Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited December 2012 Posts: 4,043
    Sightseers 2012

Equally funny as it is horrific, It might seem to start that Ben Wheatley has lightened after his venture into darkness with his horrific second feature Kill List. Once again the director shows a deft touch for putting a magnifying glass over ordinary British life and injects far more humour into his third film than previously but the comedy never defuses the horror when it comes.. With a screenplay provided by stars Steve Osram and Alice Lowe assisted by Wheatley's Wife and Kill List collaborator Amy Jump..

Wheatley equally proficient in lensing the character moments and humour as well as making the horror distinctively bleak and realistic never playing violent acts for comedy value aided by some impressive gory special effects, shocking the viewer rather than eliciting laughs.

Coming over like Mike Leigh directing Natural Born Killers, both Lowe and Osram as newly met couple Tina and Chris are ordinary but horrific versions of Mickey and Mallory devoid of the glamour and celebrity. With Osram seemingly the monster of the proceedings but exposure to her new partner, Tina emerges as an equally terrifying proposition and her actions drive the final segment of the film to it's surprising conclusion.

Jim Williams once again for Wheatley provides an atmospheric score and a rather eerie cover of Donovan's "Season of The Witch" is used to devastating effect. The sound design again is sickening in the key scenes and Laurie Rose's cinematography showcases the gorgeous English countryside, while using real life attractions like the Crich Tramway Village or the Pencil Museum, the film may well emerge as an enticing tourist incentive.

A Hugely funny and shocking British film, Wheatley continues to impress and is becoming one of the biggest talents to emerge in the UK in somtime, thoroughly recommended.

• QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    600full-soldier-poster.jpg

One if my favorite action movies and one of Kurt Russell's best.
    Just finished watching Harry Brown - with the one and only Mr Caine
    Good gritty story, British version of a kind of Death Wish
    Slow burner to start 6/10
  • Crocodile Dundee. Wonderful movie!
  • 600full-soldier-poster.jpg

I love this film! Might have to pull it out tonight!

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited December 2012 Posts: 28,694
    largo2 wrote:
    Just finished watching Harry Brown - with the one and only Mr Caine
    Good gritty story, British version of a kind of Death Wish
    Slow burner to start 6/10

I adore Harry Brown. Michael is just great and I love t
    he ending where Harry stops and makes his way to the tunnel.
    Probably my favorite non-action moment of the film.

bad·ass/ˈbadˌas/
    Noun:
    A tough, aggressive, or uncooperative person.
    Adjective:
    Tough or aggressive: "a badass temper".
    Examples: Sean Connery, Humphrey Bogart, Clint Eastwood, Liam Neeson
    For further examples, see Michael Caine in Harry Brown
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Big Lebowski 1998
    The greatest R Rated comedy I've ever watched and loved! =))
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    600full-soldier-poster.jpg

I love this film! Might have to pull it out tonight!

It really is a great film and I just don't understand why it got such bad reviews. But in the end I guess it doesn't really matter because I enjoy watching this film. So much, in fact, that I'm thinking of watching it tonight.
    Fun fact, the man who co-wrote Blade Runner wrote the script for Soldier. He considers Soldier to be in the same universe as Blade Runner and even put in some references to the film, as well as other movies and even one to the Doom video game.

Murdock wrote:
    The Big Lebowski 1998

The dude rocks.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited December 2012 Posts: 40,492
    I was looking for a good film with similarities of Carpenter's 'The Thing' the other night, so I caught 'Leviathan' on Netflix, as it seemed pretty close. It was pretty entertaining. A little slow on the get up, and while it wasn't so much a mystery, it gave a great claustrophobic feel to it. I was thinking about watching 'Mimic' after that, but I'm not sure how it might be. It didn't look all that great to me.
    The Way of the Gun- Sadly underrated Sam Peckingaph like Thriller from the writer of the Usual Suspects Christopher McQuairre. Benico Del toro, Ryan Philippe, Juliette Lewis, James Cann star and its got the bst opening to a film ever with Sarah silverman getting the crap beaten out of her. Its pretty bleak and violent but such a great film.
    001 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    The Big Lebowski 1998

The dude rocks.

The Dude Abides! ^:)^
    Thirteen (Tv movie). Stephen Dorff and Val Kilmer. Was a very odd movie. Was not too struck on the editing style either! :-q
  • Re-watched Se7en last night. Fantastic film!
    Re-watched Se7en last night. Fantastic film!

I find it a terrific movie, but I rarely watch it and walk away in a light mood. It is a very dark movie.
  • SaintMark wrote:
    I find it a terrific movie, but I rarely watch it and walk away in a light mood. It is a very dark movie.

Yes -- it is not light-hearted. ;)

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Re-watched Se7en last night. Fantastic film!

One of the best indeed. Unrelenting and you truly hate that you can't do a thing to stop it. I have rarely been that at a loss at the end of a film before.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Dredd 3D

No point in having the 3D but the film itself rocks like mad! :P Me likes.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    crawlspace2t.jpg

Klaus Kinski crawling around the ducts of his appartment bulding, killing his tennants. Kinski really should have been cast as a Bond Villain. But then how could you possibly top Kinski? Well... you couldn't.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    The Man With The Iron Fists.

Some dodgy editing in parts but apart from that it's a nice 90 minutes of OTT kung fu. Some very cool weapons and villians. Story is a bit meh but really who's watching this for the story?

Like I said, you won't get a moving story or anything but if you want to see a fun, OTT kung fu action film where Lucy Lui is in charge of a whore house and the villian turns into gold to block attacks, then you should definetly see it.

And oh yeah, Russel Crowe is brilliant. Steals every scene. One of his best performances I reckon.

