How legit is this article? Daily Mail: "Craig: DESPERATE to leave 007 franchise"

Comments

Something tells me Craig's sense of humor has been twisted around. If there's one thing I can tell from Craig, is that he loves the role and he truly cares about it and considers himself lucky
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Yeah this totally feels 100% off from what I've heard/read. With UK websites, you just don't know.
    This story now seems to be everywhere- DC to be on the Rolling Stone cover week of 11/22

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/281268/Daniel-Craig-wants-to-quit-as-007-James-Bond/
    Read the article and it is mainly mentions of what a hit it has been worldwide - which is journalistic padding.

Anyone who has watched DC the last couple of weeks knows he loves the job and knows how lucky he is. He also has a very black wry sense of humour which the DM has twisted around.

Its a shame the DM cant go the way of the News of the World.
    Of course, this is bullocks and sheds a bad ight on him, but they won't do anyting about it. The the bloody crap papers and it will not be the last we hear from them.

What he did say is, that contracts are not worth the paper they are written on and that he does want to see, how this one is going.

He loves being on a Bond set more then anything else and is very proud to be part of the francise.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 6,601
    There’s nothing like it. It’s a real privilege and an honor just to be around that.

Daniel Craig on sticking with Bond.

I get a huge kick out of doing this and I can see doing another film. The whole point of this is they take such a chunk out of your life. I’m contracted to two, by the way, which is fairly common. I can see the next one. Beyond that, there’s so much work involved, bringing it together. I’d love to do another movie. That’s what I’m trying to say in a very roundabout way.

http://www.craveonline.com/film/interviews/199480-daniel-craig-on-skyfall
  • oo7oo7
    edited November 2012 Posts: 1,068
    "And he even dismissed it saying he would happily 'wipe a**' with his contract.
    He told the publication: 'I’ve been trying to get out of this from the very moment I got into it.
    'But they won’t let me go, and I’ve agreed to do a couple more, but let’s see how this one does, because business is business and if the **** goes down, I’ve got a contract that somebody will happily wipe their a** with.'"

even for a hack this is bad, they used the quote out of context then a few lines later states how he said if this films a flop he might be thrown out hence his contact being used to wipe arse.

very poor attempt to gather hits on a website, i think we would be better off closing this thread and line of discussion in favour of not feeding this website more views
  • "How legit this this article?"

Me: What article?

"The Daily Mail-

Me: Chances are it's BS.
    Germanlady wrote:
    Of course, this is bullocks

It's bollocks ;)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Oh dear is all I have to say.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 13
    How legit is this article?

Well let's see...

Daily Mail

*preparing self for bullcrap*

"Craig DESPERATE to leave 007 franchise"

Yep, bullcrap. You can take anything out of context just by putting it in writing. Strip away the tone the quote was given, the setting, the humour (and we know Craig has a wicked sense of humour after his SNL appearance) and you get A STORY!

Just look at this interview from Craig with the BBC earlier in the year, you can clearly see he's in his element talking about the character, his role and his eagerness to stay in the part. "I'll keep going until they tell me to stop." That's all we need to know. This is your usual tired tabloid trash. Pitiful journalism.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 12,837
    MDCarterUK wrote:
    Yep, bullcrap.

You kind of just stole my gag but added a bit :P
    MDCarterUK wrote:
    (and we know Craig has a wicked sense of humour after his SNL appearance)

I thought that was meant to have been terrible?
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    MDCarterUK wrote:
    (and we know Craig has a wicked sense of humour after his SNL appearance)

I fault the writing... not Craig himself.... SNL as a show hasn't been funny since the 90s with Chris Farley, David Spade, Chris Rock, Adam Sandler, Phil Hartman, Dana Carvey, Mike Myers, Kevin Nealon, Dennis Miller and Rob Schneider... that was arguably their greatest cast ever, and the writers were top notch...... it's spiraled downhill since

• You kind of just stole my gag but added a bit :P

After I hit "Post" and saw yours I thought "Aww heck." Let's just go for the great minds, etc way of thinking. :P

It certainly wasn't a masterclass in comedy (although I loved the opening monologue, the rest was pretty cack and DC only appears to have one comedy American accent) but just to get up and do the thing shows he likes a laugh to me.
    I agree that the DM has taken the whole "Craig would happily 'wipe a**' with his contract" out of context, though it does correct itself 2 paragraphs later by giving the full quote in context to the situation. However, this piece comes via Rolling Stone magazine so he obviously voiced and had misgivings on whether he wanted to continue in the role after such a long gap. My guess is he'll do one more even though he's contracted to do 2 and Eon will probably look for a replacement with the notion of rescinding his contract for the last one. If they can't find a suitable replacement then they might push for Craig making Bond 25. It'll probably depend on what shape Craig is in and whether he feels up for the challenge, not to mention how successful Bond 24 might turn out to be.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    Well it wasn't just the DM as I just saw this story on Good Morning America and E! News both referring to the RS article, and making it sound that DC wants to leave the role.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    It's everywhere, and I'm sure DC is shaking his head and smiling to himself that he can't have a bit of fun with critics without them reproducing this sort of rubbish as absolute cast iron truth.

I can picture him saying it now with his tongue firmly in cheek.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    What I don't understand is the amount of people who print a story like this, knowing it's not true.
    Javier Bardem as 007....gimme a break! He can't get rid of his accent.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    It's just so surreal that every time a new Bond film comes out, the media completely lose their heads and get all crazy.
    Daniel? Hi, it's Barbara. Say, you got a minute? Tell U why I called.........
    COMPLETE BS! Nuff said!
    Daily Mail is really just Daily S***
  • Daily Mail is really just Daily S***

Ahem to that!
    it's also mentioned in the I paper too, seems to stem from comments in the next Rolling Stone magazine states Craig says "I have been trying to get out of this from the moment I got into it..." but if you read the whole piece in the paper it does sound tongue in cheek
    Daily Mail is really just Daily S***

Ahem to that!

And this is the same paper that published photos of a 14 year old girl in a bikini.

It needs to be shut down.

• edited November 2012 Posts: 1,661
    I've never liked the guy as James Bond (seems a decent enough bloke, though) but if this is true it would have been nice for him to have shown a little more gratitude. Without Bond he'd be just another actor with less fame and fortune. Someone on another site said there is another source for this 'news' so who knows, it might be true.

If there is any truth to this then I think he should quit, even if he breaks the contract. A contract, even a legally binding one, can be broken. I remember actress Kim Basinger pulling out of a film:

" Her financial difficulties were exacerbated when she pulled out of the controversial film Boxing Helena, resulting in the studio's winning an US$8.1 million judgment against her." (Wikipedia)

There could be legal ramifications if Craig reneges on his contract. I doubt there would be too much problem because the Bond franchise is box office proof and Eon and MGM would hype Bond 24 with the new actor. I'm sure Bond 24 will be as big, or even bigger, than Skyfall!

As for Craig, there's no point having an actor playing the part if he had enough. 3 films is a decent enough tally and most people seem to accept him in the role so I think history will be kind to him and his contribution to the franchise.

I've never been a Daniel Craig James Bond fan but I think he's tried his best and he's always promoted the films and been pleasant in tv interviews.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    doubleoego wrote:
    It's just so surreal that every time a new Bond film comes out, the media completely lose their heads and get all crazy.

It's because they're desperate to sell newspapers - especially nowadays with print advertising in decline and therefore print publishing and newspapers themselves in decline. Hence why you get pathetic scandals like phone-tapping in the UK.

Yet more fail from The Daily Fail...

• edited November 2012 Posts: 1,661
    I think these articles could be deemed as libel. If they are false Craig would have strong legal grounds to sue for damages - for defamation of character. Craig's legal team would argue "my client, Mr Craig, never said he wanted to quit the James Bond franchise and your erroneous comments/claims have damaged his reputation."

I think they could win too!

However, if these claims are true, well, that means we got a James Bond actor who's had enough of playing the role.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    fanbond123 wrote:
    I think these articles could be deemed as libel. If they are false Craig would have strong legal grounds to sue for damages - for defamation of character. Craig's legal team would argue "my client, Mr Craig, never said he wanted to quit the James Bond franchise and your erroneous comments/claims have damaged his reputation."

I think they could win too!

There'd be no point - sections of the media would only take the opportunity to twist the story it'd generate and make him look petty and sore, which genuinely would damage his public character.

Plus, the backers of The Mail are so wealthy such a libel case would do little to dent their pockets, which is why the UK tabloids don't mind being sued now and again (producing a story that'll end up going down that route is almost like a 'loss-leader' to them)...