Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

I've seen her in a few films and she NEVER disappoints..quite a bankable actress actually.
    ee6588bd12e06b07b7ca759978b30053.jpg

Just random, but the other day I sat down and casually watched 'What's Eating Gilbert Grape' (I had seen it multiple times so it was just sort of on in the background)
    I got curious and looked at imdb to see what became of Darlene Cates.

I suppose I wasn't surprised to see that she had died, but it was a bit of a shock that it was barely a month ago! I never heard a word; did anyone else? That's a shame!

Decent movie though- I remember back when it came out, when Leonardo DiCaprio wasn't that well known; it was widely thought that he was actually mentally disabled! He's quite a talented actor, even back then!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I don't mind her as an actress. Whether I admire her as a person is an entirely different story.
    Amber Heard ?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    jake24 wrote: »
    I don't mind her as an actress. Whether I admire her as a person is an entirely different story.
    +1. Agreed. Unfortunately, lots of celebrities in their personal lives are unpleasant people.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Amber Heard ?
    Yeah. I get a bad vibe from her ever since that business with Depp. Perhaps it's the wrong thread to go into further discussion.
    What have you heard (pardon the pun) about her,chaps ?
    Gold digger, cheater, liar, extortionist, etc.
    Gold digger, cheater, liar, extortionist, etc.
    Precisely.
    Aaah right...fun for the whole family...I didn't know any of that .
    Not an uncommon thing in Hollywood, mind you? ;)

I don't think any of us actually "know" that, I certainly haven't seen any proof, and would like to know what it is if there is any. How is she a gold digger anyway? I think it's also obvious she had more to lose than to gain in the divorce - and on top of that she donated all the divorce settlement money away. Some people think Depp is the problem, and he does seem to have some issues. (I've suspected for years he may need help, he has seemed incoherent, even in public, often enough.) I have no opinion of what went on in their case, I don't know enough, but I assume neither is the devil, and neither is an angel, either. People divorce all the time and that's how it usually is.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Tuulia wrote: »

I don't think any of us actually "know" that, I certainly haven't seen any proof, and would like to know what it is if there is any. How is she a gold digger anyway? I think it's also obvious she had more to lose than to gain in the divorce - and on top of that she donated all the divorce settlement money away. Some people think Depp is the problem, and he does seem to have some issues. (I've suspected for years he may need help, he has seemed incoherent, even in public, often enough.) I have no opinion of what went on in their case, I don't know enough, but I assume neither is the devil, and neither is an angel, either. People divorce all the time and that's how it usually is.
    Lots of people divorce. But, very few of them start controversies.

Katie Holmes divorced Cruise. She didn't step on the wrong toes and bother Cruise furthermore, because let's face it, as much as I love him as an actor and action star, I'd hate to be a friend of his in real-life. I still admire him wholeheartedly as a filmmaker.

Brad and Angelina broke up. I didn't see either of them making a fuss about it.

There are many others like this, yes, but Amber Heard had to extort Depp in more ways than one. And besides, she's known to be an untrustworthy person. I've heard many people talk badly about her.

That also said, I admire her as an actress. That's all that matters for me. I don't need to nose into somebody's personal life as that's none of my business nor concern.

Katie Holmes divorced Cruise. She didn't step on the wrong toes and bother Cruise furthermore, because let's face it, as much as I love him as an actor and action star, I'd hate to be a friend of his in real-life. I still admire him wholeheartedly as a filmmaker.

There are many others like this, yes, but Amber Heard had to extort Depp in more ways than one. And besides, she's known to be an untrustworthy person. I've heard many people talk badly about her.

That also said, I admire her as an actress. That's all that matters for me. I don't need to nose into somebody's personal life as that's none of my business nor concern.

People's divorces are individual cases, they don't have anything to do with one another.

Katie Holmes didn't "step on the wrong toes and bother Cruise" (???), because.... you'd "hate to be a friend of his"? What do you mean? That was one weird sentence, and I didn't understand either part on its own, either. Can you elaborate?

There certainly was some controversy with the Jolie/Pitt divorce, but that's irrelevant in connection to other divorces anyway.

Indeed none of their personal lives may be of no concern to us, but you must base your opinions on something. I know extremely little about any of them, and I'm not really that interested, but therefore I also don't have definite opinions.

