Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Anybody seen any of those Crispin Glover films that he tours with? Like What Is It?
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,352
    The Third Man 1949
    A Must watch movie.
    c103945714edf9a99494894c9e3a9ad4.gif
    s-af55418a18182b338d85a8e961858ceed9ddbefe.gif?fit=635%2C383&ssl=1
    P505.gif
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuvR_PPOx-61MJcZYZUMDdirALfQ8OOZ95Fg&usqp=CAU
    The timeless classic... Casablanca though not my favourite Bogey movie.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    THE MATRIX RELOADED+THE MATRIX REVOLUTIONS (The Wachowski Brothers, 2003)
    maxresdefault.jpg
    Reloaded gets a weak start, but improves as it goes along. Revolutions has its moments, but most of it is a long uninteresting action borefest. I like the symbolism in the wider mythology, and it is refreshing to see Anthony Zerbe in a sympathetic role for once.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,619
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns and @007InAction
    You could spend a nice Sunday afternoon by pairing off “North by Northwest” with “From Russia With Love” or “The Third Man” with “The Living Daylights.”

When I posted my “Last Movie Watched” write-up on “The Third Man”, I listed several direct connections between that film and the Bond series. And, of course, the first sighting of Orson Wells’ “Harry Lime” is one of the greatest character introductions in all of film history IMO.

As for Humphrey Bogart, I agree about “Casablanca” not being my favorite movie of his (of course, I adore “Casablanca” and have seen it more times than I can count and can quote entire sections of dialogue at the drop of a hat!). In a career of great movies, ‘In A Lonely Place” (1950) stands out for me as being his best performance. And as a major fan of classic era Film Noir, it is also one of my top 5 movies of all-time. I’ve been meaning to post a write-up on the film for a long time, but editing my draft is proving to be difficult – it’s that good (not my writing, the MOVIE)

And of course....Gloria Grahame :x
    640px-GloriaGrahame.jpg
    c3072d279df65c2a102035939ca3a1f1.jpg
    (P, Chung, 2003)

About half of the shorts in this anthology are great. I like Kid s Story, Beyond an A Detective Story, but most of all The Second Renaissance, pt I and II.
  • Second Renaissance I & II are by far the best. I'm also a big fan of Beyond, Program, and World Record. They all have something of interest.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The Matrix in 4K one of the best in the genre.
  • Whirlybird_FanWhirlybird_Fan Sydney, Australia
    The Killer (Dip Huet Seung Hung) (1989, Hong Kong)

Phenomenal, entertaining action film by John Woo; well-staged action scenes, top-notch acting and a great script all combine to produce an outstanding gem in action cinema.

Well worth a look if you haven't seen it.
    4/5
    The Killer (Dip Huet Seung Hung) (1989, Hong Kong)

Phenomenal, entertaining action film by John Woo; well-staged action scenes, top-notch acting and a great script all combine to produce an outstanding gem in action cinema.

Well worth a look if you haven't seen it.
    4/5

Blimey, haven't seen this in years! Still probably the best film from John Woo! I remember Director Walter Hill was mooted for a remake, but decided quite wisely, that the original couldnt be improved upon!
    Watched 3 different versions of Dickens A Christmas Carol over the past Christmas week!
    The 1951 version with Alastair Sim, probably the best adaption, with Sim perfectly cast.
    The 1970 musical, 'Scrooge', with Albert Finney, and an all star cast of Michael Hordern, Alec Guiness and Kenneth More!
    And Robert Zemeckis animated take from 2009, with Jim Carrey, which I saw in the cinema.I usually avoid Carrey in anything, but he does a good job here, and it has my favourite opening of the three with Marleys corpse!
    The musical I never really bothered with before, but its quite enjoyable, with a wonderful titles sequence by cartoonist Ronald Searle!
    CHICKEN RUN (N. Park, 2000)
    This is pretty good, well crafted. Love the facial expressions.

