Purvis & Wade out - John Logan in for Bond 24

Comments

damn! its a good day to be a bond geek! :-)
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 2,598
    DELETED.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 2,598
    Getafix wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    But these artsy directors do like to take their time.

thats the difference between a film directed by John Glen - and one directed by Sam Mendes

Not sure what you mean, but in my book Glen is a Bond legend. Maintaining the quality he did over 5 back to back films is some achievement. And, with the exception of AVTAK (which still has its moments), they are 5 of the best IMO.

Mendes has had a long time to make SF good. I haven't seen it yet but everything point towards it being very good. However, I'd be even more impressed if Mendes was able to knock out a FYEO, OP, TLD and LTK... all within 8-9 years.

Now that's what I call entertainment!

I don't want to wait 4 years for every film. It's just not right.

People have singled out TND and QoS for being rushed, which is true, but IMO they have a fast paced and enjoyable quality because of that. TND is IMO the best Brosnan and I preferred QoS to the slightly over-long CR.

I agree. Why the hell are some so hard on John Glen? I thought he made good Bond films.

It certainly is good news Logan working on Bond 24 if SF is as good as people say but I won't be getting my hopes up too much. P & W brought a Flemingsque element back to the series and did something different which was missing from GE and TND. Sure, their dialogue was pretty terrible at times but I in other areas I believe they were a good influence on the series. I'd like to see what Logan comes up with by himself first before waxing lyrical about how wonderful it is that P & W have left the franchise. No doubt Logan will write a good yarn with nice character development and a few twists and turns thrown in maybe.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 11,425
    HASEROT wrote:
    first point...
    Getafix wrote:
    I accept your point, but you almost seem to imply that it's irrelevant who does the camera work and/or the sets. My argument is that as a collaborative process, a good cameraman and production designer are equally responsible for the look and feel of the film.

That couldn't be farther from the truth - it matters a great deal who your camera men and DP are... imagine you are shooting a movie, and you need to hire a Director Of Photography and his crew... are you going to pick someone like Roger Deakins? or Dean Cundy? or Wally Pfister?... or someone who shoots one of those lousy SyFy Channel movies??..... picture it also like someone who needs a bit of graphic design work done - they have a computer in front of them, but they may not know how to use photoshop to create what they want as much as someone who is a professional at it - so they go out and hire said professional to help them out..... do you get what i am saying?.... there are some directors who are their own DPs (Robert Rodriguez is one of them), but the majority of them hire DPs who can take what they visualize in their head - as well as in storyboards, and visually put it together in front of a camera... some DPs are better at doing it than others - which why you'll hear the names i mentioned above a lot when it comes to filmmaking.... and yes, you are right, a good cameraman and production designer are equally responsible for the look and feel of the film - but that look and feel usually 99% of the time starts from 1 place - the director... he tells the DP "hey this that and the other needs to happen in this scene." - the DP then takes that, tells the cameramen how the cameras need to be setup, he then tells the various other people (like grips, gaffers set dressers) what needs to go where, and they follow his instruction...
    Getafix wrote:
    A director like Hitchcock practically designed and conceived of every shot, but I don't believe a director like (say) Mendes will have had the same extreme level of control as that. He will have relied heavily on his team to achieve his vision.

Hitchcock didn't operate the cameras - he didn't rig all the lighting himself - he didn't go through and set dress every little detail of each scene in his films... he relied heavily on his crew just as much as any other director would...

I do really wonder what you think a director on a film does??.. do you think he only yells "action" and "cut" on a scene??...... there is countless COUNTLESS hours of preproduction that goes into a movie that you don't see - that is where storyboarding usually happens - and i guarantee you Mendes did a lot of work with storyboards, in creating and conceiving those shots on paper beforehand - almost every director does - most will hire a storyboard artist (because they are lousy drawers lol), but some like Zach Snyder will do all their storyboards themselves... it helps not only the director and DP get on the same page, and what they'll need for certain scenes in terms of lighting, camera placement and whatnot - but also for set design.... the director will usually sit down with the production designer, explain to him what he envisions for a particular set - and then the production designer will sketch out a few ideas - if the director likes them, they run with it - but he can also ask for changes to be made to better achieve his vision.... it's then the designer's job to create what the director sees in his head - once that is done, the production designer goes off and does his thing with creating what he and director agreed upon into a full scale set on a studio lot...

the fact that you called Mendes an Auteur - and then to make the statement saying "i don't believe a director like Mendes will have had the same extreme level of control." is completely contradictory - thats what an Auteur does!!! lol.
    Getafix wrote:
    I'm not sure how much design work you've done, but if you don't mind me patronising you for a moment, there are a hundred different ways in which a designer can interpret a brief, and different production designers can often deliver very different interpretations of a director's 'vision'.

