Hugh Jackman changed the course of the Bond franchise

edited November 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 4,619
We all know that Daniel Craig asked Mendes at a party if he was interested in directing Bond 23 about 3 years ago. It turns out it was Hugh Jackman's birthday party. Jackman invited not only Daniel Craig (at the time they were working together in the play A Steady Rain) but he also invited Sam Mendes.

If it wasn't for Jackman, there is a good chance we would have a very different Bond 23, John Logan wouldn't be writing Bond 24 and 25, and...
...Fiennes wouldn't be the new M, Wishaw wouldn't be Q and Harris wouldn't be Moneypenny.

:)

Comments

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I thought about it several times already, but I didn't it was his birthday party. I also wonder if Jackman could be up for a part in a future Bond film (not as Bond). I thought he would have made a great Q with Craig, don't know why, but that's impossible now. Perhaps a villain?
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited November 2012 Posts: 3,497
    I'd love to see some more roles for Hugh. I mean, he has the looks & talents, he could play a villain or a sidekick for Bond.

Too bad he overdid his Wolverine thing (which he does great, no matter how mediocre or bad some X-Men movies are), because The Prestige, and I'm pretty sure Les Miserables too, show us what he can do.
  • mdo007mdo007 Katy, Texas
    edited November 2012 Posts: 259
    That's very interesting. I didn't know Hugh Jackman sort of play a role in helping Skyfall what it is now. I wonder if Eon in return will give Jackman a role in the future Bond film (well not as Bond, maybe he could play Bond if something happen to Daniel Craig) like maybe a villain, an allied of Bond (another double O agent maybe). Hugh deserve it!!! :P
    JamesCraig wrote:
    I'd love to see some more roles for Hugh. I mean, he has the looks & talents, he could play a villain or a sidekick for Bond.

Too bad he overdid his Wolverine thing (which he does great, no matter how mediocre or bad some X-Men movies are), because The Prestige, and I'm pretty sure Les Miserables too, show us what he can do.

As much as I like the Wolverine films, I agree. He really does need to move on to something different. He is wasting his talents.
    Right place and right time then i guess? Thanks Hugh! :-bd
  • The new Wolverine film in japan sounds cool. I haven't seen any of the others, or the X men films.
    Sandy wrote:
    I thought he would have made a great Q with Craig, don't know why, but that's impossible now. Perhaps a villain?

He seems like the complete opposite of Q to me, but he could make a great villian.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2012 Posts: 13,350
    A villain would work well. Great actor, why waste all his talent and not let him do a Bond film?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Shouldn't Peter Morgan get some of the credit? He came up with the "big hook."
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Hugh Jackman would make a good 006 for Craig's Bond. ;)
    Murdock wrote:
    Hugh Jackman would make a good 006 for Craig's Bond. ;)

Sean Bean would make a good 006 for Craig's Bond.. wouldn't that really muck things up with people's 'continuity'. Haha
    I did read it on some articles about Hugh Jackman still hold interest of playing 007. He said this.

"Now the actor is waiting for Craig to quit the series so that he can grab the opportunity. "I will just wait. The good thing about Daniel is he's, what, 62 now, isn't he? He's falling apart at the seams. So I just keep telling him, 'I'm ready, whenever you want to let him go, I'm ready'," he said."

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/296760/regret-not-doing-bond-role.html

So if anything happen to Daniel Craig, I wouldn't mind Hugh Jackman take over as 007 (I like to see a second Australian taking a role as 007), I hope he can still retain DC's grittyness and realism if he take over as Bond from DC. It should be sort of a return favor for helping the Bond franchise.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited December 2012 Posts: 40,492
    Jackman would never take over as 007, mainly because of his fame now.
    Creasy47 wrote:

He already had fame when he became famous for playing Wolverine and he was still offered to play Bond while he was still famous.
    We all know that Daniel Craig asked Mendes at a party if he was interested in directing Bond 23 about 3 years ago. It turns out it was Hugh Jackman's birthday party. Jackman invited not only Daniel Craig (at the time they were working together in the play A Steady Rain) but he also invited Sam Mendes.

If it wasn't for Jackman, there is a good chance we would have a very different Bond 23, John Logan wouldn't be writing Bond 24 and 25, and...
    ...Fiennes wouldn't be the new M, Wishaw wouldn't be Q and Harris wouldn't be Moneypenny.

:)

So, Jackman must have
    the death of M playing on his conscience.

mdo007 wrote:
    I did read it on some articles about Hugh Jackman still hold interest of playing 007. He said this.

"Now the actor is waiting for Craig to quit the series so that he can grab the opportunity. "I will just wait. The good thing about Daniel is he's, what, 62 now, isn't he? He's falling apart at the seams. So I just keep telling him, 'I'm ready, whenever you want to let him go, I'm ready'," he said."

So if anything happen to Daniel Craig, I wouldn't mind Hugh Jackman take over as 007 (I like to see a second Australian taking a role as 007), I hope he can still retain DC's grittyness and realism if he take over as Bond from DC. It should be sort of a return favor for helping the Bond franchise.

