Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Duel 1971

Steven Spielberg's debut feature film. And what a corker it is!

Haven't seen this in years but I recently acquired the new bluray. A brutally effective thriller as Dennis Weaver's wimpy businessman gets stalked by a psychopathic truck driver in a souped up behemoth.

A lesson in sweaty suspense. Great locations and sharp editing. Love some of the odd characters that crop up in the film.

Well worth a look if you haven’t seen it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Duel 1971

Haven't seen this in years but I recently acquired the new bluray. A brutally effective thriller as Dennis Weaver's wimpy businessman gets stalked by a psychopathic truck driver in a souped up behemoth.

A lesson in sweaty suspense. Great locations and sharp editing. Love some of the odd characters that crop up in the film.

I love Duel. Top ten Spielberg.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Duel 1971

I love Duel. Top ten Spielberg.

Definitely. Almost a rehearsal for Jaws 😁
    APOCALYPSE NOW-REDUX (F. F. Coppola, 2001)
    R.aef65113f33dfbfbfd832022ca4530a4?rik=lbxc%2bpTgScNyrQ&riu=http%3a%2f%2fi.imgur.com%2fEwds9Dp.png&ehk=igZbPu6iwnrvoxe9jTHgYULI6MfKfbCjL9MuXReyDLk%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0
    Seen the original theatrical cut several times, in the cinema, on video and on tv. It s a masterpiece, top 5 Coppola. This version has been waiting on my shelf for twenty years, so it was time.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Into The Sun
    I think someone had watched The Yakuza before writing this, even lifting the '2 good guys assaulting a Yakuza base' climactic battle. Another better than expected film, Seagal is in good enough shape to be convincing, and I didn't notice any obvious doubling or dubbing.

---The Good
    1. Under Siege (1992)
    2. Nico (1988)
    3. Under Siege 2: Dark Territory (1995)
    4. Exit Wounds (2001)
    5. Pistol Whipped (2008)
    6. Fire Down Below (1997)
    7. Into The Sun (2005)
    ---The Bad
    8. Against The Dark (2009)
    9. Flight Of Fury (2007)
    10. Submerged (2005)
    ---The Ugly
    11. Born To Raise Hell (2010)

Sooner or later, I am going to have to wade into the deep end and try his post 2010 stuff.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited January 2022 Posts: 1,430
    [VERY GOOD]
    The Matrix (1999)
    Brazil (1985)

[GOOD]
    No Time To Die (2021)

[FINE]
    Wrath Of Man (2021)
    Dune (2021)
    Licorice Pizza [70MM] (2021)
    The Matrix Revolutions (2003)

[NOT GOOD]
    Don't Look Up (2021)
    Genesis 2.0 (2018)

[VERY BAD]
    N/A
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 8,688
    I suppose some of you guys won't believe this, but tonight both my wife (a few years younger than me) and myself (now 65) watched The Wizard of Oz for the very frst time in our lives. I've had the BD for quite some time but we never felt like putting it into the player tray before.

The only things that we had been familiar with until tonight were the song Over The Rainbow, and the famous, isolatedly known quote "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore". It was quite a pleasant experience to see the entire movie for the first time.
    SLEEPY HOLLOW (T. Burton, 1999)
    This is neither among Burtons best, nor among his worst. You get to see both Lee and Walken here.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    This is neither among Burtons best, nor among his worst. You get to see both Lee and Walken here.

I absolutely love this film and rank it among his best. This is Burton’s “ Hammer” film.
    talos7 wrote: »

I absolutely love this film and rank it among his best. This is Burton’s “ Hammer” film.

I personally like the Disney short better.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Yes, very different films.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 8,688

Yes, very different films.
    I don't know anything about a Disney short, but I do like Burton's movie. Just like about any other Burton movie, which I need to revisit some time soon. Especially sinceI have a feeling I'll come out liking his Batman movies better than those by Chris Nolan. Or at least some.

