Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

I still can’t believe we are getting Indy 5

I have fears and they are growing louder but I saw Kingdom in the theaters and I will see this one too weirdly enough the only Indy film I am missing is temple of doom as I bought each film individually I will likely buy it at some point though bugs freak me out so I don’t know if I will watch it any time soon lol
    mtm wrote: »
    Mr_Beach wrote: »
    Filming begins next week.

That's cool, where did you hear that?

Someone who works on the film told me.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2021 Posts: 14,961
    Filming begins next week.

That's cool, where did you hear that?

Someone who works on the film told me.

That's great, thanks.
    So I guess if that includes first unit stuff the principal cast & crew have probably been in the UK for a couple of weeks.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I am looking forward to the title reveal.

That's going to be fun. They just shouldn't make the title too long and cumbersome. "Indiana Jones and the Adjective Thing" is fine, as is "Indiana Jones and the Thing of Things". But "Indiana Jones and the Thing of Adjective Things" is starting to be a little too much, like with "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull".

It could have been shortened to INDIANA JONES AND THE CRYSTAL SKULL.
    In this day and age, I wouldn't be surprised if the next film is simply called INDY.

That's a much better title for Indy 4.
    I'm also anticipating the title, can't be much longer now with all the cast announcements over the past few weeks and filming starting soon.

I'm excited for the title, too. Can't wait to see what they come up with.

I do agree that Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is too long and cumbersome for an Indy Title. I have always thought that INDIANA JONES AND THE CRYSTAL SKULL would be better. I also think INDIANA JONES AND THE CRYSTAL KINGDOM has a nice ring to it, although it's not quite accurate. Even "AND THE SKULL KINGDOM" would have been more efficient.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I am looking forward to the title reveal.

That's going to be fun. They just shouldn't make the title too long and cumbersome. "Indiana Jones and the Adjective Thing" is fine, as is "Indiana Jones and the Thing of Things". But "Indiana Jones and the Thing of Adjective Things" is starting to be a little too much, like with "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull".

It could have been shortened to INDIANA JONES AND THE CRYSTAL SKULL.
    I suppose they didn't want to because they wanted to convey more precisely what the story is about in their minds-- the "kingdom" born from the artifact rather than just the artifact. But the film didn't really give me a strong feeling for the kingdom, so I too would have gone with "and the Crystal Skull".
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think maybe ...And The Land of the Crystal Skull or similar might have worked: just 'Crystal Skull' is a bit stark and not much fun and also about a syllable too short. 'Land' isn't very pulpy though.
    I still like CRYSTAL KINGDOM, even though it's not accurate. I think it has a lyrical quality to it and sounds suitably pulpy.
    With regard to titles, in terms of getting a title coming out too long, one might wish to keep track of the number of syllables, not just the number (or type) of words.
  • edited May 2021 Posts: 669
    Since62 wrote: »
    With regard to titles, in terms of getting a title coming out too long, one might wish to keep track of the number of syllables, not just the number (or type) of words.

I completely agree! Syntax makes a big difference with these titles, although semantics do too. Frank Darabont's script, for instance, has an almost great title: INDIANA JONES AND THE CITY OF THE GODS. I have always felt that the second "The" makes it a bit cumbersome, and even though it changes the meaning somewhat, INDIANA JONES AND THE CITY OF GODS is much more pleasing to the ear.
    Indeed ! That second "the" makes all the difference. It is remarkable how an experienced writer would not catch that right off. Of course, perhaps he was not "married" to the title at all, and just used it for a place-keeper.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Anyone else kinda like Crystal Skull?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Denbigh wrote: »

I love it. Second best Jones, after TOD.
    Denbigh wrote: »

I love it. Second best Jones, after TOD.

I've always liked it but just think it's a smidge too long.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited May 2021 Posts: 5,869
    I mean it's at the bottom of my list, but I love every single movie, so it's not really a bad position to be in. Just the "worst" of a good bunch. I actually find Indiana Jones one of the hardest series of movies to rank because they're all so great in their own way, and my favourite always fluctuates. Kinda like Bond, but Bond's easier cause there's so many of them.
    And, with Bond, there is a mix of different actors in the role. Additionally -- and as part of your point that it is easier because there are so many Bond films -- they went through a variety of styles over their long period of time.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It’s the weakest but it’s not a quality drop to the series like Phantom Menace was to Star Wars, and I’d rather have it than not.

Can anyone remember what the other two titles were they copyrighted at the time? There were three including Crystal Skull, I feel like one of them may have been City of The Gods..?
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    You're right.

---

I must say I would have preferred if they had called the fourth film "City of (the) Gods." It's just a better title I think.
    It’s the weakest but it’s not a quality drop to the series like Phantom Menace was to Star Wars, and I’d rather have it than not.