And of course, a great riff on The Great Escape!
    Mathis1 wrote: »

That, too. Some good jokes throughout, especially the more dramatic ones.
    Mathis1 wrote: »

That, too. Some good jokes throughout, especially the more dramatic ones.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 23,267
    harry-potter-20th-anniversary-return-to-hogwarts-1639744964.jpg?crop=0.952xw:0.761xh;0.0230xw,0.137xh&resize=480:*
    Harry Potter 20th Anniversary
    Worth a look for fans of Harry Potter, it was fun catching up with the cast years later, an interesting retrospective of the 8 movies. A great series of films.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Star Trek: The Next Generation movies (VII-X)
    A week ago I finally got around to finishing TNG show and almost immediately had to start TNG movies because I didn’t want the adventures of Jean-Luc Picard and his crew to be over yet. The movies started off weak with Generations but only got better from there. Now that I’ve finished these movies I’m itching to watch Picard!

1) X: Nemesis
    2) VIII: First Contact
    3) IX: Insurrection
    4) VII: Generations

edited January 2022 Posts: 23,267
    Star Trek: The Next Generation movies (VII-X)
    A week ago I finally got around to finishing TNG show and almost immediately had to start TNG movies because I didn’t want the adventures of Jean-Luc Picard and his crew to be over yet. The movies started off weak with Generations but only got better from there. Now that I’ve finished these movies I’m itching to watch Picard!

1) X: Nemesis
    2) VIII: First Contact
    3) IX: Insurrection
    4) VII: Generations

Solid films though quite a distance from the OG cast six movies, First Contact is arguably the best though I never felt the TNG cast got there classic Star Trek film.

Picard is OK, without giving anything away best to view it as a sequel to Nemesis more than the TV show.

Nemesis is a film that has got better with time for me, probably my second favorite TNG film now despite taking plot points from other Trek.
    BRAM STOKER S DRACULA (F. F. Coppola, 1992)
    7700855a650432a0fc8f46b94933402d--bram-stokers-dracula-count-dracula.jpg
    Magnificent movie that looked even better on the big screen. Top three Dracula.
    THE ITALIAN JOB ( 1969)
    Well back to work today, so last night I thought I'd give this a watch to cheer me! Never fails, Michael Caine, 3 mini coopers, Quincy Jones jaunty score, great location work, a plethora of British talent ( Noel Coward, Irene Handl, John Le Mesurier, Benny Hill!) and a cliffhanger ending
    ( Literally!) This is the bluray, but it doesn't have the terrific animated cars menu of the DVD SE!
    All together now..."This is the South Preservation Society.."
  • La Haine (1995)

Brilliant filmmaking. Totally immerses you in this world. Cracking performances. Stunning ending. Just a real cinematic accomplishment.
    full.naturalbornkillers-21697__11359.1556888358.jpg?c=2?imbypass=on
    I used to really like this movie, and I get it is a satirical commentary, but I found it noisy, chaotic and unpleasant this time.

Funny scene:
    Mickey: "Drop it!"
    Cop drops his donut.
    Mickey: "The shotgun, goddamnit!"
  • I used to really like this movie, and I get it is a satirical commentary, but I found it noisy, chaotic and unpleasant this time.

Funny scene:
    Cop drops his donut.

I haven't seen this one in a long time and might react similarly to it today, but I recall being blown away by its hyper stylized editing, hyper eclectic soundtrack, and hyper exaggerated performances. Robert Downey, Jr. was bonkers in this. Tommy Lee Jones was bonkers in this. Everybody was bonkers in this.
    I used to really like this movie, and I get it is a satirical commentary, but I found it noisy, chaotic and unpleasant this time.

Funny scene:
    Cop drops his donut.

I haven't seen this one in a long time and might react similarly to it today, but I recall being blown away by its hyper stylized editing, hyper eclectic soundtrack, and hyper exaggerated performances. Robert Downey, Jr. was bonkers in this. Tommy Lee Jones was bonkers in this. Everybody was bonkers in this.

Absolutely, especially Rodney Dangerfield. That was a great segment.
  • I used to really like this movie, and I get it is a satirical commentary, but I found it noisy, chaotic and unpleasant this time.

Funny scene:
    Cop drops his donut.

Absolutely, especially Rodney Dangerfield. That was a great segment.

Yes, Dangerfield was just as bonkers as any of them in that scene.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    One of the last movies I saw, like a month ago, is The Cabinet of Dr. Ramirez. I was intrigued by the title and poster at first, and later by the fact it's a little-known silent film with mainstream US actors... made in 1991. It played in some film festivals back in the day, like Cannes and Sundance, and didn't get a theatrical release outside of that. Too weird for that, I'm sure. In fact, I think it didn't even get a home video release; it just had some broadcasts on TV in the US and France. There's a copy available on YouTube.

