The GEORGE LAZENBY Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited September 2016 Posts: 15,423
    Many happy returns, Sir Hilary.
    Belated Happy Birthday George! <:-P
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Live long and prosper Mr. Lazenby.
  • Amen.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Rewatched OHMSS recently. George was absolutely brilliant in it.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I think time has been kind to him as he can now be compared to more than just one actor. And his air of confidence is very appealing
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    He is a charming devil.
  • StrangwaysStrangways London, England
    Coming to this rather late so apologies for resurecting an old thread but I felt that the final comment needed a rebuttal.
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    In one of the OHMSS 'making of' documentaries it was claimed Lazenby spooked Bernard Lee's horse. I'm not sure if Bernard Lee was on the horse but the incident involved a horse. Bernard Lee's life was put in jeopardy due to the horse. And legend has it that was the final straw and the producers had given up on Lazenby. They didn't want him back. Too unprofessional on the set.

Not quite. Lazenby was on the horse (whilst filming in Protugal) and rode up quite close to Bernard Lee causing him to fall into a bush and cut himself. There was no doctor on set so Lee had to be treated by the vet which was humiliating but Lee's life was never in jeopardy. For what it's worth, it was Lee who was bollocked for being unprofessional on set (and not just on OHMSS) due to his notorious alcoholism. On OHMSS, for example, he snuck booze onto the set in a fountain pen.

Another classic "true or false" claim is Peter Hunt not talking to Lazenby during the filming! There are photos showing the two men together on set, on location, so I assume they spoke. Hard to believe they never spoke!

That was a claim made by George Lazenby in an interview but has been taken out of context. Hunt fell out with Lazenby for a couple of days because Lazenby complained about visitors on set ruining his concentration. The visitors in question were close friends of Hunt's (Lazenby, for what it's worth, says he only compained about the visitors because the crew asked him to - the visitors were getting in the way and if Lazenby complained they figured the complaint would be heeded).

Lazenby was offered a 7 Bond film contract from James Bond production company Eon before, during, and after filming of On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

I find this hard to believe. A 7 films contract would be around 14 years of production time. I can't believe EON would have looked that far ahead. I suspect someone has grossly exaggerated that claim to make out Lazenby was more popular with the producers. Clearly he wasn't! Given the claims of his unprofessionalism on set I would suggest it's impossible to imagine Broccoli/Saltzman wanting to rehire George for six more films. That's the stuff of fantasy. Roger Moore had an option to do Moonraker and all subsequent Bond films. From Moonraker he negotiated per film. He was a more established and professional actor than Lazenby but he didn't get a seven picture deal. Why would Lazenby get such a deal? Makes no sense.

The fact that he was offered the deal is a matter of record. It has been relayed by Cubby Broccoli, Peter Hunt, Dick Maibaum and George Lazenby amongst others, many times, over the past 37 years.
    The website on the original post is closed now...does anyone know the salary figure offered to George ?
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited January 2017 Posts: 1,243
    In one of the OHMSS 'making of' documentaries it was claimed Lazenby spooked Bernard Lee's horse. I'm not sure if Bernard Lee was on the horse but the incident involved a horse. Bernard Lee's life was put in jeopardy due to the horse. And legend has it that was the final straw and the producers had given up on Lazenby. They didn't want him back. Too unprofessional on the set.

Another classic "true or false" claim is Peter Hunt not talking to Lazenby during the filming! There are photos showing the two men together on set, on location, so I assume they spoke. Hard to believe they never spoke! Perhaps Lazenby knew he wasn't mature enough for the part so that was a factor in his decision to leave the role?

Just a guess, perhaps the producers weren't that bothered if Lazenby came back and Lazenby didn't care much about coming back. Said in hindsight, George was destined to make one film and that's all.
    Lazenby was offered a 7 Bond film contract from James Bond production company Eon before, during, and after filming of On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

I find this hard to believe. A 7 films contract would be around 14 years of production time. I can't believe EON would have looked that far ahead. I suspect someone has grossly exaggerated that claim to make out Lazenby was more popular with the producers. Clearly he wasn't! Given the claims of his unprofessionalism on set I would suggest it's impossible to imagine Broccoli/Saltzman wanting to rehire George for six more films. That's the stuff of fantasy. Roger Moore had an option to do Moonraker and all subsequent Bond films. From Moonraker he negotiated per film. He was a more established and professional actor than Lazenby but he didn't get a seven picture deal. Why would Lazenby get such a deal? Makes no sense.

Interesting I say. Connery was signed for five films. EON would of had an escape clause in case Lazenby was badly received. Broccoli never mentioned a seven film deal in his book and furthermore no contract was signed.

And the seven film deal seems far fetched. No lawyer would advise tying the hands down of the producers,because such a contract would be financially irresponsible and United Artists would of had a wait and see attitude.

Lazenby as Connery remarked, should of kept his mouth shut.

edited January 2017 Posts: 7,570
    George made his fortune in the end from real estate so in the end we know two things about playing James Bond

1. You will be wealthy one way or the other.
    2. You will never die.*

*footnote - this does not count outside the Eon series. David Niven therefore had to die.
  • //Connery was signed for five films. //

He was originally signed for six. That deal was still in effect when he did the Playboy interview in 1965 and it's referenced there. At some point, the deal was revised, with him getting more money and the number of films shortened.
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    //Connery was signed for five films. //

He was originally signed for six. That deal was still in effect when he did the Playboy interview in 1965 and it's referenced there. At some point, the deal was revised, with him getting more money and the number of films shortened.

I stand corrected. I never read that interview.

• Whether George was a jerk or not, and it seems clear that at times he was, this was the studio's fault for not making him sign a multi-picture contract with the studio's option at the moment he was hired for OHMSS.

'Sign this and you're rich, or we go with choice number two,' in other words.
  • fjdinardo wrote: »
    Has George gone on and aid he regrets his decision of not continuing with bond? Or does he stand by his decision?

No, he's gone on record that it was a mistake.
    I do like to keep the Appreciation threads on the first page for all Bond actors. Therefore I give you the George Lazenby novelty face mask. £2, but £2.49 plus delivery on Amazon.

You too can look like George.

51eAi9wFE3L.jpg
    Maybe he should have been gift-wrapped.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Aaaaaaaah, I see what you did there!
    NicNac wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »

Aaaaaaaah, I see what you did there!

He he ;)

• In that spirit, here's a scene from this magnificent film to keep this thread on the first page:

NicNac wrote: »
    I do like to keep the Appreciation threads on the first page for all Bond actors. Therefore I give you the George Lazenby novelty face mask. £2, but £2.49 plus delivery on Amazon.

You too can look like George.

51eAi9wFE3L.jpg

Yes!!!!
    In that spirit, here's a scene from this magnificent film to keep this thread on the first page:

Funny how some of the action scenes in the early 70s films played out without music. How much better is the ski chase here with Barry's amazing music driving it along?
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    edited January 2017 Posts: 2,539
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    At the Television Critics Association summer press tour, Hulu's head of content Craig Erwich announced the upcoming Limelight series of non-fiction films covering "subjects who forever shaped pop culture." One of the films will cover George Lazenby's time as Bond. No word on the release date yet.
    Here it is: Becoming Bond http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6110504/
    with Jane Seymour! as "Maggie"?

Australian Josh Lawson is Lazenby:

josh-lawson-4.jpg
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Fascinating! Definitely on my must-see list!
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 67
    There is actually a appreciate thread for Lazenby? Shocking, he was horrendous he almost ruined the movie by himself, it's no wonder nobody has heard of him since 1969...OHMSS was a decent bond i'll give him that, but not in spite of him!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    There is actually a appreciate thread for Lazenby? Shocking, he was horrendous he almost ruined the movie by himself, it's no wonder nobody has heard of him since 1969...OHMSS was a decent bond i'll give him that, but not in spite of him!

Glad to see you understand the meaning of the thread...
  • There is actually a appreciate thread for Lazenby? Shocking, he was horrendous he almost ruined the movie by himself, it's no wonder nobody has heard of him since 1969...OHMSS was a decent bond i'll give him that, but not in spite of him!

Do you always speak gibberish like that? 22k posts, eek someone needs a hobby.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

As a veteran member, I take it as a personal obligation to weed out those who fail to grasp forum rules.
  • There is actually a appreciate thread for Lazenby? Shocking, he was horrendous he almost ruined the movie by himself, it's no wonder nobody has heard of him since 1969...OHMSS was a decent bond i'll give him that, but not in spite of him!

As a veteran member, I take it as a personal obligation to weed out those who fail to grasp forum rules.

rules? could you clarify what i have done wrong here?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

rules? could you clarify what i have done wrong here?

Well it is an appreciation thread. You know, where you appreciate something.
    Lazenby like all the Bond actors have a legion of fans, myself included. Having met the man I found him to be very pleasant and gladly answered questions, I'm sure he's been asked countless times. I find his performance in OHMSS to be fine, and the film benefits from having a new lead. He's a little more human and handles the emotion of the film very well for a first time actor. Especially taking over from Connery. I've no doubt that had he of signed a multi picture contract, he would've been a successful Bond.