to watch next. I do hope it has aged better than this!

That's interesting @Mathis1 I absolutely love Brazil. I'd say it was Gilliam's best. Having said that, I haven't seen it in many years, so I wonder if I'd feel the same...? I'm almost too afraid to watch it now!

I was never a big fan of Munchausen but it does have some really incredible imagery. Also a wonderful score.
    Skjelvet (J.A.Andersen, 2018)
    Hadn t seen this since it was in the cinema. Great follow-up to Bølgen, good story, fantastic performances, incredible special effects.
  • edited February 2022 Posts: 2,887
    HK: Forbidden Super Hero (aka Hentai Kamen, 2013).

This low-budget Japanese superhero film must be seen to be believed. Mere words cannot do justice to the premise, which involves a high school nebbish who becomes the scantily clad superhero "Pervert Mask" whenever he puts panties on his face. This gives him pervert superpowers, allowing him to punish criminals...with his crotch.

This magnificently straight-faced parody of superhero films, based on what must be a bonkers manga, proved an unexpected delight. Though the funniest moments are in the first 20 minutes, the film avoids becoming a one-joke comedy and hits the usual beats of superhero/coming-of-age films in a way that should make anyone acquainted with them laugh out loud.
  • edited February 2022 Posts: 6,727
    BRAZIL (1985)

That's interesting @Mathis1 I absolutely love Brazil. I'd say it was Gilliam's best. Having said that, I haven't seen it in many years, so I wonder if I'd feel the same...? I'm almost too afraid to watch it now!

I was never a big fan of Munchausen but it does have some really incredible imagery. Also a wonderful score.

Yes mate. I havent watched BRAZIL in many years, I do recall being really impressed with it in the cinema, but I was very disappointed it didnt live up to that memory I had of it!
    I loved Munchausen, and have watched it frequently, and looking forward to seeing it on bluray! I remember The Fisher King moreso for the drama than the fantasy, but I felt Robin Williams too indulgent in it ( as he was in Munchausen, my least favourite part in the film!) Have yet to watch Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
    I think, at the end of the day, Time Bandits is probably my favourite of Terry Gilliams!
    BRAZIL (1985)

Yes mate. I havent watched BRAZIL in many years, I do recall being really impressed with it in the cinema, but I was very disappointed it didnt live up to that memory I had of it!
    I loved Munchausen, and have watched it frequently, and looking forward to seeing it on bluray! I remember The Fisher King moreso for the drama than the fantasy, but I felt Robin Williams too indulgent in it ( as he was in Munchausen, my least favourite part in the film!) Have yet to watch Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
    I think, at the end of the day, Time Bandits is probably my favourite of Terry Gilliams!

Time Bandits is indeed a wonderful film. They don't make them like that anymore! I searched long and hard for the George Harrison end title song. It wasn't until the advent of the Internet that I discovered it was on his Gone Troppo album!
  • DwayneDwayne New York City

Time Bandits is indeed a wonderful film. They don't make them like that anymore! I searched long and hard for the George Harrison end title song. It wasn't until the advent of the Internet that I discovered it was on his Gone Troppo album!

:)) That's because very few people bought it upon its' 1982 release!!!! Harrison did zero promotion for the album and (according to legend) there were even people in his inner circle that didn't know he had an LP out. Like John Lennon earlier, this was the start of a five-year sabbatical from the business for George. It only made it to 108 on the Billboard top 200 LP list.

GoneTroppo.jpg

"Dream Away" is actually a great song with excellent backing vocals from Billy Preston, Syreeta and Sarah Ricor. And don't forget that Time Bandits was distributed by George's Handmade Films.

PS. I actually bought the LP upon its' release and quite enjoyed it. Very under rated IMO!!!
    Dwayne wrote: »

:)) That's because very few people bought it upon its' 1982 release!!!! Harrison did zero promotion for the album and (according to legend) there were even people in his inner circle that didn't know he had an LP out. Like John Lennon earlier, this was the start of a five-year sabbatical from the business for George. It only made it to 108 on the Billboard top 200 LP list.

GoneTroppo.jpg

"Dream Away" is actually a great song with excellent backing vocals from Billy Preston, Syreeta and Sarah Ricor. And don't forget that Time Bandits was distributed by George's Handmade Films.

PS. I actually bought the LP upon its' release and quite enjoyed it. Very under rated IMO!!!

I'll have to give the whole thing a listen...😁
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    I’m almost embarrassed to say Jackass Forever. I enjoyed it, as you know what it is going in. You need a cheap laugh, this is it. As my dad always says about them, there’s something wrong with those guys, mentally.
    755752b4-b8f1-41d9-b572-c9296cea7657_1.efffe1e574409377996bd61359c89841.jpeg
    (V. Fleming, 1939)

My second viewing of this epic. Looks amazing, and this was my mother s favourite movie of all time. Most sympathetic character here must surely be Olivia de Haviland s Melanie.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    "Death on the Nile" (2022)

This is a return to filmmaking of an earlier era. It’s about the story, not over the top action and set pieces. It’s a beautiful film that is well directed and acted. The score, including songs, is outstanding.

