SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

I liked the "overdue holiday" line myself. No bad pun, simply a cocky remark.
  • RC7RC7
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I liked the "overdue holiday" line myself. No bad pun, simply a cocky remark.

It's by no means as bad as the 'deep water' quip, but in the context of the trailer it's used as a topper before they cut to the MGM logo, you'd expect it to be a little better. In these 'reaction videos' that people seem to hold so dear, it's hardly brought the house down. I expect DC Bond to react in a manner that suggests 'M' should be begrudgingly grateful for his actions. As it is, It smacks of a RM line to me.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    'SPECTRE trailer: 007 gets generic, formulaic tease' Forbes obviously isn't impressed :))
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Formulaic tease? Lol, people are complaining that the teaser wasn't formulaic enough.
    It's what you get when you're fan of a big franchise:

The bigger the franchise, the more people dislike it. But also, on average, that number of people disliking it compared to those liking it is still very small.
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    'SPECTRE trailer: 007 gets generic, formulaic tease' Forbes obviously isn't impressed :))

To be honest, while I loved every second of the trailer (well, apart from the 'overdue holiday' line), I asked a few friends what they thought of it and they ALL said pretty much the same: "nothing special, looked no different than any other Bond movie".

Be interesting to see if that feeling prevails and whether it translates in MORE people going to see it (because it looks like what they've want out of a Bond movie) or LESS because it looks all too familiar. Difficult balancing act for EON that one.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    My one friend (who doesn't really follow the Bond films, but he's enjoyed the last few) said that the girls in this (Seydoux and Bellucci) aren't great actresses and they look like they'll be sidelined by Fiennes, Whishaw, and Craig. Also, he's an idiot.

To be honest, while I loved every second of the trailer (well, apart from the 'overdue holiday' line), I asked a few friends what they thought of it and they ALL said pretty much the same: "nothing special, looked no different than any other Bond movie".

Be interesting to see if that feeling prevails and whether it translates in MORE people going to see it (because it looks like what they've want out of a Bond movie) or LESS because it looks all too familiar. Difficult balancing act for EON that one.

Again, the Bond franchise is no insanely big. And for that matter the Bond fan community is insanely big. And also generic Bond audiences who occassionally watch a Bond film...is big.

If that's the case, you simply can't please every single person :-). There are ones who love the gritty films. There are ones who love the comedic elements of Bond. There are people who complain Bond is not "Bond" enough. And there are people who say...."it's just another typical Bond film".

You can't please every single person ;-). Everyone has an opinion. It's logical.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    My one friend (who doesn't really follow the Bond films, but he's enjoyed the last few) said that the girls in this (Seydoux and Bellucci) aren't great actresses and they look like they'll be sidelined by Fiennes, Whishaw, and Craig. Also, he's an idiot.

I agree with this he does sound like an idiot.
  • RC7RC7
    Risico007 wrote: »

I agree with this he does sound like an idiot.

Me too. Jury is out if Whishaw for SP, but Fiennes is a powerhouse. As for Seydoux and Bellucci they look great! Best Bond duo since Green and Murino and before that Scorupco and Janssen.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited July 2015 Posts: 4,043
    Lets just have bloody miserable film where Bond isn't allowed to say anything amusing.

It's a good job none of you have any input into these films is all I can say, some of you will never be satisfied, I'm sorry didn't read it has wooden at all.

I thought the holiday line was quite amusing!
  • RC7RC7
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Lets just have bloody miserable film where Bond isn't allowed to say anything amusing.

It's a good job none of you have any input into these films is all I can say, some of you will never be satisfied, I'm sorry didn't read it has wooden at all.

Actually, a lot of people on here know what works for Craig and what doesn't regard wit. EON have a difficult task, because they have to appeal to the idiotic masses who will just think, 'dat man said da funny'.
    What advice would the late Ian Fleming now give :-)? :-?
  • I thought the "over due Holiday" line was well delivered. The only line in the trailer I didn't like was the delivery by Mr White of "he's everywhere". Hopefully for the finished film they will use a different take.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I think Craig has one of the best one-liners of the series, perfectly delivered. He obviously knows about comic timing he just isn't quite as adept as Moore/Connery.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Actually, he's right about Bellucci. Every single italian man who's seen the trailer complained about her acting (though I admit she acts better in english thsn in her mother tongue).
  • RC7RC7
    I think Craig has one of the best one-liners of the series, perfectly delivered. He obviously knows about comic timing he just isn't quite as adept as Moore/Connery.

Which one-liner is that?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Walecs, even so, you can't say she's a bad actress based off of one trailer like he did. I doubt he's ever seen her in anything where she truly shines and shows off her skills.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Shardlake wrote: »

I'm with you there.
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    RC7 wrote: »
    Bounine wrote: »
    If he utters one line clankers following someone's death or something like that, then this will hinder my enjoyment of the film considerably.

I wouldn't want that either. They tempered the humour well in CR. SF went too far imo, I'm hoping they rein it in again with SP.

I hope so too.
    edited July 2015 Posts: 11,139
    Walecs wrote: »
    Actually, he's right about Bellucci. Every single italian man who's seen the trailer complained about her acting (though I admit she acts better in english thsn in her mother tongue).

