SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

Getafix wrote:
    pachazo wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    I want to see M return as a reassuring and competent presence at the head of MI6. And I want to see the return of real trust between M and his top agent. No more following him around the world or ordering him to be shot mid-mission. Let the man do his bloody job!
    That would be absolutely fantastic. Hopefully we saw a preview of this when Mallory let Bond take M to Skyfall manor and trusted him to get the job done.

Yes. Although... there is a difference between letting Bond do his job and encouraging him to act in a completely unbelievable and reckless fashion.

They have to walk the line between depicting M as someone who is fundamentally a strict professional, but who recognises that rules sometimes need to be bent, and someone who is borderline incompetent (as Dench was so often portrayed).

Having Mallory allow Bond to take M off to almost certain death in SF was (IMO) an example of failing to walk the line. Mallory, Bond, Q, Tanner, all looked like hopeless incompetents, well out of their depth.

But I digress...

Essentially, we agree that we are all sick of the trust issues and just want to see a return to a more mutually respectful and professional relationship between Bond and M. At least, I think that's what most of us agree on.

Yes, you do. All too frequently.

Ludovico wrote:
    @Suivez-I will not get in a debate with you about how Dench's M was competent or not, it is the same tired old song that got this thread locked in the first place.

Regarding the new M, he was depicted as perfectly capable if unorthodox and I expect to see him to continue like this.

Agreed.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Getafix wrote:
    What do you think the chances are of a further delay in the production timeline?

Filming has aimed to start in October since last year and as of this month, that is still the case. I don't see anything changing that, bar unforeseen circumstances.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    What do you think the chances are of a further delay in the production timeline?

Filming has aimed to start in October since last year and as of this month, that is still the case. I don't see anything changing that, bar unforeseen circumstances.

I am planning on suing MGM.
    I think this summer we will have quite a few bond news and rumors with filming beginning in October one must assume location rumors.. and New should be popping up
    Ludovico wrote:
    @Suivez-I will not get in a debate with you about how Dench's M was competent or not, it is the same tired old song that got this thread locked in the first place.

Regarding the new M, he was depicted as perfectly capable if unorthodox and I expect to see him to continue like this.

Agreed.

thinking about it, I.might start a thread about the new M. I find Malory admirable. He could have played the political game and buried M in order to get her job. Instead he refuses to let her grill and openly challenges a governmental official. He also does not stop Bond, Tanner and Q to carry on an unsanctioned operation.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Agreed.

thinking about it, I.might start a thread about the new M. I find Malory admirable. He could have played the political game and buried M in order to get her job. Instead he refuses to let her grill and openly challenges a governmental official. He also does not stop Bond, Tanner and Q to carry on an unsanctioned operation.

This aspect was just a bit unbelievable to me. Given the context (i.e. a massive balls up by MI6) it seemed utterly implausible that any one in MI6 would be encouraging unsanctioned ops on the side.

Any way....

The temptation to talk SF is just too great, especially when every other post is refering to it.

How about we talk theme songs. Any one up for more Adele?
    Getafix wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Agreed.

This aspect was just a bit unbelievable to me. Given the context (i.e. a massive balls up by MI6) it seemed utterly implausible that any one in MI6 would be encouraging unsanctioned ops on the side.

Any way....

The temptation to talk SF is just too great, especially when every other post is refering to it.

Not next time round. Maybe in a few films time ala Bassey but I'd like a different artist to since the next theme.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 11,425
    If there is one thing I could insist on for B24, it would be that whoever performs the title song MUST collaborate closely with the composer of the film score.

It should be a given for EVERY Bond movie. Without that key connection the music always lacks something.

A real shame Newman was not able to integrate Adele's tune more into SF...

Woops! There I go again...

May be we have to accept that's it difficult to discuss B24 at this stage without also referencing SF. .
    Getafix wrote:
    If there is one thing I could insist on for B24, it would be that whoever performs the title song MUST collaborate closely with the composer of the film score.

It should be a given for EVERY Bond movie. Without that key connection the music always lacks something.

A real shame Newman was not able to integrate Adele's tune more into SF...

Woops! There I go again...

Now those are certainly my feelings too.
    Getafix wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Agreed.

Any way....

you might question the logic of it but nevertheless it gives a sense of his character and what kind of M he will be: more military than bureaucrat and unorthodox.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 11,425
    Ludovico wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Agreed.

Any way....

you might question the logic of it but nevertheless it gives a sense of his character and what kind of M he will be: more military than bureaucrat and unorthodox.

I get where you're coming from and I agree with the intention behind what they were doing. Just think it could have been done better - plausibility AND character development through action. I am just a stickler for plausible character motivation and action.

I know it's unlikely to happen and some fans seem to hate him, but wouldn't Hans Zimmer be interesting for Bond? He seems so adaptable and (IMO). I was really impressed by the score for 12 Years a Slave and had no idea who'd done it and then it turned out to be Hans. I would love to see him given a crack of the whip, perhaps with Florence Welch or that girl from London Grammar doing the title track.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited May 2014 Posts: 16,337
    Zimmer was good in the 80's and 90's. (Black Rain being an excellent soundtrack.) But he isn't Bond material.

