Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Taking a break from some games that are making me bitter to watch some blu-rays I've purchased in the last few months and have yet to watch. Just started 'The Silence of the Lambs,' and while it isn't a blu-ray, may follow it up with Jackie Chan's 'Who Am I?', thanks to @chrisisall for bringing it up. Picked up a large amount of Chan films lately that I'm looking forward to diving in to.
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    Taking a break from some games that are making me bitter to watch some blu-rays I've purchased in the last few months and have yet to watch. Just started 'The Silence of the Lambs,' and while it isn't a blu-ray, may follow it up with Jackie Chan's 'Who Am I?', thanks to @chrisisall for bringing it up. Picked up a large amount of Chan films lately that I'm looking forward to diving in to.

Check out armour of god and drunken master two of his best. Project A and Police story series is worth a look also mate.
    @fire_and_ice, I own both 'Armor of God' films and 'Police Story 1' and 'New Police Story,' alongside many other greats: 'Gorgeous,' 'Rumble in the Bronx,' etc. I can't wait to get to them all.
    Started watching Michael Clayton and ended it about 20 minutes in.

Boring, and a victim of what I call 'over-writing'.

I liked the character they set up with Clooney/Clayton, but I wish they had stuck to his job, and not gone in on his personal problems with the bar and his kids.

Just a man with a cool job executing said cool job. Don't over-complicate it.

-/10 I won't rank it as I didn't finish it.. and won't.
  • rumble in Bronx one of his better early hollywood movies. If i remember the protector was his first attempt to crack hollywood was not that good. Grew up watching Jackie Chan, samo hung and yun bieu movies, excuse poor spelling :-) Meals on wheels and dragons forever are worth a look also if you not seen them
    edited November 2012 Posts: 40,547
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

I liked the character they set up with Clooney/Clayton, but I wish they had stuck to his job, and not gone in on his personal problems with the bar and his kids.

I don't blame you. I forced myself to sit through it once and found it to be incredibly dull and boring. One of the films that tries too hard to create a compelling story but falls flat and dull.

@fire_and_ice, I believe I also have 'Dragons Forever.' I picked up an eight film DVD pack from Best Buy for only $5, and I want to say that was part of it.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The Chinese version of Jackie's "The Accidental Spy" is VERY good IMO, but the US version was hacked up badly because 9-11 had just happened and the movie touched on terrorism.

• Creasy47 wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

I don't blame you. I forced myself to sit through it once and found it to be incredibly dull and boring. One of the films that tries too hard to create a compelling story but falls flat and dull.

@fire_and_ice, I believe I also have 'Dragons Forever.' I picked up an eight film DVD pack from Best Buy for only $5, and I want to say that was part of it.

That's a bargain mate, never had any of Jackie Chan movies on dvd, had them on video. showing my age a bit, probably time i revisited them. Other than the shanghai movies and rush hour films not really bothered with alot of his most recent films @chrisisall oh i watched around the world in 80s days lol
    @fire_and_ice, was that any good?
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    @fire_and_ice, was that any good?

Around the world in 80 days? it not bad, Arnies cameo is amusing because its ludicrous, though i am a big arnie fan. Some of the fight scenes with Jackie are pretty decent.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Creasy47 wrote:
    was that any good?

Overall it wasn't all that, but amusing if you're in the right mood...action was very good though.
    "Watchmen" Not what i expected and pretty gory, enjoyed it though.

"Avengers Assemble" Brilliant! Do not need to say anymore on this one! :-bd
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    RogueAgent wrote:
    "Watchmen" Not what i expected and pretty gory, enjoyed it though.

"Avengers Assemble" Brilliant! Do not need to say anymore on this one! :-bd

Have you read the graphic novel?
    Was 'Watchmen' action-packed? I really don't recall. I've been debating picking it up during Black Friday, but I just don't recall much from the movie.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Was 'Watchmen' action-packed? I really don't recall. I've been debating picking it up during Black Friday, but I just don't recall much from the movie.

Well...yeah, but that's not what is important. Have you read the graphic novel?
    edited November 2012 Posts: 40,547
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I remember the fantastic story, I just don't recall if there was any action to it. It's one of those films that I remember "loving," but it's been so long that it's hard to recall if my memory fails me. I know that isn't what's important, but it's still nice.

I have so many movies here and there that I've been interested in picking up, but don't recall much from. 'Terminator: Salvation' was another that I remember enjoying in theaters, but that was many years ago. I may impulse purchase them, they're only a few dollars a film.

Starting my Bondathon tonight!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited November 2012 Posts: 23,615
    Breaking Dawn pt.2 :'(

Having sat through all five of these Twilight films, I now feel sorry for myself. Granted, I did it against my free will: the girlfriend blinked her eyes often enough to remind me how much I love her and thus I succumbed to her charms. But, and I must emphasise this, I do not come out of this unscathed. Especially the fourth film in the series leaves a bitter taste in my mouth for never have I seen such an unhealthy film for teenagers, dealing with typical teen angst in entirely the wrong way, suggesting to girls that the 'first time' will hurt like mad, even after marriage, and that teen pregnancies are the worst thing there is. I find this extremely conservative point of view a trifle overpronounced in Breaking Dawn pt.1.

Fortunately, there's pt.2, the recently released final film (thank God) in the saga, and this one I must admit is a lot better and might even rise to be the only one in the entire saga I can safely recommend. Anyone who's watched the trailer knows that in this film we shall see
    a huge battle at the end with spectacular fights
    and that alone, I think, makes this film watchable. To be frank, I'm giving it a lot of open space for I care neither for the characters, nor for the sloppy screenwriting I've tried to endure over the last couple of days.

