Brosnan pre-title sequences

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The PTS during the Brosnan years were something fierce. The intro of DAD is really growing on me and it's such a shame Purvis and Wade dropped the ball concerning the rest of the film... Anyway, all of the Broz's intros were great, but I think I like GE the least because it's full of gaffs and the "stunt" at the end is appallingly stupid.

PS- Hooray for my 100th post!

Congratulations! However, I think something "appallingly stupid," based off of the motorcycle-to-airplane transfer stunt, in your own words, could be found in all of the Brosnan PTS's:

TND - Bond facing around 100 men armed to the teeth in a missiles arms bazaar, and succeeding. Surely, someone would have bested him.
    TWINE - Bond's weight < the force that table leg could sustain. The curtain cord would have ripped and dropped Bond to his (possible) death before that entire leg would have ripped off.
    DAD - How did the diamonds not harm Bond? And how did he grab the bell and fly up without hitting the rest of the hovercraft?

The stunt is insane in GE, but it's so entertaining to watch. You know it isn't possible, just like almost every situation Bond manages to overcome, but that's why they're great to watch.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Oh yeah, and like all the stuff in Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy was so much more believable....

uhhh... :P
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    Ya no way, I will always contend that the GE plane stunt is the nadir of the series. Not until CGI parasurfing do we get a moment this stupid. Bond had done amazing things before, even implausible, but he never broke the laws of physics until the PTS of GE
    Bond had done amazing things before, even implausible, but he never broke the laws of physics until the PTS of GE

Laws are made to be broken.
    Okay, maybe not that much, though. :O
    Why does the plane explode when the co pilot crashes through it. Is he carrying a bomb?
    Matt007 wrote:
    Why does the plane explode when the co pilot crashes through it. Is he carrying a bomb?

No, because it's a 90's action movie. The only explanation.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 3,494
    You would have to be a mental midget of the highest order to buy into these 3 PTS sequences, because Bond movies should always be grounded in reality and if you don't understand these points, you don't understand the philosophy of the series.

Yep, I buy into a PTS that doesn't completely show the bad guy losing his grip on a cord so I'm an idiot. I think you're clutching at straws with that one.

And what's wrong with DADs? There are lots of bullets flying round, and? CR had the embassy scene where Bond isn't hit at all and his human shield is only hit once, in YOLT and TSWLM, there's a big battle going on around him but nobody ever hits Bond, in GE he's not hit once in the archives, etc.

After hearing Chris' explanation, maybe I am a little with the TND one. I'm always OK with
    someone presenting a POV I hadn't considered, I'm not a communist after all.

What separates Brosnan's flying bullets from others is in the way the scene is presented. The bad guys always seem to look especially incompetent in their aim compared to the other examples you've presented, and I can more rationally defend those.
    Ya no way, I will always contend that the GE plane stunt is the nadir of the series. Not until CGI parasurfing do we get a moment this stupid. Bond had done amazing things before, even implausible, but he never broke the laws of physics until the PTS of GE

This is my biggest beef and exactly where my mental midget statement comes from. You simply cannot call the GE PTS "great" taking this into consideration, and expect for someone not to challenge the statement as idiocy.

The laser sound effects in Moonraker break the laws of physics.
    You simply cannot call the GE PTS "great" taking this into consideration, and expect for someone not to challenge the statement as idiocy.
    Seeing Bond soaring to the plane's door reminded me of Kirk falling & Spock catching him in Star Trek V..... both scenes have the same effect on me. *shudders*
    Matt007 wrote:
    The laser sound effects in Moonraker break the laws of physics.
    Not nearly the largest transgression in that one IMO.

edited January 2013 Posts: 40,459
    The best pre-title sequence of the entire franchise was The World Is Not Enough - fact

While I absolutely love the PTS for TWINE - this is merely opinion. In my opinion, my favorite PTS of Brosnan's - and the series - is GE. Sure, the motorcycle-to-airplane transfer doesn't make sense, but there are many things in the Bond universe that make no sense. We should just try to enjoy them for what they are.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    The best pre-title sequence of the entire franchise was The World Is Not Enough - fact

While I absolutely love the PTS for TWINE - this is merely opinion. In my opinion, my favorite PTS of Brosnan's - and the series - is GE. Sure, the motorcycle-to-airplane transfer doesn't make sense, but there are many things in the Bond universe that make no sense. We should just try to enjoy them for what they are.

Exactly like in The Living Daylights with the plane crashing into the truck and Koskov seemingly still alive didnt make any sense
    @002, or Bond jumping on the invisible komodo dragons in SF, or the police officers miraculously escaping that absolutely demolished police car in the tank chase scene in GE - commentary stated that they wanted that little bit added to show that Bond didn't brutally massacre a couple of police officers - and, of course, Bond's parasailing scene in DAD.
    Brozza's PTSs are mainly dire. GE was the worst for me. The awful plane stunt set the standard for Brozz. Things improved quite significantly with TND though. The PTS has a sense of danger and tension that his films usually lacked. TWINE is a bit like the SF PTS for me - too long and without any actual cleverness - just wham bam action. Less said about the tedious machine gun orgy in DUD the better.
  • Bond should of spent more time in Bilbao during The World Is Not Enough. All we got was a couple of exterior shots of the Guggenheim building, and it all seemed a bit of a waste. There was a chance there to really do something but the city was only breifly featured, but I wouldn't have swapped a pre credits sequence on the Thames in London for anything else, but they could of fitted more of Bilbao further into the film ?

