Dominic Greene as a villain in QoS?

Comments

Ludovico wrote:
    I thought Dominic Greene came across as intended. A slimy, shadowy, lizard-like CEO. He just wasn't given much time to shine. I find it quite chilling when he starts swinging the axe at the end as well as the scene when he attempts to throw Camille off the balcony.

I think he was very well portrayed by Mathieu Amalric.

Me too he was an amazing villain , just fit in place. He was not meant to be cartoony or camp. Just a slimy CEO .

• edited March 2013 Posts: 1,492
    002 wrote:
    * his plans of "World Domination" are pathetic...just wants a couple of more $ on Bolivia's watersupply....which we all thought it was oil and then strangely enough its water? basically it turns the whole idea of Qantum into a laughing joke

But he is one cog in Quantum which is flexing its muscles in South America and it may not affect your life directly but as you saw the Bolivians who we saw queueing for water were directly affected. We actually saw the affect of the villains plans on actual human beings.

Also if an organisation wants global power then surely gaining the worlds resources is a good way to do it.

actonsteve wrote:
    002 wrote:
    * his plans of "World Domination" are pathetic...just wants a couple of more $ on Bolivia's watersupply....which we all thought it was oil and then strangely enough its water? basically it turns the whole idea of Qantum into a laughing joke

But he is one cog in Quantum which is flexing its muscles in South America and it may not affect your life directly but as you saw the Bolivians who we saw queueing for water were directly affected. We actually saw the affect of the villains plans on actual human beings.

Also if an organisation wants global power then surely gaining the worlds resources is a good way to do it.

Exactly, when Bond intercepted Quantum they happened to be in the Bolivia project, there are more projects on hand it would seem. But I think at that moment it was they're best opportunity to amass most wealth and have more political influence.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2013 Posts: 28,694
    As it has been said, if you control the resources you can get the people under your control. Simple as that, and a perfect present day plot if you ask me.
    He was just a bit of a forgettable character to be honest. Amalric did what he could with him but as a threat to Bond he just seemed rather inconsequential. The villains in the Fleming novels (even the cogs in a larger machine like SMERSH) had more of a presence and a "larger than life" quality.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    He was just a bit of a forgettable character to be honest. Amalric did what he could with him but as a threat to Bond he just seemed rather inconsequential. The villains in the Fleming novels (even the cogs in a larger machine like SMERSH) had more of a presence and a "larger than life" quality.

Not all villains are OTT. The most dangerous are unassuming.
    As it has been said, if you control the resources you can get the people under your control. Simple as that, and a perfect present day plot if you ask me.

Precisely !
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 11,189
    actonsteve wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Not all villains are OTT. The most dangerous are unassuming.

In Fleming's world quite a lot of them were though:

-Mr Big
    -Drax
    -Red Grant
    -Klebb
    -Dr No
    -Blofeld
    -Goldfinger
    -Oddjob

They were all pretty much charicatures. That's why I prefer Silva. He's mad but with a dose of camp "larger than life" thrown in.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 11,425
    I thought Amalric's portrayal was pretty crackers actually. I liked his (slightly)understated, about to erupt, lunacy. I thought Silva's entrance in SF was fantastic, but after that I completely lost interest in him as a character. Amalric plays the frustrated middle ranking criminal villain rather well I think. I enjoy QoS but am perfectly prepared that it could still have been a whole lot better. However, given the script issues I think Forster and the cast did a good job. For me personally there are more memorable and truly enjoyable scenes in QoS than in any other Bond film for a long time, including:

