What action movies did you grow up watching and like the most.

2»

Comments

• Creasy47 wrote:
    @MajorDSmythe, I agree: Van Damme still makes some really entertaining action films, unlike Seagal.

He's done some good stuff recently. I liked him in Machete and Kill Switch wasn't terrible.

I think his best film is Under Seige.

Steven Seagal's best films were Nico (Above the Law - USA) & Under Siege outside of these the catalogue is to say the least average.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Y'know, Bond has been the action movie thread throughout my life. Bond was there when I was born & too young to see, Bond will be there after I expire, I conjure.
    Bond, Indiana Jones, Schwarzenegger and Stallone films, Ghostbusters, Robocop, Alien films, some Christopher Lambert and Van-Damme films, Dirty Harry and other Clint Eastwood cop and cowboy movies...
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Star Wars and 80's movies, even though I was born in 1990. My dad would not get rid of his 80's movies, and wouldn't let me watch the movie networks, so I had to work with Star Wars movies and VHS of 80's movies. Because of that, I can't really stand too many 90's movies unless they have 80's stars.
  • dragonball Z and Pokemon haha, not so good...
  • Van the Man's best films are lionheart (AWOL), kick boxer, Jcvd and Sudden Death. Those films are awesome in anyone's books.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Speed.

Suspenseful action throughout without overdoing it
  • Van the Man's best films are lionheart (AWOL), kick boxer, Jcvd and Sudden Death. Those films are awesome in anyone's books.

Don't forget Bloodsport.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I've loved Jackie Chans films ever since I saw Police Story when I was a kid. What I really like is how he does his own stunts, some of the stuff he's done is mind blowing.

Now you're talking!

The opening 'PTS' of Police Story is probably better than half the Bonds.

To be honest only TSWLM, MR, GE, TWINE and the CR parkour come close.

The stuff with him hanging off the bus all done entirely for real is unbelievable and this after they have demolished a shanty town in a one take deal as they couldn't afford to build it again.

Don't think Police Story gets the recognition it deserves as one of the all time great action films alongside likes of Raiders and Die Hard 1.

Shame how his films were all crap once he went to America.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Terminator 2, Die Hard, True Lies, Batman Forever and Goldeneye (I'm not sure whether that last one counts here but it has to be my most watched 'action' film when growing up).
    I grew up with the likes of Beverly Hills Cop, The Jewel of the Nile, Ghostbusters, Star Wars, Indy.
    Then came Die Hard, which was the first film I wasn´t able to eat my usual snack during, because I was so spellbound.
    Lately I´m mad for the first two Mad Max films, but I wasn´t able at all to understand or appreciate them when they came out first ;-) .
  • I grew up with Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee, Die Hard, and Rambo but what really pulled my collars and punched me in the face was Clint Eastwood in Dirty Harry. I was about ten when I first saw it, made me a man ever since then. Other than that, there are a plenty of other action films that pumped testosterone in my veins: Blood Sport, Face/Off, True Lies, The Rock, etc.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    As a kid I got into Bronson movies (not Brosnan). The Mechanic, Mr Majestik, The Stone Killers, the first Death Wish, stuff like that. He went out of fashion quite quickly, but in the late 60s to mid 70s Charles Bronson was pretty cool.
    Don't forget Bronson in Breakout (1975) with Robert Duvall, Randy Quaid and John Huston plus the classy Telefon (1977), @NicNac. The original The Mechanic (1972) is superb.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Van the Man's best films are lionheart (AWOL), kick boxer, Jcvd and Sudden Death. Those films are awesome in anyone's books.

My favourites are: Hard Target, Nowhere To Run, Sudden Death, Maximum Risk, The Order, Second In Command, Assassination Games, 6 Bullets & UniSol.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    First love... Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Then Bond. Followed by Alien series. Predator. Die Hard. John Woo. Then I was pretty much an adult! Woohoo!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    bondsum wrote:
    Don't forget Bronson in Breakout (1975) with Robert Duvall, Randy Quaid and John Huston plus the classy Telefon (1977), @NicNac. The original The Mechanic (1972) is superb.

Happy days ;-)
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    As pure action : "Lethal Weapon 1 to 4" (it's another of my favourite films serie), a few Schwarzenneger, a few JCVD, a few Stallone, a few Jackie Chan, very few Chuck Norris, (may I add "McGyver", it was such cool), "Batman"...many more ! lol

As more sci-fi, fantastic, adventures etc : "Jurrasic Parks", some "Indiana Jones", all "Star Wars",all "LOTR", "Back To The Future 1 & 2"...saw, remorsed and still regrets to have happen to watch with mates "HP" 1 to 4... I started sleeping after the second, thing I've never done before in cinemas.
    I feel ashamed now at being pigeonned like this. lol, Just nevermore. I experienced.

and more kids targeted films/cartoons, I'm born in 1990.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Leathal Weapon 4
    Die Hard
    Highlander
    Highlander Endgame
    Aliens
    True Lies
  • I've loved Jackie Chans films ever since I saw Police Story when I was a kid. What I really like is how he does his own stunts, some of the stuff he's done is mind blowing.

Now you're talking!

The opening 'PTS' of Police Story is probably better than half the Bonds.

To be honest only TSWLM, MR, GE, TWINE and the CR parkour come close.

The stuff with him hanging off the bus all done entirely for real is unbelievable and this after they have demolished a shanty town in a one take deal as they couldn't afford to build it again.

Don't think Police Story gets the recognition it deserves as one of the all time great action films alongside likes of Raiders and Die Hard 1.

Shame how his films were all crap once he went to America.

His Chinese stuff is the best but he's done some good American work. Who Am I was pretty badass.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Who Am I was pretty badass.
    The Chinese version of Accidental Spy was pretty hardcore as well.
    1.The Bond films
    2.Jason and The Argonauts
    3.Star Wars
    4.Raiders of the Lost Ark
  • Hudson Hawk. Utterly underrated action comedy with Bruce Willis as the hero and Richard E. Grant and Sandra Bernard as the villains. I saw this when i was a very small child and it is still one of my favorite films. The story of a catburglar on the run from an unscrupulous company, the mafia, the vatican, the CIA, his parole officer and his own best friend who are all linked somehow.