Once again, the pre credits sequence of both Tomorrow Never Dies and Die Another Day could well be both movies best features. The hovercrafts chase in North Korea is very well done, but after that - and the awful Ciccone song - it's downhill all the way

Never been one for the Goldeneye opening, for any and all reasons previously stated. A fairly insipid Turner song didn't help either. Sheryl Crow had the best theme intro of all the Brosnan releases without question
    Sheryl Crow had the best theme intro of all the Brosnan releases without question

However KD Lang's song in the end credits was better IMO, and its themes run through TND anyway.
    1. GE
    2, TWINE
    3. TND
    4. DAD

Honestly, I really liked all of Brosnan's pre-title sequences.
  • GE's pts is one of the best in the series. The others typify the other three films, rather mundane, for me.
  • I think all of the PTS in the Brosnan era are pretty great.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    Oh, I just realized I misread the thread and had written about Title Sequences. Sorry.

It's all good. DAD does have some incredible opening titles.

• ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Oh, I just realized I misread the thread and had written about Title Sequences. Sorry.

I almost wrote about the title sequences too.

For the PTS's, eh. They're good, but they sort of feel like generic action? I don't know, I can't seem to criticize them without making some sort of weak complaint. The TWINE PTS was way too long, though, that's for sure.

• Everyone hear seems to be bashing the GE PTS for its plane jump but come ooooooooon. Yes, the plane jump is going to far, but that is one scratch on an otherwise flawless gem... Did you forget such gold as the technically amazing dam jump and the classic reintroduction to a character previously absent from cinema for six years? It had great introductions to Ourumov and 006 as well, and great action.

TWINE is one of the best as well... Admittedly, it goes on too long, but that boat chase was riveting... far better than SP's watered-down counterpart! Cigar girl is great - there's an underappreciated pun here in 'I'm sure they're perfectly rounded' - and so is everything in Bilbao.

The other two PTS's in Brosnan's tenure though... Hmmmmmm...

TND's is basically just mindless action. Mindless action is usually fun action when done right, but this is one of the few parts in TND I can't get that giddy feeling for somehow. It just seems particularly dumb, though I appreciate how Bond's appearance is held off for a while - but for a hypocritical 'filthy habit' gag?

DAD's is even worse in that regard though. It just thinks 'well, we need more, MORE, MORE!' and suffers because of that. Just lots of fire, and guns, and hovercrafts and bullets and no style. Surfing was bizarre as well and goes on too long in a very dreary setting.

So basically, half of them are good, half of them are... not so good...

I think the actor who saw the best overall PTSs is Craig though, he only had one clunker (QOS) out of four movies.
    My problem with the PTS of Brosnan's films, with the possible exception of GE is that they're so generic and samey. I mean come on the hovercraft chase is basically what we got in TWINE but with hovercrafts. I wish they could be more inventive and imagintive with PTS in the Bonds. It's got to the point where they just do an action set piece. Why not mix it up and not do an action set piece but do something more intriguing, like FRWL for instance.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The Bilbao bank scene was cool, the rest mostly garbage.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 1,595
    The Bilbao bank scene was cool, the rest mostly garbage.

We get it. You hate the Brozza.

Yeah, they are all pretty samey, but they're all really well executed. Thrill rides etc.

Favorite PTS is still GF because it's just perfection.
  • @Birdleson Well said. I prefer that as well, but I do like the Brozza PTS'
  • GBFGBF
    Birdleson wrote: »

Absolutely. Therefore I must admit that I have never been a big fan of all the Brosnan PTS. Still the GE PTS is my favourite of his, second is probably TWINE even though it is too long. They probably should have cancled the whole Bilbao part or just used this one in an extended version and made the Thames chase after the title sequnece. Third is probably TND, even though it was very genaric explosive action. And finally it's DAD. I never understood why people liked it so very much.

• @Birdleson

I'm not really sure how having Bond command a small army during a fight absolves those sequences. I'd say that they are comparatively more boring. The big firefights in YOLT and TSWLM fit the description of lots of 'faceless goons getting killed and lots of explosions' as well as, if not more than most Brosnan era stuff.
  • Fair enough and I now understand where you're coming from. And I don't necessarily think those battles are boring, even, they just lack a sort of unique thrill somehow. But it is all opinion.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    They're certainly much better battles than the finale of TND or Bond gunning down the thugs in SP after escaping from the torture. In the modern films, I don't expect to see those classic styles of fights, but we should at least avoid the generic, aimless machine-gunning that we got in TND.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 1,817
    I must be on the only person on this forum who thinks that the 'generic, aimless machine-gunning that we got in TND' was not only appropriate, but was thrilling, dramatic and probably one of the better parts of the film.