Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• edited February 2017 Posts: 3,336
    The Razor's Edge (1946)

Some good performances, but other then that it just didn't click with me. This is also one of the longest film noirs ever i believe, at a not so whopping 2h 25m. I rather like my noirs sweet and short at around 90- 100 minutes.

Fallen Angel (1945)

Another noir which i enjoyed a lot more then Razors edge. Directed by Otto Preminger which made one of my favourite noirs ever in Laura (1944). Dana Andrews stars as he did in "Laura", and he has a cool slick thing about him.

Arrival (2016)

Great film. My second favourite of 2016 as of now, but i still have a lot to watch.

Léon Morin, prêtre (1961)

Continuing on my quest to watch all of Melville's films. Once again a nicely directed film, but the topic of the film didn't interest me though.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,649
    MATCH POINT

893.jpg

First time seeing this 2005 Woody Allen film, but I like it a lot. The plot takes a strange turn towards the third act and suddenly I don't know whether to be on the edge of my seat or rather complaining that we just switched film genres. But I'm never not entertained. Great acting, superb directing.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    MATCH POINT

893.jpg

First time seeing this 2005 Woody Allen film, but I like it a lot. The plot takes a strange turn towards the third act and suddenly I don't know whether to be on the edge of my seat or rather complaining that we just switched film genres. But I'm never not entertained. Great acting, superb directing.

One of his better recent films.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @DarthDimi, if you're ever interested in a film that does a 180 with its genre at a random point and completely catches you off guard, check out 'Kill List.' Don't even read the plot or watch the trailer, just go in blind.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    From Dusk Till Dawn does something similar.
    Challenge accepted, @Creasy47. I'll be watching that film tonight. Don't know anything about it!
    Challenge accepted, @Creasy47. I'll be watching that film tonight. Don't know anything about it!

Awesome! You're in for a treat, do post your thoughts here after you've seen it, I'm looking forward to them.
  • The Graduate.
    @Creasy47

Thank you so much for this unexpected gem! Wow. I had a feeling something was off when
    the employer cut both of their hands to spill some blood

but I wasn't expecting this strange fusion between
    a hitman drama film and satanic horror.

The climax keeps haunting me. Man, what an effective load of scares!
    @DarthDimi, I'm so glad you enjoyed it, I figured it'd go either way for you. Definite brain boggler, this one, sprinkling a few random hints throughout until that batshit crazy twist. Don't see too many films like that one, that's for sure. Those last few shots of the climax most certainly stuck with me days after I saw it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2017 Posts: 15,694
    Double billed The Bourne Supremacy (2004) and The Man From Nowhere (2010).

Those 2 are some of the rare action films where my favorite action scene is the very last one in the movie (the Moscow taxi chase in Supremacy and the shootout in 'Man from Nowhere'). Matt Damon is very good as Bourne, and is sure very impressive in the action scenes, but I always find him very 'baby faced' in the first 2 outings. Sure, he was 32-34 years old, but Daniel Craig was only 2 years older in 'Layer Cake' and looked way more world-weary than Damon. As for Won Bin, it is quite unnerving that 7 years since 'Man From Nowhere', he has not made another film. I hope we see his pure badassery again soon.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Trainspotting T2 2017

I can report that Trainspotting T2 is worth a visit to the cinema, I very much enjoyed returning to the lives, of Renton, Spud, Sickboy and Begbie in the long awaited sequel to the 1996 classic. All 4 members return to these characters older but not exactly wiser. Boyle and has done a fine job of revisting the most defining film of his career.

4/5
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The Force Awakens enjoyed watching this dot to dot movie, I love Star Wars so this is not a bad thing though TFA is firmly at the bottom of the listing.
    We just got back from Rogue One. I was completely unspoiled for it and that was great. So I won't spoil it for anyone here. Basically, while not a great movie in and of itself, it WAS the perfect prequel to the original trilogy. There are now four 'real' Star Wars movies in my mind (TFA is just cool fan fiction to me... as are Lucas' prequel trilogy to a lesser degree).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Quo Vadis (1951)
    hgC21Cs.jpg

