Brosnan's on-screen chemistry

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Sub par actresses is no excuse. The 60s Bond movies were littered with women who weren't excellent actresses at all, some of them werent even actresses but spky models and yet they had good chemistry and put on decent performances. Daniella Bianchi, Christine Auger spring to mind, who else?
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 11,189
    doubleoego wrote:
    Sub par actresses is no excuse. The 60s Bond movies were littered with women who weren't excellent actresses at all, some of them werent even actresses but spky models and yet they had good chemistry and put on decent performances. Daniella Bianchi, Christine Auger spring to mind, who else?

The key phrase there is "put in decent performances".

The likes of Denise Richards, Halle Berry and (to use an example from another era) Tilisa Soto couldn't do that
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 1,492
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Do you really think Dalton or Craig would/could create chemistry with the likes of Denise or Halle? I don't. Dalton didn't have much chemistry with either Bliss or Tilisa Soto (both sub-par actresses). So far Craig's been given a pretty good hand in terms of actresses so who knows. You can't "create" chemistry anyway - it's either there or it isn't.

That is actually a very good poiint. How much of the actresses acting ability is responsible for good chemistry.

For example it can be argued that Diana Rigg did most of the work in OHMSS and the chemistry is superb while, as you said, Talisa Soto was hired for her looks rather then her acting ability and even Dalton couldn't save her.

And it is noticebale that that actress Brozzer has the best relationship with was Sophie Marceau who is one hell of an actress.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I don't like the word "chemistry" - it's too overused :p

yes, it is very Twilight/EE. Beloved of 'shippers' everywhere.
    I think Brosnan had great on-screen chemistry with pretty much everyone. But I think Moore was even MOORE charismatic. And about Brosnan's "greatest hits tribute act", I loved it. After Craig's IMO very different Bond movies (so far), I'd like the next Bond to be more in line with the Moore and Brosnan. A tribute act in some sort of way would be fine my be, what's better than keeping Moore's spirit alive not only in Bond's portrayal, but also the style of the movies?

I think it's safe to say that DC is in the line of Connery and Dalton. You're not going to get Moore or Brosnan. Although Craig has a great sense of humor and would both welcome and deliver plenty of good one liners, or so he says.

Yes, I see bits of both Connery and Dalton in Craig, and I am happy with him in the role (especially after reading that he welcomes plenty of good one-liners). What I meant was that I want the next Bond actor to be more in line with Brosnan and Moore. I wasn't being clear enough when writing my last message so I don't blame you for anything. But Craig is most welcome to become the new Brosnan or Moore, however this is highly unlikely. :-bd

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2012 Posts: 12,459
    Brosnan had lovely chemistry and I liked his voice. Sean's Scottish accent was a wee bit strong at times; no problem with any Irish, Welsh or Northern England coming thru for me.

Great chemistry with Natalya
    Fine chemstry with Wai Lin
    Strong chemistry with Elektra
    Mixed with Paris (and it did suit the character)
    Middling with Christmas (well really I didn't take to her character either)
    Low wattage with Jinx (can you blame him?)

Brosnan is fun and charming, and can also play serious. To me he has obvious chemistry with his co-stars (not just sexual chemistry) like with Q and M and Valentin and Moneypenny. Very nice indeed.

I just enjoy Brosnan's Bond, even when the films aren't as strong, and one reason is because of his chemistry with the other actors for sure.
    Brosnan is fun and charming, and can also play serious. To me he has obvious chemistry with his co-stars (not just sexual chemistry) like with Q and M and Valentin and Moneypenny. Very nice indeed.

I just enjoy Brosnan's Bond and one reason is because of his chemistry with the other actors for sure.

Agreed. He was one great Bond IMO.
    actonsteve wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

I don't like the word "chemistry" - it's too overused :p

yes, it is very Twilight/EE. Beloved of 'shippers' everywhere.

Sir Anthony Hopkins said a similar thing in an interview I saw him in a few years ago. His attitude was "just show up...get on with it".

Also in regard to Majesty's I'd agree that Rigg "did most of the work". She 'looked after' Laz and was often the more dominant figure in their scenes together.
    edited August 2012 Posts: 581
    Nataylia- Great Chemestary good pair
    Xenia- Some sexual tension
    Paris- hmmm not sure (i didnt like her charater- shame it wasnt Monica Belluci)
    Wai-Lin: some good tension mainly as a working partnership
    Elextra- Excellent Chemisitary
    Christmas- Was alright could tell there was a bit of sexual tension- better than Jinx
    Miranda- Sexual Tension and the scene after they made love was rather unintentional poigant- i really wanted Miranda to turn away from the dark side
    Jinx- i hated her and there wasnt much chemestary- Halle Berry isnt a good actress
    Serena- well its a video game (id say she and bond had the same line of chemenstary as Wai-Lin or Christmas)
    002 wrote:
    Sexual Tension with Christmas (well it was alright)

That was probably when she "came more than once a year" at the end ;)

On a side note I do quite like when Broz says to Christmas "thought I'd forgotten you eh?" in the sub.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Having rewatched all the films for my Bondathon, with DAD being watched a few days ago, I can say without any doubt that Brosnan never really clcked with any of his leading ladies (i'm not including his awful scenes with Bonds MP, as she wasn't a Bond Girl*).

* Thankfully.
    I could (and have) watched these scenes over and over* They're good scenes and I'd take them anyday over the truly cringe worthy Bliss.

I actually think the two "women" Brosnan clicked with most were Samantha and Judi. Both actresses have said in the subsequent years that working with him was "lovely" and were sorry to see him go (as far as I know Dench went further and expressed her anger at EON).