Lol.

i've done plenty of design work - enough to know that it's a collaborative process between the designer and the customer - and enough to know that in the end, it's what the customer wants that wins out, not what i want.. and thats the point i am stressing here - but you don't seem to understand...

.. whatever the production designer comes up with, must be approved by the director... do u think a director just lets a designer 'wing it'?... no - the director tells him what he wants to see, and the designer does it... now - often times, the designer will add his own creative input into the details, afterall, he is a designer.... but the designer just doesn't come up with whatever, and that is what the director is stuck with using... if the production designer comes up with lousy designs that are not in line with the director wants, then he'll be let go - and the director will find another production designer....

I think you're splitting hairs. I'm fully aware what the director is supposed to do. My point about Hitchcock is that (according to the myth he created anyway) he storyboarded scenes to such a degree that he did not even have to look through the camera because he'd already fully conveived the shot. I was contrasing Mendes with this (probably untrue) Hitchcock myth that the director fully conceives of and controls the entire creative process. In reality most directors, in collaboration with their colleagues will continue tweaking or even significantly changing elements until the last minute. Now, with CGI, I suppose you could say that process doesn't ever really end.

Yes a designer might give a client what he wants, but my point is you could give 100 production designers the same brief and their designs will all be either radically or subtly different. So this idea that what we see on screen is the precise recreation of one man's creative vision is essentially nonsense. Yes I refered to Mendes as an 'auteur' but in order contrast him with the hack for hire traditiom of the series, not in the belief that any one actually believes in auteur theory. I thought that had all been debunked a long time ago.

Not only this, but the fact is that most Bond directors, until recently, don't seem to have had much choice over their production team. They were hacks who were hired in to deliver a product. Ken Adam doubtless worked with Terence Young and Guy Hamilton, but what they all got was a Ken Adam set, whether that's what they asked for or not. If you can't recognise that Ken Adam's individual input was as significant an element in the creation of those early Bond films as the directors then we're clearly never going to agree.

The whole reason that an auteur type director is going to want to work with a specific production designer is because they will have confidence in that designer's ability to either correctly intepret their vision or bring ideas to the table to complement what they are trying to achieve.

I suspect that in reality there are a multitude of different creative collective decisions and collaborations that take place between the director and the team that lead to the final product. I suspect the occassions when it is a one way street of director simply dictating his vision are either a) rare or b) creatively not conducive to producing very good films.

And we haven't even got onto location scouts, costume designers, make up artists, casting directors... but sure, what a film looks like is all down to one guy and his secret powers of telepathy.

I'm just glad that Logan is getting recognition for SF. It started to irritate me how everyone praised Mendes for making a great movie. I was thinking "Hello! Let's give the person who wrote it some credit too!"
    marymoss wrote:
    I'm just glad that Logan is getting recognition for SF. It started to irritate me how everyone praised Mendes for making a great movie. I was thinking "Hello! Let's give the person who wrote it some credit too!"

Haserot will probably have you believe he wrote the screenplay too... and the theme tune...

Infact Mendes is a veritable Dennis Waterman.

• Can someone who has seen SF tell me if it's as good as the critics say i can't make it till next week and i want to avoid spoilers on the review thread thanks.
  • If Mendes and Logan come back for Bond 24 then that's me and Bond over and out :(

I'm sorry but if you take bond character too seriously you just look abut like a horses ass.

CR stayed the right side of the line but I think they crossed it with Skyfall
    RyanKint wrote:
    If Mendes and Logan come back for Bond 24 then that's me and Bond over and out :(

I'm sorry but if you take bond character too seriously you just look abut like a horses ass.

u saw it today?
    craigrules wrote:
    Can someone who has seen SF tell me if it's as good as the critics say i can't make it till next week and i want to avoid spoilers on the review thread thanks.

Yes it's a good'un.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    RyanKint wrote:
    If Mendes and Logan come back for Bond 24 then that's me and Bond over and out :(

You're talking rubbish.
  • tqbtqb
    http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/gladiator-scribe-john-logan-to-write-next-two-james-bond-films/

He's finalizing deal to write 2 movies, that will have a story arc.
    tqb wrote:
    http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/gladiator-scribe-john-logan-to-write-next-two-james-bond-films/

QUANTUM IS BACK! HOORAY!
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 2,189
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    tqb wrote:

QUANTUM IS BACK! HOORAY!