• edited January 2022 Posts: 6,813
    Yes, if we're talking about Disneys 'The Legend of Sleepy Hollow' it is indeed a wonderful animated short. Though Burtons movie is very good too imo!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Yes, if we're talking about Disneys 'The Legend of Sleepy Hollow' it is indeed a wonderful animated short. Though Burtons movie is very good too imo!

Yes, that s the one.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Bourne Identity
    Bourne Supremacy

I had never seen them before, they're great. Looking forward to the next ones.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Bourne Identity
    Bourne Supremacy

The inspiration for DC's bond ?
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 12,267
    The Scream Franchise. In preparation for the newest release in this series, I watched all the first four films, and then the fifth and latest tonight. Going to share some thoughts here about them all and copy to the horror thread.

Scream (1996) - The original and still the best by a country mile. All the characters, story, originality, comedy, and kills are so on-point. Everything just worked so well here. Easily one of my all-time favorite horror movies and films in general. 10/10
    Scream 2 (1997) - A perfectly decent sequel. I didn't like the decision to
    kill Randy at all
    , but it is what it is. Most of it is good and fun and feels right. 7.5/10
    Scream 3 (2000) - The worst one, and a classic example of threequel curse. Several bad decisions here:
    killing Cotton immediately and not doing anything interesting with him, Sidney's mommy issues, all the BS with Roman and his responsibility for past events
    . This film suffered huge Spectre syndrome, or should I say Spectre suffered big Scream 3 syndrome? That being said, the characters and lines are still awesome, so it's not a total loss despite being so lacking in story. 5/10
    Scream 4 (2011) - Craven's final film and my favorite of the sequels. I loved that it was a standalone experience after 3's stuff, and the villain was definitely the most interesting in the series after the first movie. While not incredible or stunning, it does almost everything right and doesn't make any of the missteps that bothered me in the other sequels. 8/10
    Scream (2022) - The latest, and... not greatest. The film is decent and competently made, but full of wasted potential and things that just irked me.
    Sidney doesn't get near enough screen time, Dewey's arc/death do not feel complete or done well enough, the villains / motivation are not that great,
    and most importantly it's just severely lacking in creativity and originality. While not bad, the film just lacks the spice of the others, and it seems to me if this is the kind of films we'd be getting from now on, there's nowhere to go left with this franchise - at least not with the OG material. I think it's time to let it rest. This is The Force Awakens of the franchise: competent, good characters, and some cool bits, but just way too much retreading and nothing that truly blew me away like I was hoping for. 6.5/10

Ranking:
    1. Scream (1996)
    2. Scream 4 (2011)
    3. Scream 2 (1997)
    4. Scream (2022)
    5. Scream 3 (2000)
    MEMENTO (C. Nolan, 2000)
    a327d730b3b2d45a0acabc1d38e7e99f.jpg
    Clever and original. Every time I watch it I discover something new, or maybe I just forgot since last time. I need a system.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2022 Posts: 23,327
    1051995.jpg
    Iron Man 4K IMAX Enhanced This is a fun film and stands up well, the IMAX sequences look great. The suit in this film is probably my favourite from the movies. Good cast all round, Bridges is one of the better villains in the MCU.

---
    Bourne Identity
    Bourne Supremacy

I recently bought the 5 film set, I still have not got round the watching the last two films. Out of the initial Trilogy the first film is my favourite.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited January 2022 Posts: 2,353
    Jaws 1975
    The last 5-10 minutes of this is the scariest ending to a film ever.
    Anything else come close ?
    EFQSo4K.gif