What acting? All we've seen of her is her just standing there, getting unzipped and bracing herself to get pumped full of lead. Honestly, we've seen nothing to warrant an assessment that her acting is bad. Those Italian dudes are just butt hurt because she married a French dude.
  • I thought the "over due Holiday" line was well delivered. The only line in the trailer I didn't like was the delivery by Mr White of "he's everywhere". Hopefully for the finished film they will use a different take.

I think White's line will play very well in context as he's forced to talk about this other new organization that Bond has stumbled upon. As somebody else on the forum mentioned (sorry, I've read like several hundred posts in the past couple days!), in QoS White is saying 'We're everywhere' in a menacing tone, whereas here he's the one who sounds threatened. Thus his delivery of that line, which works for both the fans who remember him from the beginning of the DC era and for newbs who are accustomed to 'omniscient' villains in other series haha.
  • chipstickschipsticks NOT on TheDanielCraigForum where they think know Daniel Craig personally and Léa and Monica are ugly
    doubleoego wrote: »

What acting? All we've seen of her is her just standing there, getting unzipped and bracing herself to get pumped full of lead. Honestly, we've seen nothing to warrant an assessment that her acting is bad. Those Italian dudes are just butt hurt because she married a French dude.

was married to a French dude

RC7 wrote: »
    If he utters one line clankers following someone's death or something like that, then this will hinder my enjoyment of the film considerably.

I wouldn't want that either. They tempered the humour well in CR. SF went too far imo, I'm hoping they rein it in again with SP.

I think its a hard thing to get right when done well in all Bonds its fantastic, when its done wrong its cringy.

Two of my favorites old and new

Diamonds

James is being served Sherry early into the film, Sherry is a blended dessert wine, high alcohol and sweet. He says to M, "Pity about your liver sir, it's an unusually fine solera. '51 I believe."

M replies, "There is no year for sherry, 007."

Not to be topped, James says, "I was referring to the original vintage on which the sherry is based. 1851. Unless I'm mistaken?"

I enjoyed the boyful playfulness. Bond being a smart a*rse in front of M, and M chopping him down. It represented everything about their relationship.

Skyfall

James Bond: I read your obituary of me.

M: And?

James Bond: Appalling.

M: Yeah, I knew you'd hate it. I did call you "an exemplar of British fortitude".

James Bond: That bit was all right.

The above dialogue is good. I thought of Diamonds Are Forever when I made my previous post. I think that "overdue holiday" line is just lame though. It's also cheesy, cliched and lame when Waltz says "what kept you?" Bad ("...and here we are" is much better). Another cheesy line I don't like, but it's not as bad as the other two, is when one of the Bond girls, I suppose Swann, says: "...you're crossing over to a place where there is no mercy". Everything else sounds good though. I wonder if Mendes intentionally chose many of the humorous lines for this second trailer or maybe this is wishful thinking on my part. :)
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 2,598
    Sark wrote: »
    Am I the only who thought the line "I wasb taking some overdue holiday" was out of place? The trailer is set up seriously and Bond makes a very unprofessional comment, which isn't delivered by Craig all that well. Hope they cut that out of the final cut.
    Assuming that bit with M wasn't deceptively edited then I agree in not liking that line very much.

"Am I the only who thought the line "I wasb taking some overdue holiday" was out of place? The trailer is set up seriously and Bond makes a very unprofessional comment, which isn't delivered by Craig all that well. Hope they cut that out of the final cut."

@dominicgreene

I very much agree. It's childish and unprofessional and doesn't sit right. Sounds like Purvis and Wade. Even Moore didn't do this with M. The DAF and SF banter between M and Bond mentioned above are not the same examples as the "overdue holiday" line.

Am I the only who thought the line "I wasb taking some overdue holiday" was out of place? The trailer is set up seriously and Bond makes a very unprofessional comment, which isn't delivered by Craig all that well. Hope they cut that out of the final cut.
    Assuming that bit with M wasn't deceptively edited then I agree in not liking that line very much.

@dominicgreene

"Am I the only who thought the line "I wasb taking some overdue holiday" was out of place? The trailer is set up seriously and Bond makes a very unprofessional comment, which isn't delivered by Craig all that well. Hope they cut that out of the final cut."

I very much agree. It's childish and unprofessional and doesn't sit right. Sounds like Purvis and Wade. Even Moore didn't do this with M. The DAF and SF banter between M and Bond mentioned above are not the same examples as the "overdue holiday" line.

Well, I very much disagree. See my post on page 709 :-). Just look at the trailer reactions. Most people started laughing when he uttered that line.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I thought the "over due Holiday" line was well delivered. The only line in the trailer I didn't like was the delivery by Mr White of "he's everywhere". Hopefully for the finished film they will use a different take.

I totally agree... Great line and great delivery from Craig. White lost brownie points and sounds more like the crazy old man up the street.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 2,598

@dominicgreene

Well, I very much disagree. See my post on page 709 :-). Just look at the trailer reactions. Most people started laughing when he uttered that line.

I don't even think it's funny. Still, with Bond films you can't expect there not to be the odd lame one liner as that would be hoping for way too much. One just has to try and overlook these things.

What I find weird is that the Aston has gadgets yet Q said to Bond in Skyfall that they don't go in for things like exploding pens anymore.

chipsticks wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »

was married to a French dude

I know which is why I left out the words, is and to ;)