Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    They'll most likely give him a role like George Hall in the tv show.
    If I remember correctly, Last Crusade was the movie that kicked off the blockbuster summer movie season in '89, a big season for films that year. Memorial Day weekend was the official start back then instead of April, where it's been moved up to now.

Seeing this was one of my fond movie memories. I finished off an exam at my college and my buddy and I took in a matinee and it was exactly what you needed to have a fun time at the flicks. And Last Crusade is still one of my favorites.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Harrison Ford Says He's the Only One Who Gets to Play Indiana Jones: 'When I'm Gone, He's Gone'
    https://www.google.com/amp/time.com/5595439/harrison-ford-the-only-indiana-jones/?amp=true
    “Don’t you get it? I’m Indiana Jones,” Ford, 76, said. “When I’m gone, he’s gone. It’s easy.”

I love it, because he is right
    Exactly 30 years ago today...

9813585471a0499061792664c523c91c.jpg

... Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was released in North America.

Greatest Indy film ever.
    Harrison Ford Says He's the Only One Who Gets to Play Indiana Jones: 'When I'm Gone, He's Gone'
    https://www.google.com/amp/time.com/5595439/harrison-ford-the-only-indiana-jones/?amp=true
    “Don’t you get it? I’m Indiana Jones,” Ford, 76, said. “When I’m gone, he’s gone. It’s easy.”

I love it, because he is right
    +3
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    It may be his desire, but the franchise is too valuable to let die with him.
    Like it or not , the role will be recast.; if so, I would like to see an unknown, or little known who really suits the part.
    talos7 wrote: »
    It may be his desire, but the franchise is too valuable to let die with him.
    Like it or not , the role will be recast.; if so, I would like to see an unknown, or little known who really suits the part.

Yeah, as much as I couldn't see anyone else in the role, it's not up to him whether they will make other movies.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I'm glad that he just came out and said it without worrying about being PC. If that's how he feels then more power to him. However... Harrison, we all love you, but do you really think anyone wants to see an 80 year old Indy???

The role will definitely be recast at some point; it's inevitable. Ford doesn't have to like it though and I guess I will reserve judgement until that time comes.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2019 Posts: 23,393
    Disney have a cash cow in Indy and will squeeze as much money out of it as possible, though to me Ford is Indy anything else will be a pale imitation. Also no one will ever make a better Indy film than Raiders... IMO
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Disney have a cash cow in Indy and will squeeze as much money out of it as possible, though to me Ford is Indy anything else will be a pale imitation. Also no one will ever make a better Indy film than Raiders... IMO

It's not possible, it is still the greatest action adventure film of all time.
    Shardlake wrote: »

Absolutely, and to think that era Spielberg wanted to do a Bond.

Although many people may feel Indy is just like Bond in the sense that many actors could play him, I completely disagree. Just the way I feel I'd NEVER want to see anyone other than Stallone play Rocky Balboa.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 11,425

Raiders is awesome but Last Crusade maybe just tops it. It's basically a remake but somehow they improved on the original.

Bit like YOLT and TSWLM.

I think Connery helps give Crusade the edge.

edited May 2019 Posts: 4,043
    Getafix wrote: »

Raiders is awesome but Last Crusade maybe just tops it. It's basically a remake but somehow they improved on the original.

Bit like YOLT and TSWLM.

We are going to agree to disagree on that, Raiders towers over the majority of blockbuster, let alone one of its sequels that copies it to a lesser effect.

If Connery wasn't there and they'd gone with the girlfriend option instead or a less iconic actor with none of the chemistry that Harrison and Sean had the film wouldn't be received as favourably.

Without Connery, the fact it becomes a retread and the mocking of Marcus Brody etc. would be much more noticeable. It was a master stroke to have the 12 years older than Ford, Connery as his father, makes you forget its shortcomings

They broke the mould when they made Raiders, all the ingredients are bang on, the stars aligned in a way that produced a masterpiece of action adventure cinema.

Bit like YOLT and TSWLM.

We are going to agree to disagree on that, Raiders towers over the majority of blockbuster, let alone one of its sequels that copies it to a lesser effect.

If Connery wasn't there and they'd gone with the girlfriend option instead or a less iconic actor with none of the chemistry that Harrison and Sean had the film wouldn't be received as favourably.