This was my first watch of this truly epic (nearly 3 hrs long) MGM production, directed by Mervyn LeRoy & starring Robert Taylor, Deborah Kerr, Leo Genn & Peter Ustinov. The story follows Roman General Marcus Vinicius (Taylor) as he returns to Rome after three years at war. He meets Lygia (Kerr), a beautiful daughter of a retired general, and falls for her. She is a pious Christian who initially resists his advances, wanting nothing to do with his warlike, savage ways, despite seeing good in him. Although initially reluctant, he slowly succumbs to her faith, while also turning against corrupt & degenerate Emperor Nero (Ustinov), who oppresses and victimizes the still nascent religion and its followers. Eventually, Nero is brought down by his own excesses & tyranny.

Deborah Kerr’s Lygia is very convincing as the naive, devout recipient of Marcus’s repeated advances. Taylor, who looks a lot like Dean Martin to me, is serviceable but not particularly memorable as Marcus. Ustinov completely hams it up as the treacherous Nero however, and is a delight to watch. Genn is also very good as Petronius, Marcus’s uncle & Nero’s wise & trusted counsel who is increasingly sickened by the Emperor's antics. This film is quite a spectacle. While watching it, I was reminded of Cleopatra, which I saw a month or so ago. While that later film is certainly far more extravagant in nearly every way, there are similarities between the two, particularly in the opulence of the productions. Both films apparently also shared the distinction of being the most expensive ever made up to that point in their respective years of release. The costumes & sets here are also magnificent & lavish, and there are explosions and fires that put Sam Mendes’s indulgent exploits in SP to shame. Miklos Rozsa's score is also very impressive & perfectly fits the film.

The film sort of gets bogged down in the latter third, after a reasonably brisk start, but then picks up nicely with the Arena sequence. I enjoyed it & was quite impressed by the special effects work, given when it was made. The bull wrestling scene, lion attacks & chariot chases were particularly well done. I wasn’t too keen on the preachy religious propaganda elements however, but it comes with the territory I suppose.
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    The Force Awakens enjoyed watching this dot to dot movie, I love Star Wars so this is not a bad thing though TFA is firmly at the bottom of the listing.
    We just got back from Rogue One. I was completely unspoiled for it and that was great. So I won't spoil it for anyone here. Basically, while not a great movie in and of itself, it WAS the perfect prequel to the original trilogy. There are now four 'real' Star Wars movies in my mind (TFA is just cool fan fiction to me... as are Lucas' prequel trilogy to a lesser degree).

Must admit the last act in Rogue One was like being a kid again I was lucky enough to see Return of the Jedi at the cinema, thankfully I knew nothing of what was going to happen in the Rogue One.
    I was genuinely shocked when I saw Tarkin
    , I recall saying out loud 'what the..' ;))
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @Birdleson, I have purchased Spartacus & will watch it soon. I've seen Ben Hur ages ago as a kid. It's also on my list to get to again soon. I remember the massive chariot race and something about leprosy which I found uncomfortable to watch earlier. I'm definitely going to watch it again in remastered blu ray along with The Ten Commandments.
    Must admit the last act in Rogue One was like being a kid again I was lucky enough to see Return of the Jedi at the cinema, thankfully I knew nothing of what was going to happen in the Rogue One.
    Me too! And it was actually well done!!
    Rogue One makes it a perfect (there's that word again) quadrilogy:
    dark, light, dark, light.
    Me too! And it was actually well done!!
    Rogue One makes it a perfect (there's that word again) quadrilogy:
    dark, light, dark, light.

Good point and George would be happy as it rhymes, I read Lucas was impressed by the film. There are some great subtle moments even if it's just ships leaving orbit, the film was authentic to the universe and feel of the originals.

the film was authentic to the universe and feel of the originals.
    I cannot WAIT to get this on Blu Ray & do a marathon watch of the four back-to-back!
    I cannot WAIT to get this on Blu Ray & do a marathon watch of the four back-to-back!

