SPECTRE: TOP 5 elements "SPECTRE" must have to tackle all criticism that surrounded "SKYFALL"

Comments

• M_Balje wrote: »
    One inprovement on Skyfall, already be broken. No spoilers.
    Moost is already spoild with name of the movie, by gustav graves and if you have bit of idea about Quantum/Specter goal.

I hope there wil not be to much spoilers with showing to much pictures or use the link if link also not spoil things.

With all do respect, but the above list was created before real news about Bond 24 got to the surface...
  • Mi6LisbonBranchMi6LisbonBranch Lisbon, Portugal
    Ludovico wrote: »
    More gadgets (but never close to DAD of course).
    More 007 theme and Bondian tunes.
    Q on location
    Bond in a Naval Army Suit
    And a bit more humour.

Really? That is a flaw of SF? Bond was not in a Navy Army suit?

Sorry. You're right.
    I forgot the part that we were refering to Skyfall, and just made the list considering what i would like to see on SP. My bad!
    But the other points stand. Instead ot this "naval suit" issue, i would say ... the gunbarrel in the beguinning.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    For me the five elements SPECTRE needs to overcome my issues with SKYFALL are.

1. Better music score. Half of Skyfall's was nice, but the rest was not very memorable.

2. Better one liners.

3. No hamfisted product placement. (Tanner drinking on the Job was eyerolling.)

4. Better use of locations.

5. No more MI-6 trust issue's with Bond and vise versa.
  • Mi6LisbonBranchMi6LisbonBranch Lisbon, Portugal
    Murdock wrote: »
    For me the five elements SPECTRE needs to overcome my issues with SKYFALL are.

1. Better music score. Half of Skyfall's was nice, but the rest was not very memorable.

2. Better one liners.

3. No hamfisted product placement. (Tanner drinking on the Job was eyerolling.)

4. Better use of locations.

5. No more MI-6 trust issue's with Bond and vise versa.

I forgot this one. You're totally right. This scene was totally out of place. And annoying!
    A "read Bond-girl" is a female who reads any of Fleming's original novels.

A REAL Bond girl is another matter entirely...

Let me re-phrase my question . . . "what is a REAL Bond girl?"
  • Here's a nice article I found that kind of ticks the boxes we forummembers have been talking about in this topic :-):

http://whatculture.com/film/9-things-spectre-needs-to-satisfy-diehard-bond-fans.php
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    Here's a nice article I found that kind of ticks the boxes we forummembers have been talking about in this topic :-):

http://whatculture.com/film/9-things-spectre-needs-to-satisfy-diehard-bond-fans.php

Great article @Gustav_Graves.

What I've always wanted to see (and it's been eons.....no pun intended......since we've seen it) is the villains plotting without Bond being in the picture frame. It's been a long time since that has happened. I'm thinking along the lines of the classic Kronsteen/Klebb/Blofeld/Piranha scene in FRWL, when the dastardly plot is hatched and revealed. Or in TB, when the defector is electrocuted in his seat with Largo barely batting an eyelid. I'd love to see that again. SPECTRE provides the perfect vehicle for this to occur.

PS: That photo of Blofeld's lair in YOLT from your link takes me back. Boy do I miss the great Ken Adam.
  • O6GO6G
    the start should be: Gunbarrel, build up to mission, credits and song, flirt with moneypenny on the way in to M's office, briefing, a bit more flirting with moneypenny, then go on and save the world.

Quantum story line wrapped up please
    less CGI
    better acting
    Different score

Other than that, most has already been mentioned.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    No plotholes.

Fun.

Gunbarrel at start.

This time it's not personal.

Skiing.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    O6G wrote: »
    the start should be: Gunbarrel, build up to mission, credits and song, flirt with moneypenny on the way in to M's office, briefing, a bit more flirting with moneypenny, then go on and save the world.

Quantum story line wrapped up please
    less CGI
    better acting
    Different score

Other than that, most has already been mentioned.

Pretty much agreed with this (although I have no problem with anyone's acting ability in Skyfall).
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    bondjames wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Time needs to be allowed for audiences to immerse themselves and soak up the atmosphere of the foreign locations Bond visits.

This I totally agree with. I used to travel vicariously through Bond as a youngster. They don't take the time to let the locations 'breathe' on screen any more. They should. The worst offender recently was QoS - we hardly got to experience Siena which was beautiful because of all that bs editing.

