Earth's climate changing a.k.a. Global Warming

123457»

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @CommanderRoss,
    Bravo, sir. Your posts are worth gold. As a fellow countrymen, I can only ask, are you in for the 40 days without meat? Because I've been fervently consuming vegetables and some cheese in the last couple of days, and no meat. ;-)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Deforestation is another scandal, for sure.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @Darth nope, I've just come back from a holiday in Brazil. I don't think I ate anything but meat... :D And I'm planning my next trip too....
    Earlier on someone said that we still have winter (I paraphrase). This is simply not true. In Montreal winter temperature have been steadily rising for the last 20 years, to the point that white Christmases are now unlikely. Winter weather comes later and later in the year and is shorter. Even in Chicoutimi where I come from, one of the snowiest city on the planet, the amount of snowfalls have been steadily decreasing. This is not anecdotal it has been observed and recorded. Now such a trend does not appear out of the blue. it has causes.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 110
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Earlier on someone said that we still have winter (I paraphrase). This is simply not true. In Montreal winter temperature have been steadily rising for the last 20 years, to the point that white Christmases are now unlikely. Winter weather comes later and later in the year and is shorter. Even in Chicoutimi where I come from, one of the snowiest city on the planet, the amount of snowfalls have been steadily decreasing. This is not anecdotal it has been observed and recorded. Now such a trend does not appear out of the blue. it has causes.

I'm the one who said that. I will say that in Chicago the snowfall trend had been the opposite in recent years. Except for this year due to the strong El Niño, our winters have had much more snow here over the past five or six years. Starting in 2009, we had the first of four consecutive winters with 50+ inches of snow. That has never happened in recorded history in Chicago going back to 1871. Two years ago we had the second snowiest winter on record with over 80 inches of snow. So even if snowfall has been on the decreasing trend in Montreal, that doesn't mean that the whole world or the whole hemisphere is going down on the snow count. And I'm a little skeptical of that anyway because most of the US and Canada was unseasonably cold during the past three winters prior to this year. So if there's some official data that I could look at for Montreal, that would be better for confirmation.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Starting in 2009, we had the first of four consecutive winters with 50+ inches of snow. That has never happened in recorded history in Chicago going back to 1871.
    All the proof you need, it seems.
    :D
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    Starting in 2009, we had the first of four consecutive winters with 50+ inches of snow. That has never happened in recorded history in Chicago going back to 1871.
    All the proof you need, it seems.
    :D

I have no clue what you are saying. All I was saying to the previous poster was that he's basing it warming climate and what is happening in one city wild there's other cities not that far away that we're having bad winters. Just making a point that you can't base a worldwide climate trend off of one location.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Miami Beach is increasingly flooding. Poor Dink.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    We haven't had an 'elfstedentocht' in 19 years now... Our winters haven't been cold enough..

And @A_Kristatos, more snow says nothing about the actual temperature, it says something about the amount of humidity. If you allready have temperatures far below 0 'C, more snow likely means it's less cold then it used to be. The warmer the air, the more water it can contain.

@Echo I have no doubt Dink has managed to climb a pole somewhere to keep herself dry....
  • We haven't had an 'elfstedentocht' in 19 years now... Our winters haven't been cold enough..

And @A_Kristatos, more snow says nothing about the actual temperature, it says something about the amount of humidity. If you allready have temperatures far below 0 'C, more snow likely means it's less cold then it used to be. The warmer the air, the more water it can contain.

@Echo I have no doubt Dink has managed to climb a pole somewhere to keep herself dry....

I agree with what you're saying commander, except that winter two years ago where we had the 80 inches of snow was also one of the five coldest winters on record. The data is very easy to look up and is currently on the Chicago National Weather Service site.

Prior to that winter, we had another three or four pretty chilly winters, though nowhere near the coldest. But probably within the top 30 or 40% coldest. Last winter had a warm start, but very chilly second half.