Also, with the success of Skyfall, is there any information on if B24 will have a larger budget this time around?
    Murdock wrote:
    Zimmer was good in the 80's and 90's. (Black Rain being an excellent soundtrack.) But he isn't Bond material.

Sometimes you shine, @Murderock. I really loved Zimmer back then, he had some excellent collaborations with Lisa Gerard from Dead Can Dance before as well. He has become a bit repetitive as of late.
    What his music lacks to day. (Well at least with action music.) is a solid theme. Looped beats and occasional horn Blasts aren't enough. You've got to have dramatic progression. It's like he doesn't try. Action theme? Oh let me load up one of my action templates and change the notes a bit to be "New".
    Murdock wrote:
    What his music lacks to day. (Well at least with action music.) is a solid theme. Looped beats and occasional horn Blasts aren't enough. You've got to have dramatic progression. It's like he doesn't try. Action theme? Oh let me load up one of my action templates and change the notes a bit to be "New".

He is good for those generic trailers that are scored similarly 11 times out of 10. But come on, Hans! Make me zimmer again like you used to.
    He is good for those generic trailers that are scored similarly 11 times out of 10. But come on, Hans! Make me zimmer again like you used to.

Well...as a rookie composer myself why don't you check out my music. Maybe there's something you can enjoy. :)

But back to the topic. Anything on the budget?
    Murdock wrote:

Also, with the success of Skyfall, is there any information on if B24 will have a larger budget this time around?

Yes, Zimmer is a bit... old now. I loved his score of Batman, which I guess was not done so long ago, but I associate him with it, the way I associate Howard Shore with LOTR.
    Murdock, will definitily check it out come June,I still have a package deal from my internet provider and at the end of the month it takes hours to download that.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Ludovico wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Yes, Zimmer is a bit... old now. I loved his score of Batman, which I guess was not done so long ago, but I associate him with it, the way I associate Howard Shore with LOTR.
    I'm excited to see how Zimmer will handle scoring a new Batman theme for Dawn of Justice.
    Getafix wrote:

I don't believe their will be any further delays. With production due to begin in October of this year, and a release date locked in for next year. Unless their is an unmitigated disaster ahead? I think everything will be just fine. :-\"
    Let's hope Mendes has it under control...

Re Zimmer, I did not even know he'd been around that long. I thought the 12 Years a Slave score was actually rather brilliant. Very disturbing. Slightly reminiscent of the Shining in places.

@Murdock, if you think Zimmer lacks strong themes, what did you make of Newman on SF?
    @Getafix, Newman's score is a mixed bag for me. It has some good and some generic. I think all the music for the PTS was great, especially during the bike chase. It just screamed Bond is Back. Severine's theme and Close Shave are also really good themes too. But there are some tracks that sound like they belong in other movies. "Health and Safety" sounds like it was taken from Wall-E. "Jellyfish" At first sounds like Hans Zimmer took over then the Part where Bond is sneaking in the glass room it's good. I don't like New Digs ether. It's half and half.
    I've always been an advocate for Zimmer doing Bond. In fact, play these two videos at the same time and see.

Getafix wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Agreed.

Any way....

I get where you're coming from and I agree with the intention behind what they were doing. Just think it could have been done better - plausibility AND character development through action. I am just a stickler for plausible character motivation and action.

I know it's unlikely to happen and some fans seem to hate him, but wouldn't Hans Zimmer be interesting for Bond? He seems so adaptable and (IMO). I was really impressed by the score for 12 Years a Slave and had no idea who'd done it and then it turned out to be Hans. I would love to see him given a crack of the whip, perhaps with Florence Welch or that girl from London Grammar doing the title track.

Well, we can argue about this particular scene in SF until the cows come home, nevertheless whatever they do to M I think will continue in the way the character was established in SF. I wonder how they will play the outsider aspect.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 3,169
    Murdock wrote:
    Zimmer was good in the 80's and 90's.

Huh? I actually think some of his best work are in this century. Gladiator, Da Vinci Code, Batman trilogy, Kingdom of Heaven to name a few.

On top of my wish list for B24, is that they bring back Arnold, although it's unlikely if Mendes has a saying. I find the score for SF boring and forgettable. If Newman wanted to copy Zimmer anyways, why not bring in the real thing?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Zekidk wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Zimmer was good in the 80's and 90's.

Huh? I actually think some of his work are in this century. Gladiator, Da Vinci Code, Batman trilogy, Kingdom of Heaven to name a few.

On top of my wish list for B24, is that they bring back Arnold, although it's unlikely if Mendes has a saying. I find the score for SF boring and forgettable.

And Zimmer's work with John Powell on the Kung Fu Panda films is breathtaking.

• edited May 2014 Posts: 3,169
    His latest scores show him in fine form.

I would probably say he is currently one of the best composers out there.
    Zekidk wrote:
    His latest scores show him in fine form.

I would take Williams' theme over Zimmer's all day long.

It would have probably improved Man Of Steel ten fold.

I would take Williams' theme over Zimmer's all day long.
    It would have probably improved Man Of Steel ten fold.

Not very modern, though, eh? Besides Williams is way past his prime.

Insert this into almost any Bond action setpiece and it'll probably work: