The thread of Bond lists - LIST 157 - Evaluate the FRWL Opening Titles. (see criteria)

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited May 2013 Posts: 28,694
    I love how soft many are about the Beatles comment, haha. I fully agree with Bond on that one.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited May 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Oh dear, I didn't just read that 0Brady. I didn't.

Goldfinger ... sigh:

1) Bond does not do much of anything. (And he's BOND for goodness' sakes!!)
    2) Goldfinger gets sucked out of the plane (looks like a rubber chicken ...)
    3) Bond's ridiculous face at the guard
    4) Beatles sans earmuffs remark
    5) Bond's decidedly unattractive terry cloth pool outfit
    6) Slapping Dink and saying "man talk" (I think I am quoting it right) - annoying, even the first time I saw the film

And thelivingroyale, good mention of Live and Let Die (Paul rocks!)
  • I love how soft many are about the Beatles comment, haha. I fully agree with Bond on that one.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-yRFHu7gV3qw/Tbk1htYBJhI/AAAAAAAAAIA/SR4MyTbRe4s/s400/peoples+eyebrow2.jpg
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I love how soft many are about the Beatles comment, haha. I fully agree with Bond on that one.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-yRFHu7gV3qw/Tbk1htYBJhI/AAAAAAAAAIA/SR4MyTbRe4s/s400/peoples+eyebrow2.jpg
    Oh, come on now. Yes, they are iconic. Yes they had spectacular songs of which many will live on forever, but I would take dozens more artists/entertainers over them. I like songs with meaning and connection, and while they had catchy songs, there are plenty of their songs that I just scratch my head at, likely because they were high when writing them. They are good and influential, just not some of the greats that I enjoy most.

Nice one, @Soundofthesinners . But I expected it to be Roger's cocked eyebrow! :P

Seriously, 0Brady, we are just having fun with you because of course people's music tastes are just personal. You and I will always disagree about The Beatles influence, quality, etc. Cest la vie. ("Try to see it my way, only time will tell if I am right or I am wrong ...") :D
  • I love how soft many are about the Beatles comment, haha. I fully agree with Bond on that one.

Nice one. But I expected it to be Roger's cocked eyebrow! :P

If I could have one ability, it would be to do that with my eyebrow.

Nice one, @Soundofthesinners . But I expected it to be Roger's cocked eyebrow! :P

Seriously, 0Brady, we are just having fun with you because of course people's music tastes are just personal. You and I will always disagree about The Beatles influence, quality, etc. Cest la vie. ("Try to see it my way, only time will tell if I am right or I am wrong ...") :D

I agree they have had immense musical influence, I am just arguing that so many do it better for me.

Oh, come on now. Yes, they are iconic. Yes they had spectacular songs of which many will live on forever, but I would take dozens more artists/entertainers over them. I like songs with meaning and connection, and while they had catchy songs, there are plenty of their songs that I just scratch my head at, likely because they were high when writing them. They are good and influential, just not some of the greats that I enjoy most.

Don't worry Brady, I understand compeletely. I am not fond of The Beatles either! Give me their counterpart, The Rolling Stones, anyday!

This list should be easy for me! It'll be finding its good moments that will be the impossible task!

5 Worst Moments in Goldfinger

1. Miss Galore's introduction on the plane (granted, any scene she's in, but especially her introduction. Ehhhhhllggg.....why would Bond ever try for her?)
    2. Driving through Switzerland (this sequence drags terribly, and I find nothing exceptionally impressive about the Swiss mountains. They look rather drab to me!)
    3. Oddjob getting the car demolished at the junk yard (again, this sequence drags tremendously, and really adds nothing to the movie whatsoever, except to establish the fact that Mr. Solo is indeed dead, and that Goldfinger double-crosses his partners, which obviously, we already knew!)
    4. The barn romance scene (I already despise Miss Galore, so this scene was already doomed to make the list!)
    5. The ending on Air Force One with Goldfinger (personally, this scene could have been extended and better played out- it ends much too quickly, and Goldfinger's death is just LAME)
    @00Beast, I can't wait until we get to OHMSS to see your responses. I task you with finding 20 faults, something I am sure you are more than able to do. ;)
  • You don't like The Beatles, Goldfinger, or On Her Majesty's Secret Service?