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    EFQSo4K.gif

Shaw: "Why the hell did I agree to do this damned movie"
    U2: RATTLE AND HUM (P.Joanou, 1988)
    This was very enjoyable in the cinema, and still a good watch.
    indiana-jones-raiders-of-the-lost-ark-ii-i3278.jpg
    40 years on, this holds up pretty well. Entertaining, some good jokes and great shots. They rip off this and that in a clever way.
    Tonight, and with a few days of delay, but in honour of Sidney Poitier, we watched Lilies of the Field (1963). What a wonderful, totally feel-good movie which simply makes you happy. Although I'm sure that today there will be people who find quite a few hairs in the soup, like the very limited (or almost non-existent) presentation or treatment of racism at the time. Anyway, a top contender for my limited top-tier of said "feel-good" movies that pick you up when you're down.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    .images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRELh0kSMv608d-hIOHQzJq4pFS252mCk6Org&usqp=CAU
    Good documentary and such a terrible tragedy, Paul seemed like a good person very down to earth.

I recently rewatched I Am Steve Mcqueen, off screen threre are certainy similaritys between Walker and Mcqueen.

DE USKYLDIGE (E. Vogt, 2021)
    De-uskyldige-bilde-3.jpg?resize=750%2C422&ssl=1
    The Innocents
    is one of the most engaging films I have seen in a long time. One of those films that stay with you long after. Original and exciting, both heartwarming and disturbing, and the performances are outstanding. Don t miss it.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Halloween Kills (2021)
    When I saw people talking about the overuse of "Evil dies tonight" being repeatedly spoken, I thought they were being hyperbolic. They really weren't, it's ridiculous. The residents of Haddonfield are beyond dumb in this one. At times, it felt like the film was going out of it's way to show the townsfolk as moronic, so that we wouldn't fee so bad when Michael starts carving his way through the town. Talking of Michael, this is the best version of The Shape, this far.
    The Dictator (L. Charles, 2012)
    R.94771b480bc876834933c91ef080ad7d?rik=0FnUqsj%2bdeBqrQ&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwallpapershdnow.com%2fimages%2fmovies%2fcomedy%2fthe-dictator%2fthe-dictator-wallpaper-2.jpg&ehk=TjZoXY%2fj5P0ISHAeFT5QtcUondIIvmrVe9rBpfknhDU%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0
    A mixed bag,too silly and forced at times, but it does have some brilliant scenes and jokes. In Wadiya, it was the greatest success of all time.
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 17,279
    Watched OSS 117: From Africa with Love (OSS 117: Alerte rouge en Afrique noire) last night.

oss117zebre.jpg

The third instalment of the OSS 117 spy spoofs takes place in 1981, 14 years after OSS 117: Lost in Rio (OSS 117: Rio ne répond plus...). Hubert Bonisseur de La Bath is assigned a desk job at the service when his younger colleague Serge (OSS 1001) goes missing in an unknown country in Africa, where a revolution is being planned against the country's dictator Bamba. The cluelessly ignorant spy must find Serge and stop the attempts to stage a coup.

Like the first two instalments of the film series, the humour plays on Hubert's ignorance, and it's these moments of the films that works best. Unfortunately the films fails in reaching the same heights as the first two films. One of the highlights of the film for me, is the brief cameo of Moulinier, Jacquard and Calot of A Very Secret Service (Au service de la France), a 1960's set comedy series which recalls the OSS 117 films in style and tone. Both the TV series and this film was written by Jean-François Halin. The more I think of it though, the more I would have liked to see OSS 117 somehow having to work with Moulinier, Jacquard and Calot rather than Serge/OSS 1001. It's a shame they didn't take this further than a brief cameo when placing them all in the same universe. Oh well.

The additional end credits scene opens up the possibility for a fourth OSS 117 film, and a potential plot. Even though From Africa with Love didn't live up to my expectations, I certainly hope they make another film with Hubert Bonisseur de La Bath.

Funny thing: I had the opportunity to watch this film or NTTD for the first time last night, and I picked OSS 117. Don't know what that means.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDkBXIiuI5y4jYv0jcJ5R_NM3QFIFFd5-a8g&usqp=CAU
    Definitely the weakest of the Ustinov Poirot films, decent cast though Winners direction is sloppy at times and the score is horrendous. Looks very dated compared to the earlier better films.