George Lazenby vs Pierce Brosnan

Comments

• Can't say I didn't see this coming. Not much Brosnan love on this site at all.

Anyway people saying OHMSS is the best out of the 5 films and fair enough, but this is about the actors.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I think a Moore vs. Lazenby thread would be a bit more interesting given that Moore gets more love on here. Moore's charm and wit vs. Lazenby's brute strength.

If Brosnan comes up against anything on here it seems he is always the loser.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It may come as a shock, but...Pierce Brosnan.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 546
    Let me just say that I enjoyed George Lazanby as 007. I wish Albert Broccoli would have taken his time with him, because he could have came back to reprise his role as James Bond in Diamonds Are Forever. (George didn't have any acting experience at the time. He was a model) However! Pierce Bronsan was the better James Bond! Pierce had that charisma with blend of swag like Sean Connery & charm like Sir Roger Moore. And no Pierce Bronsan is not overrated!
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 295
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I think a Moore vs. Lazenby thread would be a bit more interesting given that Moore gets more love on here.

I think the most natural one involving Lazenby would be Lazenby vs. Dalton as both of them have more in common with each other (dark horse Bonds, tenures cut short, more human, more down to earth portrayals, not quite accepted by the public etc.) than any of the other Bonds.

Hmm... Tough choice. On one hand we have a pig who lied through his teeth to get the job, spent all his time copulating with anything that had two legs, and wanted the fame and money instead of the honor of being in the role of the iconic character. On the flipside, we have a nice chap who loved the role since boyhood, took the role with honor, and had the best time of his life, even surprised to find out that he wasn't Bond anymore. Though he had every right to be angry at EON, he was a part of the 50th anniversary in spades and shows no animosity for the role he feels cherished to have gotten. So, Pierce.
    Who cares what Lazenby did in his private life, he could have copulated with anything with four or five legs. What matters is OHMSS is one of the best Bond movies, and Lazenby was a pretty good Bond considering he wasn't really an actor.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I think a Moore vs. Lazenby thread would be a bit more interesting given that Moore gets more love on here.

I think the most natural one involving Lazenby would be Lazenby vs. Dalton as both of them have more in common with each other (dark horse Bonds, tenures cut short, more human, more down to earth portrayals, not quite accepted by the public etc.) than any of the other Bonds.

True. I just noticed that both Moore and Lazenby seem to be more polarising amongst people. Moore may have been popular but it seems that these days his Bond divides opinion - like Lazenby.

But I agree that Laz vs. Dalton is an obvious one.
  • maxcraig wrote:
    What matters is OHMSS is one of the best Bond movies

Actually that doesn't matter right now. We're talking about who was the better Bond, not who had the better films.

Again, I liked Lazenby, he was decent enough but he was helped maybe more than any other Bond by the things around him. Say he didn't do OHMSS and only did, let's say DAF, I don't think he'd be getting as many votes now.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I quite enjoyed the enthusiasm and charm Pierce brought to the role. One of my favourite exchanges in the whole series- "Talk here; listen here..." "So that's what I've been doing wrong all these years." OHMSS is clearly a superiour film to any of Brosnan's, but as pointed out, this is about the actors. I like Lazenby a lot, but Brosnan is the clear choice here. Sadly, the clear choice seems to be a bit murky for so many... :))
    maxcraig wrote:

Actually that doesn't matter right now. We're talking about who was the better Bond, not who had the better films.

Again, I liked Lazenby, he was decent enough but he was helped maybe more than any other Bond by the things around him. Say he didn't do OHMSS and only did, let's say DAF, I don't think he'd be getting as many votes now.
    You forgot to quote the rest of my sentence where I said Lazenby was a pretty good actor and Bond considering he wasn't really an actor unlike Pierce who got 4 chances to better his role but he failed.
    So Lazenby wins.
    This competition is a total joke; there is only one true choice here, and that is obviously Pierce Brosnan. He blows Lazenby away without any effort at all.
  • maxcraig wrote:
    maxcraig wrote:

You forgot to quote the rest of my sentence where I said Lazenby was a pretty good actor and Bond considering he wasn't really an actor unlike Pierce who got 4 chances to better his role but he failed.
    So Lazenby wins.

No I read that, I just didn't include it because that's not what I was talking about.
  • 00Beast wrote:
    Pierce Brosnan. He blows Lazenby

I'm sure he would have loved to.

