Daniel Craig is a 'badass hero' says Favreau

MI6MI6 Administrator
edited April 2011 in News Posts: 677
Jon Favreau has revealed that he cast Daniel Craig in Cowboys & Aliens because he can play a "badass hero" -- reports <a href = "http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a312601/jon-favreau-daniel-craig-is-a-badass-hero.html"; target = "_blank">Digital Spy</a>.

The film, which is a modern update of the classic Western, co-stars Harrison Ford as one of the residents of the desert town attacked by aliens.

Craig is to play the gun-toting stranger who becomes the only hope the town has of fighting off the unknown forces.

Speaking to Latino Review, Favreau said: "Though Daniel Craig has never been a Western gunfighter, he has been James Bond. He has been the lead in crime dramas, like Layer Cake.

"He understands the nature of what it is to be a badass hero."

The actor replaced Robert Downey Jr last year in the sci-fi drama, after the latter dropped out to star in the sequel to Sherlock Holmes.

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I'm very much looking forward to this film and I think the critcs may be right in thinking Cowboys & Aliens will be the best film of the Summer. Craig and Ford is reason enough to see it for me. Hopefully it spawns a series, Craig will be busy then!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Samuel001 wrote: »
    I'm very much looking forward to this film and I think the critcs may be right in thinking Cowboys & Aliens will be the best film of the Summer. Craig and Ford is reason enough to see it for me. Hopefully it spawns a series, Craig will be busy then!

Not quite.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    LOL

Wasn't it the flop of the year. The acting was awful.
    badass my ass. boreass would be the term for it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The first part is actually brilliant, when it is just a regular western. When the aliens show up, it goes down the drain.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    It wasn't greatly directed. I liked it first, but it just dragged itself down later on. More thought should have been given.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I actually watched it for the first time on the weekend.
    One of the worst films I can recall seeing. Very bad.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I liked it.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    On seeing it I couldn't help wishing they'd made it as a standard western, but agree
    it's just not very good.
    Make it like a Spaghetti Western, and you're on it.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Yea, not my favorite film. Learned Craig can't do an American accent.
    Actually, he wasn't bad delivering the accent.

It was just the writing that wasn't that good, and like @Thunderfinger said, the first half of the film was rather good. It just didn't live up to the expectations...

Now, if Craig would do a proper Spaghetti Western film, I'll enjoy the heck out of it.
    Craig badass. Film bad. Make film cowboy film. Not bad comic book film.

Me like it when cowboy film before turn ufo film.

Craig make real cowbiy film. Me like spaghetti for a few dollars morre. No good, bad and aliens.
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Craig badass. Film bad. Make film cowboy film. Not bad comic book film.

Me like it when cowboy film before turn ufo film.

Craig make real cowbiy film. Me like spaghetti for a few dollars morre. No good, bad and aliens.

Are you ok ?

LOL

Wasn't it the flop of the year. The acting was awful.
    badass my ass. boreass would be the term for it.

It was dire. Craig cannot carry big action movies apart from bond
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    The film was dire but Craig was decent in it. He's a really great lead in Defiance and carries the film.
    I think he is just unfortune, when picking up roles outside of Bond. Cowboys and Aliens would be shit with any other actor too. Not his fault that movie is bad.

It's premise alone is stupid and it's boringly executed.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm like the only one here who enjoyed Cowboys and Aliens.
    I didn't enjoy it either, but it has nothing to do with DC. The "beloved" Elba just had a terrible flop. Forgot the name of the movie, but there you go. He will have a hit with Towers, I suppose. It all depends on the film, NOT the actor.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I didn't think it was that bad. Bit disappointing considering the talent involved but the first half was pretty good and Craig was fine in it.
    You know? Now, that I thought of it, the role that was given to Elba (differing from its source material, of course) in The Dark Tower could have suited Craig greatly. He'd have made a great Roland Deschain.
    He was in discussion for it, when they started to think about it back then. VBlue eyed gunslinger is more Craig then Elba for sure.
    Definitely!
    But then again - this year or rather the next year, Hollywood has to prove, they are so not recist, so I am very sure, to get an Oscar nod, two things are necessary - to NOT be white and to have done a halfway decent job in a halfway decent movie. You will see, they gonna shower them with awards. And to take Elba for this role, might have to do with it. Not that he won't be good, no doubt.
    That, also, is true.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Germanlady wrote: »
    But then again - this year or rather the next year, Hollywood has to prove, they are so not recist, so I am very sure, to get an Oscar nod, two things are necessary - to NOT be white and to have done a halfway decent job in a halfway decent movie. You will see, they gonna shower them with awards. And to take Elba for this role, might have to do with it. Not that he won't be good, no doubt.

Most of what you've written is not only ridiculous but shows you don't even understand the issue that's permeated within Hollywood for so long.
    We will talk about it after the Oscars. Its far from ridiculous.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited November 2016 Posts: 11,139
    Like I said most of what you said is ridiculous and talk after the Oscars? You don't seem to be remotely ready to have a conversation on the matter; period.