1. beautiful opening car chase
    2. nice shots of Sienna with a crowd scene (these used to be a key part of most Bond movies)
    3. confusingly cut rather nicely OTT rooftop chase sequence (you get a real sense of place that is absent from SF)
    4. the Tosca sequence is excellent - the best in a Bond movie may be for 25 years
    5. The first meeting with Mathis at his house overlooking the sea
    6. Greene's party - looks nicely stylish and some enjoyable dialogue
    7. Bond and Leiter in the dive bar
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    QOS is definitely my favourite 21st Century Bond movie so far.
    Getafix wrote:
    I thought Amalric's portrayal was pretty crackers actually. I liked his (slightly)understated, about to erupt, lunacy. I thought Silva's entrance in SF was fantastic, but after that I completely lost interest in him as a character. Amalric plays the frustrated middle ranking criminal villain rather well I think. I enjoy QoS but am perfectly prepared that it could still have been a whole lot better. However, given the script issues I think Forster and the cast did a good job. For me personally there are more memorable and truly enjoyable scenes in QoS than in any other Bond film for a long time, including:

1. beautiful opening car chase
    2. nice shots of Sienna with a crowd scene (these used to be a key part of most Bond movies)
    3. confusingly cut rather nicely OTT rooftop chase sequence (you get a real sense of place that is absent from SF)
    4. the Tosca sequence is excellent - the best in a Bond movie may be for 25 years
    5. The first meeting with Mathis at his house overlooking the sea
    6. Greene's party - looks nicely stylish and some enjoyable dialogue
    7. Bond and Leiter in the dive bar

Agree with you fully

chrisisall wrote:
    QOS is definitely my favourite 21st Century Bond movie so far.

You too brother.
  • actonsteve wrote:
    002 wrote:

Absolutely, couldn't agree more. I am sick and tired of people stating that QOS is rubbish because the villian "was only after the water supply of Bolivia".
    Thses people totally miss the point, and as you say he is only one cog in a much larger machine.
    The point is that Quantum want world domination and as the US and Russia have shown the only way to do this is to overthrow governments and control areas of the world and their resources, whether this be water, oil, land etc.

I am not even a big fan of QOS, I feel it had a lot more potential , but it is still an enjoyable, if short, Bond. The locations and scenery are quite stunning, Greene is a memorable villian and it has one of the most believable story lines in the entire Bond franchise.
    Actually the villain of QoB is excellent in my humble opinion, a real life slime. The choice of henchperson in guise of Elvis was just poor. Just like most of the movie for which one can blame Forster, the editor and the action-director both straight from a Bourne-movie. And nobody can tell me that EON did not ask these people "Can we have a bit of the Bourne sauce as it works really good." ANd to be honest it did not work together with two of the worst edited actionscenes ever in the series: the flipping boatsequence and the opening carchase that was edited down from three cars chasing to two (and it feels incomplete). People complaining over the SFX in DAD got a 2nd attempt at poor and unbelievable CGI with the jumping from the plane without a chute.

But overal the plot of having some financial gain from such activities as supporting a coup in a South American country and making a shedload of money was actualy quite realistic and good, the banker who was responsible was one of the realistic baddies in the franchise. However the overal story was far from finished and lacked finesse that coupled with a terrible editing makes it THE flawed attempt in the franchise. IT could have been a great movie but was muddled by a poorly suited director for the job and his Bourne collegaes.

WHile I am no great fan of the Bourne franchise I give them credit for doing a splendid job in creating a serries that feels original and modern.
    His character suffered the most from the poor script. No real menace or threat from him. Waste of a great actor for the series.
    bondboy007 wrote:
    His character suffered the most from the poor script. No real menace or threat from him. Waste of a great actor for the series.

The film could have been a lot better, but I enjoy Amalric's performance - he is always watchable. Yes they could have done more with him, but he is not completely wasted. Just underused. But I'd say the same of Bardem in SF - brilliant opening entrance and after that - nothing.

Getafix wrote:
    Yes they could have done more with him, but he is not completely wasted. Just underused. But I'd say the same of Bardem in SF - brilliant opening entrance and after that - nothing.
    Yes, I agree, Bardem memorized me early on, then just became standard nut #58.
    Getafix wrote:
    bondboy007 wrote:

The film could have been a lot better, but I enjoy Amalric's performance - he is always watchable. Yes they could have done more with him, but he is not completely wasted. Just underused. But I'd say the same of Bardem in SF - brilliant opening entrance and after that - nothing.