Without Connery, the fact it becomes a retread and the mocking of Marcus Brody etc. would be much more noticeable. It was a master stroke to have the 12 years older than Ford, Connery as his father, makes you forget its shortcomings

They broke the mould when they made Raiders, all the ingredients are bang on, the stars aligned in a way that produced a masterpiece of action adventure cinema.

+1
    What are the short comings with Crusade?
    Fair enough to prefer Raiders but to imply Crusade is anything less than excellent is just daft IMO.

And saying it wouldn't be as good without Connery... Well that's pretty damn obvious isn't it? Bit like saying The Untouchables or The Rock wouldn't be as good without him either. Connery made pretty much everything he was ever in better. That doesn't make the films bad.
    What are the short comings with Crusade?
    Fair enough to prefer Raiders but to imply Crusade is anything less than excellent is just daft IMO.

And saying it wouldn't be as good without Connery... Well that's pretty damn obvious isn't it? Bit like saying The Untouchables or The Rock wouldn't be as good without him either. Connery made pretty much everything he was ever in better. That doesn't make the films bad.

I didn't say it was bad, it's actually very good, I've said it's reasons why in my post, Brody being turned into a comedy buffoon and it essentially copying Raiders to lesser effect.

The beginning like all of the first 3 films is an utter joy, although Raiders beginning is so sublime it can't be beaten.

Thought saying it's better because of Connery doesn't wash, Indiana Jones is about the adventure, the rush of adrenaline that you get from those set pieces and as good as the ones in Crusade not one matches any of the ones in Raiders.

It doesn't come down to Connery's participation as nice a cherry on top as it is.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited May 2019 Posts: 17,691
    I love them all, but sorry, Temple Of Doom is my favourite. Best story, action almost on par with Raiders, funny, serious, story makes Indy a participant, no dumb Brody or Sallah, no Shia, only bad part is the chilled monkey brains... EWWWEWUE. ;)
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I love them all, but sorry, Temple Of Doom is my favourite. Best story, action almost on par with Raiders, funny, serious, story makes Indy a participant, no dumb Brody or Sallah, no Shia, only bad part is the chilled monkey brains... EWWWEWUE. ;)

The first three are a great trilogy. We have a local theater, The Prytania, that runs a lot of classic films; on June 2 and 5 they're showing Temple Of Doom. I'll definitely catch it.
    I can see why one would prefer Crusade over Raiders, since the former adds some more depth to Indiana Jones as it casts some light on the character's past and his relationship with his father. I always related a lot with Indy because my relationship with my father is very akin to Indy-Henry's.

However, at the end of the day I prefer Raiders because it's more serious. I don't think Crusade's goofiness is a flaw (heck, I always laugh a lot when I watch it), but I think Raiders' tone fits Indiana Jones more.
    Never liked Doom. Slapstic theme park ride sillyness. And the kid and love interest are dire. Too much time in the mine.

Haven't even seen Skulls but from what I hear sounds abysmal and one to avoid.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Haven't even seen Skulls but from what I hear sounds abysmal and one to avoid.

You also hear that GE is a fantastic Bond film.
    Short Round I can deal with, but as long as ToD has Willie Scott then it will always be pulled down below Raiders and Last Crusade for me just on her presence.

While they didn't need to have another Marion type, why did they need to go the complete opposite with a whining, loud type? I can't decide who is worse, Willie or Stacy Sutton of AVTAK? Not a great era for action movie females.

fjdinardo wrote: »

Greatest Indy film ever.

Good lord - can we all pause and spare a thought for that photo? There's more charisma in that image than in hundred hours of Hollywood dreck.
    octofinger wrote: »
    fjdinardo wrote: »

Greatest Indy film ever.

Good lord - can we all pause and spare a thought for that photo? There's more charisma in that image than in hundred hours of Hollywood dreck.
    Of course
    1. Raiders
    2. Last Crusade
    3. Temple of Doom
    Depths of Hell
    4. Crystal Skull
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I actually don't mind Crystal Skull. Prefer it over Temple of Doom by miles.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I actually don't mind Crystal Skull. Prefer it over Temple of Doom by miles.

I'm sure I misread that, @Last_Rat_Standing. Oh, no, I didn't. ;-)

Nah, I don't mind Crystal Skull either. But I rate Temple a lot higher.
    Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is tolerable to OK for me, then Marion appears and then the film literally falls off a cliff.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is tolerable to OK for me, then Marion appears and then the film literally falls off a cliff.

Yeah once the Russian is eaten by ants, then it kinda goes down the waterfall for me.