So, since you seem to know more about this, can you tell me how you know Heard extorted Depp at all, and "in more ways than one" as well? What ways? And says who? And the many people who have talked badly of her, are they people who have worked with her or something, and could be named and quoted and referenced, or is that just vague internet stuff? No need to actually quote anyone or post sources, but, I'm just asking out of curiosity, and my general interest in how opinions of famous people get formed and held. I don't have an opinion of her as an actor anymore than I have an opinion of her as a person, so in that regard I'm completely neutral, and I'm not arguing your opinion, just asking what it's based on. I've read some back and forth on this elsewhere, and actual evidence seemed inconclusive to me.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It seems like some mod needs to get in here and change the thread title from "Last Movie You Watched" to "Last Celebrity Divorce You Read About."
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 I am still waiting for news of your wedding with Eva Green. ;)
    The original King Kong
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 I am still waiting for news of your wedding with Eva Green. ;)

@DaltonCriag007, I can't propose until I get a little court issue settled regarding a very cheap imposition of a restraining order that keeps my beloved and I apart. Ms. Green's protection team seem to think that the sight of a decently groomed man walking up to their client with a giant pink package-with an even larger red bow-is somehow a major security concern. With the rise of terrorist concerns abroad, I admit that was not a very smart way to deliver a woman a present, and I forgive those men for tackling me to the ground. Of all the ways I thought I'd end up locked away inside a French jail in a particularly rough arrondissement, that scenario would've never come to mind.

I'm now playing the waiting game, fighting my charges in court and all the rest, to stop Eva's people from throwing me in prison this time. Meanwhile, the lass and I swap encrypted e-mails and plan the eventual wedding we hope is coming soon. I have a lot of fight left in me.

People's divorces are individual cases, they don't have anything to do with one another.

Katie Holmes didn't "step on the wrong toes and bother Cruise" (???), because.... you'd "hate to be a friend of his"? What do you mean? That was one weird sentence, and I didn't understand either part on its own, either. Can you elaborate?

There certainly was some controversy with the Jolie/Pitt divorce, but that's irrelevant in connection to other divorces anyway.

Indeed none of their personal lives may be of no concern to us, but you must base your opinions on something. I know extremely little about any of them, and I'm not really that interested, but therefore I also don't have definite opinions.

So, since you seem to know more about this, can you tell me how you know Heard extorted Depp at all, and "in more ways than one" as well? What ways? And says who? And the many people who have talked badly of her, are they people who have worked with her or something, and could be named and quoted and referenced, or is that just vague internet stuff? No need to actually quote anyone or post sources, but, I'm just asking out of curiosity, and my general interest in how opinions of famous people get formed and held. I don't have an opinion of her as an actor anymore than I have an opinion of her as a person, so in that regard I'm completely neutral, and I'm not arguing your opinion, just asking what it's based on. I've read some back and forth on this elsewhere, and actual evidence seemed inconclusive to me.
    You request an opinion, but you don't want a quote or a source. You say you don't believe anything, and indicate to the "curiosity" that my belief is wrong. The one thing that didn't make sense to me here is you telling me to shut up and talk at the same time. That's sounds weird to me utterly, sir. You're not arguing my opinion but you're indirectly sending a signature my way with the claim of my opinion being stupid or irrelevant.

And to answer to your question with the Tom Cruise thing: Scientology, opinionated self and anger issues. But, since all of these are internet claims, including sources with video footage, you wouldn't believe them. Fair enough.

I rest my case with this. Over and out.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 12,274
    Saw some awesome lists of must-see film classics on the last page. Here are some of my favorites - I'll go pre-1980:

12 Angry Men (1957)
    2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
    The Apartment (1960)
    Apocalypse Now (1979)
    Barry Lyndon (1975)
    Chinatown (1974)
    Citizen Kane (1941)
    A Clockwork Orange (1971)
    The Conversation (1974)
    Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb (1964)
    The French Connection (1971)
    The Godfather (1972)
    The Godfather Part II (1974)
    Gone With The Wind (1939)
    The Graduate (1967)
    Halloween (1978)
    It Happened One Night (1934)
    Jaws (1975)
    The Killing (1956)
    Lawrence Of Arabia (1962)
    Marty (1955)
    The Night Of The Hunter (1955)
    One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
    On The Waterfront (1954)
    Out Of The Past (1947)
    Paths Of Glory (1957)
    Patton (1970)
    Psycho (1960)
    Rocky (1976)
    Scrooge (1970)
    The Sting (1973)
    Taxi Driver (1976)
    Vertigo (1958)
    Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory (1971)
    The Wizard Of Oz (1939)

Just some of my all-time favorites...
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    @JamesBondKenya I'd start with these, I don't think yet mentioned. Essential films, and essential for action film lovers as showing the potential of the medium.

