The Score of Skyfall

Comments

• edited September 2012 Posts: 11,119
    Thanks mates. But I am getting bit nervous now. The Bond music for me is....in fact the most exciting part of a year when a new Bond film premieres. I am in desperate need of Oscar material for a Bond movie. And I hope that this time around it'll be the music.

I can't wait to hear Newman's rendition of Monty Norman's Bond theme. I can't wait to hear a little bit more sincere drama and romance in the Bond score. I can't wait to hear the best Bond song in decades; a song with an unforgettable melody, composed by Thomas Newman, sang by Adele.

So when do you guys think we can pick up the first leaked material from the Bond score?? I think by working so much in advance for this Bond movie (early november 2011), the Bond score must have been mixed and edited by now no?
    As was posted in the other score thread: we might have 28 seconds of "leaked" music already!

I extracted the Audio Channel from the Turkey Videoblog only with the music (no sfx, no dialogue) from the begining. Can we say this is indeed the first snippet of the Skyfall soundtrack?

Listen:

http://jamesbondbrasil.com/jbbr3/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Thomas-Newman-First-Snippet-Of-Skyfall-Soundtrack.mp3
  • xolani wrote:
    As was posted in the other score thread: we might have 28 seconds of "leaked" music already!

I extracted the Audio Channel from the Turkey Videoblog only with the music (no sfx, no dialogue) from the begining. Can we say this is indeed the first snippet of the Skyfall soundtrack?

Listen:

http://jamesbondbrasil.com/jbbr3/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Thomas-Newman-First-Snippet-Of-Skyfall-Soundtrack.mp3

I think this sounds legitimate. Sounds like a suspense-track, but it's still too short to judge.
  • Does anybody know which orchestra Newman is using to perform the score for Skyfall? The question popped in my head after hearing Adele's song. Any thoughts or notions?
    Ok, there is a preview of the Skyfall soundtrack on CBN (sorry about pointing at a rival site). Only listened briefly but it seems there is 6 minutes from 3 of the soundtrack listings
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Lol, if only I was a techno.....
    Meh... nothing special, doesn't really stand out to me, and to be honest, it's nothing David Arnold couldn't do...
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 19
    It is hard to get a full feel for the soundtrack here, but there is a lot to be excited about. The building drums really roar on that last track. I love it!
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I think it might work quite well in context of the scenes.
    The first one has a definitive oriental feel to it, "lost in Turkey" so to say. And the last one already had me sitting on the edge of my seat. If only the theme for Severine had been a bit braver on a clearly structured melody, something like a memorizable theme. I hope its variations will be more explicit.
    I love the new sound, it's really fresh.
    I need to hear more, but from what I've heard I think it sounds great. The 3rd track The Moors will sound great in the cinema. Already an improvement over Arnold.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 130
    LOVE IT.

I can die peacefully now.

EDIT: The part that kicks in at 5:25 is just EPIC!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It's very fresh and new. Sounds good to me.
    Sounds good, really fresh, as mentioned. It didn't sound too memorable though, but there's plenty more to come.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 198
    Those few tracks sound way better and more original than almost anything Arnold has done! That pulsing sound sounds a bit like Batman by Zimmer. And I like that. Nice feel with Severine track, a bit eastern...

And what's more important: It sounds like one piece. The orchestra sounds powerful

And no drum 'n' bass! Promising!
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    Nice. Very American Beauty at 2:00 but so Newman and the Severine cue is gorgeous. Happy now. :-)
    xolani wrote:
    LOVE IT.

I can die peacefully now.

EDIT: The part that kicks in at 5:25 is just EPIC!

