Helicopter crash in central London

13»

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Murdock wrote:
    nothing I or the good members of this site say will make you go away.
    One thing is, some of us are not disciplined enough to ignore troll comments. It's very tempting to respond when one has a winning argument- I make this mistake sometimes, but with trolls, a winning argument seems to have no effect. Winding us up is what they feed off. It might be more effective to not respond at all. Not an easy thing for everyone to do when there are many users on the forum. Ideally, if everyone ignored the comments as if they never happened, then, with any luck the troll might get bored and go away.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    QBranch wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    nothing I or the good members of this site say will make you go away.
    One thing is, some of us are not disciplined enough to ignore troll comments. It's very tempting to respond when one has a winning argument- I make this mistake sometimes, but with trolls, a winning argument seems to have no effect. Winding us up is what they feed off. It might be more effective to not respond at all. Not an easy thing for everyone to do when there are many users on the forum. Ideally, if everyone ignored the comments as if they never happened, then, with any luck the troll might get bored and go away.

Wise words, @QBranch! :-)
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    The MI6 article still incorrectly states that the second victim was a passenger. He was a foot pedestrian on his way to work.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    To all our fellow Americans I don't think anyone was particularly blaming this guy on you. A prick is a prick irrelevant of nationality.

There's plenty of Americans on here who make valuable contributions - we don't think you're all obese, religious, gun worshipping warmongers! :))

This thread does raise another issue for me though in the way things are reported by the media and commented on.

Yesterday on the roads of London we had two people run over and killed (police actually suggest they were suicides; but that's not the issue) by HGVs. These both closed the road and caused similar traffic chaos but where is their saturation news coverage and public expression of sadness at their deaths by the Prime Minister? Will be lucky if they get 3 inches in the Standard.

Why does dying in a spectacular fireball make your death a bigger tragedy that Cameron and Boris are clamouring to comment on?

How is a helicopter crash any different to a car crash except it has the variable of gravity thrown into the mix?
    A helicopter crash and the resulting fireball make good pictures. Sad but true.

That and you have the possible "terrorist" angle along with the dramatic testimony from eye-witnesses. All great stuff from a journalism point of view.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    BAIN123 wrote:

That and you have the possible "terrorist" angle along with the dramatic testimony from eye-witnesses. All great stuff from a journalism point of view.

Sadly, this. ^
    edited January 2013 Posts: 9,117
    BAIN123 wrote:

Sadly, this. ^

Correction - 'from a lazy journalism point of view.'

'The key to a great story is not who or what or where but why'. - Elliot Carver.

A much more interesting story is why on the same day two separate people throw themseleves under HGVs in apparent suicides. Much more intruiging than a mundane crash into a crane in fog.

• edited January 2013 Posts: 11,189
    'The key to a great story is not who or what or where but why'. - Elliot Carver.

Ah good point. I suppose now we know the apparent reason the story will fade away quickly (it already seems to have done so to be honest). At least in those first few hours we didn't know why.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited February 2018 Posts: 17,850
    I personally like Americans and have nothing against them, but these comments, to those of us actually from Northern Ireland are highly offensive and stereotypical. It would'nt matter a damn if an Armenian or a member from Timbuctoo made the comments - they're highly disrespectful and just plain wrong; an insult to all IRA victims of their murderous terrorist campaign in Britain and Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. The nationality of this poster is of no relevance, though the fact that @Data_Thief is not from the UK or Ireland is telling indeed.

If this member @Data_Thief remains a member on here I will certainly not be posting on here again. I think the fact he can still get posting away at his brand of dung says a lot about the moderation (or lack thereof) on this site. IP address needs to be blocked as well - making a comeback all but impossible. Problem solved. The moderators on CBn and many of the other James Bond fan sites would have removed this troll back to under his bridge ages ago, yet here he remains, getting away scott free to spring more filth on us all and spout more propaganda.

Sometimes the ostrich appropach of sticking your head is the sand is not the answer - confronting a flimsy set of offensive arguments is, however. There are plenty of impressionable young Bond fans on here who'll believe a poster like @Data_Thief and I don't want people misled on this topic. I think my posts on this thread (about a very sad and tragic event that claimed two lives) have set the record straight. That is the end of the matter as far as I'm concerned. Either he leaves or I do. That is your choice.

So where's your arguments re the IRA now, @Data_Thief - where's your pithy comeback?
    The sound of silence is indeed deafening...
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Dragonpol wrote:
    So where's your arguments re the IRA now, @Data_Thief - where's your pithy comeback?

I think you might be @Data_Thief's ultimate Kryptonite. I hope you don't go @Dragonpol, You bring some excellent discussions on this site. :)
    edited January 2013 Posts: 9,117
    Dragonpol wrote:
    I personally like Americans and have nothing against them, but these comments, to those of us actually from Northern Ireland are highly offensive and stereotypical. It would'nt matter a damn if an Armenian or a member from Timbuctoo made the comments - they're highly disrespectful and just plain wrong; an insult to all IRA victims of their murderous terrorist campaign in Britain and Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. The nationality of this poster is of no relevance, though the fact that @Data_Thief is not from the UK or Ireland is telling indeed.