Can anyone remember what the other two titles were they copyrighted at the time? There were three including Crystal Skull, I feel like one of them may have been City of The Gods..?

INDIANA JONES AND THE SAUCERMEN FROM MARS was scheduled already back in the 90s, and much of that script ended up in Crystal Skull.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

INDIANA JONES AND THE SAUCERMEN FROM MARS was scheduled already back in the 90s, and much of that script ended up in Crystal Skull.

No, it wasn’t that, I found them. Turns out there were six of them registered (to effectively hide Skull) :
    Indiana Jones and the City of Gods
    Indiana Jones and the Destroyer of Worlds
    Indiana Jones and the Fourth Corner of the Earth
    Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    Indiana Jones and the Lost City of Gold
    Indiana Jones and the Quest for the Covenant

https://ew.com/article/2007/08/13/speaking-of-ind/
    Indiana Jones and the Lost City of Gold is a cool title, reminds me of Carl Barks.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It’s fun, perhaps a little generic though.

Whatever it is I’m sure we’ll all be disappointed! :) I mean, to be fair, Last Crusade is a pretty dry title. ‘Kingdom of the Crystal Skull’ is way more evocative.
  • edited May 2021 Posts: 121
    POSSIBLE SPOILERS based on previous rumours:

I am convinced that the rumour that Mikkelsen will play a scientist who used to work for the Nazis and was evacuated during Operation Paperclip is true, but I don't think space will play in important role in the movie. Also, I remember reading another rumour that a scene (maybe the opening scene) will take place at the end of WW2, I think that will be a scence showing Mikkelsen's character's evacuation by the US.

Also a NON-SPOILER:

Someone on twitter wrote that they have heard that they will film in Bamburgh, but they also don't believe that it's true. I'm not so sure about that. It does seem like part of the story will take place in Scotland and the Bamburgh Castle could pass for a Schottish castle, couldn't it?
    I always thought Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Skull would have made for a strong title, though it does sound a little like a Conan adventure or something.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited May 2021 Posts: 5,869
    I like the title they chose. Rolls of the tongue nicely I think. I actually think if they had avoided aliens, the film would've been received better. I think despite my love for the film, it's quite a jarring resolve.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think the alien thing works perfectly, myself. Lines up with the whole 'runways of the gods' thing, which interfaces really well with Indy's wheelhouse, plus it's even set in the 50s. It all tonally adds up for me.
    It’s fun, perhaps a little generic though.

Whatever it is I’m sure we’ll all be disappointed! :) I mean, to be fair, Last Crusade is a pretty dry title. ‘Kingdom of the Crystal Skull’ is way more evocative.

As a fan of many things Arthurian and relating to the Templar Knights (tip o'the hat to The Saint, by the way), and especially 1981's Excalibur, I like the title for Indy 3 VERY much and do not find it dry at all ! It evokes many interesting things and stories and treasures, and -- given its use in the film and the great success of the film though, surely, not due simply to the title -- lends excitement and interest to it. Of course -- it relates directly to Dr. Jones, Sr. and provides yet another reminder to viewers that SEAN FREAKIN' CONNERY is in this film !
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Not exactly as fun as 'Temple of Doom' though, is it? Like the film itself, it's a little less exuberant and energetic.
    "Temple of Doom" is terrific as a title, yes, but the female lead tends to whine, the dialogue with Short Round explaining to the little ruler kid that he was under a spell always stuck out like a sore thumb. But heck yeah, it's an exciting, fast-paced film -- rather like that deadly roller-coaster mine-car scene. It accentuates the adventure and action side of Indy. But "the Last Crusade" is a title rich with history, mystery, intrigue, capturing the negative sides of some of those crusades, as well. It is more like Raiders in presenting the investigative side of Indy. The pace is more reminiscent of Raiders, and it is filled with plenty of action. Sure, it's got Nazis again - but it's a prequel, please recall, so it works.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    But "the Last Crusade" is a title rich with history, mystery, intrigue, capturing the negative sides of some of those crusades, as well. It is more like Raiders in presenting the investigative side of Indy. The pace is more reminiscent of Raiders, and it is filled with plenty of action. Sure, it's got Nazis again - but it's a prequel, please recall, so it works.

Crusade isn't a prequel, no.
    I love all the Indiana Jones titles, TBH.

Okay there's one I don't like...................

INDIANA JONES AND THE RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK

as it appeared on DVD covers. I never thought it necessary to change the first film's title to match the others.

IJATLC is probably my favorite title of the bunch. Always loved it.

I was half joking about the new film just being called INDY. That would piss me off actually.