Yes. I have been saying this for ages - the locations need to be woven into the story more, become part of the fabric of the plot and create some atmosphere. This aspect of Bondmovies seems to have been largely ignored since Babs took over the reigns
  • AceHole wrote: »
    Time needs to be allowed for audiences to immerse themselves and soak up the atmosphere of the foreign locations Bond visits.

This I totally agree with. I used to travel vicariously through Bond as a youngster. They don't take the time to let the locations 'breathe' on screen any more. They should. The worst offender recently was QoS - we hardly got to experience Siena which was beautiful because of all that bs editing.

Yes. I have been saying this for ages - the locations need to be woven into the story more, become part of the fabric of the plot and create some atmosphere. This aspect of Bondmovies seems to have been largely ignored since Babs took over the reigns

How much location interwoven in the plot do you want to have, if that was already heavily the case with "Skyfall"? England and Scotland were almost sacred locations in the film, integral parts of the story and background of M and 007.

I actually think the problem you were mentioning was more the case with the Brosnan-films. Take for instance the skiing in TWINE. It's like...stupid really. Bond: "I have prepared for a cold reception". Yeah really, and grab some ski's from King's company...because they suddenly are there :-O!! :-)
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 11,119
    In any case, let's talk about the gunbarrel sequence. I'm convinced it'll be back at the start, full throttle, with a very loud Thomas Newman version of the James Bond theme. *BAMMM* :-)!

I even have the feeling they are going to use the very old Maurice Binder template for the gunbarrel sequence. That'll be cool no?

latest?cb=20130119011712
    edited December 2014 Posts: 1,138
    I highly doubt we'll see Craig down on one knee.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    AceHole wrote: »

How much location interwoven in the plot do you want to have, if that was already heavily the case with "Skyfall"? England and Scotland were almost sacred locations in the film, integral parts of the story and background of M and 007.

I actually think the problem you were mentioning was more the case with the Brosnan-films. Take for instance the skiing in TWINE. It's like...stupid really. Bond: "I have prepared for a cold reception". Yeah really, and grab some ski's from King's company...because they suddenly are there :-O!! :-)

Nah, I wasn't feeling the locations in SF, except perhaps for Scotland. That had a bit of 'time to breathe'.
    But all the rest just could have been filmed anywhere...
    Here's a nice article I found that kind of ticks the boxes we forummembers have been talking about in this topic :-):

I agree with some of what he said, but he's presumptuous saying that's what all Bond fans want. And a Bond movie is not a grocery list.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    In any case, let's talk about the gunbarrel sequence. I'm convinced it'll be back at the start, full throttle, with a very loud Thomas Newman version of the James Bond theme. *BAMMM* :-)!

I even have the feeling they are going to use the very old Maurice Binder template for the gunbarrel sequence. That'll be cool no?

latest?cb=20130119011712

You could be right. I think Craig has to practice his GB sequence though. I can't say I'm that impressed with his 'turn and shoot'. Brosnan did it much better. IMO, Craig's best 'turn, point and shoot' was in the CR pretitles in the washroom. He has to practice this
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

latest?cb=20130119011712

As long as it's better than the sudden, jarring entrance Bond has in SF. That startled me so much (theater was especially loud) that I spilled my drink.

You could be right. I think Craig has to practice his GB sequence though. I can't say I'm that impressed with his 'turn and shoot'. Brosnan did it much better. IMO, Craig's best 'turn, point and shoot' was in the CR pretitles in the washroom. He has to practice this

If he practices half as much as I do he should do fine ;)
    I think EON scans these pages. A dinner with the bad guy is suggested in the first page, back in 2012. It is now apparently part of the film.
    And I mentioned an Austrian castle as a villain's lair in the wishlist thread a few years ago. if it shows up, I will ask for royalties. Just kidding.
    It's too late. The script for "SPECTRE" has already been written and they're now filming. This thread is already irrelevant.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 14,838
    DRush76 wrote: »
    It's too late. The script for "SPECTRE" has already been written and they're now filming. This thread is already irrelevant.

Yes and no. We don't know what and if something has been changed between SF and SP. I mean yes we know if we know about the leaks, but otherwise, we don't know and this is not a thread that is about the leaks.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 11,119
    Stamper wrote: »
    I think EON scans these pages. A dinner with the bad guy is suggested in the first page, back in 2012. It is now apparently part of the film.

