James Bond Documentary Everything or Nothing Coming Oct. 5

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    In defence of Sean Connery:

Obviously Sean was a HUGE reason why the movie series took off, but he never shared, financially, in that success to anything like the same degree as the producers, or, for example Roger Moore. Imagine being (at least in your mind) one of the co-creators of a business phenomenon which goes on to make hundreds of millions of dollars, but be paid a very tiny percentage of that.

Its very easy for us to think wow, he should have just been grateful for what he got, and it made him millions, and launched his career. However, I think its hard to appreciate just how frustrated or bitter such a situation could make a person feel.
    At the same time, the money shouldn't matter, especially since he has gotten so much from his springboard career as Bond hit in the 60s. It is about loving the art, not for the money, but for the pleasure of doing it. I guess Sean can't learn that.
  • An utterly ridiculous and extremely naive statement. Huge movies involve huge amounts of dedicated energy, time, and investment. They can have artistic merit, but need to stack up in a business sense too. If you are a key ingredient to making something like that profitable, yet you don't get to share in the profits as much as the other players, then you have a right to feel aggrieved. Actors can be paid a lot, but there are always taxes to be paid, and various other downsides like loss of privacy, type-casting, and the fact that acting is precarious profession where there are never any guarantees that you will even get work again. If the actor is a key reason why millions of people around the world pay to see the movie, then fair they should be compensated for it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    An utterly ridiculous and extremely naive statement. Huge movies involve huge amounts of dedicated energy, time, and investment. They can have artistic merit, but need to stack up in a business sense too. If you are a key ingredient to making something like that profitable, yet you don't get to share in the profits as much as the other players, then you have a right to feel aggrieved. Actors can be paid a lot, but there are always taxes to be paid, and various other downsides like loss of privacy, type-casting, and the fact that acting is precarious profession where there are never any guarantees that you will even get work again. If the actor is a key reason why millions of people around the world pay to see the movie, then fair they should be compensated for it.

Don't act like I am generalizing here. I am speaking about Sean's case only. I think he should be happy for all the other work he has gotten since Bond, because he wouldn't be even 1/5 the legend he is now without the role. He is acting smug about it, acting like it is all that matters. No appreciation for those that gave a working class Scot a chance. He just comes off as ungrateful, and the thing is that he didn't seem to like acting for its own sake. Bond was much another role for him, nothing special, and he tired of it easily. I guess it took years for the films to gain popularity until the role garnered the honor that it carries when an actor is chosen for the part, and the immense flattery that the lead should feel for being chosen.
    I'm rendering a better version of @Artemis 's video (thanks again buddy). I changed the aspect ratio and will try to get it in 720p HD. We'll see how it turns out. Will upload and link when complete.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Do you think this one won't freeze for a minute at around the one hour, seven minute mark?
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 5,745
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Do you think this one won't freeze for a minute at around the one hour, seven minute mark?

Hold on, haha. Let me check before I finish it. I didn't seem to have that problem. Will edit in a minute, brb.

EDIT: Hmm.. your right. It's for a good few seconds too. I'll see what I can do. POSTPONED!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited October 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Thanks, it would be nice to see that minute if possible but it's not the end of the world, if you can't get it working.

I'm surprised you didn't have that problem. It's even mentioned in the video description, so I was aware of it before I watched the documentary for the first time.
  • I didn't upload it, I just found it.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Thanks, it would be nice to see that minute if possible but it's not the end of the world, if you can't get it working.

I'm surprised you didn't have that problem. It's even mentioned in the video description, so I was aware of it before I watched the documentary for the first time.

I likely spaced out. Brosnan was talking :P

I've tried twice to download a new version and twice it's failed. I could get you the audio, but apparently the visuals are going to be a hassle.

I'll get back to it tomorrow. I just hate it has to take so long for things to download, render, etc.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I'm rendering a better version of @Artemis 's video (thanks again buddy). I changed the aspect ratio and will try to get it in 720p HD. We'll see how it turns out. Will upload and link when complete.
    That would be cool if you could do that. Unforturately, my video converting skills are not that great, but then again the software I have is rather mediocre.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Unfortunately, this wasn't due to the encoding. The TV signal froze as I was capturing it (me yelling "Nooooooo!" when it happened). The only thing one can do is trim the frozen segment, but I'm afraid that part of the footage is lost.

I originally had taken your video, changed the aspect ratio (easy to do, just go into properties in your video editor) and I was going to render it at a higher quality.

But then I had an issue, and then Samuel brought up the 'minute', so I tried to record it straight from Epix with some software I decided to try -which doesn't work- and now I'll have to go super ..non-illegal.. to get it. Which is fine. If that 'list' exists, I'm already on it ;)

But that's for tomorrow :)
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    Recording straight from Epix would be the best bet, but I know what you mean, unless you can do it legally it's kinda tough.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    I didn't upload it, I just found it.
    And I've just watched it Thankyou
    if we could get a 720p version thats not been upscaled from these previous links- just straight off the channel that would be super! i'm holding off watching it till I find it in HD.
  • Same. Im surprised that torrent sites havent got it up yet. By all means it brilliant that it is available online, is there any way to sort out the aspect ratio and quality?
    edited October 2012 Posts: 28,694
    What a phenomenal documentary. A completely unbiased look at the men who made Bond everything he is. Daddy Ian. Uncle Harry and Cubby. And of course, the 6 sons, Sean, George, Roger, Tim, Pierce, and Dan. I love everything about this film, and how it gave such a great look into the character we all love, and the rises, falls, and reinvigorations that those who have been with Bond from the jump. The intertwining of scenes from the films with some of the stories that matched the action being told about was extremely creative. And what great interviews with the Bond actors of both past and present, getting a little peek into what it was like. I especially enjoy Pierce's reaction to the kite surfing in DAD. Yeah, he knew it was stupid too, folks. But more importantly, this film moved me, and that is what will keep it in my memory. Seeing all that has been and will continue to be for Bond, all he has traversed and overcome against all odds is an amazing thing to behold. He has stood up to villains both onscreen and off, and has always managed to keep holding on no matter what. Seeing the montage at the end of all that he is and will always be makes me warm inside, and then Barry's score pops in and the feeling of joy multiplied. And of course there is that last phone call with Sean and Cubby. I heard people talking about that a few weeks back, and though I didn't know what the call was about, I knew that it had to be near Cubby's death, and after GE, before TWINE. As soon as I heard Barbara's voice get cracked, I was sure it was coming. And boy did it come hard. I burst into tears, and still want to just thinking about it as I am typing. Such a tender moment between Sean and Cubby, two men who were instrumental in making Bond what he is today. That by far has to be my favorite moment of the film, and really completes the picture for me. That there is a loving family unit to the series. Like with Harry and Cubby, there will always be fights, but then there is time for forgiveness and reconciliation. Knowing now what went down with Sean and Cubby before the latter's death, I take back all the trouble I have given Sean for not showing any love for what he has been given. It is clear that Sean is grateful, and was even back then at the time of the call. That is more than I can ever ask for. Overall, my whole being has been maximized like never before. Just watching this documentary has brought up lovely feelings of my affair with Bond, and why I hold the character, his creators, and his interpretations so dear. Here's to a happy 50th, and hopefully 50 more wonderful years of 007, the spy to end all spies.

bond3.gif

tumblr_lbhavnVvzY1qex40do1_r1_500.gif

• edited October 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Watched this last night. Great documentary. Here's a few thoughts from me:

Lazenby's a dude. I'm not his biggest fan as Bond but he did make me laugh when he was recounting his story about taking a girl on a date to see Dr No. The bloke was having a blast. He clearly wasn't the brightest spark back then though. Was he joking when he said he needed to look up what the word "redundant" meant?

Connery's not portrayed very favourably. The clip where he proclaims Cubby to be the "first Bond villain" on that chat show made me cringe. At least there was a sort of happy book end to the conflict though.

Good interview from Dalton but blimey was he theatrical, both in appearance and manner ("Here was a hero who MURDERED in COLD BLOOD")

"I guess I've always liked a challenge" - hello Simon Skinner ;)

Robert Davi looks like an old school mobster in that hat

As people said above Brozza was funny and it seems that he's mellowed a bit. His reaction to the windsurfing scene is hilarious and I ended up replaying it several times. Lee Tamahori should watch it and see the star of his Bond film laugh at just how silly the whole thing was.

HOWEVER it's clear he never took complete control of the role himself but rather left a lot of the creative decisions to MGW and BB.

Famke Janssen is a babe ("Just...throw me hard")

Most of the Brosnan films were pretty shallow. Entertaining but more about spectacle and action rather than drama and story.

When Rosumund Pike bashes the film she was in and accuses it of losing credibility you know the film is bad.

It's cool they got President Clinton to appear
  • RC7RC7
    I ended up seeing this in the cinema a few weeks back. I'm glad I did as it had quite an impact.

One thing I couldn't stop thinking about afterwards was this...

One of, if not the most poignant part of the movie was Barbara recalling the phonecall between Cubby and Sean. However, afterwards I couldn't help feeling a little cheated as Sean went on to get involved with McClory again with Warhead 2000 (Something not addressed). It took the sting out of what should have been great closure for the two of them IMO.

edited October 2012 Posts: 28,694
    But with Warhead 2000, I don't think Sean was still looking to get one over on Cubby (if that was his intention before anyway), and it wasn't a Bond film that could target the franchise and possibly hurt it. It's a free country, and Sean should have been allowed to work with McClory. No harm in it, and since it wasn't a Bond project, let it happen.
  • RC7RC7
    It's a free country, and Sean should have been allowed to work with McClory. No harm in it, and since it wasn't a Bond project, let it happen.

I just find it unnecessary on Sean's part. Why couldn't he just leave it? That's Sean I guess.

RC7 wrote:
    It's a free country, and Sean should have been allowed to work with McClory. No harm in it, and since it wasn't a Bond project, let it happen.

I just find it unnecessary on Sean's part. Why couldn't he just leave it? That's Sean I guess.
    Like I said, it doesn't matter that he worked with McClory. The important thing was that the film wasn't a hit at Bond, and didn't seem to be made to spite EON in any way. I can't fault Sean for that.
  • RC7RC7
    edited October 2012 Posts: 10,512
    RC7 wrote:

Like I said, it doesn't matter that he worked with McClory. The important thing was that the film wasn't a hit at Bond, and didn't seem to be made to spite EON in any way. I can't fault Sean for that.

How was it not a hit at Bond? It was a Thunderball remake once again. Do you not think it's a slight kick in the knackers to Cubby? It wasn't exactly a once in a lifetime opportunity for an actor and he certainly didn't need to money. This was the guy who's court case had finished of Fleming and as good as finished off Cubby.
    I like how they also ignored that Fleming apparently hated Dr No when he first saw it.
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    can I just say:

gbeon.jpg

what a killer shot that is, pun intended.
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited October 2012 Posts: 1,243
    A good documentary though I hope they make it longer when it comes out on DVD. You could easily make it twice as long and I would have made the interviews with the Bond actors longer. Because one day they will not be around to set the record straight.

I wish Sean was in it. He is a very important missing piece in terms of him now rather than archive footage. In fact, I wish they got all the Bonds together in the same room as the 50th year anniversary deserves that. It would be nice to see them all together. I can only wish I guess, but doubt I am alone in wishing that!
  • Just watched the documentary myself

Very interesting and very enjoyable. Not biased at all and was fair and frank. emotional in places too, especially Cubby and Sean's phonecall!

I consider TSWLM and OP 2 of the best Bond movies of all time. Is interesting to hear how pre production of both of them was haunted by acrimony and fights what with the Saltzman/Broccoli split and Mcclory and NSNA. Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson freely admit they tried harder with these films and the results are clear due to the quality.

Sean Connery is right. I think he was taken for a ride a bit, interesting to hear what David Picker had to say about it. Sean Connery, for all his public sentiments, loves and cares about Bond and the movies. I can bet he has already seen Skyfall and to his credit, he has defended and supported every Bond actor since he gave up the tuxedo, including Craig. Connery was close friends with Moore, praised Dalton, visited Brosnan and defended Craig. He is an ambassador in his own way, just more freelanced.

Lazenby stole the show in the documentary for me. Terrific and honest interview, he seems a good man who just was too head strong and had bad advice. But he admits his mistakes now and the decision has haunted him. Dalton was intensely brilliant, surprisingly passionate about the role. If only MGM had kept there financial house in order and the Third Dalton film could have been made...what might have been!

Interesting to hear Mendes was a Craig doubter too...and to be honest, Craig did look ridiculous in his initial press conference but he trimmed, groomed and bulked up well it has to be said compared to those days!
    Well, according to Barbara Cubby and Sean reconciled. But why didn't Sean come to Cubby's funeral? Roger told us in his book that he invited them both to his home. Cubby was sad because Sean supposedly had told a newspaper that "he wouldn't even piss in Cubby's ear if it was on fire". When they met at Rogers place Cubby asked Sean if he really had said so. Sean replied: "Cubby, I will piss in your ear anytime".

Was that a sign of peace? I don't know.
    For those who think it will be a good idea to reunite the actors. That will never happen. Sean is not interested in Bond what so ever. Brosnan isn't that keen.

Daniel, Roger, George and Tim is up for it, I'm sure. But that is not a complete set.
    When does the docu come out in England???
    chrisM wrote:
    When does the docu come out in England???

Not sure if this will happen at all? Hoping it will be part of the special features when the film is released for sale next year?