Could Pierce Brosnan feasibly come back to do a Bond after Craig leaves?

edited October 2012 in Actors Posts: 188
I was thinking that it would be cool if, after Craig left after the next 2 Bond movies, Brosnan starred in an OHMSS style one off Bond movie (kind of like Diamonds are Forever or even Never Say Never Again too I guess). Brosnan could star as a much older Bond in his late 50s/early 60s who has become a gun for hire and MI6 could call him back into service due to corrupted elements inside MI6 and the rebirth of SPECTRE? Tarantino has harped on about how he would have made a Bond movie, but with Brosnan instead of Craig - so Tarantino could even direct?

Comments

• edited August 2013 Posts: 12,837
    This'll draw out the Brosnan bashers again.

It won't happen, but I think if Craig left after SF Brosnan could do 1 more film and it'd be believeable, but only if it was an older Bond on his last mission or something.

He did deserve another film. Or at least, a better final one. Tarantino should direct a Bond film though, you're right there.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    edited October 2012 Posts: 2,635
    Of course not. Brosnan can't come back, even as it doesn't seems, he aged since DAD and now has even some 'fat'. Tarantino could direct a movie, i can say he made great Kill Bill movies, but Brosnan i'm afraid won't return.

I'd love his return, but the ageing problem IS what counts.

BTW, Craig will make more 3 movies (not counting Skyfall), so until there, Brosnan will be much more aged.
  • NeengPohNeengPoh Banned
    I woudl do anyything for Brosnan to return
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Is this seriously a question? Even the biggest Brosnan lovers like @Creasy47 and @00Beast would call shenanigans on this idea, though they are full of adoration for the man in question. I am no Brosnan basher, but this is just not plausible. I could see Brosnan in the role of a retired and world weary graying spy, that he would play well (AND HOW HIS BOND SHOULD HAVE BEEN WITHOUT P&W/EON'S IDEAS FOR THE CHARACTER), but outside of this franchise. He can't go back to Bond with the way they are going with it now.
    In a word? No!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, many of us loved Brosnan as Bond, me included. But the age factor is too great now. I am happy he has done well after Bond. Fine actor and a good Bond.
    Is this seriously a question? Even the biggest Brosnan lovers like @Creasy47 and @00Beast would call shenanigans on this idea, though they are full of adoration for the man in question. I am no Brosnan basher, but this is just not plausible. I could see Brosnan in the role of a retired and world weary graying spy, that he would play well (AND HOW HIS BOND SHOULD HAVE BEEN WITHOUT P&W/EON'S IDEAS FOR THE CHARACTER), but outside of this franchise. He can't go back to Bond with the way they are going with it now.

Agreed, wouldn't he be OLDER then MOORE after Craig's B24 and 25
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    No, however Brosnan will hopefully have a new franchise in the form of November Man which is due out next Summer, where he will play an aged agent, so I'm very much looking forward to that.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Yes he should, Meryl Streep could be his Bond girl and they could have a little sing song, maybe do the theme song!
  • EiragornEiragorn Hessia
    Well, if this happens we would get the full dose of a AVTAK/DAD mashup. I'm really looking forward to that...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    No, however Brosnan will hopefully have a new franchise in the form of November Man which is due out next Summer, where he will play an aged agent, so I'm very much looking forward to that.

I am waiting for that too. Him with graying hair is perfect for an aged spy. I will like to think it is his Bond after retirement, and now only runs agents.
  • Have you seen how old he looks in the EON documentary? Never.Happening.

I am waiting for that too. Him with graying hair is perfect for an aged spy. I will like to think it is his Bond after retirement, and now only runs agents.

I do hope he gets back in shape for it. He sort of lost touch after Bond, then got back in shape for The Matador and especially Seraphim Falls, and I thought he was great in both. Very rugged look in those. He wears a beard quite well I must say!

Should be a great film, the source material definitely has potential anyway.

I do hope he gets back in shape for it. He sort of lost touch after Bond, then got back in shape for The Matador and especially Seraphim Falls, and I thought he was great in both. Very rugged look in those. He wears a beard quite well I must say!

Do you know what the film is going to be about? IMDb has nothing.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Talk about flogging a dead horse, he's gone and far too old let it go will you please!!!
  • No chance. It would not happen. When Craig does go say in another 5-6 years the producers will most likely cast a Bond actor in their late 30's / early 40's. Roger Moore was the oldest to perform at 57. Doubt they'll be any old-timers in the role any time soon!
    I don't think it'd be feasible, no. Brosnan isn't exactly Neeson..