Epic is the right word!
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 5,745
    It'll be nice having something new but I think I prefer Arnold's latest over this. Arnold's scores for CR and especially QoS sound more 'international' than this. But I still enjoy it.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2012 Posts: 4,444
    Sound a bit like Spy Game and the last track have some moments who mabey a bit to techo for the cinema if you must imagine there also going to be sound effect. But it also can turn out in something good if the breath moments be good and not to much sound effects. It sound also a bit Mission Impossibe 2 and at 5.28 I also get a Terminator 2 feel.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Good but nothing too memorable. We all have heard much, much better by Newman. I quite like the Sévérine track and the use of percussion. I hope they are saving the best for last.
  • I really like it. It's just 6 minutes from a 77 minute CD but if it's typical of the score. I'll be happy. Tense, dramatic ,modern but without the crash bang wallop that turned me off David Arnolld's efforts (a pity because he composed some good stuff as well). Newman's music doesn't sound like Barry. I love John Barry's music and always hoped that he'd return for one final Bond score. Sadly, it didn't happen. However, there is more than one way to score these movies, and 25 years since John's final Bond score, perhaps it's time to stop expecting composers for Bond movies to endlessly recreate the Barry sound updated for modern audiences, and move on to something new. Newman's score might be that 'something new'.
  • tqbtqb
    Meh I hope the other tracks are better
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 11,119
    Okay, first of all, three of the shortest tracks can be heard on that example that marketto007 provided us:

- 03. New Digs (02:32)
    - 04. Severine (01:18), and
    - 27. The Moors (02:39)

My initial feeling is: Typical Thomas Newman, but also 'typical music score 2012 AD'. I guess the times of true recognizable melodies are kind of gone, especially in action movies. Still, I know Thomas Newman can do some pretty amazing things with strings, especially in the more romantic movies like 'Little Children' and 'Revolutionary Road'.

For that reason I think the track 'Severine' satisfies me the most. It's lush, Bond-ian, mysterious, romantic and there are a lot of strings in it. And at the same time it's typical Thomas Newman. It reminds me a bit of my favourite track from John Barry's 'The Man With The Golden Gun, 'Goodnight Goodnight'.

I think, so far, the three Thomas Newman tracks sound more crisp, more smooth and far better conducted than David Arnold's previous work on Bond. The violins sound more harmonic with the other instruments.

Still, let's be a bit more patient and await the following much longer tracks on the new soundtrack:
    - 01. Grand Bazaar, Istanbul (05:14): Must have some gunbarrel sounds in it no?
    - 07. Jellyfish (03:22)
    - 11. Quartermaster (04:58)
    - 13. Komodo Dragon (03:20)
    - 14. The Bloody Shot (04:46): Is this the train fight sequence with Patrice?
    - 25. Welcome to Scotland (03:21)
    - 26. She’s Mine (03:53)
    - 28. Deep Water (05:11)

Anyway, I am happy, but right now I prefer listening to Adele's theme again :-).
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    I can't say I'm very impressed. Nothing memorable.

I was hoping for something better than this. And different. It's not very different from Arnold's work, is it? And, unlike many people here, I don't hate Arnold.

No Bond theme either. That's the worst part. I thought we were past the "no Bond theme because Bond isn't Bond yet" period.

Of course that's only 7 minutes of a 70-minute-long score so we can't judge the whole thing right now. I just hope the rest is better.
    gt007 wrote:
    I can't say I'm very impressed. Nothing memorable.

I was hoping for something better than this. And different. It's not very different from Arnold's work, is it? And, unlike many people here, I don't hate Arnold.

No Bond theme either. That's the worst part. I thought we were past the "no Bond theme because Bond isn't Bond yet" period.

Of course that's only 7 minutes of a 70-minute-long score so we can't judge the whole thing right now. I just hope the rest is better.

Based on those 6 minutes only....I kinda agree :-S.
  • chamutakramchamutakram Dallas
    I didn't see Adele's song in the track list. Anybody know if it will be there?
  • Generic. Exactly as I feared when they announced Newman.

This could be from Bourne, or Taken, or The Transporter.
    GMSkarka wrote:
    Generic. Exactly as I feared when they announced Newman.

This could be from Bourne, or Taken, or The Transporter.

So basicly still better than DA's work. ;)

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I'm a fan of Newman but this does not satisfy me at all, it could have been taken from any soundtrack but of course I reserve my final judgment for when I listen to the whole soundtrack.