Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    This video makes me think the guy has already made his mind up...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2021 Posts: 14,956
    It is interesting how this film smokes out people who seem to be scared of black people and women. Why do so many men pee their pants at the mention of Phoebe Waller-Bridge? I guess he'll be enjoying GB News when it finally starts up.

Whenever I see one of his videos pop up I'm always thankful for the ability to play YouTube videos at increased speed: if you set it at 1.25 or 1.5 playback it gets rid of that stupid effect he puts on his voice- what a dumb affectation. As if it didn't take him long enough to get to the point he actually slows his boring rant down.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Phoebe Waller-Bridge is a hugely talented writer, Fleabag was fantastic. I was excited to see her being brought on for Bond. I'm hoping for a very witty script.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not looking forward to an elderly Indy limping through an adventure.

Harrison Ford is in amazing shape. Will he be as agile as a 20 or 30 year old? No, but he will be convincing in moderate action.
    Also, as I’ve speculated, because of the 60’s setting, I believe that mild de-aging will be done and will be flawless.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited May 2021 Posts: 5,869
    I do find it strange that people have been talking about this and getting themselves excited for it to see that now it's officially happening, it's suddenly a controversial choice and people aren't sure... I know it's a lot to do with Ford's age, but it was only a year or so ago people were wishing for the existence of this film, and refusing anything else (prequel, reboot) but a sequel.
    @talos7 I like to travel in hope and Really do hope that Indy 5 will be the usual fun, exciting adventure. I'm just a little worried about a 78 year old Indy ? The same way I'd be worried about a 78 year old Bond, Ethan Hunt, or Harry Potter ;)
    Indy 4 was Bad but had a few good moments so I have my fingers crossed for Indy 5, and really do hope it works out well. After all Indy is one of my heroes I want him to go out on a High.
    78 year old Harry Potter :)) The new Dumbledore!
    @talos7 I like to travel in hope and Really do hope that Indy 5 will be the usual fun, exciting adventure. I'm just a little worried about a 78 year old Indy ? The same way I'd be worried about a 78 year old Bond, Ethan Hunt, or Harry Potter ;)
    Indy 4 was Bad but had a few good moments so I have my fingers crossed for Indy 5, and really do hope it works out well. After all Indy is one of my heroes I want him to go out on a High.

I understand the apprehension, but “ Call of the Wild “ showed that he can still be convincing in a physical role.
    At approximately 1:30 there’s a shot of him in the water that shows that Ford is not a typical 78 year old.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Connery was 71 in The League of Extraordinary Gentleman you would not of thought it (70 is the new 50 for some), Ford looks after himself I am sure he will be ok in Indy 5 though lets hope the film does not keep getting pushed back.
    @talos7 Nice behind the scenes shots, and yes at the end of the day it is Freaking Harrison Ford =D> the guys a legend and if anyone can do it it will be him. He looks far better than me at 55 :D As I said I'll travel in hope and do wish that Indy 5 will give us another great adventure.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Connery was 71 in The League of Extraordinary Gentleman you would not of thought it (70 is the new 50 for some), Ford looks after himself I am sure he will be ok in Indy 5 though lets hope the film does not keep getting pushed back.

Well I think it's pretty much starting shooting any day now; I would imagine the first sets are built- I don't think it can get pushed back unless something serious happens.
    I wonder if the main players are in the UK yet? Presumably there might have to be a quarantine process.
  • edited May 2021 Posts: 1,394
    mtm wrote: »
    It is interesting how this film smokes out people who seem to be scared of black people and women. Why do so many men pee their pants at the mention of Phoebe Waller-Bridge? I guess he'll be enjoying GB News when it finally starts up.

Whenever I see one of his videos pop up I'm always thankful for the ability to play YouTube videos at increased speed: if you set it at 1.25 or 1.5 playback it gets rid of that stupid effect he puts on his voice- what a dumb affectation. As if it didn't take him long enough to get to the point he actually slows his boring rant down.