*love how he raises his eyebrows at 3.08
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    a_clockwork_orange_3.jpg
    "ARRGGGHH! No, not the Moneypenny scene."

You're trying to torture me, aren't you BAIN? ;)

On a serious note, I will say that Brosnan did click with Dench's M (as much as I don't quite like her interpretation) better than Craig. The "London Underground" scene in DAD was one of my few highlights in that film.
    a_clockwork_orange_3.jpg
    "ARRGGGHH! No, not the Moneypenny scene."

You're trying to torture me, aren't you BAIN? ;)

On a serious note, I will say that Brosnan did click with Dench's M (as much as I don't quite like her interpretation) better than Craig. The "London Underground" scene in DAD was one of my few highlights in that film.

Nah...If I were to torture you I'd show you this ;):

:-&

Even on the screenshot Dalton looks awkward and uncomfortable

or this...Sex Offender Bond :))

God I hate Halle Berry so much in this film (aaaarrghh!!!). At least Brosnan's just thinking "screw it...I'm going to have some fun". With Berry it's as if she thinks it's her movie.

I just got the significance of this scene now. Bond is like the audience and leering at Halle along with us ;)
    edited August 2012 Posts: 13,894
    Torture me with something I like? How does that work, too much of a good thing?

I think Bond:MP's little lap dog act in GE takes the Gold medal in worst Moneypenny olympics. Even Pamela Salem was better and that was in NSNA.
    Torture me with something I like? How does that work, too much of a good thing?

I think Bond:MP's little lap dog act in GE takes the Gold medal in worst Moneypenny olympics. Even Pamela Salam was better and that was in NSNA.

I think Calvin Dyson puts it best at 3.10 :))

Ouch, and I bet that was the sugar coated version. ;)
    Ouch, and I bet that was the sugar coated version. ;)

With fairness I will admit Salem is worse than Bliss. At least Bliss looked sort of attractive. Connery (and he IS Sean Connery in that film as opposed to James Bond) looks like a horny middle aged dad aswell - he'd aged more than Brosnan had by DAD.
    is it just me but I never really got the feeling Brossers Bond was that interested in the ladies, maybe it was all played down a bit, my memory may be playing tricks on me but I don't think Brosser managed 3 or 4 conquests per film like in the old days?
    is it just me but I never really got the feeling Brossers Bond was that interested in the ladies, maybe it was all played down a bit, my memory may be playing tricks on me but I don't think Brosser managed 3 or 4 conquests per film like in the old days?

In TWINE he had the doctor, Elektra and Christmas. Otherwise I think Brosnan was quite interested in women, if anyone wasn't it was Dalton IMO (and to an extent Craig).

Hmm...lets think??

GE:
    -Evaluator
    -Natalya

TND
    -Fit Danish student
    -Paris
    -Wai Lin

TWINE
    -Polly
    -Electra
    -Christmas

DAD
    -Jinx
    -Miranda

I'd say of all the Bond's Dalton was the least interested in women and the least "philanderish" bar the odd exception. I can't imagine his Bond having sex with 5 married women at one time.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Being someone who lives 25 minutes away from where Brozza was born, I can tell you that his accent is no more Irish than any of the other Bond actors. His constantly changing living arrangements in his youth ensured that his accent was always going to end up as something that can only be described as Mid-Atlantic.

Hell, when Brosnan attempted an Irish accent in Evelyn, it ended up all over the place.

But anyway, on topic. Yes I agree he had some good chemistry there, with Scorupco, Yeoh, Marceau and Frost. But Richards and Berry? Nah. Nobody could have had chemistry with those two with the performances they gave.

As for Hatcher? She may as well have not even been there.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 3,494
    @ Bain- It's Molly Warmflash, not Polly.

Now that we know CraigMoore is Irish, we can safely describe his accent as "Mid-Atlantic". Which doesn't sound anywhere near British in tone or description. Too Americanized for my liking. I rest my case.

Now that we know CraigMoore is Irish, we can safely describe his accent as "Mid-Atlantic". Which doesn't sound anywhere near British in tone or description. Too Americanized for my liking. I rest my case.

I'm pretty sure its Polly. Brosnan refers to her as such wen he's about to shag her ("Polly, I need a clean bill of health...you have to clear me for duty")

I wouldn't say his accent is full blown American...but neither is it full blown Irish or English. Its a mish mash of all three.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 3,494
    BAIN123 wrote:

I'm pretty sure its Polly. Brosnan refers to her as such wen he's about to shag her ("Polly, I need a clean bill of health...you have to clear me for duty")

I think his Mid-Atlantic Irish accent threw you off =))

IMDB says Molly Warmflash by the way. As does Wikipedia if that source matters.
    BAIN123 wrote:

I think his Mid-Atlantic Irish accent threw you off =))

IMDB says Molly Warmflash by the way. As does Wikipedia if that source matters.

Dammit. It is Molly. All this time I thought it was Polly :(
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It's Molly, alright. Molly Warmflash.
    You've got me :( He sounds like he's saying Polly though.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Turn on the subtitles to double check, if you wish.

It's always sounded like Molly to me, but then again I knew that was her name. It's the accent, not the clearest in the world.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Turn on the subtitles to double check, if you wish.

It's always sounded like Molly to me, but then again I knew that was her name. It's the accent, not the clearest in the world.

Way ahead of you ;)

That's how I was proved wrong. Suppose I should have checked in my Bond encyclopedia

I don't think his accent sounds "American" in that scene though. If it did it would sound more like "Maa-ley"