And if they want their new Bond's to be 5-7 picture deals, they'll always go younger.

As Shardlake said, let him go.

Do you know what the film is going to be about? IMDb has nothing.

"Based on the book There Are No Spies by Bill Granger, NOVEMBER MAN tells the tale of an ex-CIA operative who is brought back in on a very personal mission and finds himself pitted against his former pupil in a deadly game involving high level CIA officials and the Russian president-elect."

That's the only official synopsis so far. :)
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 4,813
    If another rogue Bond movie came out starring Pierce, I'd sure as hell see it! He wasn't my favorite Bond, but he absolutely deserved a better sendoff

Hey- didn't Pierce say in an interview once that he'd 'love to film Bond's death scene'? Maybe someday....

I had a similar thought as you once, @lewisblake:
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/2506/the-expendables-got-me-thinking.....-yes-this-is-bond-related#Item_24
    November Man sounds great, and where I think Pierce was hoping his Bond would. But thanks to stupid scripts, Pierce never got to do a straight and narrow Bond. A shame, but this may be his way of doing just that.
  • That sounds great. I loved him in Tailor of Panama
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 3,494
    Definitely no to Brosnan again as Bond. Too old now for sure. But I wish him all the best in this project. Interesting that he'll be playing a CIA guy, he could probably do a more convincing American than British accent at this point if the script calls for him to be an American or an Irish guy living here too long, which would probably be ideal. He just never sounded like Bond to me.
    I agree he deserved something better. I think the entire crew for November Man sounds pretty good, including Donaldson, who is a good director and really should have been given a Brosnan Bond film instead of someone like Tamahori, especially considering he had worked with Pierce before.

God, so many missed opportunities.
  • Donaldson did the excellent Thirteen Days, though it is a patchy cv - this is promising
    Donaldson did the excellent Thirteen Days, though it is a patchy cv - this is promising

He did, and he also did Dante's Peak, so those two examples alone prove he can handle both plot and spectacle well.
  • So - gauging opinion here - Brosnan probably wouldn't feasibly star as Bond in a major film again. I kind of knew this already but the thought intrigued me. Brosnan would be far too old by 2016 or whenever, he would also have to really get in shape and I don't think he would be up for that. However, the notion of a Tarantino directed 18 cert Bond film starring a grizzly old Bond in the shape of Brosnan is still a great thought I can't shake lol

On another tangent;
    Do you guys think there will ever be another rogue Bond film?
    Plus, would it be good for the modern Bond films?

Say - EON bought out a Bond film with Craig entitled Risico directed by Christopher Nolan - meanwhile the same year Tarantino brings out his own Bond movie starring a grizzly Brosnan as a 60 year old Bond entitled....Blood Stone.

Wouldn't it actually be great for the Bond franchise rather than take away from the franchise to have that kind of competition? EON could even treat it like a homegrown domestic boxing fight and take the rogue Bond film under it's wing as well, but promote it as a 'battle of the Bonds'!????????????????
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 3,494
    No, it would not be great to see a Tarantino/Brosnan Bond film. For one, they couldn't use the Bond name, EON would never allow it. Didn't we see enough of this in horses**t in 1983? I know I did. It would be just as half assed too, just like this idea. Two bitter blokes not much different than McGlory and Connery.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Jeez, this really isn't a serious discussion is it. Brosnan isn't coming back and he'll never return as Bond ever again. He came and went. End of story.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Perhaps if there was a remake of Diamonds Are Forever. Otherwise, what was the point of starting this thread again?
  • The only way that it could have happened - in my mind anyway - is if CR had been a gigantic flop. Like, one of the worst flops in the franchise history, such as taking in only $50 million at the box office. Only then could I see them bringing back Brosnan for "one last film" in the more "light" style a la DAF. But not only was CR a huge hit, the new style was very well received by both critics and audiences.

As much as some of Brosnan's supporters deny it, he was not let down by bad scripts and would not have delivered an amazing performance if only given better material. Each of his films gave him lots of emotional "meat" to work with and he wasn't able to capitalize on it. So if Craig left and somehow Brosnan did one more film in the future it would have to be a throwback to the style of his films from the 90's.