I watched Star Wars shortly after,
    Vaders emotional state when boarding Tantive IV (Leia ship) works even better because of what proceeded that scene in Rogue One. A New Hope feels even better which has to be applauded.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 17,698
    chrisisall wrote: »

I watched Star Wars shortly after,
    Vaders emotional state when boarding Tantive IV (Leia ship) works even better because of what proceeded that scene in Rogue One. A New Hope feels even better which has to be applauded.
    Yes, I can see that! Gareth Edwards (the director) is a long time fan & Lucasfilm associate. Endless thanks to him!
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,649
    Sunday, 5 Feb 2017
    THE HUNGER GAMES marathon
    Note: I have seen the first three films but I have never read the books!

PART I: THE HUNGER GAMES

latest?cb=20150221194147

After the painful ordeal of the TWILIGHT saga, which I was forced to endure in the name of love, I was about to flat-out reject any more teen light novel stuff, especially the kind that was projected to be hugely successful as if HARRY POTTER lightening would strike endlessly. I was defiant of the notion of someone "engineering" a multi-book story, immediately selling the rights to Hollywood, while we are spoon-fed the belief that this is the best thing since STAR WARS. THE HUNGER GAMES "movie" was never a thing; it was always going to be a "film series". Of course you wanted to be a part of it, right? And then there's DIVERGENT and THE MAZE RUNNER and who knows what else...

So I had my arms crossed when it was suggested to me that I should go out and watch THE HUNGER GAMES, especially after having read a short plot summary which told me enough. It's BATTLE ROYALE all over again! Or rather, Stephen King's THE LONG WALK (as Richard Bachman). This isn't original, folks. The Japanese had gone there ages ago, and Stephen King even before that.

But you know, the old "you're sleeping on the coach tonight" argument can turn water into wine and so I yielded. Five minutes into the film I knew it wasn't half bad. Exceptionally violent and tense, at times very cruel and never surrendering too much to your typical teen romance bogus, THE HUNGER GAMES took my breath away in some scenes. Well acted and surprisingly engaging, the film got me hooked. I nevertheless recognized potential traps the series was setting itself and lo and behold, by the third film I shall have some major complaints. But for now, it was all good. In fact, it was better than good. While no STAR WARS, THE HUNGER GAMES had turned me into enough of a fan to stay interested in what would come next.

DD's HUNGER GAMES ranking

The Hunger Games - 8,5/10
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    (under construction)

Never saw that one. What is it about?
    (under construction)

It's the next Steven Segal film. He plays an ex-cop who's also an ex-CIA agent who's also the world's best horse surgeon and an amazing guitar player who's fluent in Japanese and has a black belt in almost everything. He's name is Nick Doombringer. The story begins when Nick's former partner gets killed by a group of Communist Neo-Nazi's from Tibet. Oh and they kidnapped Nick's 65 year younger half-Japanese daughter for no reason. Nick will Kung-Fu his way into Tibet and kill all 502 members of the occult gang by pinching their arms and kicking them in the nuts. The 73 minute cut of the film will be sold for 75 cents with the slogan, "They killed his partner and kidnapped his daughter. Now he's out for revenge.", because of course we haven't seen a film like this ever before.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    (under construction)

It's the next Steven Segal film. He plays an ex-cop who's also an ex-CIA agent who's also the world's best horse surgeon and an amazing guitar player who's fluent in Japanese and has a black belt in almost everything. He's name is Nick Doombringer. The story begins when Nick's former partner gets killed by a group of Communist Neo-Nazi's from Tibet. Oh and they kidnapped Nick's 65 year younger half-Japanese daughter for no reason. Nick will Kung-Fu his way into Tibet and kill all 502 members of the occult gang by pinching their arms and kicking them in the nuts. The 73 minute cut of the film will be sold for 75 cents with the slogan, "They killed his partner and kidnapped his daughter. Now he's out for revenge.", because of course we haven't seen a film like this ever before.

@DarthDimi, you are a global treasure.
    Yes, and half the budget will be used to pay for the stuntmen that will double for Seagal when we see him walking. Or sittting. Or talking. The other half will be to pay for his food bill.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Supplied by Seagal's own fast food company, Burgers Are Forever.
    Seagal for president? :p
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    He's been a town Deputy Sheriff before. So, President next. ;)
    @bondjames, I haven't seen 'Quo Vadis' in a very long time, but I remember it being a very well-done epic that, for me, flew by with the running time.