Was Karl Stromberg under-utilised in The Spy Who Loved Me?

2»

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Stromberg has a great back story in the Christopher Wood novel.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 14,831
    Stromberg has a great back story in the Christopher Wood novel.

Yes I really liked this one. I actually preferred Stromberg in the novelization than the movie.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    One of the best Bond books period.
    I wouldn't go that far but I consider it a Flemingization of a Bond movie. In fact because of its tone I prefer it to the movie.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It's certainly one of the better continuing novels.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Stromberg is my least favorite villain of the Moore era, and probably one of my least favorite in the entire series. A fairly bland character.
    Agreed. The guy has a cool, threatening voice and that's it.

Jurgens himself complained all he gets to do is push buttons in the film. Let's be honest, it's all about Jaws. It's his influence that hangs over the villainy of TSWLM.

One interesting note, Stromberg is the first main industrialist villain in the series, whereas an Osato was an underling to Blofeld and SPECTRE.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Goldfinger?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Would we have been happy if Stromberg had actually been named Blofeld as was intended?

I don't think Jurgens does much wrong and is as effective a villain as Gray so I would've been fine with it.

Although would they have addressed the Tracy angle especially given the earlier mention by Anya in the bar? Most likely they'd have just cut the line and carried on without a mention like DAF.
    It would have certainly fitted nicely had he been Blofeld and in many ways he was merely a Blofeld in disguise. Jurgen had the right voice for him and he certainly had the right appearance to play a Bond villain, whatever his name.

In any case, had the villain in TSWLM been as Burgess imagined him "a gross Orson Welles in a wheelchair", there would have been a reason to be merely pushing buttons... and Blofeld in a wheelchair would have made even more sense.