This was tongue in cheek - as buddies joke with each other. Just watch his vid for the Britannia awards.
  • I wouldn't want an antipodean playing Bond. Ok it worked for Lazenby as a one off but that was in the 1960s, and he did a good job, but on to present time, just feel it inappropriate now above all else. Bond should ideally, once again, be portrayed by a British actor. I hope Jackman is never offered the part, and moving into his mid 40s, seems a bit old now for a debut performance if it ever occurs, which I hope it doesn't
    mdo007 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

He already had fame when he became famous for playing Wolverine and he was still offered to play Bond while he was still famous.

He was never offered the part. Watch the PC for CR, where Wilson actually says, the only actor the role was offered to, was DC. They just had to screen test others, because they could not convince him right away.
    edited December 2012 Posts: 259
    Germanlady wrote:
    mdo007 wrote:

This was tongue in cheek - as buddies joke with each other. Just watch his vid for the Britannia awards.

Yes, but he wasn't joking on the last part. He was serious about playing Bond in an interview.
    Germanlady wrote:
    mdo007 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

He was never offered the part. Watch the PC for CR, where Wilson actually says, the only actor the role was offered to, was DC. They just had to screen test others, because they could not convince him right away.

Could be true, but Michael Wilson might have forgotten to mention him when it comes to actors before DC to play Bond. It looks like somebody at EON may have been eyeing Jackman as Bond for quite a while. Hugh Jackman said in an interview that he got a call from his agent about playing Bond.

"I got a call from my agent saying, 'There is some possible interest in you for Bond, are you interested?'" Hugh Jackman told the Press Association during a recent stop of a promotional tour

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/19/hugh-jackman-james-bond-r_n_1019552.html

I wouldn't mind Jackman as Bond, but if he plays Bond, he'll have to retain the dark, gritty, serious Bond like DC portray him.

• I'd actually like to see Jackman play 007. If his gritty-yet-comical take on Wolverine is any indication, I think he'd do a good job playing the Roger Moore to Craig's Sean Connery, so to speak.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    I could see him in a bit part. Maybe as 008 or something. I always rather liked the implied rivalry between 008 and Bond and would love to see that played out somehow. Introducing Jackman as another 00 in a briefing might be amusing. Fiennes could be ushering him out the door on one mission as Bond flirts with Moneypenny.
  • I think Hugh Jackman would have made a good James Bond. I think if Hugh Jackman was casted as 007, he would have brought a dark & grittier element to James Bond like Sir Timothy Dalton.
    I think Hugh Jackman would have made a good James Bond. I think if Hugh Jackman was casted as 007, he would have brought a dark & grittier element to James Bond like Sir Timothy Dalton.

It's a shame Craig didn't do that with his Bond ;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited December 2012 Posts: 40,492
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I think Hugh Jackman would have made a good James Bond. I think if Hugh Jackman was casted as 007, he would have brought a dark & grittier element to James Bond like Sir Timothy Dalton.

It's a shame Craig didn't do that with his Bond ;)

Exactly what I was thinking! I wish Craig brought a nice dark and gritty feel to his movies in the Bond canon. Shame.

Oh, wait...
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I guess Jackman might play a role again in changing the course of the franchise, he's being honoured tonight and Daniel Craig is attending together with a certain Bond-fan movie director. The last time Craig and a famous director met at a Jackman party :>
    Yup, DC is gonna hire his next director ;) , but something of the idea of Nolan and Bond doesn't ring right for me. I am probably stupid, but can't help it.
  • I think that Jackman could have been a nice bridge between the charm of Brosnan and the toughness and acting chops of Craig. Of course, that's just speculation...
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I think that Jackman could have been a nice bridge between the charm of Brosnan and the toughness and acting chops of Craig. Of course, that's just speculation...
    I agree 100%

I often read, that Babs dismissed him as too fey.
  • Germanlady wrote:
    I often read, that Babs dismissed him as too fey.

That seems pretty funny considering his performance as Wolverine, but it's interesting how different Jackman can seem when just being himself. I recall seeing a bit with him where he was enthusing about Broadway musicals and starting singing a song - a lot of people would never believe that this guy could play Wolverine convincingly. That's a huge problem for a lot of actors, when people make a quick judgement without letting a person actually try out a performance.

In the past, I used to say that if you met Steve Martin and saw how quiet and serious he was in person you would never believe that he could perform his "wild and crazy guy" act so well. The same thing with Robin Williams - would anyone believe that someone so manic and ADD could give such a subtle and restrained performance as he did in Awakenings?

Interestingly, when CR came out there was an interview with Craig where he was being very...giggly and talking about a couple of "chick films" that he liked (Grease? I can't remember). I remember being shocked at how this badass guy was so different from what I saw on screen, and that made his performance all the more impressive! With Connery you get the feeling he was just being Connery, with Craig it's actually performance!

• LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    He SHOULD have been 007 ! But "it's never too late".

@Goldeneye95 : Alright to me as well ! Especially after watching Nolan's "The Prestige" (a great film BTW, I felt Dalton in his acting) and "Australia" (in the white dinner jacket O_O :D ; I thought I was seeing Connery's Goldfinger)

@thelordflasheart : good speculation ;)

I totally don't care wether Bond would be Australian or not, as long as he's (Great) British... He's definitely a huge actor and must play at least once in 007 (If not the main roel, as 009 would be interesting too)

I really hope it would happen !