MGM says the next Bond within 3 years

2456713

Comments

  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Posts: 4,012
    chrisisall wrote:
    Skyfail wrote:
    Strange!
    I've noticed this quite often, a lot of Bond fans picked Batman Begins as their favourite of the trilogy. My favourite would be TDKR. :P
    It's mine as well, it had a simple magic to it- the others are so busy IMO...

    :)) you are so right, they are busy! There's just too much going on at the same time, like the underground at rush hour TDK and mostly TDKR are too much crammed together.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 498
    chrisisall wrote:
    Skyfail wrote:
    Strange!
    I've noticed this quite often, a lot of Bond fans picked Batman Begins as their favourite of the trilogy. My favourite would be TDKR. :P
    It's mine as well, it had a simple magic to it- the others are so busy IMO...

    I liked it for a lot of reason's

    1. It wasn't as dark as the previous ones.

    2. It was more faithful to the source material than any of the previous 3 as in The Batman from TDKR felt very much in line with the comics

    3. Epic action and fights scenes.

    4. Lovely story with a great twist in the end.

    5. The concept of 'Rising' felt very much in context.

    6. A score which actually got general cinema audiences speaking about it

    7. Anne Hathaway :P



  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited March 2013 Posts: 11,139
    Its not that he cannot work outside his collaborators , Take DiCaprio, Nolan worked with him only once and made a hit. Its just that he has a preference. Its something the industry respects.

    Yes, and with DiCaprio came Ken Wantanabe, Cillian Murphy and Michael Cain, actors he's worked with previously. Then he takes half the cast of his core actors for Inception and lumps them in his next batman movie. Preference is alright but continuously doing it shows limitation imo.

    Honestly speaking last year if someone asked me if Nolan was a good choice . I would say no , he can't handle action as good as Campbell or Forster. After Skyfall came out and I saw how weak the action was. I learnt to stop being very picky and I started thinking at least someone who can do a better job then Mendes.

    Personally I thought the action was pretty good, just not as good as in CR or QoS but it's better than anything I've seen from Nolan.

    Judging by how good the Bane vs Batman fights were and the sheer scale of huge mobs clashing together, its evident that Nolan has learnt a thing or two along his action movie career.

    He may have learned 1 or 2 things but he still needs a great deal to learn if he insists on directing everything himself. He's better off using an experienced second unit who knows what they're doing and can realise and elevate whatever action scenario Nolan has in mind. I agree Nolan isn't afraid to tackle big scale action but he's not very good at it. The mob fight in Rises was abysmal and a huge let down for me and the second confrontational fight between Bats and Bane was painfully underwhelming.

    It's good Nolan isn't going to direct Bond just yet; in that, I'd like to see how he comes along with the action in whatever upcoming films he's doing before I feel comfortable championing him as a director for Bond.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,666
    Skyfail wrote:
    I liked it for a lot of reason's
    I'm sorry, I meant that BB was my favourite- pardon my awkward post.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Posts: 11,139
    chrisisall wrote:
    Skyfail wrote:
    Strange!
    I've noticed this quite often, a lot of Bond fans picked Batman Begins as their favourite of the trilogy. My favourite would be TDKR. :P
    It's mine as well, it had a simple magic to it- the others are so busy IMO...

    Yes, BB is also my favorite. It really feels gritty and dark. You really get a sense of this organic and raw atmosphere that's not as apparent in the sequels, although Rises did come closer to recapturing the grittiness more so than TDK did.
  • Posts: 498
    doubleoego wrote:
    Skyfail wrote:

    Its not that he cannot work outside his collaborators , Take DiCaprio, Nolan worked with him only once and made a hit. Its just that he has a preference. Its something the industry respects.

    Yes, and with DiCaprio came Ken Wantanabe, Cillian Murphy and Michael Cain, actors he's worked with previously. Then he takes half the cast of his core actors for Inception and lumps them in his next batman movie. Preference is alright but continuously doing it shows limitation imo.

    Oh come on !
    Limitation how?
    You speak as if they do a bad job. Each and every one of them are amazing ,they are just side roles and he did not use the main actor like DiCaprio.

    doubleoego wrote:
    Personally I thought the action was pretty good, just not as good as in CR or QoS but it's better than anything I've seen from Nolan.

    Mate,
    If your going to keep this stance and not state the obvious, I am afraid there's no point of us discussing this further.


  • Posts: 498
    chrisisall wrote:
    Skyfail wrote:
    I liked it for a lot of reason's
    I'm sorry, I meant that BB was my favourite- pardon my awkward post.

