Many people look at Sean Connery as their favorite Bond, but I guess I just don't see why ?

Comments

lahaine wrote:
    lahaine wrote:
    QOS rival anything Connery done.

I have no response to this.

Its a great film i've no shame in saying it.
    I'll second this.

QoS does not rival anything with Connery in it but it is a lot better than some people make out. My favourite from the DC era. A flawed but decent effort.
  • Getafix wrote:
    QoS does not rival anything with Connery in it but it is a lot better than some people make out. My favourite from the DC era. A flawed but decent effort.
    Individual tastes vary, of course, but I find the three films Craig has made to be the most enjoyable of the series, with Dalton's The Living Daylights and Connery's From Russia With Love rounding out my top five.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    For me, none of Craig's movies top Connery's TB.
  • Dalton was my favorite Bond, but perhaps, just maybe, Connery was the best Bond of the six we ever saw, although Craig just maybe, by the end of his tenure, will have closed in a little, but hopefully should never overtake or get in first position, I want Connery to have that as James Bond

Times are so different from the 1960s, bigger budgets, more license to go for bigger things, greater stunts, action sequences etc. Connery didn't really have that during his tenure, but he still gave us a very good portrayal of the Fleming character, and his two appearances from 1962-63, may never be broken when it comes to how close you can be to Flemings original creation, Craig is too thuggish sometimes, and simply lacks the smoothness or debonair that Connery had, while still being dangerous and at times, ruthless

There was a part of me that couldn't quite comprehend anyone saying why they didn't like Connery or thought he didn't do a good job as 007, but it's all about opinions. Certainly after 1965, I would go along with that, but some of those earliest appearances, it was almost immaculate
    Getafix wrote:
    but it is a lot better than some people make out. My favourite from the DC era. .

I have been arguing this since its release. A tight little thriller.

Dalton was my favorite Bond, but perhaps, just maybe, Connery was the best Bond of the six we ever saw, although Craig just maybe, by the end of his tenure, will have closed in a little, but hopefully should never overtake or get in first position, I want Connery to have that as James Bond

Times are so different from the 1960s, bigger budgets, more license to go for bigger things, greater stunts, action sequences etc. Connery didn't really have that during his tenure, but he still gave us a very good portrayal of the Fleming character, and his two appearances from 1962-63, may never be broken when it comes to how close you can be to Flemings original creation, Craig is too thuggish sometimes, and simply lacks the smoothness or debonair that Connery had, while still being dangerous and at times, ruthless

There was a part of me that couldn't quite comprehend anyone saying why they didn't like Connery or thought he didn't do a good job as 007, but it's all about opinions. Certainly after 1965, I would go along with that, but some of those earliest appearances, it was almost immaculate

Agree with every word.

Those who compare DC to Connery are doing both actors a disservice. Frankly no one is ever going to match the perfection of those early films. It is partly to do with being the first, but as @Baltimore_oo7 says, those early performances are immaculate. It's cinematic alchemy taking place before your eyes. No one, not Rog, not Tim or DC can match it.
    actonsteve wrote:
    QOS? It's better than CR. There. I said it.
    Getafix wrote:
    t's cinematic alchemy taking place before your eyes.
    I'd say that was DN - TB. After that, the magic weakened and became unstable.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    t's cinematic alchemy taking place before your eyes.
    I'd say that was DN - TB. After that, the magic weakened and became unstable.

Four out of six isn't bad though...
  • While not getting a bit repetitive, the absolute best of James Bond took place in 1962 and 1963, for mere Fleming resemblance and qualities. Only Dalton came close, and maybe Craig for Royale. The series degenerated a bit with Moore into the 1970s, while still some decent bits and pieces and one or two very good releases, and was threatening to disappear into a sea of nonsense before the very end of his Bond tenure, before Dalton came in to bring it back to life, and after that, Brosnan was a bit hit and miss in his four releases, but at times, did try to come close to some of the very earliest, and Dalton performances, but they were few and far between
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    chrisisall wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:

Well you're wrong.

• RC7RC7
    chrisisall wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:

Well you're wrong.

I'll second that. It's not even close.
  • chrisisall wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:

It's not. Really not.

But it's way better than everyone makes it out to be. Greene is one of my favorite villains. HATE ME! HATE ME FOR THAT!

It's not. Really not.

I'll take tight little thriller over bloated big reboot, thank you very much. b-(
  • chrisisall wrote:
    It's not. Really not.

I'll take tight little thriller over bloated big reboot, thank you very much. b-(

Well, if you prefer than, then I guess QoS is superior. I do get the appeal in it, don't get me wrong. Lots of scenes in QoS is fantastic. It's just the editing which kinda bothers me.

It's just the editing which kinda bothers me.
    I'm not a fan of 'shakey-cam' or rapid-fire editing, but the whole story & Craig's performance seemed somehow 'simpler' & less contrived to me.
    To ME... anyway.
  • It also helps that it's the shortest Bond movie. It's a compact, action packed bullet. And I appreciate that.
    It's a compact, action packed bullet.
    Give the public what they want...
    :))
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    chrisisall wrote:

They'll print anything these days. 8-|
  • chrisisall wrote:

They'll print anything these days. 8-|

You know... there's no news, like bad news.
    Gosh I love TND! B-)
    chrisisall wrote:
    It's just the editing which kinda bothers me.
    I'm not a fan of 'shakey-cam' or rapid-fire editing, but the whole story & Craig's performance seemed somehow 'simpler' & less contrived to me.
    To ME... anyway.

Definitely true. A simple, straightforward Bond movie with no nonsense (apart from the shaky cam and dodgy editing...). It's been unfairly maligned.

I see parallels with TND in a way. TND is IMO the best Brozza outing, partly because it is also the least pretentious of his films. It has a simple story and the first half is mainly decent. I think it's the most visually stylish of the Brosnan films as well. The only one that captures the look and feel of the 90s.
  • ...although Craig just maybe, by the end of his tenure, will have closed in a little, but hopefully should never overtake or get in first position, I want Connery to have that as James Bond...
    That's nostalgia, and I think that, as much as anything else, is part of why Connery often gets held in such high regard when it comes to Bond.

...although Craig just maybe, by the end of his tenure, will have closed in a little, but hopefully should never overtake or get in first position, I want Connery to have that as James Bond...
    That's nostalgia, and I think that, as much as anything else, is part of why Connery often gets held in such high regard when it comes to Bond.

No need to worry any way. DC is not even within touching distance of Sean.
  • Getafix wrote:
    Actually, I feel quite the reverse. Much as I enjoy Connery's first two Bond movies in particular, his performances don't hold a candle to what Craig is doing with the role for me. When I'm watching Connery I find myself thinking he does a good job playing James Bond; when I watch Craig in the role he IS James Bond.

Connery gave bond life weather or not hes your fave bond or not all the other actors have had to compere there performance to Connery and the audience will all ways compere actor's with even in this thread. Had one of the others been first they would be the same. so therefore there no one else to compere to and the original by most will always be seen as the best. But doe's it mean he is well he certainly set the bench mark and set it high and others that followed had all there own qualities but its hard to compere yourself to the original when hes as strong in the roll as Connery but in my opinion no ones come close until Craig a contender for the number one spot if he makes more films and there all as good as SF and CR but a lot of this will be down to scripts and directors as I feel he as shown potential but was let down by direction in qos but makes it up in SF. But saying all this i think all the bonds do a grate job except for me lazenby sorry for that lazenby fans i don't see him as bond at all
    Poor old Laz. He really wasn't all that bad. I think one more Laz film with a proper revenge story would have been excellent.
  • Getafix wrote:
    Poor old Laz. He really wasn't all that bad. I think one more Laz film with a proper revenge story would have been excellent.
    I would have loved to see that!

Getafix wrote:
    Actually, I feel quite the reverse. Much as I enjoy Connery's first two Bond movies in particular, his performances don't hold a candle to what Craig is doing with the role for me. When I'm watching Connery I find myself thinking he does a good job playing James Bond; when I watch Craig in the role he IS James Bond.

I appreciate Craig is giving the character a greater depth in terms of background etc but I just don't enjoy his performances as much as Sean, Rog or Tim. Dalts did a 'darker' Bond and did it better IMO. Sean was charm and danger personified and Rog was just pure quilty pleasure. As much I welcomed DC's arrival after Brosnan I find myself increasingly bored by his navel-gazing characterisation. I want Bond to get over himself and live a little.