Rest In Peace, show your respects to those who have passed away.

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Legendary British entertainer Dame Vera Lynn has sadly passed away at the age of 103.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53091856

A true sweetheart to all in the UK, young and old.
    RIP Dame Vera.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Jean Kennedy Smith has passed away at the age of 92. She was the last remaining sibling of President JFK.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53095039
    Dame Vera Lynn was really the voice that kept a country together in its darkest hour. She deserves every tribute paid to her.

Another centenarian passed away in France recently : Former cop turned writer Roger Borniche, who passed away aged 101. His novels told of his work against french criminals like Émile Buisson, René la Canne or Pierrot le Fou, the most famous being Flic Story, where Alain Delon payed him.

https://www.leparisien.fr/culture-loisirs/livres/mort-de-roger-borniche-a-101-ans-flic-et-romancier-a-succes-17-06-2020-8337072.php
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Oh no. Ian Holm has died, age 88. :-(

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/jun/19/ian-holm-dies-alien-chariots-of-fire-bilbo-baggins

Lord of War, The Lord of the Rings, Alien, The Aviator, The Fifth Element. Great career for an immense actor.

ash-alien.jpg
    Ian-Holm.jpg
    10-amazing-facts-about-the-lord-of-the-rings-trilogy-5.jpg
    aviator1flyjkt-cl-jkt1.jpg
    MV5-BMTQ4-NDQz-Mzc4-MF5-BMl5-Ban-Bn-Xk-Ft-ZTcw-Nz-Ey-Nzkw-NQ-V1-SY1000-CR0-0-1504-1000-AL.jpg

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    He also left an impression in Greystoke.
    RIP Ian Holm. An excellent, versatile actor.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    RIP Ian Holm
    Wanderful actor. Alien, LOTR, The Fifth Element, Lord Of War, From Hell, ... He will be missed.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    RIP Ian Holm.

Wonderful and and versatile actor. Could be chilling in Alien and then hilarious in Time Bandits. Wonderful career.

I think he would have made a great Hannibal Lecter...

Aw man , one of my favourite actors. Sheers class.
    R.I.P. Ian Holm.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Ian Holm, what a huge loss. Big fan of Alien and the Lord of the Rings franchise and he always shined in everything else I saw him in. RIP.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 2,895
    Ian Holm also had a couple of Bondian connections.

He acted with Sean Connery in Robin and Marian (1975) and the next year appeared with Roger Moore in Shout at the Devil (directed by Peter Hunt). Both movies are very much worth your time if you haven't seen them!
    And in 1981 he played Napoleon in Time Bandits, which features Connery as Agamemnon.
    All three I've seen, all worth your time indeed.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    What a loss Ian Holm is. A superb actor, in any role he appeared. RIP.
    Just learned that Joel Schumacher, director of The Lost Boys, has passed away from cancer, aged 80 :

https://www.cbr.com/batman-joel-schumacker-obituary/
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Yeah, wow, that came unexpectedly. RIP, Joel.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    R.I.P. Ian Holm and Joel Schumacher.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,441
    Phone Booth, Bad Company, Tigerland and Batman Forever / Batman & Robin i have in my collection, the last three on BD. The Client is mabey one of his moost dark movie i have seen from wim. Mabey i have seen A Time to Kill too.

Classic..

RIP..
    RIP Joel Schumacher. I love his Phantom of the Opera adaptation and Falling Down a lot.
    R.I.P. Joel Schumacher
    Really liked 'Falling Down', great thriller!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    p-gCnE86TO7296TcQKNyHjllQ9TVGvxtFtbg2hdhMxT1rjeGaciBOhTsp3hKCF2VHKx0P0sYvsAr-f8BsDenzmBx9QpfAU_J9EMnrlUmNlY61STz5SV0SSbWIg

... where hearts were entertaining June
    We stood beneath an amber moon
    And softly murmured "Someday soon"
    We kissed and clung together

Then, tomorrow was another day
    The morning found me miles away
    With still a million things to say
    Now, when twilight dims the skies above
    Recalling thrills of our love
    There's one thing I'm certain of
    Return, I will,
    to old
    Brazil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMyCAhDb2to

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Wow, Ian Holm. Great actor in so many great films :(
    RIP, Sir.
    Sadly, Schumacher will likely always be judged by his two Batman movies. A non-fanboy opinion, I personally really like Batman Forever, much more than Batman Returns, which seems very much overrated in fan communities.

He did a lot of varied work and a lot of his films were entertaining. Another film that didn't get good reviews but was big when I was a teen was St. Elmo's Fire, which helped launch the Brat Pack. I thought Phone Booth was also a nice little thriller. Sad to hear of his passing, but can always enjoy the work.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 3,564
    Joe Sinnott has passed. One of the greatest Marvel Comics artists ever. His inks (and occasional pencils) on the Fantastic Four, Thor, etc. etc. will be remembered as long as comic books continue to be published. For those who like to know little, behind the scenes details: Joe was a fan of the New York Giants baseball team in his younger days -- and when the team moved to San Francisco, Joe's loyalty to his team remained strong over the decades, just as his loyalty to Marvel Comics never flagged. Rest well, Joe.
    A lot of comic legends passing these days. Sad.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Carl Reiner has died, age 98. RIP. :-(

https://www.inquisitr.com/6139014/carl-reiner-dead/
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 3,564
    My first introduction to the genius of Carl Reiner was as a producer, writer, and occasional actor on The Dick Van Dyke Show. Here's Carl as Alan Brady (in the Santa Claus outfit) from the Christmas episode of that landmark series:
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    "Every morning before having breakfast, I pick up my newspaper, get the obituary section and see if I'm listed. If I'm not, I have my breakfast." - Carl Reiner

Thanks Carl, but I think they also serve breakfast in the afterlife!
    RIP
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    R.I.P Carl Reiner I love his films Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid is one of my favourites, his collaborations with Steve Martin are brilliant.

Though the film I watch more than any that Carl made is Fatal Instinct, its just so utterly stupid its hilarious...

98 great age
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    R.I.P Carl Reiner I love his films Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid is one of my favourites, his collaborations with Steve Martin are brilliant.

Aha, so that s him. That movie is in a league of its own.
    "The cleaning woman ! The cleaning woman ! The cleaning woman !" Hilarious, nostalgic, great in all respects. Farewell, Mr. Reiner.