I love how this guy thinks that anyone who doesnt like woke nonsense thinks it means they are '' scared '' of black people and women.There is nothing at all wrong with having strong representations of both.The problem is that there is this narrative being pushed that its NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE! That for the first time EVER we are seeing STRONG FEMALE CHARACTERS IN FILM! BLACK CHARACTERS IN LEADING ROLES!

Its funny because i remember Ellen Ripley in the Alien franchise.Sarah Connor in the first two Terminator films.Wonder Woman,The Bionic Woman,Emma Peel,Sydney Bristow.I dont remember anyone complaining about those.

As for black people.There is a countless amount of movies with black leads.Just look at the careers of Denzel Washington and Morgan Freeman for example.

The problem is that crazy feminists like Kathleen Kennedy and those idiots who write that BatWOMAN! show are trying to force a narrative that strong female characters and black leads have never happened.They also most likely hate men and are prioritizing gender,race,and identity politics over good storytelling.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    AstonLotus wrote: »

I love how this guy thinks that anyone who doesnt like woke nonsense thinks it means they are '' scared '' of black people and women.There is nothing at all wrong with having strong representations of both.The problem is that there is this narrative being pushed that its NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE! That for the first time EVER we are seeing STRONG FEMALE CHARACTERS IN FILM! BLACK CHARACTERS IN LEADING ROLES!

Its funny because i remember Ellen Ripley in the Alien franchise.Sarah Connor in the first two Terminator films.Wonder Woman,The Bionic Woman,Emma Peel,Sydney Bristow.I dont remember anyone complaining about those.

As for black people.There is a countless amount of movies with black leads.Just look at the careers of Denzel Washington and Morgan Freeman for example.

The problem is that crazy feminists like Kathleen Kennedy and those idiots who write that BatWOMAN! show are trying to force a narrative that strong female characters and black leads have never happened.They also most likely hate men and are prioritizing gender,race,and identity politics over good storytelling.

Well that seems a totally level-headed point of view :))

I have a bit of a rule that anyone who uses the words 'woke' and 'narrative' is generally someone to be avoided. I must have missed those films opening with the caption 'THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE' :D
    Well “ Woke” has become a part of the world wide vernacular; to say that anyone who uses it is generally to be avoided is extreme and displays prejudice.
    I love strong, confident female characters and don’t consider their inclusion to be “Woke”. What does fit that description are female characters who are presented only to put males in their place and wave the flag of social justice. The same could be said when dealing with race and sexual orientation.

It’s interesting Ellen Ripley in the Aliens films is one of the strongest women ever to Grace the screen; starting over 40 years ago she was kicking butt and taking charge and there wasn’t a peep about the threat of a strong woman. My thought is that back then Ripley wasn’t being used to push an agenda; today the same is not true as characters are used to do so.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    talos7 wrote: »
    Well “ Woke” has become a part of the world wide vernacular; to say that anyone who uses it is generally to be avoided is extreme and displays prejudice.

Okay, people who use it without irony are to be avoided :)

Genuinely, I've not yet seen anyone use it who doesn't then say something objectionable. Same with 'narrative'- it's up there with 'sheeple'. It's in the vernacular but anyone using it in a non-ironic sense is pretty much always a crazy conspiracy theorist :D '5G narrative', 'vaccine narrative' etc.
    I love strong, confident female characters and don’t consider their inclusion to be “Woke”. What does fit that description are female characters who are presented only to put males in their place and wave the flag of social justice. The same could be said when dealing with race and sexual orientation.

It’s interesting Ellen Ripley in the Aliens films is one of the strongest women ever to Grace the screen; starting over 40 years ago she was kicking butt and taking charge and there wasn’t a peep about the threat of a strong woman. My thought is that back then Ripley wasn’t being used to push an agenda; today the same is not true as characters are used to do so.

I think the question would be why folks find that agenda threatening or upsetting. Ripley was very much the exception rather than the rule, which is perhaps why folks-who-say-woke didn't have a problem with it.

