Rest In Peace, show your respects to those who have passed away.

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Definitely one of the greatest German-born directors in the history of cinema. Forget Roland Emmerich in comparison. RIP Wolfgang. All his movies will persist and keep people enjoying them for the next decades.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    RIP Wolfgang Petersen, a solid resume of films he leaves us.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Darius Campbell Danesh: Pop Idol and West End star dies aged 41
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-62564721.amp
    This is tragic, 41 years old way to young.

Years earlier he had fallen into a coma with meningitis and almost died, I wonder if it's related.
    R. I. P.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2022 Posts: 23,378
    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/aug/19/josephine-tewson-keeping-up-appearances-dies
    Best known as Hyacinth 'Bouquet' (Bucket) long suffering friend. Keeping up Appearances was a funny show.

R.I.P. Josephine Tewson, 91 years old.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/aug/19/josephine-tewson-keeping-up-appearances-dies
    Best known as Hyacinth 'Bouquet' (Bucket) long suffering friend. Keeping up Appearances was a funny show.

Sad news. A great actress. She was so on edge that she always ended up spilling her tea everywhere. :)
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Sad news. A great actress. She was so on edge that she always ended up spilling her tea everywhere. :)

I forgot about Clarence with the Great Ronnie Barker, it was a gem also.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    R.I.P. Josephine Tewson

Poor Elizabeth. She was be a trebling wreck, anytime Hyacinth brought out her fine china.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 1,261
    Benny wrote: »
    RIP Wolfgang Petersen, a solid resume of films he leaves us.

RIP Wolfgang Petersen.

DAS BOOT is a movie classic. And IN THE LINE OF FIRE a great thriller.

• R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    RIP Leon Vitali, Lord Bullingdon in Kubrick's Barry Lyndon and personal assistant to the master.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Virginia Patton, the last surviving adult cast member of It's A Wonderful Life, has passed away at the age of 97:

https://deadline.com/2022/08/virginia-patton-dead-last-its-a-wondefu-life-adult-cast-member-was-97-obituary-1235097106/
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Virginia Patton, the last surviving adult cast member of It's A Wonderful Life, has passed away at the age of 97:

https://deadline.com/2022/08/virginia-patton-dead-last-its-a-wondefu-life-adult-cast-member-was-97-obituary-1235097106/

That is quite remarkable, the film has a special place for me it helped me many many years ago as I am sure it has many others.

R.I.P. Virginia Patton
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Just learned about Wolfgang Petersen’s passing.

Das Boot is probably the best war film I’ve ever seen, and while that might be a very subjective statement, it’s undeniably a classic of the genre.

Another one I always enjoyed a lot, and I think more than others, was Troy, old-school epic entertainment with a great cast and spectacular action.

RIP Mr Petersen :(
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Former Kansas City Chiefs QB, Len Dawson and NFL Hall of Famer was died at the age of 87.
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34451383/hall-fame-qb-len-dawson-led-kansas-city-chiefs-super-bowl-iv-win-dies-age-87

One of the reasons that many of the losses of the past few years hurt so much, is the realization that “the youth” of my generation will soon be just a memory. From musicians, sports stars, astronauts, actors, etc.., it is – one by one – becoming a smaller circle by the day. So, even though I’m a New York Jets fan, when I saw that Mr. Dawson had passed away, I became more than just a little teary eyed.

I really love this picture – and it is now all over twitter – of Dawson smoking a cig at half-time during Super Bowl I (in January 1967). An iconic photo (which wasn’t released at the time), for me nothing captures the spirt of “that was then, and this is now.”

I was going to watch a Bond movie tonight, but instead I think I watch “Full Color Football” – a great five- part documentary series that the Showtime Network produced about 15 years ago (or so) on the history of the American Football League. Rarely has a sport documentary placed its’ subject in the context of an era – the 1960s. (I’ll post the link in the NFL tread). To quote from the home page of the “Remember the AFL” website:

The nineteen-sixties were a time of turmoil, vision, and change. The Cold War; the Kennedys; the race for the moon. Personally, it was the decade of my marriage, and the births of my children: in short, the best time of my life. In sports, too, the winds of change were blowing: goodbye, Bronko Nagurski, George Halas, three yards and a cloud of dust. Hello, Lance Alworth, Tom Sestak, Joe Namath and Johnny Robinson. So long to the Browns' orange pumpkins, hello to the 'Bolts!
    The 'sixties: it was Camelot, it was the Beatles, it was Mare Tranquilitatis, it was "Aquarius":
    it was the AFL.