If this member @Data_Thief remains a member on here I will certainly not be posting on here again. I think the fact he can still get posting away at his brand of dung says a lot about the moderation (or lack thereof) on this site. IP address needs to be blocked as well - making a comeback all but impossible. Problem solved. Tghe moderators on CBn and many of the other James Bond fan sites would have removed this troll back to under his bridge ages ago, yet here he remains, getting away scott free to spring more filth on us all and spout more propaganda.

Sometimes the ostrich appropach of sticking your head is the sand is not the answer - confronting a flimsy set of offensive arguments is, however. There are plenty of impressionable young Bond fans on here who'll believe a poster like @Data_Thief and I don't want people misled on this topic. I think my posts on this thread (about a very sad and tragic event that claimed two lives) have set the record straight. That is the end of the matter as far as I'm concerned. Either he leaves or I do. That is your choice.

Well said Sir but dont let such an insignificant little tosser upset you. Hes not worth getting angry about - the best option is either to ridicule him or ignore him. You note he has been pretty quiet the last few days after being slapped down with logical argument and confronted with some actual facts rather than stuff he found on a blog.

Also I note he has declined to mention the well documented funding of the IRA in the 80s and 90s by coporate America amongst all his conspiracy theories.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited January 2013 Posts: 17,694
    Also I note he has declined to mention the well documented funding of the IRA in the 80s and 90s by coporate America amongst all his conspiracy theories.

I'll never understand fully the mentality of those in my country's government/big business. Say you want to grow food or build bridges and they'll point you at any number of private agencies that *might* help. Say you want to blow up shit & kill people, and they miraculously find millions & millions to throw at you... [-(
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Dragonpol wrote:
    If this member @Data_Thief remains a member on here I will certainly not be posting on here again. I think the fact he can still get posting away at his brand of dung says a lot about the moderation (or lack thereof) on this site. IP address needs to be blocked as well - making a comeback all but impossible. Problem solved. Tghe moderators on CBn and many of the other James Bond fan sites would have removed this troll back to under his bridge ages ago, yet here he remains, getting away scott free to spring more filth on us all and spout more propaganda.

My friend,
    The mods never invite trolls.
    We have noticed things getting out of hand and so the mechanics for removing unwanted elements were swiftly set in motion. It does take some time, though not forever, because we like to talk to each other first. However, things will return to normal soon.
    The best thing to do is to ignore a troll. His comments can easily be deleted afterwards, as if he was never here. Yet the more people quote him or reply to him, the tougher things get for us.

• RC7RC7
    Gotta love a plastic paddy.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

My friend,
    The mods never invite trolls.
    We have noticed things getting out of hand and so the mechanics for removing unwanted elements were swiftly set in motion. It does take some time, though not forever, because we like to talk to each other first. However, things will return to normal soon.
    The best thing to do is to ignore a troll. His comments can easily be deleted afterwards, as if he was never here. Yet the more people quote him or reply to him, the tougher things get for us.

Of course I didn't suggest that you INVITED Sinn Fein/IRA sympathiser @Truth_Thief on here, rather that it seems his removal from here is rather slow in taking effect. However, as I like the mods and this great Bond site so much, I will defer to you and allow due process to take its course. I will endeavor to ignore this irritant @Data_Thief and his hateful spouting of Irish Republican black propaganda - see his further blog post - evidently where he gets his information from! Need I say more... 8-X
    chrisisall wrote:

I'll never understand fully the mentality of those in my country's government/big business. Say you want to grow food or build bridges and they'll point you at any number of private agencies that *might* help. Say you want to blow up shit & kill people, and they miraculously find millions & millions to throw at you... [-(

Yes, this is another point but I think 11 September 2001 fairly woke America up to its slumbering and they unleashed the "War on Terror" - sorry, Gerry, "No Visa!" :o3
    Data_Thief wrote:

Any chance you could formulate your own opinions rather than just pasting links to adolescent conspiracy theories?

I find David Icke quite amusing but youre just f**king tedious.
    Data_Thief wrote:

Any chance you could formulate your own opinions rather than just pasting links to adolescent conspiracy theories?

I find David Icke quite amusing but youre just f**king tedious.

Yes, if he had blogs he'd be dangerous! :))
    Murdock wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

I think you might be @Data_Thief's ultimate Kryptonite. I hope you don't go @Dragonpol, You bring some excellent discussions on this site. :)

Thanks, no I'll definitely "stick around"!
    edited February 2018 Posts: 17,850
    May I just say "thank you" to the moderators for the removal of Data Thief - I'm very glad that you've sent the little blighter packing, and thanks also for the advice on trolls - flag and ignore them and then move on...not bad advice at all!