Earth's climate changing a.k.a. Global Warming

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    @patb, with all due respect, that seems like a convenient attitude to have to avoid responsibility.
    This summer I drove across the United States. It took me 3 days. If you travel upward just 10 miles you begin to reach space... this is a VERY small planet my friend.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 4,600
    Its just fact, not about responsibility. Humans are always bigging themselves up, thinking how important they are, literally in the centre of the universe. The truth is that we are tiny dust.

Yes we're dust, on a tiny rock in space.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    We are tiny dust, but we do have outsize influence compared to other living organisms. I don't think we can continue our species forever (the historic evidence is against us on this - and forever is a long time) but we can sure prolong its existence, and that must be good for something.....at least for our successors.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Seeing that a new minor ice age is on its way soon, isn t global warming imperative for our well being?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Moreover, I think studies have shown that when complex systems (like the earth and its surrounding elements) undergo change after a period of stability, such changes can begin slowly at first, and then reach a tipping point and then accelerate very quickly and unpredictably. The change is not linear, but rather, exponential.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Lies spread by my competitors. ;)
    I'm under no illusions that we can, as a world, clean up our act. Some part of this change is natural, some part we are accelerating alarmingly. To ME, it's what we do to adapt to this changing climate, because denying it or letting it scare the living daylights out of us will both achieve nothing.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    At the rate we're going, Piz Gloria will soon be beachfront property.
    Miami real estate will be really cheap soon.*

*NOT a joke.
    The human race has an awful lot to answer for when it comes to what we have done to the planet and how we have affected the other many inhabitants of our planet.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    The human race has an awful lot to answer for when it comes to what we have done to the planet and how we have affected the other many inhabitants of our planet.
    This is how He floods the Earth, not spectacularly as in a movie, but slowly, giving us time to repent of our sins....
    (if I had religiousity...)
  • SerialHitmanSerialHitman Plotting my revenge
    The big problem is humans are so set in their ways and it's difficult to change that. It's like an addiction. You can't just tell an alcoholic to "Stop drinking" or a smoker to "Stop smoking". It's a lot more complicated than that. It's the same that you can't just tell someone to "Stop driving petrol powered cars" or to "Stop using so much energy at home". Honestly I think we're too far gone, we're too set in our ways and almost nothing is going to change that.
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Climate change is nonsense.

You showed your intellectual insight, please do not repeat that too often.

GW is a reality!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    GW is a reality!

It absolutely is.
    December in Mass... overcoat & long sleeve shirt weather in the same week. Right now it's raining. In times past it never rained in December- it SNOWED.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    December in Mass... overcoat & long sleeve shirt weather in the same week. Right now it's raining. In times past it never rained in December- it SNOWED.

This December in the UK is rather similar to the one we had in 1945 :)
    That was a long time ago. How old are you tanaka123 ?
    Places are warming, places are cooling. So what?
    IGUANNA wrote: »

Every Bond film since The Living Daylights has come out during my lifetime.

tanaka123 wrote: »
    IGUANNA wrote: »

Every Bond film since The Living Daylights has come out during my lifetime.

The original 1892 version.
    Places are warming, places are cooling. So what?
    Sea level is rising. This is bad already for low lying coastal regions. Crop growing regions are drying up. Do I have to spell out why it's bad?
    :-??
    The Arctic is melting, but the humungous Antarctic is meanwhile freezing.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The essence of GW is not necessarily the "warming up" of the Earth, but instead the destabilisation of our weather. Crazy winds, tornadoes, hurricanes, ... hot and cold days in rapid succession, extreme rainfall followed by extreme draughts, ... All of these things cause crops to fail, induce dangerous geological processes and more.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    The essence of GW is not necessarily the "warming up" of the Earth, but instead the destabilisation of our weather. Crazy winds, tornadoes, hurricanes, ... hot and cold days in rapid succession, extreme rainfall followed by extreme draughts, ... All of these things cause crops to fail, induce dangerous geological processes and more.

Yes, good points, here in the UK we don't seem to have such defined seasons anymore.

One year we could have a glorious hot sunny, summer, followed by next year when it pigging rains for most of the summer.

Regarding Winter, its not uncommon nowadays in the South of England for us to not get any snow whatsover. Yet in 2011 we had an absolute freezer of a winter when the temperatures plummeted to artic conditions. I even went to Italy during this time for a xmas hol to escape this weather, but it was nearly almost as bleedin cold there as well.

As for Spring and Autumn (Fall :) ), in the UK, you really don't know what to expect.
    This Autumn, we had excellent Sunny weather for a long time.

I still remember during my days as a youth, when the seasons were more defined and your father, could go out and make a snowman in the garden during Winter, every year....you can't do that nowadays, coz there's often no snow at all.
    The Arctic is melting, but the humungous Antarctic is meanwhile freezing.
    So if the arctic dumps 900 trillion tons of water into the ocean and the antarctic freezes 300 trillion the result is...

:))
    mepal1 wrote: »
    I still remember during my days as a youth, when the seasons were more defined and your father, could go out and make a snowman in the garden during Winter, every year....you can't do that nowadays, coz there's often no snow at all.
    Same here in New England- as a kid the snow drifts would reach our 2nd floor windows and I'd jump out & slide down them. Now you're lucky if you make a small snow fort once during the winter in February...
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Yet at some point, @chrisisall, you're going to get a winter that doesn't seem to end. The consequences of GB are sadly enough unpredictable on top of disastrous for a certain place at a certain time. Our weather is one of the least understood physical phenomena. The tiniest air disruption you create with a newspaper could set in motion something that might end with a tornado as far as science can tell. Ergo, only rudimentary predictions within a sufficiently wide margin of error can be made. That our climate is changing is a hard fact, denied only by those who either lack the intellect or the courage to face it. However, the details of this climate change are fuzzy at best. How climate change will impact us, will have as much to do with how mankind will address the issue as with the natural course of things on planet Earth.

Sadly, man is a consumer, not a preserver. He's a problem solver, not a problem preventer. He's a killer, not a life saver. He's a me-person, not an us-person. He's a now-thinker, not a tomorrow-thinker. In summary, man has created a monster and it will inevitably destroy him.
    mepal1 wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Yes, good points, here in the UK we don't seem to have such defined seasons anymore.

One year we could have a glorious hot sunny, summer, followed by next year when it pigging rains for most of the summer.

Regarding Winter, its not uncommon nowadays in the South of England for us to not get any snow whatsover. Yet in 2011 we had an absolute freezer of a winter when the temperatures plummeted to artic conditions. I even went to Italy during this time for a xmas hol to escape this weather, but it was nearly almost as bleedin cold there as well.

As for Spring and Autumn (Fall :) ), in the UK, you really don't know what to expect.
    This Autumn, we had excellent Sunny weather for a long time.

Yes UK weather is famously unpredicatble.