Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Creasy47, enjoy, my friend. Enjoy!

Think of me when Neil drives his car with Eady in it through a brightly lit tunnel and you experience Spinotti's amazing grainy film stock and Goldenthal's ethereal sounds.

Can do! It's been a real long time since I last watched this, because I knew a remastered version was coming and I wanted to wait for it, so I forgot just how incredible the score is in this. Even in the opening minutes, with Neil taking the train to grab the ambulance.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Just ordered by copy from Amazon @Creasy47. I knew this was coming out at some point but wasn't aware it was this week. Looking forward to it. Enjoy!
    bondjames wrote: »
    Just ordered by copy from Amazon @Creasy47. I knew this was coming out at some point but wasn't aware it was this week. Looking forward to it. Enjoy!

Great idea, hope you enjoy as well! The quality is even better, I love it.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Has Mann altered or excised any scenes in this new version as he is want to do with these 'directors cuts'?

Has Mann altered or excised any scenes in this new version as he is want to do with these 'directors cuts'?
    My copy arrives today (got to love Amazon Prime with their next day delivery) and if I can get to it, I'll let you know.

My copy arrives today (got to love Amazon Prime with their next day delivery) and if I can get to it, I'll let you know.

Cool, thanks!

Not that I'm aware of. I read something yesterday that said two scenes were ever so slightly edited in terms of the omission/inclusion of a line of dialogue, but it's not something I noticed. Apparently there are a bunch of deleted scenes I've yet to get around to - some sound like incredible ideas that were unfortunately cut, while others sound better off as a deleted scene.
    I'm waiting for SKY to hopefully put it on sale in SKY Store,so it can be downloaded,memory free onto my SKY Q box.

Just have to be patient.
    @bondjames @LeonardPine @barryt007

Here are screenshots of the U.S. version of the remastered edition. Probably not the best images to really showcase the beauty of this new version, but even still:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Heat-Blu-ray/123744/#Screenshots
    Thanks @Creasy47. I normally check that site out as well before I buy something. It's a great resource. Just looking at those screencaps is getting me excited to watch it again (it's been years).

Sadly, I recently realized that I won't be getting it today because today is the actual release date. So I'll have to wait until tomorrow on Amazon's one day prime delivery.
    @bondjames, another cool thing about the screenshots is that they typically seem to be rather spoiler-free, or as spoiler-free as you can be when showcasing the technical quality of a film.

That's a shame! I ordered my copy from Best Buy and it got here early yesterday. I've typically found that ordering from them is either A.) perfection, because the transaction is smooth and I get my purchase typically one day before release, or B.) a total disaster, and my item arrives late and badly damaged. Always a gamble.

If you get around to watching it tomorrow, be sure to post your thoughts! It had been a long time since I last saw it, as well, and this was the perfect way to be re-introduced to this masterpiece.
    Definitely @Creasy47. I had been planning to view it again for some time, and then learned of this new remastered version a month or so ago. I forgot about it again until you mentioned it here and then placed my order yesterday.

I recall getting some product from Amazon a day early as well, so I suppose it depends on how far in advance the order is placed. I can't speak highly enough of them. Their customer service is top notch too, even when ordered from the UK (which I also do on occasion when it's Region Free and cheaper).
    Definitely @Creasy47. I had been planning to view it again for some time, and then learned of this new remastered version a month or so ago. I forgot about it again until you mentioned it here and then placed my order yesterday.

I recall getting some product from Amazon a day early as well, so I suppose it depends on how far in advance the order is placed. I can't speak highly enough of them. Their customer service is top notch too, even when ordered from the UK (which I also do on occasion when it's Region Free and cheaper).

Did you get your copy for dirt cheap, too? I locked it in around $7.88 shipped. Couldn't believe it for a remastered edition of one of my favorite movies.

Did you get your copy for dirt cheap, too? I locked it in around $7.88 shipped. Couldn't believe it for a remastered edition of one of my favorite movies.
    Yes, that's the price they offer it up for Prime members. I agree, it's an outstanding deal.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,694
    @bondjames if you had to pick between the downtown L.A. shootout in 'Heat' and the nightclub shootout in 'Collateral', which would you rank in 1st place?

Yes, that's the price they offer it up for Prime members. I agree, it's an outstanding deal.

I was lucky enough to get to watch it alone yesterday, enjoyed it on a very high volume. Still can't believe I forgot about that incredible score.
    That is a tough one @DaltonCraig007, and I had to think about it long and hard.

Cruise is more of a badass in that scene in Collateral than anyone in Heat. The way he takes everyone out to the beat of Paul Okenfeld's Ready Steady Go is just awesome.

However, I still have to give it to Heat. I'm biased because I visited South Figueroa Street (where it was filmed), when I was there for a holiday 10 years ago. All I could hear was the echo of the gun shots as I was standing there.

Funnily enough, as I type this and discuss the film, I'm constantly reminded of the opening scene in TDK. That bank heist is so 'Heat like' right down to William Fichtner's appearance. Such a kick ass sequence also.
    The bank shootout in 'Heat' will likely stand as my favorite action sequence of all time. It'd be tough to beat that.