There was a drive to include more women on panel shows here about ten years ago because comedy shows were getting made with all-male casts way too regularly, and there was actually a mindset that culturally speaking, women weren't as funny as men because of their traditional place in society not giving them the opportunity to be / it's how men attract women etc. etc. And since they started actually forcing the change to include more women on comedy shows as an actual rule that has blown that thinking up to be a completely ridiculous myth. So there's really nothing wrong with making changes.
    I think having stronger female characters is a good thing, I have two daughters and want them to have strong/ powerful role models, One way I think Hollywood can do this is by hiring more female screenwriters. I agree we've had strong female leads in the past but a few more can't do any harm.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited May 2021 Posts: 8,087

Okay, people who use it without irony are to be avoided :)

Genuinely, I've not yet seen anyone use it who doesn't then say something objectionable. Same with 'narrative'- it's up there with 'sheeple'. It's in the vernacular but anyone using it in a non-ironic sense is pretty much always a crazy conspiracy theorist :D '5G narrative', 'vaccine narrative' etc.

I think the question would be why folks find that agenda threatening or upsetting. Ripley was very much the exception rather than the rule, which is perhaps why folks-who-say-woke didn't have a problem with it.

There was a drive to include more women on panel shows here about ten years ago because comedy shows were getting made with all-male casts way too regularly, and there was actually a mindset that culturally speaking, women weren't as funny as men because of their traditional place in society not giving them the opportunity to be / it's how men attract women etc. etc. And since they started actually forcing the change to include more women on comedy shows as an actual rule that has blown that thinking up to be a completely ridiculous myth. So there's really nothing wrong with making changes.

This is because they knew the result they were looking for before they did the experiment.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think having stronger female characters is a good thing, I have two daughters and want them to have strong/ powerful role models, One way I think Hollywood can do this is by hiring more female screenwriters. I agree we've had strong female leads in the past but a few more can't do any harm.

Yeah I watched the 90s movie Deep Rising tonight for a laugh (remember that one coming out?) - turns out it's really quite decent fun (and with a great Goldsmith score!) but Famke Janssen is stuck in a pretty thankless damsel role with Treat Williams struggling slightly in the lead, and I was struck that if they'd have just reversed the roles between the two actors you'd have had the more charismatic actor playing the lead (Williams probably would have been better in the damsel part too as he could have played it up a bit more comedic).
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited May 2021 Posts: 5,869
    I think it's okay to call it out when a film creates a character or explores something that's purely on the nose on the ideas of identity politics and social justice, and just to be seen doing so, but the thing I find frustrating these days is the pre-emptive argument or assumption that this is or will be the case...

...sure, noticing frustrating aspects of Hollywood moneymen who only view those issues as trends and nothing more, rather than doing it right, is normal...

...but to expect it to be the case every time a particular person is hired or a particular subject is being explored or even subtly touched upon within a movie, like Indiana Jones and James Bond, seems overly expectant and can actually in certain contexts damage the film or even your own enjoyment of something that could actually be really good at the end of the day, and actually also halts us from being able to move forward and make castings, subjects, and contexts like those associated with identity politics and social justice feel natural, well-executed, with the odd bad one here and there, like many other things we get in our media,
    @mtm That's one of my Favourite horror/thriller, always hate the scene where the guy has no bullets left to kill himself before he's ............
    I've always thought it odd that for strong female characters look at the Fast and Furious movies. Yes they're silly escapist fun, but all the women in it are as good drivers as the men, fight as good as the men, are as smart as the men and take no crap from anyone. I find it sort of funny that some strong female charters come from a testosterone filled muscle fest movie ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I think it's okay to call it out when a film creates a character or explores something that's purely on the nose on the ideas of identity politics and social justice, and just to be seen doing so, but the thing I find frustrating these days is the pre-emptive argument or assumption that this is or will be the case...

...sure, noticing frustrating aspects of Hollywood moneymen who only view those issues as trends and nothing more, rather than doing it right, is normal...