Just have a look at my post on page 24, and be amazed how many aspects of that list are.....actually becoming reality =P~. And that list of aspects has been shaping up nicely way before the actual screenplay for "SPECTRE" was finished; in 2013. The thread is irrelevant? Perhaps now it slightly is. But it can still be a source of inspiration for us forummembers....and indeed for EON Productions :-P.

Also, don't underestimate the power of Google. Search for "SPECTRE CRITICISM" OR "SKYFALL SPECTRE CRITICISM" and be surprised how the topic is featured on the first page on Google Search ;-).
  • aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    Blofled return!! YESSS
  • My wishlist for SPECTRE
    article-0-0D828F69000005DC-261_468x576.jpg

So that's your wish for SPECTRE :-P? Wait till you get to see my titties 8-}
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,119
    =bg= wrote: »
    I think it would be terrific if they just lifted the gun barrel from one of the early Connery's, and inserted Craig. And use the original version of the theme. The same one.

I think that could be very likely. Just making the actual dots and the gunbarrel-circle smaller, like with the first three gunbarrel sequences (DN, FRWL, GF), would create even slightly more mystery to the character.

It's also the biggest no# 1 wish of most Bond fans in this topic....that the original Maurice Binder-barrel returns.....perhaps with a very good rendition of Monty Norman's Bond theme, reworked by Thomas Newman.

What about a combination of this gunbarrel (lovely music, great gunbarrel pose by Daniel):

But combined with the original gunbarrel template from Maurice Binder:
    my wish list

1.some use of gadgets that isn't overly cheesy
    2.felix leiter back and getting a few kills
    3.complete tie up of Mr white and Quantum situation
    4.Batista being the best henchman in decades and truly testing 007
    5.classic main villain compound/lair that must be raided and destroyed
  • my wish list

1.some use of gadgets that isn't overly cheesy
    2.felix leiter back and getting a few kills
    3.complete tie up of Mr white and Quantum situation
    4.Batista being the best henchman in decades and truly testing 007
    5.classic main villain compound/lair that must be raided and destroyed

That looks like a damn fine wish list to me. I would be okay with Quantum/White being left open-ended if it's pertinent to where they want to take SPECTRE down the line, otherwise I'm all for restoring some of those classic Bond elements.

• My TOP 5!:

01)The return of Ernst Stavro Blofeld.

02)Re-introduce SPECTRE.

03)Has anyone seen the 1966 Formula One movie 'Grand Prix'?

04)Time to bring the Daniel Kleinman gunbarrel back at the start.

05)Bring back director Sam Mendes.

A great list @ Gustav_Graves and by the looks of things, with the exception of No.3, your wishes have been granted!

For motor racing you will have to read Horowitz's new Bond novel due out in September. Part of this centres around motor sport as it includes Ian Fleming's unpublished story involving Sir Stirling Moss at the Nuremberg Ring. Certainly, modern Formula 1 should make an apperance at some juncture if for no other reason than Bernie Ecclestone would make a superb Bond villain!

Now that SF has movie Bond back on track, Villiers53 has three big wishes for eon:

1) A coherent, believable plot.
    Great as SF is, it doesn't really stand up to scrutiny because the
    plot has more holes in it than a Swiss cheese. In truth, the only Bond movie that truly passes muster in this regard is the fabulous FRWL. Adapting the Amis book 'Colonel Sun' could be a good start.

2) A new style of filming action and fight sequences.
    It's clear from this thread that I'm not the only fan bored to death with the fast cut, 'Bourne' technique used in fight sequences and the over use of CGI. What we need is a return to the bone crunching punch up exemplified by Connery when he went head to head with the late, great Robert Shaw on the Orient Express. A good modern day approach to breathtaking action sequences was also used by Steven Soderberg in his underrated movie 'Haywire'.

3)A Saville Row tailor for 007.
    Bond is British for God's sake and it's high time somebody got him a good tailor.
    Frankly, Craig's casual wardrobe in SF looked good but his suits were ridiculous. Having him run around in those 'Pee- Wee Herman' outfits made him look like he was in permanent danger of splitting his pants. Get rid of that dreadful Tom Ford stuff and send him to Anderson & Sheppard for the real deal.
    Think Connery in DN & FRWL and you've nailed it.
    Also, whilst it's on my mind, ditch that crass Omega and get the boy a decent Rolex. It was the only watch 007 ever wore!