Awesome! A two film story-ark involving Quantum, this must mean that Blofeld will be coming back to the series! SO excited!!!
  • craigrules wrote:
    Can someone who has seen SF tell me if it's as good as the critics say i can't make it till next week and i want to avoid spoilers on the review thread thanks.

I thought it was amazing but not the best one ever, but that's me, not you. Just wait n make up your own mind when you see it.
  • craigrules wrote:

I thought it was amazing but not the best one ever, but that's me, not you. Just wait n make up your own mind when you see it.

Ditto

A great film but not best bond.

Top 10 probably.

A few too many inconsistencies for my liking.

The villain did NOTHING for me nor the Bond girl.

Cubby was always against rebooting. While I LOVE CR and have supported the reboot this film opened a can of worms. Bond 24 needs to use the new established characters and just move on. Stop looking back to bonds past and have an engaging story. Quantum and mr white would be a great way to go.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited October 2012 Posts: 4,399
    @Getafix.... i originally posted a great deal more.... but i am not going to engage anymore in this one sided discussion, with someone who is obviously immature, and doesn't know their subject matter beyond wikipedia.... i have no problem with you - but if you're going to be childish about it, then good day.
    Two story arc once again. But this time with planning and no writers strike, we could have something special on our hands
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    bondbat007 wrote:
    Two story arc once again. But this time with planning and no writers strike, we could have something special on our hands
    I'm restraing myself from DOING a big " YAHOOOOO!!!" here.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Just like I thought. The contracts had been signed long ago for Logan's two film deal. Nice to know he's getting started on both straight away. So happy.
    What makes people bypass hope and straight on to certainty that Logan will reintroduce Blofeld?
    Wishfull thinking. Would be the same as a couple of Sherlockians wanting Moriarty to return.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Logan made a throw away joke and everyone is taking it at face value.
    edited October 2012 Posts: 11,139
    Speaking of moriarty I think Jarred Harris would make a superb Bond villain.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    tqb wrote:

QUANTUM IS BACK! HOORAY!

Awesome! A two film story-ark involving Quantum, this must mean that Blofeld will be coming back to the series! SO excited!!!

The return of Quantum is a big 'meh' as far as I'm concerned as they have been somewhat underwhelming thus far IMO.

I'm far more perturbed by this expectation that Blofeld will return as I think we could be heading down a slippery slope here. OK we have got a new M,Q and MP but thats been done before and can be overlooked but once we get a new Blofeld for things to conclude logically it means we have to have a new Tracy and then we are straying into remake territory which I'm not sure is particularly wise. Dont get me wrong a big YOLT style romp with Blofeld holding the world to ransom for Bond 24 and then a remake of OHMSS by Mendes with Craigs Bond getting married is certainly a mouthwatering prospect but I would just like to urge caution.

That said if we got a big balls out YOLT/TSWLM style film, a remade OHMSS and then a fairly faithful to Flemings YOLT with Bond devastated by the loss of Tracy all starring Daniel Craig and with someone like Malkovitch as Blofeld then I couldnt complain.
    Then they could lead into the assassination attempt on M as the PTS of Bond 27 with a new Bond. Actually I think I'm talking myself out of my own argument!!! Bring it on!!
    mnhettia wrote:
    damn! its a good day to be a bond geek! :-)
    YES!!!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I think Blofeld should be left well alone, Quantum if Logan has a way to make them look more dynamic, I watched QOS last night and thought I'd gladly see Jesper Christensen back, Mr White is great in his brief moments "Tosca's not for everyone"

It would seem a shame to just forget about them, I don't believe SF is a reboot as some of the reviews are saying we are on the same time line as CR & QOS it's just we've had some time since and Bond is a more seasoned 007.

The 2 film arc is interesting though and I think remaking or even going slightly down the road of attempting a OHMSS for the Craig era is something I wouldn't support. I think Logan needs to strike on his own, definitely continue to mine Fleming for ideas but remaking is not a good idea, if Quantum is over then so be it but I feel they still have potential and I don't see the Craig or any future Bond for sometime regressing back into the Moore era shenanigans, Craig's Bond will stay relatively grounded just with a more lightness of touch that was evident in Skyfall.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Blofeld is a relic of the past... and he should stay there.
    HASEROT wrote:
    Nah, REBOOT him!

edited October 2012 Posts: 4,399
    chrisisall wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:
    Nah, REBOOT him!

lol.. i would rather see new 'super villains' than the same one rehashed.... and frankly, the concept of Blofeld works better in the time period in which he existed - not so sure it would work in today's world - but who knows....... if he comes back eventually - then cool... but personally, i would rather him stay where he is at.