The Monuments Men

edited October 2012 in News Posts: 6,601
http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/george-clooney-sets-daniel-craig-bill-murray-cate-blanchett-jean-dujardin-for-wwii-drama-monuments-men/
EXCLUSIVE: What a killer cast George Clooney has put together for The Monuments Men, the period drama he will direct in a coproduction between Sony Pictures and 20th Century Fox. Clooney will star with Skyfall‘s Daniel Craig, Bill Murray, Cate Blanchett, The Artist’s Jean Dujardin, Argo‘s John Goodman, Hugh Bonneville and Bob Balaban.

The drama, which was scripted by Clooney and partner Grant Heslov, confronts the final chapter of Germany’s rule, which came down to the absolute destruction of everything that makes a culture keep its standing, including the lives that are lost and the sacrifices that are made. All of this is in danger of being lost forever as Hitler and the Nazis try to cover the tracks of a murderous regime. A crew of art historians and museum curators unite to recover renown works of art that were stolen by Nazis before Hitler destroys them.

The film will begin production March 1 in Europe. Heslov is producing through their Smoke House banner. Alexander Desplat is doing the score, and the crew is the same as from the Ben Affleck-directed Argo, which Clooney and Heslov produced and Desplat did the score. That latter film finished number one in the box office standing in its third weekend. Granted it was not a strong weekend, but Argo became the first film to do that since The Blind Side.

Comments

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    How interesting! I would say this has a monumental cast (pun intended).
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited October 2012 Posts: 13,350
    This seems to be Craig's only film before Bond 24 then? It sounds very good. I'll look out for it.

It makes the Dragon Tattoo sequels even less likely.
    They are still not cancled, but of course, none of the actors can just sit around waiting for Fincher or whoever to make up his mind. I also think, this sounds interesting. Might wrap in May/June, so there is enough time for a break.
    It sounds very, very interested, I had heard of this story before. In a strange way this reminded me of 'Allo 'Allo! though I don't think the list of art pieces in this film will include a rare cukoo clock and a paiting called The Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies 8-}
    Clooney told TheWrap that while "Monuments Men" would be commercial, it also "has something to say."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/29/george-clooneys-monuments-men-daniel-craig-bill-murray_n_2039142.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment#sf
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Craig said in an iterview that is reprising the role of Mikael Blomvist is dead in the water. He said he didn't know why but it was over.
    Shardlake wrote:
    Craig said in an iterview that is reprising the role of Mikael Blomvist is dead in the water. He said he didn't know why but it was over.

when did he say this?
    Last thing I heard about it was, that he was still trying to convince Fincher to do it.
    Personally I would like someone else do it.
    The last I heard from the Millenium films is that they were doing them, haven't seen a schedule associated though.
    Perhaps with the way Skyfall is performing at the Box office? They want more Bond instead?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Shardlake wrote:

Not sure where you got this information from but it makes sense. All we've heard now for over a year is "we're moving forward with them". Well you aren't if there isn't any news on them! They take such a long time to make that they wouldn't be released for years anyway.

I'd rather have him do Bond films instead.
    First look at the trailer

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Goodman and Murray. I'm in.
    http://www.slashfilm.com/the-monuments-men-trailer-what-if-oceans-eleven-met-in-world-war-ii/

I just hope the movie comes together a bit better than this trailer did. What we see above isn’t bad by any stretch, but it feels like it’s missing that one bit of magic that makes everything click.
    Boy, what a casting! It is definitely on my list. I vow a cult-like adoration to Cate Blanchett, so if only for her I would watch it.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I love Cate, too. I do plan on seeing this one. I wish Daniel had been able to be in it. I like Clooney more and more. He is really on a good path these last few years.