00Beast wrote:

Very funny. I knew some perverted mind would find a way to alter my original statement.
    00Beast wrote:
    There goes our PG rating... :|
    JamesBond wrote:

I've got to vote PB. because, PB's protrayal of Bond, for me, was considerably more manly than lazenbys. as well, although we did have that terribly overblown "painface" (perhaps my biggest problem with broz) we never ever saw him pussy out and cry. beleive me, i know full well that Bond had just lost the only woman he ever truly loved, so he had good reason to loose emotional controll, but to cry, that is just disgusting, it is thoroughly unmanly and completely unnacceptable, as absolutly GODAWFULL as "legends" is (its unplayable), the ending to its version of OHMSS is far more acceptable to me in my opinion, as Bond, although he shows complete and total emotional devestation (within the best of IDtechIII's abilities) he doesnt wuss out and cry,. im sorry, but as soon as i see a man cry, i literally have to swallow down an insatiable urge to smack him across the face and tell him to grow..the...HELL.. up.

Lazenby never cried in OHMSS......you pathetic wimp of a boy!!! :-@
    JamesBond wrote:

I've got to vote PB. because, PB's protrayal of Bond, for me, was considerably more manly than lazenbys. as well, although we did have that terribly overblown "painface" (perhaps my biggest problem with broz) we never ever saw him pussy out and cry. beleive me, i know full well that Bond had just lost the only woman he ever truly loved, so he had good reason to loose emotional controll, but to cry, that is just disgusting, it is thoroughly unmanly and completely unnacceptable, as absolutly GODAWFULL as "legends" is (its unplayable), the ending to its version of OHMSS is far more acceptable to me in my opinion, as Bond, although he shows complete and total emotional devestation (within the best of IDtechIII's abilities) he doesnt wuss out and cry,. im sorry, but as soon as i see a man cry, i literally have to swallow down an insatiable urge to smack him across the face and tell him to grow..the...HELL.. up.

He did bury his head in Diana Rigg at the end and make audible sobbing noises so that suggests he did cry. Even so...seeing your wife murdered in front of you gives a person good reason to cry in my book.

Craig though has been the only Bond thus far to show tears.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 669
    @jetsetsilly, excuse me! you must have been watching a different OHMSS to me,. he bawls like a freaking baby after he says "we have all the time in the world" when the motorcycle cop checks on him and tracy, and also, yeah,. great, call me a wimp on the internet, hardman aint ya mr Austin? i bet you wouldnt have the bloody guts to say it to my face! as far as i am concerened, you are little more than a deer or a boar, or even a Pidgeon (i hunt, so you can imagine what that means). as far as i am concerened the more someone calls people a wimp over the internet the more of a coward they are, because they dont have the balls to say it to someones face, a computer account is anonymous, so they think they can be hardmen on the pc. balls. your just like those people who pick on Nichole337. a bunch of twerp internet hardman cyberbully bungholes who would probably crap themselves if someone offered them a punch up in the pub!

@ Bain as i said in my earlier post, Bond had good reason to loose controll of his emotions there, hed just lost the only woman he truly loved. but, to cry, its still disgusting. as i said, as HORRIBLE as legends is, its ending to OHMSS is more like what i want, as Bond does show total utter mental and emotional devastation at tracys death, but no tears. as he is beyond them.... its far more manly, and as a double whammy, completely haunting.
    JamesBond wrote:
    @jetsetsilly, excuse me! you must have been watching a different OHMSS to me,. he bawls like a freaking baby after he says "we have all the time in the world" when the motorcycle cop checks on him and tracy, and also, yeah,. great, call me a wimp on the internet, hardman aint ya mr Austin? i bet you wouldnt have the bloody guts to say it to my face! as far as i am concerened, you are little more than a deer or a boar, or even a Pidgeon (i hunt, so you can imagine what that means). as far as i am concerened the more someone calls people a wimp over the internet the more of a coward they are, because they dont have the balls to say it to someones face, a computer account is anonymous, so they think they can be hardmen on the pc. balls. your just like those people who pick on Nichole337. a bunch of twerp internet hardman cyberbully bungholes who would probably crap themselves if someone offered them a punch up in the pub!

@ Bain as i said in my earlier post, Bond had good reason to loose controll of his emotions there, hed just lost the only woman he truly loved. but, to cry, its still disgusting. as i said, as HORRIBLE as legends is, its ending to OHMSS is more like what i want, as Bond does show total utter mental and emotional devastation at tracys death, but no tears. as he is beyond them.... its far more manly, and as a double whammy, completely haunting.

I think Laz sobbing makes it more believable. Someone probably WOULD cry if a loved one was killed in front of them.

For all of Laz's faults I will admit he delivered that last scene perfectly. In the book Bond talks as if "speaking to a child". OK he doesn't cry in the book but the sobs in the film are subtle and still suit the scene.
    each to own bain, i quess my own personal hatred of seeing men cry comes from my upbringing, my dad is an ex RSM, so, well, he had pretty low views on men showing "unmanly emotions" as he called them, and passed them on to me. i quess its down to how people are baught up that shapes there views on men showing certain emotions, i was baught up to beleive that men crying is disgusting, and that tears are only for females. and well, that formed my opinions, i quess someone with a different upbringing would probably be more tolerant of it and would see the authenticity in bond crying, were as im personally made nauseous by it and prefer the tearless response of the novel/legends cutscene. (thnak god for youtube, as the game is... blurgh!) as well, thats how i was baught up.
    Pierce Brosnan.

That surprised you didn't it?
    actonsteve wrote:
    Pierce Brosnan.

That...really...did @-)
    OHMSS is excellent but it is Rigg, Ferzetti and Savalas who carry it. There are some scenes where Laz is wooden (what she needs is a man to dominate her!")

Brozz is a trained actor, a limited actor, but still an actor.
    actonsteve wrote:
    OHMSS is excellent but it is Rigg, Ferzetti and Savalas who carry it. There are some scenes where Laz is wooden (what she needs is a man to dominate her!")

With the exception of the last scene (in which Hunt still played a crucial part) I agree with you.

Laz had some really nice scenes but you do get the feeling the other, more prestigious cast members were helping him. Laz is upstaged by the voice coming out of his mouth during one point in the film.

Brosnan had his fair share of limitations but I think he carried the films he was in better than Laz did.
    actonsteve wrote:
    Pierce Brosnan.

Yes actually.
    JamesBond wrote:
    And how do you think you come across on the internet? A big hard man?

And how do you think you come across on the internet? A big hard man?

Oh, he's playing a cyber-role here. Gotta be. Too many inconsistencies in his language IMO. :))
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Brosnan, easily.
    Lazenby was passable and in some scenes he was rather good, but I think that Brosnan was overall the more memorable Bond and the better actor.
  • actonsteve wrote:
    Pierce Brosnan.

It really did. Wasn't expecting that one.
    actonsteve wrote:

For once we agree. Like I said, I think Lazenby did a decent enough job, especially when you think about how he wasn't an actor, and he was good in the fight scenes and the final scene. But like you said, the film was carried by everything around him and he did seem wooden in some scenes.
    i dont care how i come across, all i do is stick to what i have been baught up to beleive in, and i keep hounest,. i dont act hard just to appear tough on "teh internetz" i leave that to 13 year old call of duty players. its pathetic and childish and a waste of my time. any sort of "big tough man" comes from the fact i will not have aspersions cast against me wothout reacting, as ive been baught up to show anyone who does that the error of there ways. the simple fact is, you cast aspersions on my manhood on the internet, and its been my experience that the people who do things like that would never do it to someones face because they are too scared of getting there heads kicked in. there "toughness" comes purely from the anonimity the internet gives them, its pathetic, id laugh were it not so childish. I mention i hunt not to come across as hard but, because, i do hunt for sport, and basically, i do see you as little more than an animal, prey. because you go around slamming everyones opinions, and then turn into "call of duty online" cybertroll calling everyone ghey or a wimp or a troll when someone calls you to task on it. i feel that basically, you lack the intellect, maturity and behavorial skills to be nothing more than a forum animal. because you think on "craig iz roxorz! any1 who no agree is troll! brozza fans are f4gz". save it for xbox live pal, there isnt room for it on the forums, so stop wasting bandwidth, have a civilised convo and just accept you are beeing a total utter Bunghole and your going to get an electronic slapping for it, and move on, or basically, vanish, because, your genuinely acting like a troll, a word i dont like using, but, you really are coming across that way, and No one cares what trolls think.

oh and chrisis, this is a joint account between 2 users, PJB, a Finn, and Me, an Englishman, hence the inconsitancies in lanquage. deal with it, by just leaping to the usual conclusion of "user-x does not agree with me, must be troll!" all you come across as is a 14 year old dweeb. its not an attractive image.