Now you've gone and done it. http://mrselwyn.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/the-saint.jpg
    @00Beast, I can't wait until we get to OHMSS to see your responses. I task you with finding 20 faults, something I am sure you are more than able to do. ;)

Challenge.......ACCEPTED! It will be done! 20 is child's play for me, hahaha! ;)
    You don't like The Beatles, Goldfinger, or On Her Majesty's Secret Service?

Now you've gone and done it. http://mrselwyn.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/the-saint.jpg

Hahahaha, I see you find my tastes disturbing!
    edited May 2013 Posts: 28,694
    00Beast wrote:

Challenge.......ACCEPTED! It will be done! 20 is child's play for me, hahaha! ;)

You might even be able to rack up at least 15 by the time Bond meets Draco. =))
    00Beast wrote:

You might even be able to rack up at least 15 by the time Bond meets Draco. =))

It will most definitely be 15 by that time, if not more! Hahaha!
    I'm a big fan of the Beatles but I found Bond's line snobbishly funny.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    LIST 1: The 007 most intelligent Bond girls
    LIST 2: Your 007 favourite OT sequences by Maurice Binder
    LIST 3: Your 007 most annoying moments in a Bond film
    LIST 4: Rank the Aston Martin cars from the Bonds
    LIST 5: 007's 007 coolest moments
    LIST 6: Rank the non-Barry/Arnold scores
    LIST 7: Your 007 most sexy moments in the Bonds
    LIST 8: The 6 best moments of Bond in London
    LIST 9: The 007 best uses of the Bond Theme
    LIST 10: The 5 worst faces made by the Bonds
    LIST 11: Your top 10 PTS
    LIST 12: The 6 best scenes in OHMSS
    LIST 13: David Arnold's 6 finest moments in the Bonds
    LIST 14: The five nicest folks who ever played a part in a Bond film.
    LIST 15: Ranking the Glen directed Bonds.
    LIST 16: Rank the Blofelds (including NSNA and FYEO)
    LIST 17: The 5 worst moments in DN.
    LIST 18: The 5 best moments in DN.
    LIST 19: The 5 worst moments in FRWL.
    LIST 20: The 5 best moments in FRWL.
    LIST 21: The 5 worst moments in GF.

<font color=orange size=5><b>LIST 22</b></font>

<font color=green size=6> <b>The 5 best moments in GF.</b></font>
    5 - The AM DB5's chase on Goldfinger's industrial grounds

4 - The golden girl

3 - Laser table scene

2 - Raid on Ford Knox by hot blondes

1 - Oddjob's climactic fight with Bond
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    5 - The Golf Sequence.

4 - The Final fight with Oddjob.

3 - The Pre-title sequence.

2 - The Laser Table Scene.

1 - Car chase at Goldfinger's factory.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 12,837
    1) PTS

2) Laser table scene

3) Car chase

4) Bond's fight with Oddjob in the vault

5) Bond finds Jill covered in gold paint
    1 - PTS and massive song!
    2 - Laser table scene (still one of my fav one liners, too)
    3 - Jill painted gold, a strange and shocking scene at that time and so iconic now
    4 - Oddjob, a very different kind of killer (got to take your hat off to him) ;)
    5 - Pussy's intro and Bond's reaction
    5.) Bassey's song

4.) Fort Knox fight

3.) The PTS

2.) The Golden Girl

1.) "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"/laser table scene
  • 1. Laser table scene

2. PTS

3. Girl painted gold

4. Q scene

5. Car chase in Goldfinger's facility
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    1. Laser table scene and dialogue
    2. PTS
    3. DB5 night chase at Auric Enterprises
    4. 18 holes with Goldfinger
    5. Bond Vs. Oddjob

Honourable mentions:

Theme song/title sequence with extra footage of Dink
    Bond Vs. Q
    Paint. Gold paint.
    1. The final battle at Fort Knox
    2. Aston Martin DB5 car chase at Auric Enterprises
    3. The pre-title sequence
    4. Miami Beach hotel
    5. The laser table scene

