Earth's climate changing a.k.a. Global Warming

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    mepal1 wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Is it a common thing for Miami to get such large flooding?
    Ummmm.... no.
    :))

Well, i suppose you can take a boat, to go into town there at the present time. :)
    Right now it's only during high tides, pretty soon though, it'll be an everyday thing. That's why it's not allowed to be talked about in Florida... don't want a mass exodus to destroy their economy.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I know the Ice Age series was popular, but I really don t want that climate anytime soon. We need more emission, not less.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    You can make contributions to GW by releasing some massive farts, @Thunderfinger. So you go and eat those prunes, sir!
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    You can make contributions to GW by releasing some massive farts, @Thunderfinger. So you go and eat those prunes, sir!

I hate prunes, but i do love yellow pea soup.

Now pull my finger, @DarthDimi. And step away from behind me.
    Now we understand your username, @Thunderfinger.
    Now we understand your username, @Thunderfinger.

I always understood yours.
    It's code for Dirt Dimi.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The QoS plot is looking more prescient as time progresses. Welcome to our future.
    bondjames wrote: »
    The QoS plot is looking more prescient as time progresses. Welcome to our future.
    Yes, water is the new oil...
    Thankfully, we get plenty of that water staff in the UK, it literally just falls out of the sky at regular intervals.

:D
    Thankfully, we get plenty of that water staff in the UK, it literally just falls out of the sky at regular intervals.

Quick, bottle it & sell it for $5 a gallon to drought-ridden areas! You too can be an evil mastermind!
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 1,098

Quick, bottle it & sell it for $5 a gallon to drought-ridden areas! You too can be an evil mastermind!

Yeah, good idea, i never thought of that, i could make a fortune from California.

:)
    It's a load of technobabble horsesh*t. It's not totally inaccurate, but it ain't all exactly 'science' either.
    "Even as far south as Chicago there was nearly a kilometer of ice." Oh, I guess he saw this, because he sure is stating it like he did. :))
    He's playing the 'trust MY conclusions, not YOUR real-time observations' card, probably for a bit of attention.
    Yeah, wow. I'm upset now. This piece of garbage ruined my temper and sex life.
    Yeah, wow. I'm upset now. This piece of garbage ruined my temper and sex life.
    I'd like to ask this guy one question: Is the world ocean level rising, yes or no? I bet he couldn't answer that without a bunch of barely related paragraphs on ice in the Paleozoic era...
    =))
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Yes all those greedy scientists lusting after government grants are just swindlers. Good thing we have the selfless petrol companies to fund thinktanks that speak the TRUTH.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,544
    <center>"It is better to debate a question without settling it <font color = red size = 2>(1)</font>
    than to settle a question without debating it." <font color = red size = 2>(2)</font>
    Joseph Joubert</center>

(1) = science
    (2) = every other institution in the world
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Wow, very nice Dimi.
    I do think Mr Former Greenpeace or whatever his name is did some exemplary work with saving whales back in the day, not to mention interfering with hydrogen bomb testing.
    And as both a Canadian and a capitalist(its really not a bad thing. The girl with the lemonade stand is a capitalist) I also do applaud his efforts in exposing the barbarity of the Canadian seal hunt.
    I don't actually care that a bunch of Atlantic fishermen types might supposedly depend on the hunt for livelihood. Business models are fluid. They are not meant to last indefinitely. One must always be ready to adapt to changing conditions.
    If animals can't be slaughtered humanely than leave them alone.

My issue with the supposedly settled climate change debate, is that it is rife with politics.
    In fact the purity of science has been tainted by politics and economic agenda forever.
    The Forbes article that @talos linked is excellent.
    When Marxist International is marching lockstep with climate change activists, I think we have a problem. ie these cats don't care about the planet anymore than they care about the moon.
    They care about tearing down free markets, and setting up collectivist command economies ie bread lines.
    All I hear from grandstanding big government agenda driven political types, is that we must have carbon taxes or even worse ruinous cap-and-trade policies, all of which fatten the coffers of big government (what a schock) yet do zilch to actually reduce emissions.
    Personally nothing is worth doing unless there is a business model to support it, and that includes saving the planet.
    Bigger fatter government is an albatross.
    A gradual methodical transition to renewable energy minus hysteria is the responsible approach.
    Good progress in reducing dependency on coal fired electricity has been made in NA.
    Look, if man is causing climate change 100% (unlikely IMO) just how do we stop it now? Answer: no way.
    If man is merely adding a bit to an already occurring natural event (my take) just how do we stop it? Answer: we can't.
    If man has no part in it whatsoever just how do we stop it? Answer: it's beyond our abilities.

