Will we ever see a film simply titled "James Bond"?

Comments

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    So long as we never see " .... Kingdom of the crystal skull" after it, to really bring down
    the series, I'll be happy. ;)

That actually was a great title.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Walecs wrote: »
    So long as we never see " .... Kingdom of the crystal skull" after it, to really bring down
    the series, I'll be happy. ;)

That actually was a great title.

If not such a great film to go along with it, sadly. The involvement of the aliens were just too much for me...
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Nice title, poor movie. :(
    Nice title, poor movie. :(

My thoughts exactly, though I did like the bit where Indy hid in the lead lined fridge. That was one of the few real stand-out scenes for me, even if it was very unrealistic that he survived inside the fridge.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Like yourself ( I think) it was only the involvement of the aliens that spoilt it for me.
    Indy was all about mystery, spiritual power, that sort of thing.
    Like yourself ( I think) it was only the involvement of the aliens that spoilt it for me.
    Indy was all about mystery, spiritual power, that sort of thing.

Yes, it seemed to science-fiction for me. The Indy films had never went in that direction hitherto so it was a bit of a culture shock. That said, I've only seen the film once.
    It is always possible i suppose?
    Out of curiosity how would people feel about a bond movie named after the man himself Ian Fleming of just Fleming?

Putting s fictionalized version of Fleming into bond could be interesting
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Perhaps 150 years later.
    It is unavoidable that at some point when EON finally lose control (let's face it are every generation of Broccolis/Wilsons really going to want to do nothing with their lives than make Bond films? At some point someone will sell up) that we will get a film called James Bond 007 or some such variant because the studio money men worry most about brand recognition and it's already become the norm to refer to films as Bond 24, 25 or whatever in tandem with the title.

Sounds about right to me. The Bond rights are bound to be sold off eventually, and it's rare to see sequels these days without a title in common.
  • RC7RC7
    If they decided to call a film 'James Bond', my enthusiasm for the series, which is at this point unwavering (and always has been) would dip dramatically. It would suggest a fundamental disconnect with what makes this series so beautiful. It would be shockingly poor.
    RC7 wrote: »
    If they decided to call a film 'James Bond', my enthusiasm for the series, which is at this point unwavering (and always has been) would dip dramatically. It would suggest a fundamental disconnect with what makes this series so beautiful. It would be shockingly poor.

Positively shockingly poor?
    I recall talk (at the time) that Tomorrow Never Dies was going to simply be named after its working title of "Bond 18" but I guess that was said with tongue firmly in cheek.
    @Dragonpol, I think it was The World Is Not Enough that was going to be called Bond 2000, with the release date rumoured to be scheduled in the year 2000 to mark Bond's entrance properly to the 21st century with it.
    @Dragonpol, I think it was The World Is Not Enough that was going to be called Bond 2000, with the release date rumoured to be scheduled in the year 2000 to mark Bond's entrance properly to the 21st century with it.

Thanks! There's another one then!
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    The only time I think a film titled "James Bond," would work is for the final Bond film (If it was planned to be the final film and it ever comes in our lifetimes).
    The only time I think a film titled "James Bond," would work is for the final Bond film (If it was planned to be the final film and it ever comes in our lifetimes).

How about Rest in Peace, James Bond? I really hope that we never see it though.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

That would be a really good title. Though, if I had to see the Bond series end, I wouldn't want it to be with his death. Strangely enough, I always pictured Bond ending much the way SP did.
    It was kind of meant to be corny.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Wasn't an old Columbo episode named similarly? That's what comes to mind when I hear that title.
    I think the next actor might get a "James Bond" type title for their first outing.
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 1,469
    chrisisall wrote: »
    ...the character of James Bond lives in a world bigger than himself, therefore the titles will never be charactercentric.
    The producers could name a film James Bond, but I doubt they ever will. It's never about Bond--it's about the mission...though I suppose License To Kill may be as personal as a mission gets for him. And about the British Secret Service--it's secret, and Bond keeps his identity as secret as possible. Goldfinger...Octopussy... About SPECTRE, yes the name has a great "ring" to it, but of course it's about the group Bond's fighting. Skyfall--where it all began, but also where the mission ends for some. Even if he's taken some of his ego out of the equation, Bond has plenty of that left to go around--larger than life? or almost?--so he or the picture doesn't need a title to reinforce it.
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 1,469
    I own all of them. I just feel that, despite the romantic angle regarding Vesper, Bond is more motivated by revenge (and less by a sanctioned British mission) in LTK...though QoS comes close.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Wasn't an old Columbo episode named similarly? That's what comes to mind when I hear that title.

Yes, that's where I got the idea: Rest in Peace, Mrs Columbo (1989). It's actually a very good episode of Columbo.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Awful again.

If anything it's this thread that needs to rest in peace.

It's a shit idea and it should never happen. That should be an end of it.
  • RC7RC7

Awful again.

Yes.
    edited July 2016 Posts: 15,423

Awful again.

Yes.
    Thirded.

The laziest thing ever to call a film James Bond. Bond, even though being the protagonist, is one of the keys that drives the story forward, not the only one. The primary importance of a Bond thriller is the mission, the villain and the mcguffin. Give us a poetic three or four word title, and that should be suitable.
    While I understand the hate toward the title James Bond and 007 in New York if it were to happen I wouldn't be too upset... As Mr Big once said "Names are for Tombstones"

As for when I would think its apropriate if a certain director who is known for trilogies came in to do his trilogy and show case 1 film of bond begining his career anew the second film in the middle of his career and the third as his last mission I could see the first of the three films being titled James Bond and I would become with it.

007 in New York should be the final Craig film as he hates that title and is a good way to get back at him for the wrists comments
  • RC7RC7
    Risico007 wrote: »
    While I understand the hate toward the title James Bond and 007 in New York if it were to happen I wouldn't be too upset... As Mr Big once said "Names are for Tombstones"

As for when I would think its apropriate if a certain director who is known for trilogies came in to do his trilogy and show case 1 film of bond begining his career anew the second film in the middle of his career and the third as his last mission I could see the first of the three films being titled James Bond and I would become with it.

007 in New York should be the final Craig film as he hates that title and is a good way to get back at him for the wrists comments

Sigh.
    Risico007 wrote: »

Sigh.
    Yep.