...but to expect it to be the case every time a particular person is hired or a particular subject is being explored or even subtly touched upon within a movie, like Indiana Jones and James Bond, seems overly expectant and can actually in certain contexts damage the film or even your own enjoyment of something that could actually be really good at the end of the day, and actually also halts us from being able to move forward and make castings, subjects, and contexts like those associated with identity politics and social justice feel natural, well-executed, with the odd bad one here and there, like many other things we get in our media,

Indeed, like anything it can be handled poorly, but just because Waller-Bridge is involved in something you get these weird people complaining even though the only thing they've seen her in is a Star Wars film (where she played a tongue in cheek parody of a SJW!). And that Scots guy assumes that because the film is set in the 60s it must be about the civil rights movement in the US at that time...? What kind of eye-rolling paranoia is that? As if that's the only thing which happened in the 60s! It was a pretty eventful decade :D
    And as if the Nazis (baddies in two of the first three Indy films) weren't a teeny bit racist themselves! Was it not okay to have racists as the baddies in those films? What's with the anti-racist agenda, huh? ;)

@mtm That's one of my Favourite horror/thriller, always hate the scene where the guy has no bullets left to kill himself before he's ............

Yes, I thought that was a cracking gag! :D

Denbigh wrote: »
    I've always thought it odd that for strong female characters look at the Fast and Furious movies. Yes they're silly escapist fun, but all the women in it are as good drivers as the men, fight as good as the men, are as smart as the men and take no crap from anyone. I find it sort of funny that some strong female charters come from a testosterone filled muscle fest movie ;)

The FF movies are rather good on that score: I often think a lot of the louder people haven't noticed that the main cast is pretty much entirely non-white. If it was a new movie coming out tomorrow and not a sequel, imagine how many tiresome complaints about 'box-ticking' we'd be hearing when the cast list was unveiled.
    @mtm I think you've hit the nail on the head with ....
    "I often think a lot of the louder people haven't noticed that the main cast is pretty much entirely non-white."
    Sometimes just getting on with making a film, etc with the cast you want, without drawing attention to any politics etc can be best. Another great series is " The Expanse " on amazon prime, once again a multi racial cast with strong female characters and it's totally natural. No one mentions or comments on it, it just works.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited May 2021 Posts: 6,726
    I only delved superficially into the IJ5 plot info but it sounds really cool.
    I believe Gal Gadot is going to lead a spy film ; I’m really looking forward to that. She did did a great job in the first film of portraying WW as a strong woman who wasn’t out to be a ball buster.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I believe Gal Gadot is going to lead a spy film ; I’m really looking forward to that. She did did a great job in the first film of portraying WW as a strong woman who wasn’t out to be a ball buster.
    She's also going to play Hedy Lamarr in a miniseries, who as well as being an actress, developed a communication system that involved changing frequencies to avoid enemy detection.
    Gal Gadot would make a wonderful spy
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    @mtm I think you've hit the nail on the head with ....
    "I often think a lot of the louder people haven't noticed that the main cast is pretty much entirely non-white."
    Sometimes just getting on with making a film, etc with the cast you want, without drawing attention to any politics etc can be best.

Sure, but no-one involved has drawn any attention whatsoever to any politics in this Indy film, but the YouTube crazies still think that they (and evil Kathleen Kennedy!) have :D
    mattjoes wrote: »
    She's also going to play Hedy Lamarr in a miniseries, who as well as being an actress, developed a communication system that involved changing frequencies to avoid enemy detection.
    Yes, it’s an incredible story; I’m really looking forward to that.

YouTube must be a bit like twitter :)) In the days when old Daniel landed the role of 007, and had to put up with all the backlash from some. As you've already pointed out
    YouTube is full of conspiracies, 5G, flat earth etc :D
    Who knows they may be doing this as a goodbye to the character, a big glorious send off. A movie where he can act his age but has to overcome it to help others. Could be a good thing to show age shouldn't stop you from doing stuff.
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    What I was getting at with Scarjo was that Indiana Jones works better with lesser known character actors. The super star actors that worked well for Indy movies (thanks to the writing) were Sir Sean Connery, Sir John Hurt and Cate Blanchett. I’m talking about bigger name actors. That’s why I compare Shia to Scarjo. Too overexposed, not much talent. Mads Mikkelsen is a expectation. PWB is more character actor and writer. I’ll give her a chance. As for Gal Gadot, she would be great for James Bond (she auditioned for QOS, but she deserves better) and Indiana Jones. Same with Hayley Atwell, but Mission Impossible got her first! Scarjo wouldn’t be much help from an acting standpoint.