We need to be discussing moving people off low shorelines more than anything else. The BUSINESSES of denial and radical end-of-humanity stuff has to stop.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 4,622
    My take on man caused climate change is that I don't know.Too much noise to sort through.
    But I do think belching smoke into the air and dumping crap into rivers can't be a good thing.
    I live in a big city. Sky is much cleaner, when one heads north.
    So I am all for slowly and steadily creating business models that will allow us to someday transition off fossil fuel dependency.
    That time is probably at least 30-40 new Bond movies away. Maybe longer.
    In meantime, sure move people off shorelines.
    Do recycle like an animal and educate your friends. I'm always amazed at how many people dump obvious recyclables into garbage pails.
    Do protest the Canadian seal hunt. There is no actual need for seal products in the world.
    Mind you if actual northern aboriginal communities that do actually live off the land for sustenance do kill seals for meat. Fine. That's normal, just as the local Alaskan population hunt caribou for meat.

Do demand that meatpackers, farmers, etc participate in the humane raising and slaughter of livestock.
    Roger Moore has done some good work in drawing attention to bird suffering in the processing of foie gras.
    We are stewards of the environment.

And when buying a car maybe take into account how emissions friendly it might be.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 17,691
    timmer wrote: »
    My take on man caused climate change is that I don't know.Too much noise to sort through.
    But I do think belching smoke into the air and dumping crap into rivers can't be a good thing.
    I live in a big city. Sky is much cleaner, when one heads north.
    So I am all for slowly and steadily creating business models that will allow us to someday transition off fossil fuel dependency.
    That time is probably at least 30-40 new Bond movies away. Maybe longer.
    In meantime, sure move people off shorelines.
    Do recycle like an animal and educate your friends. I'm always amazed at how many people dump obvious recyclables into garbage pails.
    Do protest the Canadian seal hunt. There is no actual need for seal products in the world.
    Mind you if actual northern aboriginal communities that do actually live off the land for sustenance do kill seals for meat. Fine. That's normal, just as the local Alaskan population hunt caribou for meat.

Do demand that meatpackers, farmers, etc participate in the humane raising and slaughter of livestock.
    Roger Moore has done some good work in drawing attention to bird suffering in the processing of foie gras.
    We are stewards of the environment.

And when buying a car maybe take into account how emissions friendly it might be.

A very balanced & intelligent post sir! =D>
    One of the issues we have is not being to put our tiny tiny existence as a human species into context against the existence of the planet and its weather system (and then to reduce that using data collected within our own lives). The data we have available is just so small, we have very little long term data to work on. When you hear "heaviest rain since records began etc" , as a trend analysis, its just pretty useless as we have little/no long term data. There could be long term patterns that are perfectly normal within Earth's lifecycle and we dont have the data to spot them.
    Seashells on mountain tops & river carvings into desert areas must tell even the most scientifically illiterate of us that big changes are a normal long term part of our planet's existence.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 4,622
    A very balanced & intelligent post sir!
    But actually inspired by the contributions of others on this thread, including yourself.
    And of course @dimi who does have actual knowledge of science, so just to be clear, I have read his posts, and do defer to much of his unique experience in such matters, and did learn quite a bit from his scribblings, even if I didn't directly comment.
    @patb for sure, the data analysis is an issue. Maybe @dimi can weight in on that.
    Me, I tend to be cynical of political motives and various agendas, but that's just me.

But I think we all at least have to make effort to be stewards of the environment.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Debating climate change is akin to debating gravity.
    echo wrote: »
    Debating climate change is akin to debating gravity.
    A fan of DAD I see!
    "Time to face gravity!"

:))
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    patb wrote: »
    One of the issues we have is not being to put our tiny tiny existence as a human species into context against the existence of the planet and its weather system (and then to reduce that using data collected within our own lives). The data we have available is just so small, we have very little long term data to work on. When you hear "heaviest rain since records began etc" , as a trend analysis, its just pretty useless as we have little/no long term data. There could be long term patterns that are perfectly normal within Earth's lifecycle and we dont have the data to spot them.

Well it does indeed sound better to 'have the warmest day on human record' then 'we think, considering carbon 14 dating of sediments, that this is the warmes january 5th since the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum 65 million years ago'.

Yes, the earth has been hotter. We weren't there, as we've only been around for about 10.000 years and that has been a pretty cool period. That's exactly why people are worried.

Anyway, I don't really care that much about the global warming in itself, allthough if we don't manage to curb it my home town most certainly will be destroyed. But probably not in my lifetime and who cares about the next generation, right? anyway, we still got all that pollution, fighting-in-the-middle-east-because-of-oil, and an ever-impending end to fossil fuels. Even with digging deeper and destroying even more of the surroundings there is an end to it. Personally, I'd prefer renewable energy sources (yes, I'm referring to that huge thermo-nuclear reactor up in the skies too, yes that will burn out eventually I know) to at least give this planet a few habitual years. Maybe I will find a partner who wants a kid just as much as I do in the future, and I'd prefer it if my child would grow up in a liveable place.