I wouldnt say that. The "life clung to me like a disease" scene is one of the highlights of the film for me
    actonsteve wrote:
    I wouldnt say that. The "life clung to me like a disease" scene is one of the highlights of the film for me
    The power of that scene & Bardem's performance in it was diluted by the silly Gollum-like CGI, for me, anyway.
    chrisisall wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:
    The power of that scene & Bardem's performance in it was diluted by the silly Gollum-like CGI, for me, anyway.

Definitely .
    Skyfail wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:

Definitely .

Also disliked the Hannibal Lecter box they put him in. The set looked a bit cheap and 'wrong' to me. I've said it before, but I did not like the overtones of extraordinary rendition that surround Silva's treatment. The man was wronged by MI6 in the past and is then treated like an animal in a zoo - Bernard Lee would not have treated even the vilest villain like this. This is where the tendency towards 'realism' and reflecting the real world sinister aspects of what MI6 sometimes gets up to spoils the movie for me.
    Getafix wrote:
    Bernard Lee would not have treated even the vilest villain like this. This is where the tendency towards 'realism' and reflecting the real world sinister aspects of what MI6 sometimes gets up to spoils the movie for me.

How do you think his m dealt with all the defectors of the sixties and seventies? Put them up at ritz?
    actonsteve wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    bondboy007 wrote:

Can I add his last scene with M in the church. Quite disturbing stuff.
    actonsteve wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Bernard Lee would not have treated even the vilest villain like this. This is where the tendency towards 'realism' and reflecting the real world sinister aspects of what MI6 sometimes gets up to spoils the movie for me.

How do you think his m dealt with all the defectors of the sixties and seventies? Put them up at ritz?

You tell me. I don't remember his sticking them in glass boxes. If you're suggesting Lee would have happily authorised a hit, I don't doubt it, but that is very different.
    So you'd rather have M authorise a hit than have him put in a glass box?
    BAIN123 wrote:

Certainly.
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Certainly.

I suppose his civil liberties can't be infringed if he's dead can they? ;)
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Certainly.

I suppose his civil liberties can't be infringed if he's dead can they? ;)

It's not about civil liberties exactly. I just dislike the 'tone' it creates and the implications about the way that Bond and MI6 work and their values. Sticking people in glass boxes is what you expect a villain to do - it dehumanises and humiliates the captive. Frankly that scene only made me empathise with Silva and dislike M even more.

When Bond is taken captive on Silva's island he treated classily - tied to a chair and given a leg grope. A sign that Silva is old school and respects the way in which these things are supposed to be done. ;)
    actonsteve wrote:
    002 wrote:

Absolutely, couldn't agree more. I am sick and tired of people stating that QOS is rubbish because the villian "was only after the water supply of Bolivia".
    Thses people totally miss the point, and as you say he is only one cog in a much larger machine.
    The point is that Quantum want world domination and as the US and Russia have shown the only way to do this is to overthrow governments and control areas of the world and their resources, whether this be water, oil, land etc.

I am not even a big fan of QOS, I feel it had a lot more potential , but it is still an enjoyable, if short, Bond. The locations and scenery are quite stunning, Greene is a memorable villian and it has one of the most believable story lines in the entire Bond franchise.

And people often seem to forget how vital is water, literally. If you control the watter supply of a country, you control the life of its citizens, you control agricultural production, and you hold the government, any government in power, by the b*lls. It is more precious than petrol or gold.

This aspct of QOS was not entirely original: it is central to Chinatown, Once Upon a Time in the West and Jean de Florette/Manon des Sources. So I guess these classics had boring and pathetic.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 1,492
    Getafix wrote:
    it dehumanises and humiliates the captive. Frankly that scene only made me empathise with Silva and dislike M even more.
    . ;)

That was the point. You found why silva went after m..