That said, whatever optimism I may radiate for this film, let me be perfectly honest by saying that
    I
    downright hate how the battle itself, which culminates in some highly dramatic losses of 'favourable' characters, turns out to be nothing but a ... vision! I resent this type of cheating. It's only a dream! It's only a vision! It's only an alternate reality! I've seen Next, I did not like it and one of many reasons is exactly the fact that the big twist is always the fact of a big cheat. Yuk!

So, overall I cannot say I hated this fifth film but I'm nowhere near a fan of Twilight. I'm of the wrong age and the wrong gender for that.

But the girlfriend's charming eyes flicker happily and that, my friends, is what true satisfaction is all about for me.
    @DarthDimi, I suffered through the same exact torture for equal reasons. The only one I missed was 'Eclipse,' but I'm sure she'll have me get around to that soon enough.

I couldn't agree more that:
    The finale fight was fantastic - lots of memorable losses and interesting sequences throughout - but turned into a major copout by proving to be a vision. And what was up with Sheen's incredibly creepy laughter before the fight broke out? This whole film, though better than the first, was a mess, especially that CG baby. I'm surprised they didn't put that baby in DAD somehow.
    @Creasy47, Eclipse is slightly better than 1, 2 or 4 IMO. It was directed by David Slade, the man responsible for Hard Candy and 30 Days Of Night.

Anyway, Taylor Lautner HAS to start taking serious acting lessons if he ever plans of becoming an actor. I've seen him in Abduction also, a fairly silly film if you ask me, and his 'acting' never seems to reach acceptable heights.
    @DarthDimi, he has done enough for me in both 'Abduction' and the 'Twilight' serious. His acting is abysmal, and I care to see him no other franchises or films.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @DarthDimi, he has done enough for me in both 'Abduction' and the 'Twilight' serious. His acting is abysmal, and I care to see him no other franchises or films.

Weren't they setting him up as Craig's successor for 007?

=P~

(just joking :D)

Seriously, just joking!! :-S
    DarthDimi wrote:
    @Creasy47, Eclipse is slightly better than 1, 2 or 4 IMO. It was directed by David Slade, the man responsible for Hard Candy and 30 Days Of Night.

Anyway, Taylor Lautner HAS to start taking serious acting lessons if he ever plans of becoming an actor. I've seen him in Abduction also, a fairly silly film if you ask me, and his 'acting' never seems to reach acceptable heights.
    Creasy47 wrote:

Well lucky for him we live in a world where mainstream teenage girls filled to the brim with hormones eat anything up that is thrown at them. I saw a video where Justin Bieber (hurts to even type it) was on a live interview show, and girls were all in tears at the sight on him. Seriously? This punk has such a God complex it is nauseating. Back what I was saying, the Twilight series sickens me for being a success though it is garbage, like Michael Bay's films at the present time, and the films ruin the scary macabre like specter that Vampires SHOULD always be. I am ashamed to see such a thing happen.
    @DarthDimi, nearly had a heart attack! I could honestly say that I would be done with the Bond series during his tenure. I would rather watch Danny Devito as 007 before I witnessed a shirtless Lautner dumping all over the screen.

Vampires SHOULD be scary, and I recall seeing some pretty entertaining vampire flicks that didn't involve them glistening or falling in love, such as '30 Days of Night' and John Carpenter's 'Vampires.'
    John Carpenter's Vampires. YES! I knew I would one day find someone who also appreciates that film. Critics panned it - Dimi loved it. :P Sheryl Lee takes such offensive abuses from James Woods in this film, it never ceases to put a dirty smile on my face. ;-)

Vampires can be all sorts of things, but one thing they cannot be is sparkling sunlight-proof veggies.

lost+boys+poster.jpg

Give me Bela Lugosi as Dracula over Robert Pattinson as Edward Cullen any day!
    DarthDimi wrote:
    John Carpenter's Vampires. YES! I knew I would one day find someone who also appreciates that film. Critics panned it - Dimi loved it. :P Sheryl Lee takes such offensive abuses from James Woods in this film, it never ceases to put a dirty smile on my face. ;-)

Vampires can be all sorts of things, but one thing they cannot be is sparkling sunlight-proof veggies.

lost+boys+poster.jpg

Give me Bela Lugosi as Dracula over Robert Pattinson as Edward Cullen any day!

Ha, @Dimi you have once again made my day. I think Pattinson only got the role because he really is deathly pale all the time, and the studio probably found him to be very vampire like. :))
    @DarthDimi, really? That's awesome! I always love finding those small(er) films that someone else loves. 'Vampires' was so enjoyable, and Woods was great in it. Thomas Ian Griffith as Valek was so scary.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Good on you for seeing all the Twilight films guys! Now we just hope it isn't remade in a few years, you know what Hollywood is like.
    I think they will now focus on that Hunger Games thing. I was pressured into seeing the first and so far only released film in that series-to-be and boy does it show major resemblances to Twilight, at least in terms of its demographic and the methods it uses for appealing to said demographic. However, I found the film much more intriguing, better acted and better scripted than Twilight, so there's hope. A glimmer of hope.

Or I'm simply too old for this. ;-)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I watched The Hunger Games purely going on the good reviews. I liked it a lot and hope the others (three more) are just as good.

The Mortal Instruments is the next book-to-film series, starting next year. Can't wait for that...

Let's face it, nothing will top what Harry Potter did, where the characters grow in age as the films went on.
    I'm ashamed to admit I'm the newbie on any HP discussion. I've neither read the books nor watched any of the films. It's on my to do list for sure but I will need to find the time. The books - mèh, don't think I'll ever read them. Like with The Lord Of The Rings, I'll happily limit myself to the films and keep reading my beloved science fiction classics instead. ;-)