What do you want from Billie Eilish's NTTD's title song?

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited January 2018 Posts: 17,809
    MofMI6 wrote: »
    Anyone but Beyonce.

Or Ed Sheeran, though I gather his is already written. The little boffin that he is.
    I want Madonna or Jack White back!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Why "or"?

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Get Tom Jones he is still working on British TV
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited January 2018 Posts: 7,980
    Lady Gaga is an immense talent who could deliver a song that has a classic sound, but with an edge.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Lady Gaga is an immense talent who could deliver a song that has a classic sound, but with an edge.

Agreed.
  • Get Tom Jones he is still working on British TV

I thought Bassey would've been a nice touch for SF with it being the 50th and everything. Would've preferred her to Adele.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 17,809

I thought Bassey would've been a nice touch for SF with it being the 50th and everything. Would've preferred her to Adele.

Wouldn't we all? Prefer her to anyone, in fact.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Wouldn't we all? Prefer her to anyone, in fact.

I have to be contrary on this on this one; GF is a classic and I still love it. DAF is not as good but still a great Bond theme. MR was terrible and showed that while she still had a great voice, stylistically it’s time had past. At this point a song done by Bassey would be hard pressed not to sound like a caricature of her previous songs
    With that said, I would have taken her in a minute over Sam Smith.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Didn't Bassey give them something for QoS which they rejected? I thought I read that somewhere.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    bondjames wrote: »
    Didn't Bassey give them something for QoS which they rejected? I thought I read that somewhere.
    Bassey, Arnold and Don Black all three.
    Wow. I didn't know that. The Jack Black/Alicia Keys thing is a travesty. They should have been more selective.
    Wow. I didn't know that. The Jack Black/Alicia Keys thing is a travesty. They should have been more selective.
    It even includes cues from QoS, @bondjames.

edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Thanks @ClarkDevlin. That's a much more Bondian sound than what they ended up with.

Bassey's still got a set of pipes, that's for sure. This is the way you deliver a song about Bond's inner state of mind imho. Not like that whining trash they selected for the last film. Having said that, perhaps the tone and the lyrics don't quite fit what Forster conceived visually for the film. Still, it's a shame as this is a pretty good song.

They must've been mad to reject that!
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 4,600
    Don't get me started. That song...in fact the whole album is pure class. I had forgetten just what a voice she had until seeing her live concert on the BBC promoting the album with Arnold on stage as musical director. It's just pure class from start to finish. Sadly, she did not perfom No Good but I bought the album the nest day: it's just stunning.

Then a couple of weeks ago , i watched The Voice (clip below) and just blown away again by Tom Jone's voice. Not only the pitch bu the relaxed delivery. Again, just pure class. As a spin off, check out Jennifer Hudson. Wonderful voice but, she suffers from the post Whitney habbit of pushing too much. A certain lack of sensitivty.

But popular music is in decline IMHO and the number of singers who can compete live with the likes of Jones and Bassey? count them on one hand. There are many many reasons why the voice as a single factor has become less important compared to other things. More image the substance with most singers.

I would love Bassey or Jones to do just one more but I would think commercial pressures would make that very unlikley:

edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Wow, I wouldn't have guessed that was Jennifer Hudson. I always thought she was a bit portly. Great voice but I agree that she seems to be overbelting it. A lack of finesse in delivery. Whitney and also Mariah were guilty of this.

Tom Jones is the man. He has an incredible, strong voice & I love his Bond song. Quite frankly, I think his version of Kiss is as good as Prince's, blasphemous as that may seem.
    Shirley Bassey and Tom Jones are both the godparents of the Bond songs.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Tom could still belt out a tune, though Eon unfortunately picks current artists, I would not be suprised if Adele returned.
    This is not a Bond song... But, dammit, just listen to it. Listen to her voice. The backing track, the instruments all emotionally playing it up you'd live the song yourself... The current artists don't even come quarter as close.

Perhaps we need a Bassey appreciation thread? Clearly many fans on the forum
    @ClarkDevlin, those vocals are sublime. It reminds me of something from my past but I can't remember what it is. Sound of Music perhaps? A song from a film I heard growing up somewhere.
    I wish I could help, my friend. :))
    The smooth delivery and tempo actually reminds me a bit of Julio Iglesias (a female version). My dad used to play his stuff in the car when I was a kid. I hated most of it and felt trapped, but I can't deny the man had a silky voice.
  • I do like that Ellie Holding but I'm also partial to the Eagles of Death Metal.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 4,600
    Just adding to my thoughts on the decline of pure singing talent, I had not given a second thought to Jessie J, mainly due to her previous songs. Modern pop gives little chance for singers to sing in the tradition "bassey" way. It makes no sense that human have lost the ability to sing. I think its just the opportunities to sing are less and less due to the fasion of rap, r and be etc, so, with that in mind, I heard this on the radio and checked it out. For some reason, she is competing in a chinese TV talent contest!!
    but it does give the opportunity to hear her sing properly and boy IMHO she is impressive. So another possibility for a Bond theme singer?

PS this track with a different arrangement could have been a cracking Bond theme?

edited January 2018 Posts: 23,376
    My knowledge of modern music is extremely poor, I have an extensive music collection though barring a few albums all from the last century.

Foo Fighters gets my vote for a Bond theme
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I'd like something harder edged like this, with this kind of title sequence as well.

Look at that cast list. It's got Bond written all over it.

edited February 2018 Posts: 17,809
    patb wrote: »
    Just adding to my thoughts on the decline of pure singing talent, I had not given a second thought to Jessie J, mainly due to her previous songs. Modern pop gives little chance for singers to sing in the tradition "bassey" way. It makes no sense that human have lost the ability to sing. I think its just the opportunities to sing are less and less due to the fasion of rap, r and be etc, so, with that in mind, I heard this on the radio and checked it out. For some reason, she is competing in a chinese TV talent contest!!
    but it does give the opportunity to hear her sing properly and boy IMHO she is impressive. So another possibility for a Bond theme singer?

PS this track with a different arrangement could have been a cracking Bond theme?

I agree that Jessie J would be a good choice for Bond 25 too. This is one of my favourites from her:

This discussion has been closed.