@bondjames, agreed on the connection to TDK. I believe Nolan has said he based the feel of the city during the trilogy on the same look and feel it had in Mann's 'Heat,' which makes me wonder if Fichtner was cast solely for that reason. It is funny that he's a bank employee of some sort in both.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames Another film I always link with 'Heat', when thinking of the hugely charismatic lead duo of De Niro/Pacino, is 'American Gangster'. I'm too young to have seen Heat in theaters upon release, but I went to see 'American Gangster' on the big screen 10 years ago now, and I still remember my 16 years old self being in total awe at the sheer chemistry, charisma and magnetic presence of both Russell Crowe and Denzel Washington.
    Yes @Creasy47, I remember reading that and think Fitchner was indeed deliberately cast to cause us to subconsciously draw the connection. I believe Nolan was trying to create an urban crime thriller opus with TDK, and Heat is one of the best films to go to for inspiration.
    ---

EDIT: @DaltonCraig007, I only watched American Gangster once, but I remember it being a very visceral and intense film, and the performances by both Denzel and Russell Crowe were excellent. I have to catch that one again soon.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Having watched Captain America civil war finally after taking a marvel break since when age of ultron came out, I believe I burnt out from the movies. They've become so bloated that it's unwatchable.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Having watched Captain America civil war finally after taking a marvel break since when age of ultron came out, I believe I burnt out from the movies. They've become so bloated that it's unwatchable.

To be fair, I feel that's an overrated one. I wish they'd have gone for it and adapted the comic in full.

To be fair, I feel that's an overrated one. I wish they'd have gone for it and adapted the comic in full.
    I fee they've forgotten how to make a movie without relying on other superheroes in the movie. I wish it was just Captain America, black widow and Bucky like in Winter Soldier.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

I fee they've forgotten how to make a movie without relying on other superheroes in the movie. I wish it was just Captain America, black widow and Bucky like in Winter Soldier.

That would've never happened, though. The film was all about exploring the events of the last Avengers film, using Cap as the emotional core that everything bounced off of. You needed all the heroes there, who each took a side.

The premise was there, but the lack of other things they adapted from the comic (basically, the best stuff) disappointed me greatly. I just expected a film called Civil War to truly take a lot of the comic's powerful sections and ideas and adapt it, instead of just taking the rather bare bones premise of two groups of heroes fighting and doing an original story. There's a moment in the comic I want to see adapted on the big screen more than any other moment ever. I guess I just expected too much, though the title did smack of false advertising in my mind.

Here are screenshots of the U.S. version of the remastered edition. Probably not the best images to really showcase the beauty of this new version, but even still:

Looking good, @Creasy47

It's such a beautifully photographed film. Much like all of Mann's output.

Looking good, @Creasy47

It's such a beautifully photographed film. Much like all of Mann's output.
    Looks like it was shot yesterday! I'm impressed!

• edited May 2017 Posts: 1,009
    Another of your copycat recommendations: 008: Operation Exterminate (1965).

Other than the really innovative ideas like putting a femenine secret agent as the protagionist (and Ingrid Schoeller is quite competent here) and the 007 reference (606 is reading LALD), the action scenes are scarce and dull and the final surprise is clumsily made:
    so 606 is a double agent that actually works for the MI5 and is stationed in St. Petesburg. OK, but then, why does he poses as a fake MI5 agent working for the KGB in the first place? To give MacDonald some unnecesary confidence? She has a lot of it! And why growing a trimmed moustache?
    Man, this looks like that CR'67 scene where Tramble notes Mathis' Scottish accent (or something like this).

Not bad but meh.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Back To The Future
    I only now realised that the homeless drunk towards to end ("Crazy drunk drivers"), is played by the same actor that played the homeless drunk (outside the Pharmacy) in the first Wishmaster.
    Alien: Covenant (2017)

Quick no-spoiler review: The first 30 minutes are fantastic, extreme tension as we know what the crew will be faced with thanks to the previous films in the Alien universe. Once the first creature pops up, the tension lowers considerably as nearly all of them are CGI (and not from practical effects), but the sheer energetic directing from Scott and the very gory action bits still maintained my attention. However, a 20/30 minutes sequence near the middle, was very 'Prometheus'-like, and almost put me to sleep. Things picked up for the climax with the main huge creature, but it was very rushed as the climax went on for hardly 10 minutes. I was shocked when the end credits started, wondering if there were bits of the climax missing. All in all, I really liked it more than 'Prometheus', but this new outing is still way below the original films from 1979 and 1986.
    Alien: Covenant (2017)

Quick no-spoiler review: The first 30 minutes are fantastic, extreme tension as we know what the crew will be faced with thanks to the previous films in the Alien universe. Once the first creature pops up, the tension lowers considerably as nearly all of them are CGI (and not from practical effects), but the sheer energetic directing from Scott and the very gory action bits still maintained my attention. However, a 20/30 minutes sequence near the middle, was very 'Prometheus'-like, and almost put me to sleep. Things picked up for the climax with the main huge creature, but it was very rushed as the climax went on for hardly 10 minutes. I was shocked when the end credits started, wondering if there were bits of the climax missing. All in all, I really liked it more than 'Prometheus', but this new outing is still way below the original films from 1979 and 1986.

I've heard it's the most similar to the original Alien, which sort of excites me, but a lot of what I've read makes it seem like it's kind of a retread. I'll have to give it a watch myself and see what I think.