    Haha , Its quite alright :P
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Posts: 11,139
    Oh come on !
    Limitation how?
    You speak as if they do a bad job. Each and every one of them are amazing ,they are just side roles and he did not use the main actor like DiCaprio.


    Of course they don't do a bad job, although Talia's death scene in TDR was like, a huge wtf? in the way she died. That being said, I think Nolan is limiting himself by constantly recycling most of the same actors in all his movies. One doesn't get better or expand their range and skills by staying inside their comfort zone. I think it would benefit Nolan to diversify a lot more when it comes to collaborating with actors.


    Mate,
    If your going to keep this stance and not state the obvious, I am afraid there's no point of us discussing this further.


    Relax, it's just my opinion which I vehemently stand by and I support my stance simply because Alex Witt is a great second unit director and his work on SF impressed me more than anything Nolan has done. I don't understand why that gets to you. You clearly don't agree with it and that's fine.



  • edited March 2013 Posts: 11,119
    I understand that 'action' is a hot discussion point right now. But if you ask me action should enhance the story. True, it would be nice if the actions sequence was memorable, like a car chase or a revamped kind of ski chase. But we saw how that worked out in Bond films like 'Die Another Day' and 'The World Is Not Enough'.

    I think, looking at the entire Bond's background story in 'Skyfall', a sudden edited car chase would not have worked. Action should be smart, a tool to enhance the plot and story, and if it does, you can make it memorable.

    Yes, 'Skyfall' had less action, but it suited the film. Moreover, in my opinion the best Bond films didn't have too much 'cheesy' action. Look to 'From Russia With Love'. The train fight with Grant in the dark reminded me actually of the fight scene between Bond and Patrice in the skycraper: Dirty, dark, gritty.....just like Terence Young intended it to be....
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Posts: 11,139
    Why is 'action' the driving force in certain discussions?

    Because it's this particular aspect being discussed.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 498
    doubleoego wrote:

    although Talia's death scene in TDR was like, a huge wtf?

    Lmao :)) +1


    doubleoego wrote:
    I think Nolan is limiting himself by constantly recycling most of the same actors in all his movies.

    You see this is a better argument ^
    As opposed to what you said earlier
    doubleoego wrote:
    but continuously doing it shows limitation imo.



    This^ made it sound as if he's incapable of working with anyone else, the man's a creative genious which he proved time and time again. Give him some respect.

    doubleoego wrote:

    Mate,
    If your going to keep this stance and not state the obvious, I am afraid there's no point of us discussing this further.


    Relax, it's just my opinion which I vehemently stand by and I support my stance simply because Alex Witt is a great second unit director and his work on SF impressed me more than anything Nolan has done. I don't understand why that gets to you. You clearly don't agree with it and that's fine.

    Mate,
    What bothers me is that its clear to me that you know your action. I've seen some people talk about action when they are simply not clear on the 'intensity' of a scene.

    The reason I say you know your action is because you made a thread about 'raid'. The fisticuffs and action are good , but its just way too much for my taste.

    Now since you know your action and you mentioned that Cr and QoS has it better than Skyfall which had it pretty weak. To say that TDKR's is worse than Skyfall just seems biased since TDKR is non-Bond. It should be abundantly clear to any action fan which trumps which.

    If you said something like Skyfall or Mendes could give more emotional depth than Nolan. I would agree since it's true.

    But action , no way.
  • Posts: 9,669
    so Bond 24 in 2014 I am ok with that

    On this Side note I loved Bane and Catwoman in TDKR but felt Batman and Alfred were very weak which is an honest to god dam shame as I loved Batman Begins liked The Dark Knight (sorry the older I get the more i get sick of seeing The Joker if its any consolation I hate the Riddler) I want to love The Dark Knight Rises I do but like Skyfall i felt it was ok not amazing and had some serious character moments that made me think WTF
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Posts: 11,139
    Honestly, the only action piece I've liked from Nolan is Batman Vs Bane round 1 and I think the film where he was the most consistent in terms of handling action was in Inception but I felt he dropped the ball for TDKR. As for SF's action, I felt it could and should have been better but I still liked it. Maybe it's the collaboration of Witt, the stunt directors, Deakins and Baird that bring it altogether in a way that makes me favor it over Nolan's stuff.
  • Posts: 136
    2015 does seem a long wait..especially after waiting 4 years for SF!

    Also a bit concerned how long DC can sustain the part...2015 will be nearly a decade since he was cast..and only 3 movies!

    There's just so much legal and contract wrangling these days before anyone actually starts, you know, DOING STUFF....