With that said, jaded by modern filmmaking, I found myself getting antsy at times, and had to remind myself to relax and soak it in. A second viewing is definitely in order.

I also want mention the visual style. Some have said it looks fake < I can hear the CG "Karens" , but I think it was a deliberate artistic choice meant to create a surreal, romanticized atmosphere. I loved it. Baz Luhrmann has done the same in his films, particularly “Australia” and “ The Great Gatsby” .
    For me, of course, it had to be No Time To Die. Watched the movie yesterday, and the (too few) bonuses (bonii ?) today. It really holds up well. A very good coda for Craig's Bond.
  • edited February 2022 Posts: 6,727
    DUNE (2021)
    Didnt get to see this in cinemas, and took a punt buying the blu-ray! After watching it, am getting a real Emperors New Clothes about Denis Villeneuve! I didnt like his Blade Runner sequel, Arrival bored me, Prisoners didnt grip me as it should and Sicario was probably his best effort but only ok. He's certainly technically brilliant, and some of the visuals were impressive, but I just wasn't interested in the story he was trying to tell. None of the characters were interesting,what DO people see in Rebecca Ferguson?? ( when Jason Momoa makes the biggest impression from your cast, you've got problems!) and David Lynch handled the weirder aspects of the story better ( think the Sandworms were more interesting in his version too!) It ends on a LOTR style conclusion, but I have zero interest in following these characters for the inevitable sequel! Poor!
    DUNE (2021)
    Didnt get to see this in cinemas, and took a punt buying the blu-ray! After watching it, am getting a real Emperors New Clothes about Denis Villeneuve! I didnt like his Blade Runner sequel, Arrival bored me, Prisoners didnt grip me as it should and Sicario was probably his best effort but only ok. He's certainly technically brilliant, and some of the visuals were impressive, but I just wasn't interested in the story he was trying to tell. None of the characters were interesting,what DO people see in Rebecca Ferguson?? ( when Jason Momoa makes the biggest impression from your cast, you've got problems!) and David Lynch handled the weirder aspects of the story better ( think the Sandworms were more interesting in his version too!) It ends on a LOTR style conclusion, but I have zero interest in following these characters for the inevitable sequel! Poor!

I read the novel for the first time before I saw this and was quite impressed. Not sure why the Kynes character was changed from a male in the book to a female in the film. But then why am I suprised..🙄 But I really liked the adaptation and I'm really looking forward to part 2.

I loved Arrival, and Sicario was my top film of that year. Agree on BR 2049 and Prisoners.

Love me some Rebecca Ferguson! She was great in those Mission Impossible films. She would have been a cracking Craig Bond girl!
    DUNE (2021)

I read the novel for the first time before I saw this and was quite impressed. Not sure why the Kynes character was changed from a male in the book to a female in the film. But then why am I suprised..🙄 But I really liked the adaptation and I'm really looking forward to part 2.

I loved Arrival, and Sicario was my top film of that year. Agree on BR 2049 and Prisoners.

Love me some Rebecca Ferguson! She was great in those Mission Impossible films. She would have been a cracking Craig Bond girl!

I have to disagree mate, regarding Ferguson. I find her very plain looking! Sicario is certainly very watchable as a thriller, Emily Blunt is a much more alluring lady than Ferguson!, even in this tougher role!
    TRUE HISTORY OF THE KELLY GANG (2019)
    Taped this from Film4, another movie I meant to see in cinemas, but didn't! This was a pleasant ( maybe not the right word!) surprise! Based on Peter Careys novel about the notorious outlaw Ned Kelly, George Mackay gives an intense performance in the lead, with a strong performance from Essie Davis as his survivor mother. Plus a wondeful cameo from Russell Crowe. Must mention also Nicholas Hoult as a truly nasty Constable. Justin Kurzels direction is excellent, beautifully shot, and with a haunting score from Jed Kurzel, who I presume is his relative! Despite the title, it claims at the beginning that this telling is untrue, but it does try to depict some of the myths around the character, such as his gangs penchant for wearing dresses!!, and the finale is a stunning nighttime gunfight with Kelly dressed in homemade armour! Well worth a look, I may purchase this on bluray!
    Its certainly better than Tony Richardsons 70's comedic, bizarro version with Mick Jagger in the role of Kelly!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    La noche del terror ciego aka Tombs of The Blind Dead (1971)
    I am not the biggest fan of this first film; none of the characters are particularly interesting or likeable. I know that we are supposed to sympathize with Betty, and I do, up until she is running from the train. At which point, I think she becomes one of the worst final girls in the history of Horror. That said, the Blind Dead/Templars are a great Horror invention, and they make their debut, right here.

El ataque de los muertos sin ojos aka Return Of The Evil Dead (1973)
    Like it's predecessor, there aren't really any characters interesting or likeable enough to root for. However, what put this one ahead of TOMBS, is the fact that the Blind Dead are resurrected much earlier this time around, and the attack on the town is the best part of the film. Good luck trying to count how many Blind Dead there are during the attack, they are.... pouring out from every alleyway. I imagine it being like the early episodes of Doctor Who, where they had only 4 Daleks, and resorted to trickery to make it appear that there were enough to constitute an army.