And I seriously do mean it when I say that these are basically the only enjoyable moments of an otherwise disappointing flop of a Bond movie.
    LIST 1: The 007 most intelligent Bond girls
    LIST 2: Your 007 favourite OT sequences by Maurice Binder
    LIST 3: Your 007 most annoying moments in a Bond film
    LIST 4: Rank the Aston Martin cars from the Bonds
    LIST 5: 007's 007 coolest moments
    LIST 6: Rank the non-Barry/Arnold scores
    LIST 7: Your 007 most sexy moments in the Bonds
    LIST 8: The 6 best moments of Bond in London
    LIST 9: The 007 best uses of the Bond Theme
    LIST 10: The 5 worst faces made by the Bonds
    LIST 11: Your top 10 PTS
    LIST 12: The 6 best scenes in OHMSS
    LIST 13: David Arnold's 6 finest moments in the Bonds
    LIST 14: The five nicest folks who ever played a part in a Bond film.
    LIST 15: Ranking the Glen directed Bonds.
    LIST 16: Rank the Blofelds (including NSNA and FYEO)
    LIST 17: The 5 worst moments in DN.
    LIST 18: The 5 best moments in DN.
    LIST 19: The 5 worst moments in FRWL.
    LIST 20: The 5 best moments in FRWL.
    LIST 21: The 5 worst moments in GF.
    LIST 22: The 5 best moments in GF.

<font color=orange size=5><b>LIST 23</b></font>

<font color=green size=6> <b>The 5 worst moments in TB.</b></font>
    And yet again I find myself struggling big time with this, but okay:

5 - The grape joke - not funny.
    4 - (Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang should have been used either for the OT or the CT)
    3 - A little too much coincidence involved in the SPA scenes.
    2 - Water shooting out of the AM in the PTS and the poor transition to the OT sequence.
    1 - PTS thugs just shoot randomly in the air instead of actually aiming at Bond.
    I'll get back to you with my list soon, but I just had to share that as I glance over the thread titles I have, more than once, read this one as: "The Threat of Bond Lists" which I find amusing. These lists are gonna be the death of me! ;)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    This is going to far! :p

5. The quirky cat and mouse game at the Spa.

4. The padding out where Bond just waits in the rocky cliff for Felix to pick him up.

3. The underwater climax being a little bit too long.

2. Felix's voice changed for a moment! (When they find the area where the Jet was camouflaged.)

1. Largo showing Bond around his house. (Oh come on, Largo know's who Bond is, why didn't he kill him as soon as he got to his house!?! The shotgun was pointed right at his face! this isn't Goldfinger.)
    1. Connery yelling "now move!" to Quist as he leaves the hotel room- it just sounds very forced and out of place with the rest of the dialogue; never have liked this!
    2. The tedious underwater scenes of SPECTRE removing the bombs from the plane and boarding them on the Disco Volante- could speed it up a little bit!
    3. The jet pack- quite contraversial, I know, but I never have liked this; honestly, it seems a bit unlikely that he'd have a jet pack on reserve at an enemy's chateau, or even less likely that he'd know one was out there available and that he knew how to use it! It's unexplained and kind of stupid, I think. I'd have rather seen Bond fight his way out of the chateau like any normal 007 circumstance.
    4. Count Lippe's poor assasination attempt- I mean really? One shot from a small revolver while cruising down the highway? Yeah, that'll get 007. Great thinking! Seeing TB for the first time years ago, I thought there was a terrific car chase ahead, and then I figure out that some chick on a motorcycle blows that hope away. I mean yeah, she's a looker, but we'll see enough of her in the movie. I want a car chase!
    5. The underwater scene of SPECTRE moving the bomb into the secluded underwater cave- again, this is much too tedious; we already many a scene similiar to this in the beginning of the movie! Besides, after seeing such good plot advancement (Fiona and Vargas getting killed), this really brings things to a grinding halt.
  • 1. All underwater, all the time! The climax is cool, but there's just too much underwater.

2. Spa hijinks and padding.

3. Inexplicable jet pack! Cool and all, but too out of left field "Oh, no! Bond is being chased! Jet pack nevermind!"

4. Violence against women

5. Bond only rarely feeling "in danger" throughout the movie. Seriously, he runs roughshod over the villains with one brief exception.