    Creatively, I don't think 3 years as opposed to 2 makes any difference in quality improvement. In fact, I might be inclined to argue that a bit of time pressure increases creativity. Or in other words, you end up at pretty much the same place, you're just more leisurely about it. QoS was hit by other factors rather than time I think (no scriptwriters handy at crucial moments because of the Writers Strike in the main).

    Connery was knocking them out almost annually with no loss of quality...largely I suspect because there were less business obstacles in the way then.
  • Posts: 1,548
    I,m happy with this. Skyfall proved that with a bit more prep time we get a classic Bond film unlike QOS (hindered by the writers strike admittedly). Also, going slightly off topic I firmly believe that when Daniel Craig's tenure comes to an end EON should wait at least 5-6 years (ie the gap between LTK and GE) before re-casting as whoever follows DC has huge shoes to fill.
  • Posts: 9,669
    LeChiffre wrote:
    I,m happy with this. Skyfall proved that with a bit more prep time we get a classic Bond film unlike QOS (hindered by the writers strike admittedly). Also, going slightly off topic I firmly believe that when Daniel Craig's tenure comes to an end EON should wait at least 5-6 years (ie the gap between LTK and GE) before re-casting as whoever follows DC has huge shoes to fill.

    Skyfall really wasn't that great I just still can't believe i waited four years for an ok bond adventure

  • edited March 2013 Posts: 1,143
    I hope it will be out 2014. A two year cycle would make sense. They need to keep the momentum up following the run away success of Skyfall. Don't want to see a longer protracted gap as happened between the very successful CR to QOS then 4 year gap to SF
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited March 2013 Posts: 4,043
    TDKR was not only the worst Bat Film, it is Nolan's worst film period, when I saw it at the cinema I thought it was great but was little mixed up the hype of seeing it. A second watch on Blu ray made me think it was bloated and the worse of the trilogy. I hope Nolan gets his mojo back for his next film, although I much prefer him in Memento, Prestige mode and are getting a little sick of him doing blockbusters.

    I guess it's each to his but I can't imagine why anyone would like it over TDK (which is easily the highlight of the 3) or BB which is a great introduction.

    I have to strongly disagree with Skyfail that the action in TDKR was better than Skyfall, I much preferred it. The Bane fight was considerably underwhelming and thought nothing was a memorable as the SF PTS.

    Brian Singer went the same way, at least Nolan had a quality body of work before he went all blockbuster, Singer made one truly great 2nd film and then followed it up with films of varying quality and it seems his latest is pretty terrible, there was a time I would have been excited by his name being attached to projects but it seems like Nolan he's lost to blockbuster land.

    Nolan's best action sequence is still the opening of TDK, the rest of the film from a visual stand point struggles to catch up although dramatically it has many highlights.

    I've been a Nolan fan since seeing Memento when it first hit DVD and no these blockbusters are not his strong point both Memento and Prestige are the real example of his genius certainly not his career low point TDKR, give me the simplicity of Following any day of the week.


  • edited March 2013 Posts: 2,015
    B) Two year gaps are not so favourite anymore if you ask Michael and Barbara.(...) Gary Barber is right. I actually advice him to greenlight a November 2015 release.
    Have you listened to the previous conference call (which is not online anymore) ? The return to two years gap was a wish of one of the stockholders, and they answered (without any specific data at all, this not the place for wishful thinkin in such legal stuff) it was the goal.
    C) As of 'Skyfall', EON now favours bigger name actors and bigger name crew
    Craig's Bond girls so far have been French actress almost unknown to the larger audience. Do you really think in the next movie they'll cast a big name for that role ? I'm far from convinced we'll go back to Halle Berry type of casting.
  • zb007zb007 UK
    Posts: 85
    It's rather a head scratcher you would think after skyfall's success they would want the next one out asap ???
  • Posts: 612
    They need to make Bond 24 as good as possible. If that means waiting an extra year or two, so be it.
  • The thing fans who are okay with a 3 year wait need to remember is that MGM wants a new film every 2 years. This is why John Logan is working on the scripts for BOND 24 and 25 so far out in advance of when the process normally starts. Circumstances depending on the film could change the timing but as far as I've heard EON is on board with the studio's wishes to make films for 2014 and 2016 release dates. Money should be no object as far as giving us every dollar on the screen and hiring the best available talent to put it there.

    The extra year is no guarantee of quality either. DAD anyone?
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 498

    Risico007 wrote:
    LeChiffre wrote:
    I,m happy with this. Skyfall proved that with a bit more prep time we get a classic Bond film unlike QOS (hindered by the writers strike admittedly). Also, going slightly off topic I firmly believe that when Daniel Craig's tenure comes to an end EON should wait at least 5-6 years (ie the gap between LTK and GE) before re-casting as whoever follows DC has huge shoes to fill.