RIP Mr. Dawson and thanks for helping to make that history
  • GoldenGun wrote: »
    Just learned about Wolfgang Petersen’s passing.

Das Boot is probably the best war film I’ve ever seen, and while that might be a very subjective statement, it’s undeniably a classic of the genre.

Another one I always enjoyed a lot, and I think more than others, was Troy, old-school epic entertainment with a great cast and spectacular action.

RIP Mr Petersen :(

Big fan of Troy here too. Despite the cast, that movie never felt too Hollywoodized to me. It was a great throwback to the sword-and-sandal epics. Very entertaining and very well done. I just wish the theatrical cut was available on Blu-ray.

Das Boot as you say is a classic war film, and Wolfgang Petersen gave us another classic in another genre with The NeverEnding Story. He has indeed left behind a quality filmography.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    A nice gesture by the Kansas City Chiefs to replicate Dawson’s famous “Choir Huddle” at the start of last night’s pre-season game. Also, it was thought-full of their opponents - The Green Bay Packers - to decline the delay of game penalty that resulted.
    Remembering our member @barryt007 on the first anniversary of his death. A much missed member. Thinking of his wife and family today. 💐
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited August 2022 Posts: 3,391
    Remembering our member @barryt007 on the first anniversary of his death. A much missed member. Thinking of his wife and family today. 💐

His dead? I'm shocked to learn about it, when did he died? I'm seeing his posts here thinking that he's still alive.
    To @barryt007 I am sure he would have been happy to see Arsenal unbeaten and at the top of the Premier League.Thoughts with his family.
    MI6HQ wrote: »

His dead? I'm shocked to learn about it, when did he died? I'm seeing his posts here thinking that he's still alive.

Sadly he died on Saturday 28th August 2021, aged 51. He'd been away from the forum since November 2019 but he was still fondly remembered here. Happily his posts are still around and he started a lot of popular threads here that are his legacy.

Yes, I miss his posts, good humour on here!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    To @barryt007. I miss you, man.
    @barryt007 was a good friend and a sorely missed member of the forum. I feel lucky that we got to interact over one of the things we both loved over the years.
    Sadly we never did get to have that beer together.
    RIP mate.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited August 2022 Posts: 3,391
    We'd never hear his thoughts on NTTD, what do you think would be @barryt007's reaction?
    edited August 2022 Posts: 17,810
    We'd never hear his thoughts on NTTD, what do you think would be @barryt007's reaction?

It's impossible to answer that as we'll never know and there's no point in speculating. I know they played the Billie Eilish theme song at the beginning of his funeral which was a nice tribute to his long-standing Bond fandom. Bond was a big part of his life and he was a big and much-missed part of this forum.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    To @barryt007. Can't believe it's been a year already. I haven't heard from Vangie in some time, I hope she's doing better these days.

I think we should leave the thoughts of those who have passed alone. We sadly have no way of knowing.
    This is a thread for remembering those who are no longer with us, not a thread to guess what they might think of things.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Benny wrote: »

I think we should leave the thoughts of those who have passed alone. We sadly have no way of knowing.
    This is a thread for remembering those who are no longer with us, not a thread to guess what they might think of things.

I agree completely.

One of Norway s finest actors, Espen Skjønberg, recently passed away at the age of 98.
    argNdQcskNBC8aSNcRkoug1fl8mmooBzer3wneRoTWgQ.jpg
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    RIP @barryt007, sorely missed.

Was bummed to hear that the lovely Margaret Urlich passed away on the 22nd of August, she's on my childhood soundtrack with songs like 'Escaping', 'Number One' and backing vocals on Daryl Braithwaite's 'The Horses'. She was only 57. Really nice vibes here: