Sam Mendes to direct Bond 24?

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    ultrabox wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:
    The point is, what you're claiming to prefer can still be achieved with a 2 year break.

Agreed. I actually can't think of many examples where longer layovers work. I feel like the longer the layover the more time it allows people to get older, rusty, and distanced from the project. I do think that movies can be clustered too close together and be rushed, but 2-3 years is acceptable.

I agree. Craig is 45 and the best thing that's happened to EoN since GE. Mothballing him is just ridiculous. With the Craig era being so successful and SF being the biggest movie since TB, recementing Bond's critical and commercial success and rightful place in pop culture, large gaps in between movies is just madness and as you rightfully said, rusts sets in and there's a saying in the world of business, time is the killer of deals. We need to strike while the iron is hot and keep the momentum going. Let Craig finish his last 2 or 3, then EoN can take a 5 year break if needs be.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    HASEROT wrote:
    @CraigMooreOHMSS

Nolan has not yet been nominated for an Academy Award.... so no, i would not classify him as an Oscar-Heavy director.

I think Nolan is destined to be one of 'those' directors that will forever be snubbed by the Academy, no matter how good his work is.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited March 2013 Posts: 4,399
    HASEROT wrote:
    @CraigMooreOHMSS

Nolan has not yet been nominated for an Academy Award.... so no, i would not classify him as an Oscar-Heavy director.

I think Nolan is destined to be one of 'those' directors that will forever be snubbed by the Academy, no matter how good his work is.

it really depends... he's part of that "summer blockbuster" type crowd now with the success of his Batman trilogy - but films like that are hardpressed to garner any attention from the Academy, unless it's for technical achievements... i think he'll get one some day, but it wont be soon... it took Spielberg and Scorsese how long?? lol
    I am actually kind of relieved. As much as I liked Skyfall, I like having him doing just a one-off. Mendes never really exuded Bond; he just came in as a big childhood fan, but with a stage background and a knack for drama. If I'm going to be perfectly honest, get rid of Dan too. Bring in some fresh blood, lets go back to basics. And 'no' to Chris Nolan while we're at it. His films are too dark for Bond, and I don't think he does action well.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Back to basics? Um, that's what SF did no?
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    JBFan626 wrote:
    If I'm going to be perfectly honest, get rid of Dan too.

=))

Dan's box office run as Bond has garnered over 2 billion dollars between 3 films - thats unprecedented... he is over big time with the general public, and is widely regarded and arguably the best Bond since Connery to many a people and critics alike.....

so sacking him seems like the only logical way to continue and repeat the financial success that Skyfall has achieved...........

..... i am glad you're not the one making decisions over at EON lol.
    HASEROT wrote:
    @CraigMooreOHMSS

IMO, his directing i find very flat from an artistic standpoint... i enjoy his movies, and i like him as a director - but i think he's just a tad overrated when it comes to style.

Christopher Nolan has been nominated for three Oscars so far: Two for 'Best Screenplay' for 'Inception' and 'Memento' and one as producer, 'Best Picture' for 'Inception'.

His directing flat? You must be joking no :-P?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    JBFan626 wrote:
    I am actually kind of relieved.
    Me too.
    doubleoego wrote:
    No, we got a way better than average envelope-pushing one off, back to basics would entail a whole plethora of things starting with more than just a boyhood fan of the films directing and a fancy morphing of TWINE for a story.
    SF was Bond's Wrath Of Khan, cool, not bad, now can we get a proper Bond fun adventure if not a serious espionage movie? :)>-
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 1,497
    doubleoego wrote:
    No I don't think so. SF took Bond in another direction by presenting more abstract themes of ligh-dark, old-new, technology-human ingenuity, and also dealt with both Bond and M's past. The ending sets up a "back-to-basics" direction for B24, which I like. I think such a change in direction, would also benefit from a change in director, almost as if Mendes says "Here you go, I left the series in a good place and brought it back full circle, so it's up to you to make the most out of it." Bring in some one young, relatively unknown, someone British preferrably. Nolan's already made his mark with Batman, so I don't want to see the same style done for Bond.
    HASEROT wrote:
    JBFan626 wrote:

=))

Dan's box office run as Bond has garnered over 2 billion dollars between 3 films - thats unprecedented... he is over big time with the general public, and is widely regarded and arguably the best Bond since Connery to many a people and critics alike.....

so sacking him seems like the only logical way to continue and repeat the financial success that Skyfall has achieved...........

Me neither! Lol. That's why I'm not a big budget film producer! I'm speaking purely from a fan perspective. Dan's been attached to the role for almost 8 years and is 45 now. He's done a fine job with the role, but I'd like to see a change, especially if the series is going in this 'back to basics' direction.

HASEROT wrote:
    @CraigMooreOHMSS

IMO, his directing i find very flat from an artistic standpoint... i enjoy his movies, and i like him as a director - but i think he's just a tad overrated when it comes to style.

Christopher Nolan has been nominated for three Oscars so far: Two for 'Best Screenplay' for 'Inception' and 'Memento' and one as producer, 'Best Picture' for 'Inception'.

excuse me for not being more precise.... he has not been nominated for Best Director as of yet...

and no i am not joking... like i said, i like his movies, but i find his use of the camera to be very flat and lacking style... that is my opinion and i'm sticking to it.
    JBFan626 wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:
    No I don't think so. SF took Bond in another direction by presenting more abstract themes of ligh-dark, old-new, technology-human ingenuity, and also dealt with both Bond and M's past. The ending sets up a "back-to-basics" direction for B24, which I like. I think such a change in direction, would also benefit from a change in director, almost as if Mendes says "Here you, I left the series in a good place and brought it back full circle, so it's up to you to make the most out of it." Bring in some one young, relatively unknown, someone British preferrably. Nolan's already made his mark with Batman, so I don't want to see the same style done for Bond.
    HASEROT wrote:
    JBFan626 wrote:

=))

Me neither! Lol. That's why I'm not a big budget film producer! I'm speaking purely from a fan perspective. Dan's been attached to the role for almost 8 years and is 45 now. He's done a fine job with the role, but I'd like to see a change, especially if the series is going in this 'back to basics' direction.

No, but I do want some continuation now really. To suddenly go completely low-budget is kinda stupid...
    Sam did a great job and all on Skyfall but I just can't help but feel like we're going to look back on this and be happy, especially if Nolan comes in and does an even better film in Bond 24!
    Let me throw a director's name out there - David Fincher.
    Let me throw a director's name out there - David Fincher.

Think he's busy making 20,000 Leagues...
  • GoldenballGoldenball United States
    Let's throw another directors name out there - Tomas Alfredson
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2013 Posts: 28,694
    I don't think this is something most of us didn't see coming, but it is a tad sad. I understand why Sam is passing though. He has so much already on his plate to balance, and I think he needs a break from Bond to really come back and knock us off our socks instead of heading directly back into the Bond director's chair with not as much energy and determination as he would have had. I mean, look on the bright side: Both Sam and EON want to work with each other again, so in all likelihood we will see "Directed by Sam Mendes" flashing on the screens of a Bond film or more in the future. This isn't the end of Mendes and his involvement in this franchise, and that for my money is all that matters. And he sure gave us a great film. Thanks, Sam. :)>-
    This isn't the end of Mendes and his involvement in this franchise, and that for my money is all that matters. And he sure gave us a great film. Thanks, Sam. :)>-

You think so? You think he'd do a Martin Campbell and come back in 10 years? With all respect to Campbell, Mendes is in a different league as far as esteemed directors go. Mendes being a big name Oscar winning directing, may not have time to return to Bond again.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    JBFan626 wrote:
    This isn't the end of Mendes and his involvement in this franchise, and that for my money is all that matters. And he sure gave us a great film. Thanks, Sam. :)>-

You think so? You think he'd do a Martin Campbell and come back in 10 years? With all respect to Campbell, Mendes is in a different league as far as esteemed directors go. Mendes being a big name Oscar winning directing, may not have time to return to Bond again.

The more famous you are the more you get to do solely what you want to do, and Sam loves Bond. I don't see why it is impossible at all.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Well, if I had to place money on it, I'd say one day, Mendes will return. That may be as soon as Bond 25. Who knows what the future holds.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    HASEROT wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:
    @CraigMooreOHMSS

excuse me for not being more precise.... he has not been nominated for Best Director as of yet...

and no i am not joking... like i said, i like his movies, but i find his use of the camera to be very flat and lacking style... that is my opinion and i'm sticking to it.

I took the conversation to be about the 'Best Director' category as well.
    I agree, and I don't find his handling of action scenes very interesting either.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited March 2013 Posts: 1,261
    Tuulia wrote:

His career was fine before Skyfall. He is doing theatre now and then more theatre after it - you don't think he would be hired to do it if he hadn't done a Bond movie? ;)

And he obviously loves Bond, and is friends with Daniel. Besides, there was no way to know beforehand that the film would be such a massive success both critically and at the box office, and if it hadn't been, he'd have just damaged his career.

On the contrary. People slammed him for doing AMERICAN BEAUTY to be a politcial leftist. There was a risk, as he never made a blockbuster action movie (RTP was not a action move), but he proved the critics wrong. Pity that he will not return for B24. Danny Boyle might be a good choice. Or bring back Martin Campbell. I don't about Joe Wright, I only watched HANNA, which I consiered to be good, but not brilliant. And it might depend on Craig and his commimtemnt to TGWPWF. Rumours have it, that MGM consider to repalce him, because he wanted more money. But I don't know whether there is some truth in it...
    Rumours have it, that MGM consider to repalce him, because he wanted more money. But I don't know whether there is some truth in it...

doubtful... this isn't Pierce we are talking about..

Dan signed his contract and he has 2 more films to go which he is legally obligated to.. if he wants more money, it'll be for another film after his current contract is up.

• brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    @DoctorKaufmann
    Replace Craig? How do these things get started. EON will not touch the main cast. Seen the BO for SF lately? Meanwhile FWIW here's the paper of record:
    http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/06/sam-mendes-says-he-wont-direct-next-james-bond-movie/
    Nolan it must be then slightly ahead of schedule. Brit director preferably.
    Bigelow!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Now on 007.com:

http://www.007.com/bond-24-news/

Hoping we find out who's next as soon as possible.

The ever revolving door keeps going round.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited March 2013 Posts: 1,261
    =bg= wrote:
    @DoctorKaufmann
    Replace Craig? How do these things get started. EON will not touch the main cast. Seen the BO for SF lately? Meanwhile FWIW here's the paper of record:
    http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/06/sam-mendes-says-he-wont-direct-next-james-bond-movie/

Well, how do rumours start? :) Because somebody starts posting them... ;) Probably not serious and reliabale sources... Other sources are in German, but presumably based on these sources...

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/the-girl-who-played-with-fire-could-continue-without-daniel-craig

http://collider.com/girl-who-played-with-fire-movie-sequel-daniel-craig/

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/60661

Rooney already confirmed, its not true.
    And I also don't believe it was for the money. Sam Mendes wants to do more theatre (where he actually comes from), so we have to respect this decision, I am also sad he does not return, but maybe he might return for Bond 25 or so...
    This hasn't really effected me. Would have loved to of had him back again, but I was more gutted when Campbell didn't come back after CR.

Opens up new ideas, something a little different.