What action movies did you grow up watching and like the most.

edited November 2012 in General Movies & TV Posts: 1,107
for me it was die hard and all the Stallone and schwarzenegger movies.

Comments

• Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    Bond films!!!!!

And Schwarzenegger too.
  • tqbtqb
    Besides Bond, Star Wars... I always had a soft spot for ghostbusters too :)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I grew up with Bond, and Bruce Lee.
    Die Hard, Predator, Aliens, Conan, Total Recall, Terminator, Matrix- all that came later in my 20's & 30's.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Bond.
    Growing up, watching the Bonds occupied most of my spare time.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Bond, the Die Hard films, Rambo. Also Bruce Lee, Van Damme and Jackie Chans films.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Aside from James Bond, my biggest fan (when he actually did a few good movies) was Steven Seagal. 'Out for Justice' was a really entertaining movie.

Aside from that, I watched Brosnan's films to an insane amount on VHS, and then continued from there.
    I was obsessed with Quentin Tarantino at a surprisingly young age.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Bond almost exclusively.

I was mildly diverted by the Indiana Jones films, and I loved the first one particularly.

The only other action series I really enjoy is Die Hard. Nothing else comes onto my radar.
  • I forgot Indiana Jones. I liked those too.
    Bond, the Die Hard films, Rambo. Also Bruce Lee, Van Damme and Jackie Chans films.
    From the late eighties on I became a BIG Chan fan, love Van Damme's Timecop, First Blood rocked, and how could I forget Indy?
    I've loved Jackie Chans films ever since I saw Police Story when I was a kid. What I really like is how he does his own stunts, some of the stuff he's done is mind blowing.
    I've loved Jackie Chans films ever since I saw Police Story when I was a kid. What I really like is how he does his own stunts, some of the stuff he's done is mind blowing.

I love Jackie Chan so much. His films are so entertaining, and knowing that he does his all stunts is mindblowing. I love the bloopers of his, because most of them show just how much pain can derive from a simple slip up. It's crazy.

I don't remember what film it was - Who Am I maybe - but he jumps off the side of the building and slides alllll the way down that glass window, and stops himself at the very end. No mats, no strings, nothing. If he slipped or didn't catch the ledge at the end, he would have fallen to his death.
    The original Star Wars trilogy.

I hated the Stalllone Schwazzenegger films as things that destroyed your brain cells.
  • Jcvd, John woo, Arnie, Seagal, where eagles dare, spagetti westerns,
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I love Jackie Chan so much. His films are so entertaining, and knowing that he does his all stunts is mindblowing.
    His two 'Armour of God' films are so out there.... :O
    Die Hards, Indiana Jones, Star Trek, Star Wars, Jackie Chan films, Arnie movies, and ofcourse daer old Bond movies! Not a bad childhood! :D
    The Bond-movies, Indiana Jones, the 80's Arnold and Sly-movies, Lethal Weapon 1 and 2, the cheasy Canon movies (Enter the Ninja, Chuck Norris etc ). Then I became an adult!
  • John woo

Anytime you see a guy diving firing two handguns, thank John Woo. Love him, but I didn't really become a fan of his films until I was older.
    actonsteve wrote:
    I hated the Stalllone Schwazzenegger films as things that destroyed your brain cells.

They make great entertaining action films. Not everything has to be some Oscar worthy character piece.

Also First Blood and most of the Rocky films have great stories too and are actually fairly emotional.
    Zekidk wrote:
    The Bond-movies, Indiana Jones, the 80's Arnold and Sly-movies, Lethal Weapon 1 and 2, the cheasy Canon movies (Enter the Ninja, Chuck Norris etc ). Then I became an adult!

Nice call on the Lethal Weapon films! I forgot about them!
    That's fried rice, you plick!
    I forgot Mad Max!!!! Loved those films, still do. I watched the 2nd one on VHS religiously. God that Interceptor was a nice car.
  • Being born in 1962, I must say that "The time machine" with Rod Taylor and Yvette Mimieux was the definite ultimate movie for me. I also remember "Jack the Giant Killer" and "Monte Carlo or Bust" with Tony Curtis. I only got acquinted with James Bond in the early 1980's with a viewing of From Russia With Love on non-cable TV.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 546
    Besides Bond films. Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Die Hard & Batman.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited November 2012 Posts: 13,894
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Aside from James Bond, my biggest fan (when he actually did a few good movies) was Steven Seagal. 'Out for Justice' was a really entertaining movie.

Same here, just replace Seagal with Van Damme (whom I think still makes good action films).
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 129
    For me it was Bond first & Last, double bill FRWL & GF & most recent Skyfall. As a time line I've gone through Lethal Weapon & Die Hard that took action forward in the 80's, Arnie was OK but a bit too much of a cartoon for me, First Blood was a classic, Rambo II & III were more like a caricature, JCVD, Dolph Lungren & Steven Seagal were the bridge between the 80's & 90's, then the 90's gave us Nick Cage as an action hero with The Rock & Con Air, Bourne in the 2000's was a defining moment for action, the Late 80's & early 90's were the peek of the action genre, but no matter how many new re-launched or new in the style of the 80's movies we get (Rambo 4, Die Hard 4 & 5[still to come], Expendables 1 & 2) IMO Bond has gone with the times & still remains the number one action series of all time.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 3,333
    Apart from the Bonds, it was a mixture of Clint Eastwood and Charlton Heston movies for me. None of these I would call an out-and-out action movie as they were far more cerebral than what later passed as just plain "action movies"...

However, included on the list would be Where Eagles Dare; Kelly's Heroes; Dirty Harry (the ones I could sneak in to underage); The Outlaw Josey Wales; High Plains Drifter; The Eiger Sanction; The Gauntlet. Charlton Heston - The Omega Man; The Planet of the Apes series; Earthquake; Airport 1975. The others I also grew up with were Fist of Fury and Enter The Dragon. I'm not sure whether I can include Rollerball (1975) or Death Wish in there, but they certainly had elements of action and they each made an impact on me. All these I saw below the age of 14 at the cinema rather than waiting for them to appear on TV first which made them a huge part of my formative years.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Bond, Indiana Jones and Die Hard were the films I'd watch, though Bond led the pack by some distance.
    @MajorDSmythe, I agree: Van Damme still makes some really entertaining action films, unlike Seagal.
  • AliAli
    Bond, Star Wars, Indy, the Alistair Maclean adaptations and the Leone/Eastwood westerns.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @MajorDSmythe, I agree: Van Damme still makes some really entertaining action films, unlike Seagal.

He's done some good stuff recently. I liked him in Machete and Kill Switch wasn't terrible.

I think his best film is Under Seige.