The director Peter Sellars --no, not Sellers!-- comes across as highly pretentious in his introduction to the US TV broadcast. He almost sounds like he's making fun of the viewer. And the film is, uh, experimental, by which I mean crazy, loco, bananas. Definitely not for everyone. I'm sure plenty of people back in the day thought it was crap, and I don't blame them. I did enjoy it, though. Quite a bit. Unique film. It has a great urban mood and terrific, mostly wall-to-wall music from John Adams' Harmonielehre and some Tibetan monks. Music is the only kind of sound you'll find in the film, and it's there so much of the time, that the few moments of absolute silence between the end of one piece of music, and the beginning of the next one, are powerful.

The film is so open-ended, narratively, that it obviously invites interpretation. In fact, you could say it's so open-ended it says nothing at all. But even though I didn't watch the director's introduction at first, and just went in with the info I gathered from a synopsis and a couple of reviews (quoting a phrase of two from the director), I think I still managed to make sense out of the movie.

But beyond meaning and interpretation and what have you, watching the film is a bit like being in a trance. It's about letting the sights and sounds wash over you. The film isn't just silent: there is no dialogue, so no intertitles. In fact, the only written text is in the shape of a few business cards with cryptic messages on them. There is a scene in which two characters talk on the phone and we never see them moving their lips. The conversation is happening but we are always shown the person who is listening at the moment, not the one who is talking. Is someone even talking or is this an abstract representation of a conversation? Who knows, but it's fascinating stuff.

While Ramirez has some things in common with the similarly-titled German film, it's not really a remake, I think. The bits of story that are taken from Caligari serve a different purpose here.

Reading articles and interviews, it seems much of the film was improvised between the director and the actors. I guess it's a success in the sense it didn't turn out to be an incoherent mess...

or did it?

52286-the-cabinet-of-dr-ramirez.webp
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I haven't done this for a few weeks, but last night, I continued my deep dive into the films of Steven Seagal with Against The Dark (2009). Seagal and his merry band of hunters, track down... I don't know, the film couldn't decide. Were they zombies? Were they vampires? Who knows?

---The Good
    1. Under Siege (1992)
    2. Nico (1988)
    3. Under Siege 2: Dark Territory (1995)
    4. Exit Wounds (2001)
    5. Pistol Whipped (2008)
    6. Fire Down Below (1997)
    ---The Bad
    7. Against The Dark (2009)
    8. Flight Of Fury (2007)
    9. Submerged (2005)
    ---The Ugly
    10. Born To Raise Hell (2010)

• ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Last night I went and saw The King's Man in the theatre, which just released here in Germany. I'd say it's a 2 out of 5 from me, I think. Just really confused and confusing film. Seems like they didn't know where they wanted to go.
    I personally enjoy the first two films very much. I rewatched the first one before going to see the new one and was surprised by how much I liked it. There are surely things to dislike, but the film absolutely knows what it is and wants to do and it goes there without looking back. Everyone is in on the joke and play it to the fullest and camera work, fight choreography and production design are just a joy.
    In the new one, it seems like several characters are in completely different films. They apparently just couldn't bring themselves to have a film with this subject matter be as silly as the first two, but then they have to at least nod towards the franchise they are setting up. So suddenly you have that Rasputin scene f.e., which is in a weird way both a highlight and a lowlight. It's where they get the closest to the mind-melting fun action pieces of the first films, but given what the rest of the story of this film is, it's such a ridiculous departure, I was sitting there wondering what the hell just happened. And then once I had recalibrated and was happy that this was the direction we are going in, it returns to dour WWI drama.
    And while that is superficial, this has always been a very superficial franchise so in the end: The film just isn't cool.
    hardware-12736l.jpg
    Richard Stanley s cult classic is one I never tire of.
    Two movies (well, one movie, and one made-for-TV one). First, The 355 : Nice movie to start the new year. I won't buy the DVD, but I won't mind if somebody gives it to me as a gift. Great action scenes, and quite a few nice double crosses along the way. One thing bothered me, though :
    How the heck did those four women manage to get into a military plane en route for China, when they were pursued by every spy agency in the world ? And where did they get those wonderful toys ?

Magnificent Thief : the (unaired in France) pilot to the Robert Wagner series It Takes a Thief. Nice. Hope I can find the time to watch the other 65 episodes.