CITY LIGHTS - Chaplin
    THE GENERAL - Keaton
    SEVEN SAMURAI - Kurosawa

Among many good suggestions, I want to add some favorites and others not touched on.

THE STEEL HELMET - Fuller
    KISS ME DEADLY - Aldrich
    TOUCH OF EVIL - Welles
    RIO BRAVO - Hawks
    DIRTY HARRY - Siegel
    MAD MAX and sequels, especially THE ROAD WARRIOR and FURY ROAD - Miller
    QUADROPHENIA - Roeg
    HAIR - Forman
    THE THING - Carpenter
    THE DEAD ZONE - Cronenberg
    THE QUIET EARTH - Murphy
    BRAZIL - Gilliam
    CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER - Noyce
    GROSSE POINT BLANK - Armitage
    THE BIG LEBOWSKI - Coen(s)
    GHOST DOG - Jarmusch
    12 MONKEYS - Gilliam
    LEON THE PROFESSIONAL - Besson
    MAN ON FIRE - Scott
    UNBREAKABLE - Shyamalan
    MEMENTO - Nolan
    WATCHMEN - Snyder

I also like the film noir titles, Philip Marlowe and otherwise.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 6,844
    @JamesBondKenya, here's another list of classics and neo-classics for your continued film exploration—some mentioned already, some not—weighing more heavily on science fiction and horror per my own tastes (and excluding Bonds and films you've mentioned as favorites, like Nolan's, The Shining, etc.).

Metropolis (1927)
    The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)
    Casablanca (1942)
    Creature From the Black Lagoon (1954)
    Gojira (1954)
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
    Vertigo (1958) (See also Psycho)
    Yojimbo (1961) (See also Seven Samurai / High and Low / Ran)
    The Day the Earth Caught Fire (1962)
    Le Mepris (1963) (See also My Life to Live / Masculin Féminin)
    The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)
    Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966)
    Le Samouraï (1967)
    Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) (See also The Dollars Trilogy)
    The Wild Bunch (1969)
    Young Frankenstein (1974)
    The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)
    Annie Hall (1977)
    Dawn of the Dead (1978) (See also Night of the Living Dead / Day of the Dead)
    Apocalypse Now (1979)
    The Elephant Man (1980) (See also Mulholland Drive)
    Raging Bull (1980)
    Blade Runner (1982) (See also Alien)
    Poltergeist (1982)
    John Carpenter's The Thing (1982) (See also Assault on Precinct 13 / Halloween / Big Trouble in Little China)
    Night of the Comet (1984)
    The Terminator (1984) (See also Aliens / The Abyss / Terminator 2: Judgment Day)
    The Breakfast Club (1985)
    The Fly (1986) (See also Videodrome / Eastern Promises)
    Wings of Desire (1987) (See also Paris, Texas / Buena Vista Social Club)
    Cinema Paradiso (1988)
    Die Hard (1988)
    Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
    Edward Scissorhands (1990)
    Groundhog Day (1993)
    Jurassic Park (1993) (See also Jaws / Raiders of the Lost Ark / Catch Me If You Can)
    The Remains of the Day (1993)
    Chungking Express (1994) (See also Ashes of Time / In the Mood for Love / 2046)
    Dumb & Dumber (1994)
    Pulp Fiction (1994)
    To Live (1994) (See also Raise the Red Lantern / Hero)
    Ghost in the Shell (1995)
    Heat (1995)
    Mission: Impossible (1996) (See also Carrie / Blow Out)
    Scream (1996)
    The Game (1997) (See also Alien 3 / Se7en / Fight Club)
    Starship Troopers (1997)
    Run Lola Run (1998)
    The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (2001-2003)
    Vanilla Sky (2001) (See also Almost Famous)
    The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004) (See also Rushmore / The Grand Budapest Hotel)
    Shaun of the Dead (2004)
    Grizzly Man (2005) (See also Aguirre, the Wrath of God / Fitzcarraldo / Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht)
    Children of Men (2006)
    THE BIG SHOWDOWN (1972) or THE GRAND DUEL as originally produced:

6a3809c31b5e6dacc46f2e1418aeea99.jpg

The film begins with your typical Spaghetti Western basis, cliches and a quiet build-up to a showdown in a near abandoned small ranch where a condemned outlaw has been hiding from bounty hunters. And there walks in the ever charismatic Lee Van Cleef (when isn't he?!), starring as a former Jefferson City Sheriff, Clayton who is following and tracking down this outlaw, knowing he was wrongfully accused. His objective is to clear the name of the condemned, who is said to be murdering the patriarch of a rich and influential family with ambiguous background.

With the first 42 minutes exactly, the film plays your typical "cash-in" Spaghetti Western choir, nothing unusual about it, which isn't to say it's bad. On the contrary. But, when it comes to the second half of it, the tonal pacing of the movie completely changes, drifting away from the action category within the subgenre, and outfitting itself with a whole new narrative. It equips the storytelling style of Noir, where a detective/policeman must find the truth behind the committed crime, knowing who actually killed the patriarch but tending to slowly expose the person responsible. We have a flashback to the dark night where that said patriarch was assassinated and the visual fest around it is highly influenced by the famous Italian horror genre, the Giallo (I suppose some of you are familiar with it?). Giancarlo Santi directed the film very well, being the assistant director of Leone's on both The Good, The Bad and The Ugly and Once Upon A Time In The West. Stellar cinematography, undoubtedly to say.

The supporting cast members aren't really much of a help when it comes to the build-up and as such provide with weak performances, with the exception of the main villain played by Horst Frank (who also has played a similar character in Django, Prepara A Coffin!). Cleef and Frank easily shine in the collective.

And of course, how can I forget the musical score? Composed by the great Luis Bacalov, with the main theme alone elevated the scenes it was played, just proving how much straightforward and tonally conducted ambient melodies bode well with films instead of the contemporary incidentals that serve the scenes (basically anything post-1990s), not compliment them. It's not your typical action-oriented heroic tune written for the protagonist, but is a hauntingly slow philharmonic orchestra. Even Quentin Tarantino went on to use the piece in Kill Bill: Vol. 1.

For western fans, this is highly recommended. Outstanding.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    edited May 2017 Posts: 299
    Really enjoying these 'essential films' lists, they're giving me lots of great recommendations.

Watched The Best Years of Our Lives last night, brilliant film and surprisingly timeless given what it appears to be about on the surface.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,690
    Going in Style (2017)

going-in-style.jpg

This was a total blast. Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman and Alan Arkin decide to rob a bank together, because their retirement pensions has been taken from them (I'm preparing myself for the time Denzel Washington and Liam Neeson will be in their 80's and doing super fun films like this). Hilarious from start to finish, mixed with a trio of insanely charismatic actors who, in the entire movie, don't give a f*ck about anything apart from getting their money back (and having a big dose of fun in the process). 90 minutes of pure entertainment.
    Going in Style (2017)

going-in-style.jpg

This was a total blast. Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman and Alan Arkin decide to rob a bank together, because their retirement pensions has been taken from them (I'm preparing myself for the time Denzel Washington and Liam Neeson will be in their 80's and doing super fun films like this). Hilarious from start to finish, mixed with a trio of insanely charismatic actors who, in the entire movie, don't give a f*ck about anything apart from getting their money back (and having a big dose of fun in the process). 90 minutes of pure entertainment.
    Haha, sounds like my kind of entertainment. :D
    Watched 6 films today so far since early this morning :

1) The Finest Hours
    2) Sausage Party
    3) Vacation
    4) The Saint
    5) Jack Reacher
    6) Spooks ...
    Watched 6 films today so far since early this morning :

1) The Finest Hours
    2) Sausage Party
    3) Vacation
    4) The Saint
    5) Jack Reacher
    6) Spooks ...

Six films in one day? Blimey. Barry Norman mark 2 ;)
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I Can't even watch one before falling asleep
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    NSGW wrote: »
    Really enjoying these 'essential films' lists, they're giving me lots of great recommendations.

There is a thread for it somewhere.