HERE BE SPOILERS - Skyfall Codename Conspiracy

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    If the UN made even 1/4th of @Mendes4Lyfe's efforts to prove the codename theory, the fight for world hunger would be over.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    On being awkward, are you about the phone or yourself ? :D

I mean I don't want to type such a post using such a small display and having autocorrect misinterpret what I'm saying.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I believe auto-correct has long given up on this thread. It's probably getting drunk on vodka somewhere.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I have a really crazy theory: Bond is a fictional film series.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Don't kill my dreams man ! :D
  • RC7RC7

He won't kill your dreams, but his dreams might kill you.
    :)) They just might.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    RC7 wrote: »

Hey a DAD quote ..I think. Sounds like one anyway.

• RC7RC7
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »

Hey a DAD quote ..I think. Sounds like one anyway.

Indeed.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    What a fine old time you've all been having while some of us have been working for a living!

Tremendous fun though this is and I hate to be a party pooper by banging on about it but is there any sign of that evidence in the post @Mendes4lyfe?

And by that I don't mean the diseased hallucinations of a sick mind trying to retrofit increasingly desperate and pathetic brainwashing and pushing out of a van hypotheses to try and back up claims that were laughable 3 pages ago buy by this time are getting quite tiresome.

Congrats to you though for giving us all a good laugh in this Bond info drought between films but I think it's probably time the mods put you and this clear case of trolling out of our misery as you obviously taking the piss. Well I really hope for your sake you're taking the piss because otherwise the alternative is you need locking up for the good of society.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited April 2016 Posts: 8,087
    What a fine old time you've all been having while some of us have been working for a living!

Tremendous fun though this is and I hate to be a party pooper by banging on about it but is there any sign of that evidence in the post @Mendes4lyfe?

And by that I don't mean the diseased hallucinations of a sick mind trying to retrofit increasingly desperate and pathetic brainwashing and pushing out of a van hypotheses to try and back up claims that were laughable 3 pages ago buy by this time are getting quite tiresome.

Congrats to you though for giving us all a good laugh in this Bond info drought between films but I think it's probably time the mods put you and this clear case of trolling out of our misery as you obviously taking the piss. Well I really hope for your sake you're taking the piss because otherwise the alternative is you need locking up for the good of society.

If the mods wanted to tell me anything, they are free to do so. I trust their judgement a lot more than yours, so let's leave it up to them, shall we?
    Friedrich Nietzsche once said " There are no facts, just interpretations "
    Like this theory, it has no facts and is all interpretation infact this
    tneory reminds me of a famous french writer, it's a total Balzac ! :))
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    At least the fitting movie is named in this absurd thread's title.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Walecs wrote: »
    By the way, in Tomorrow Never Dies it is explained that Bond actually doesn't speak Japanese and it is clearly stated that he had lied to Moneypenny only to impress her, which explains why he never actually speaks Japanese in You Only Live Twice.

You're thinking of Johnny English.

My apologies, I actually meant in the movie novelization, not the movie itself.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited April 2016 Posts: 4,554
    The only instance in which this codename issue even comes close to making sense is with OHMSS, as has been described in this thread. With Lazenby taking over the role, EON seemed to play loose with this change, even allowing Lazenby's Bond to make reference to "the other fella." WTF was that?

While codename makes little sense, we all have to admit: EON sure did their part with OHMSS to sort of put that out there. It wasn't until 1981, with FYEO, and the gravesite, that EON kind of put that theory to bed* (along with Blofeld as a villain).

*I would love to do some research on what types of "codename" theories that were being built/spread through the 70s, in newspapers and magazines. This would lend weight to any ideas that the grave scene in FYEO was purposeful.
    If the UN made even 1/4th of @Mendes4Lyfe's efforts to prove the codename theory, the fight for world hunger would be over.

:)) =))

Seriously, this thread has to be the most hilarious thing I've ever read, hopefully mods will never lock it.
    TripAces wrote: »
    The only instance in which this codename issue even comes close to making sense is with OHMSS, as has been described in this thread. With Lazenby taking over the role, EON seemed to play loose with this change, even allowing Lazenby's Bond to make reference to "the other fella." WTF was that?

While codename makes little sense, we all have to admit: EON sure did their part with OHMSS to sort of put that out there. It wasn't until 1981, with FYEO, and the gravesite, that EON kind of put that theory to bed* (along with Blofeld as a villain).

*I would love to do some research on what types of "codename" theories that were being built/spread through the 70s, in newspapers and magazines. This would lend weight to any ideas that the grave scene in FYEO was purposeful.

Re OHMSS - it's called breaking the fourth wall.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited April 2016 Posts: 4,554
    tanaka123 wrote: »

Re OHMSS - it's called breaking the fourth wall.

;)

True. But that had never happened in a Bond film before.

BTW...

http://screencrush.com/breaking-the-fourth-wall-movies/
    Absolutely, knocking through, always gives more room. ;)
  • RC7RC7
    edited April 2016 Posts: 10,512
    Theonly instance in which this codename issue even comes close to making sense is with OHMSS, as has been described in this thread. With Lazenby taking over the role, EON seemed to play loose with this change, even allowing Lazenby's Bond to make reference to "the other fella." WTF was that?

'This never happened to the other fella' is a device known as 'breaking the fourth wall'. Lazenby addresses the audience directly, not in character. It can be seen as a bizarre creative choice, but it has no narrative implications. As I have mentioned previously, later in the film there's the scene where Bond goes through his various possessions from previous missions, which is a deliberate device to show the audience that the fictional character you are watching is the same fictional character from the preceding films.

So no, I don't have to admit EON put anything out there. They reference Tracy indirectly in TSLWM, explicitly in FYEO and indirectly again in LTK. All small nods to the audience to indicate the fictional character, while portrayed by different actors, is the same man.

EDIT: Didn't see the above before posting - but glad to see most people understand the fourth wall moment in OHMSS.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bond in YOLT had never been to Japan before, while Bond in FRWL had, so they are clearly not the same person.
  • RC7RC7
    Bond in YOLT had never been to Japan before, while Bond in FRWL had, so they are clearly not the same person.

Ha ha.
    I think Bond was just being polite to Henderson, he even said he liked
    His martini stirred, or was this the mask of an imposter slipping ? ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    So wait, now I'm really confused. Was that really Henderson, or was it in fact Blofeld in disguise as a British expat in Japan, as opposed to in drag as in DAF (post-memory wipe)? @Mendes4Lyfe, any theories?
    I think you may have just Blown his Mind, with that one ! :D
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    This may have already been covered but can I just check - is Blofeld a code name too?

After all there is no plastic surgery in the world good enough to make that scar on Pleasance's face go away and at the end of OHMSS isn't Telly paralysed?

I assume that after each failed SPECTRE scheme Blofeld is killed and then a new one elected - partly because of failure and partly to keep MI6 confused.

I've got no evidence to back it up but there's also nothing in the films to prove I'm wrong so I presume you all believe me.
    I for one, am learning a lot from this thread. It's like the Matrix.
    My perception of reality is being twisted ! :)
    edited April 2016 Posts: 15,690
    Can someone explain how Brosnan became Bond at the same time Dalton already was Bond, since the GE PTS takes place before TLD? Which would mean Dench was M back then, so how was Brown also M at the time? And Brosnan Bond mentions her predecessor, so he knew Brown's M!

YOLT is a prequel. EON decided to film FRWL before YOLT because back then they didn't have the technologies required to film it.
    Trust me, I just know. :D
This discussion has been closed.