This winter due to the strong El Niño had one of the top 10 warmest December's on record. The rest of the winter has been pretty mild with less snow as well, but still had two pretty good arctic cold waves, and is definitely not the warmest winter we've ever had. So again, overall it seems like our winters have gotten cooler over the last five or six years, including the winter two years ago which was the worst since the late 70s.

Our last three summers have been cooler than average as well. Still some hot days, but several days each of the last three summers were you actually needed it jacket, which is pretty unusual here. Yes, 2012 was one of the hottest summers on record here, at least through July. Then August got somewhat cooler and it turns out that it was not the hottest summer on record. Maybe one of the top three or four, but still within the historical norm. Again, my point being that there has been no real increase in average temperature, at least in this area over the past for five years. Probably no real increase in temperatures since the late 90s when we had a peak in the number of mild winters and warm summers.

We haven't had an 'elfstedentocht' in 19 years now... Our winters haven't been cold enough..

I agree with what you're saying commander, except that winter two years ago where we had the 80 inches of snow was also one of the five coldest winters on record. The data is very easy to look up and is currently on the Chicago National Weather Service site.

Prior to that winter, we had another three or four pretty chilly winters, though nowhere near the coldest. But probably within the top 30 or 40% coldest. Last winter had a warm start, but very chilly second half.

This winter due to the strong El Niño had one of the top 10 warmest December's on record. The rest of the winter has been pretty mild with less snow as well, but still had two pretty good arctic cold waves, and is definitely not the warmest winter we've ever had. So again, overall it seems like our winters have gotten cooler over the last five or six years, including the winter two years ago which was the worst since the late 70s.

Our last three summers have been cooler than average as well. Still some hot days, but several days each of the last three summers were you actually needed it jacket, which is pretty unusual here. Yes, 2012 was one of the hottest summers on record here, at least through July. Then August got somewhat cooler and it turns out that it was not the hottest summer on record. Maybe one of the top three or four, but still within the historical norm. Again, my point being that there has been no real increase in average temperature, at least in this area over the past for five years. Probably no real increase in temperatures since the late 90s when we had a peak in the number of mild winters and warm summers.

Well that's the planet for you. At one point warming, cooling on another. All that matters in the end are the average temperatures worldwide. Saw a chart yesterday of the thickness of the ice on the polar caps. It's scary, I can tell you. They've been decreasing for a long time now, and we sure as hell are breaking the smalles icecap competition records this year. It's not good for us in the swamps I can tell you.

I'm the one who said that. I will say that in Chicago the snowfall trend had been the opposite in recent years. Except for this year due to the strong El Niño, our winters have had much more snow here over the past five or six years. Starting in 2009, we had the first of four consecutive winters with 50+ inches of snow. That has never happened in recorded history in Chicago going back to 1871. Two years ago we had the second snowiest winter on record with over 80 inches of snow. So even if snowfall has been on the decreasing trend in Montreal, that doesn't mean that the whole world or the whole hemisphere is going down

I'm the one who said that. I will say that in Chicago the snowfall trend had been the opposite in recent years. Except for this year due to the strong El Niño, our winters have had much more snow here over the past five or six years. Starting in 2009, we had the first of four consecutive winters with 50+ inches of snow. That has never happened in recorded history in Chicago going back to 1871. Two years ago we had the second snowiest winter on record with over 80 inches of snow. So even if snowfall has been on the decreasing trend in Montreal, that doesn't mean that the whole world or the whole hemisphere is going down

Were they? And where are your official datas about unseasonably cold Canadian and American winters in the last three years?
    It's tee shirt weather here in western MA!!! YEA!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    chrisisall wrote: »
    It's tee shirt weather here in western MA!!! YEA!

Boston is on my short short list for towns I have to see.
    http://theweek.com/articles/601670/how-reality-silenced-climate-change-deniers

They are slowly shutting up and/or deflecting so as not to appear to be as stupid/politically manipulating as they are.
    Real life intrusion on BS. :P