Hurry up though, it's only in the cinema (in the UK at least) for about a week.
    Recorded Predators last night! Will let you know my thoughts once i have watched it within the next couple of days?
    A double bill for me, gents.

The American (2010)
    George Clooney

I have seen The American 3 times now. I hated it in my first viewing at theaters, but really found the glory in it, a la QoS. I love how the story is more of an intimate character study of Jack, George's character, and how and why he does what he does. We start the film hating him, but it is safe to say you will have empathy for him. Jack is bloody compelling, and his struggles with his profession (assassin and gunmaker) and his inability to stop making friends lead to the massive paranoia that follows his psyche across the duration of the film. It is short, but very sweet. Sadly the film was badly marketed as an action piece, with 1 and a half minute trailers showing literally all the action in the film. But it makes up for it. Action is not the only thing that can excite us as moviegoers. The thrilling paranoia Jack is afflicted with and the biting suspense as he is surrounded by faces he doesn't know if he can trust trump any two minute action scene. The cinematography is jaw dropping, the views of mountains in Italy somoe of the most striking ever when compared to the more bustling streets of Rome and a far off flat land by a river where Jack finds some solace. And the acting is magnificent, a real feat. George does the extraordinary, taking a role that demands so much (low on dialogue that most roles) and still makes us care for Jack as he does such everyday things as a workout regimen or fixing a gun like a doctor carefully inspecting a patient on the operating table. So, overall, I would recommend this film to all of you. If you love Bond, especially Fleming where he isn't a damn superhero, this is the film for you. There is brilliant twists and moments of suspense that beautifully carry the film mixed with bursts of Jack facing men on his tail in some chases and cat and mouse shooting games. These action bits don't take away from the film, and more show Jack's ruthless nature as we are conflicted about our opinions on him. I will do a full review at another juncture, as I like to dissect this film.

Iron Man 2 (2010)
    Robert Downey Jr., Mickey Rourke

Well, this one was okay. The comedy is still there with some good effects and acting, but falls flat compared to the first one, legions better in every way. Downey is still great as always, and it is nice to see a more serious and broken Stark than previous as his life is in danger through much of the film, both from his own vices and with the help of others. Pepper is underused, and Don Cheadle can't even begin to hold a flame to Terence Howard. His every line is uninspired and lacks any strength. Scarlett Johansson is just horrid. She says her lines so weakly it makes me face palm, and I hope she is better in The Avengers when I finally watch that one. Mickey Rourke is like many other characters: Heavily underused. I am sick of seeing such interesting villains not given their fair share of screen time. Sam Rockwell is an interesting villain in Hammer, and is one of the best additions to the film. I really love the dialogue, and though much is done better in Iron Man 1, 2 isn't a stinker and I look forward to 3 with anticipation.
    The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
    Christian Bale, Tom Hardy

Excellent, my favorite of the Dark Knight Trilogy. My new favorite Batman film next to B1989. :D
    edited December 2012 Posts: 1,575
    The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
    Very dark film until the end part with very little humour or fun in it.
    Zimmer's music is played for a lot of the film and over a lot of the dialogue.
    Bane sucks and so does batmans voice.
    The best part of the film is Anne Hathaway and Marion Cotillard.
    6.5/10
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,506
    Watched "predators" today! Have to say i really enjoyed it, and took me back to the original. Certainly did not end how i thought it would?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    AEon Flux: the animated series

flux1.gif

I'm into this cyber punk stuff. I watched the episodes as a kid and was mightily thrilled when they released the show on DVD in 2005.

Peter Chung's deliberately confusing stories actually help the philosophically inspiring subtexts the show provides.

From the Pilot over the first shorts to the 10 episodes of normal length, here's a show that might amuse and entertain you if you are a fan of say The Matrix, Ghost In The Shell and Cyber City.

Yes - There's also a Hollywood film of sorts. Let's not discuss that one now. ;-)
    Jaws 2, an enjoyable movie with a rather shocking ending.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Watched TDKR Saturday night, first time since the cinema, it really feels it's length and for me is easily the weakest of the trilogy.

I know some think it's the best but for me TDK runs rings around this, it feels tight and well paced and the plot while still with it's holes is nowhere as perforated as Rises. I thought I might have revised my opinion with a second viewing and it would have topped Begins but no it still remains the runt of the litter.

Just like the original Star Wars trilogy for me in order of quality

Batman and Gordon's final scene though must be one of my favourite of the trilogy and must commend Nolan, Jonah & Goyer for weaving all 3 films together so cohesively but the ambition of this final film and trying to tackle too much just leaves it bloated and far too slow, I also thought for all the complaints about TDK's script it was much better than this.

3.5/5
  • Watched " Alex Cross" at the weekend, don't waste your money, if anyone thinks SF has plot holes, jee whiz this is a a block of Jarlsberg cheese.
    Shardlake wrote:
    Watched TDKR Saturday night, first time since the cinema, it really feels it's length and for me is easily the weakest of the trilogy.

I know some think it's the best but for me TDK runs rings around this, it feels tight and well paced and the plot while still with it's holes is nowhere as perforated as Rises. I thought I might have revised my opinion with a second viewing and it would have topped Begins but no it still remains the runt of the litter.

Just like the original Star Wars trilogy for me in order of quality

Batman and Gordon's final scene though must be one of my favourite of the trilogy and must commend Nolan, Jonah & Goyer for weaving all 3 films together so cohesively but the ambition of this final film and trying to tackle too much just leaves it bloated and far too slow, I also thought for all the complaints about TDK's script it was much better than this.

3.5/5

Interesting. The great thing about the Nolan trilogy is that each film has its own themes. No two films are alike, yet feed into each other, connecting Bruce's story in a satisfying conclusion. I will be watching and re-watching these wonderful films until the day I die. Batman done as he always should be.