    Skyfall really wasn't that great I just still can't believe i waited four years for an ok bond adventure

    This This This ^ !!
    I know exactly how you feel , Risico007 :(
  • Posts: 498
    Shardlake wrote:
    Nolan's best action sequence is still the opening of TDK

    This is what I meant when I told doubleoego that some people just don't seem to grasp the concept of intensity, which I believe he did.

    Skyfall had poor action-True , But every single action scene in Skyfall sans the Macau Casino fight Trumps the TDK Opening as far as 'action' is concerned.

    There is no denying the fact that scene in TDK is the highlight of the movie and is one of the best sequences in cinema, but for you to say its his best action ?!

    they fired like 4 bullets in that scene and not a single fist fight -yup best action scene ever ! :P

  • Posts: 498
    The thing fans who are okay with a 3 year wait need to remember is that MGM wants a new film every 2 years. This is why John Logan is working on the scripts for BOND 24 and 25 so far out in advance of when the process normally starts. Circumstances depending on the film could change the timing but as far as I've heard EON is on board with the studio's wishes to make films for 2014 and 2016 release dates. Money should be no object as far as giving us every dollar on the screen and hiring the best available talent to put it there.

    The extra year is no guarantee of quality either. DAD anyone?

    I feel the same.
  • Posts: 1,407
    Skyfail wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:
    LeChiffre wrote:
    I,m happy with this. Skyfall proved that with a bit more prep time we get a classic Bond film unlike QOS (hindered by the writers strike admittedly). Also, going slightly off topic I firmly believe that when Daniel Craig's tenure comes to an end EON should wait at least 5-6 years (ie the gap between LTK and GE) before re-casting as whoever follows DC has huge shoes to fill.

    Skyfall really wasn't that great I just still can't believe i waited four years for an ok bond adventure

    This This This ^ !!
    I know exactly how you feel , Risico007 :(

    I feel bad for you guys. I'll always respect your opinion but I thought it was absolutely worth the wait. Oh well
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 2,081
    ^^ Definitely worth the wait for me, too. :x

    And then there are people choosing user names that seem like they want to show the middle finger every time they post. (Definitely not the same thing as just having a negative opinion.) I'll say "oh well" to that.
  • Posts: 7,653
    If that is right DC would be 51 years old if he were to serve out his two movie contract, If I take into account that each movie will take 3 years.

    And I thought he looked old in SF.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Posts: 4,043
    Skyfail wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:
    Nolan's best action sequence is still the opening of TDK

    This is what I meant when I told doubleoego that some people just don't seem to grasp the concept of intensity, which I believe he did.

    Skyfall had poor action-True , But every single action scene in Skyfall sans the Macau Casino fight Trumps the TDK Opening as far as 'action' is concerned.

    There is no denying the fact that scene in TDK is the highlight of the movie and is one of the best sequences in cinema, but for you to say its his best action ?!

    they fired like 4 bullets in that scene and not a single fist fight -yup best action scene ever ! :P

    Your such a bloody expert on action aren't you, the likes of Michael Mann leave Nolan so called great action sequences in the dust.

    I'm actually a big Nolan fan but his talents lie more in his more intimate films and not the blockbusters, he's still yet to better Memento, Prestige is almost there, but the likes of TDK, BB & Inception are somewhere behind.
    .
    Gareth Evans delivered better action than anyone last year, Skyfall & TDKR are wanting when compared to that element in the Raid, that was the action film of 2012

    I don't necessarily think that Bond has to be an action fest, the action needs to drive the story along unlike the a to b travelogues we've had in the past in the series and for me personally Skyfall did this. There were moments of Rises that just lost my interest. The whole Wayne being kept captured in the pit sequence and escaping just bought the film to a halt and making everything so epic for me was too much, I much preferred the relatively smaller TDK, involving the President and cutting Gotham off from civilization was something more like a Marvel film than the previous films which I much more liked.

    To be honest I'm sick to bloody death on hearing Nolan should direct Bond 24, I'm not sure he would make the film some of his fans purport he would.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited March 2013 Posts: 4,043
    SaintMark wrote:
    If that is right DC would be 51 years old if he were to serve out his two movie contract, If I take into account that each movie will take 3 years.

    And I thought he looked old in SF.

    The difference is unlike Moore he wouldn't need an army of stuntmen to complete the film.

    Craig's detractors will always jump on this one, he has a weathered face granted but he should still be able to convince as Bond when it comes to physicality, something come Rog's last 2 films certainly he couldn't.

Sign In or Register to comment.