Brosnan's on-screen chemistry

edited August 2012 in Actors Posts: 4,400
I've recently re-watched the Brosnan Bond films. GE is always faultless, the other 3 are with their flaws. But one of the stand out features from all 4 films is the impeccable chemistry that Brosnan has with his co-stars. The guy oozes charm and it shows on screen, everyone seems to be enjoying the time they spend with him. In particular, Brozzy has great chemistry with all his leading ladies, izabella scorupco and him are fantasy together, as is Brosnan and Michelle Yeoh. Hatcher is the only one who suffers, but they notably didn't get on when filming and she cant act for toffee.
Is the chemistry Brosnan is able to produce something others have noticed too?
There must have been a reason everyone gushed about him when he was Bond, it shows in the performances in the final film for sure in my opinion.
I think a lot has to do with his natural charm and charisma, when Pierce does a cheeky or playful smile the whole audience seems to be always smiling with him.
Brosnan=the most charismatic Bond surely?

Comments

This is how I'd rank the "chemistry" levels with Brosnan's ladies.

Natalya - quite a lot
    Paris Carver - not much, awkward together (part of me thinks this suits the scene seeing as Bond was meant to have run off and left her)
    Wai Lin - some, worked well together
    Electra - quite a lot
    Christmas Jones - not much. She was more a sexual conquest and a "damsel in distress"
    Jinx - None. Brosnan looked annoyed after her "thrust" quip.

M - worked well, played against Dame Judi nicely
    MP - ditto.
    I´m too lazy to search right now, but come on, there are enough threads discussing this already.
  • When I think of charisma, I think Connery, Moore, and Craig. You can make a case for Brosnan playing well with his co-stars, but I'm looking for a lot more than that out of his Bond and just didn't get it. Sorry.

• edited August 2012 Posts: 11,189
    When I think of charisma, I think Connery, Moore, and Craig. You can make a case for Brosnan playing well with his co-stars, but I'm looking for a lot more than that out of his Bond and just didn't get it. Sorry.

What exactly are you looking for? Connery, Moore and Craig - like Brosnan - worked better with some stars more than others. Moore and Britt Eckland had zero "chemistry" in TMWTGG for instance (I even remember Moore referring to her as a "silly cow" at a talk I did in 2008).

...oh and I forgot to mention Dalton and Caroline Bliss (*vomits*)
    I don't think Brosnan had any chemistry with any of his leading ladies. The gal in GE, Natalya is the exception.
    HATCHER ZERO
    RICHARDS DOUBLE ZERO
    BERRY TRIPLE ZERO, zinch, Nada, Nyet, Nein, Mein Gott
    Zero chemistry. Zero presence.
    Getafix wrote:

He does have a presence. Watching GE right now on itv1. You obviously paid zero attention to the post in my other thread.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    I don't think Brosnan had any chemistry with any of his leading ladies. The gal in GE, Natalya is the exception.
    HATCHER ZERO
    RICHARDS DOUBLE ZERO

I think @OHMSS69 is right on the nose here. Brosnan was alright with the Natalya character but that's it. The poor guy really got short changed, as if EON were picking female leads because there was no chemistry between them! I'd love to see those screen tests...
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

He does have a presence. Watching GE right now on itv1. You obviously paid zero attention to the post in my other thread.

I have read you makimg the same post again and again and repetition does not make it any more convincing.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    HATCHER ZERO
    RICHARDS DOUBLE ZERO

I think @OHMSS69 is right on the nose here. Brosnan was alright with the Natalya character but that's it. The poor guy really got short changed, as if EON were picking female leads because there was no chemistry between them! I'd love to see those screen tests...

As HH said it was stunt casting, pure and simple. EON took who was popular ar the time and chucked them in.
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

I have read you makimg the same post again and again and repetition does not make it any more convincing.

You make pretty much the same remarks/comments all the time. You make threads deadicated to bashing the bloke and seem utterly incapable of:
    a. Moving on from him
    b. Accepting that he was well liked by quite a few people
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2012 Posts: 13,350
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    HATCHER ZERO
    RICHARDS DOUBLE ZERO

As HH said it was stunt casting, pure and simple. EON took who was popular ar the time and chucked them in.

Yeah, sure they did but without a screen test? I doubt it. We need to see them, I need to see them to prove there was some sort of casting process going on.
  • I don't think Brosnan's fault, but rather the writing's and and the actresses, especially Richards's and Berry's.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 3,494
    BAIN123 wrote:
    When I think of charisma, I think Connery, Moore, and Craig. You can make a case for Brosnan playing well with his co-stars, but I'm looking for a lot more than that out of his Bond and just didn't get it. Sorry.

What exactly are you looking for? Connery, Moore and Craig - like Brosnan - worked better with some stars more than others. Moore and Britt Eckland had zero "chemistry" in TMWTGG for instance (I even remember Moore referring to her as a "silly cow" at a talk I did in 2008).

British accent for one. Irish American doesn't work for me, he doesn't sound like Bond. He sounds like Thomas Crown. Two, a defined interpretation that goes past ticking every known box and cliche. That's more of a script deficiency than his fault, but Craig gets an unfinished script about a rookie Bond, and not only does he still make me feel that he is Bond, the movie still beats Brosnan's last two films as far as what I like. If Pierce had any input as far as the character, it didn't show. Three, more physical presence. All the way back to Connery, the character is not someone you'd want to mess with. I don't get that from Pierce either. He has his moments here and there like the Kauffmann kill where I say "well done, that's Bond" but it's mostly by the numbers and leaves me with a "meh" feeling in general.

@ OHMSS69- you forgot "what the f*** were they thinking " in your Berry description ;)
    Samuel001 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    HATCHER ZERO
    RICHARDS DOUBLE ZERO

Yeah, sure they did but without a screen test? I doubt it. We need to see them, I need to see them to prove there was some sort of casting process going on.

Well they must have had a screen test for the likes of Tanya Roberts
    BAIN123 wrote:

British accent for one. Irish American doesn't work for me, he doesn't sound like Bond. He sounds like Thomas Crown. Two, a defined interpretation that goes past ticking every known box and cliche. That's more of a script deficiency than his fault, but Craig gets an unfinished script about a rookie Bond, and not only does he still make me feel that he is Bond, the movie still beats Brosnan's last two films as far as what I like. If Pierce had any input as far as the character, it didn't show. Three, more physical presence. All the way back to Connery, the character is not someone you'd want to mess with. I don't get that from Pierce either. He has his moments here and there like the Kauffmann kill where I say "well done, that's Bond" but it's mostly by the numbers and leaves me with a "meh" feeling in general.

@ OHMSS69- you forgot "what the f*** were they thinking " in your Berry description ;)

I'm British, I don't mind his accent. He probably sounded more "British" than the likes of John Gavin ever would have. His "American twang" comes through occasionally but not all the time.

Presence. He does have a presence. Granted he's a bit "lite" in GE but I suspect you'd still notice him if he walked into a room and sat down beside you - I would.

I just like the way he moves and his expressions (excluding his pain face - which I never even noticed until I came on here).

He's no Connery/Craig though - I'll admit that.
  • When his American twang doesn't come through, I hear Irish. Still doesn't sound like Bond to me. And John Gavin is an American, and even as an American I don't want one to play Bond. If he had a dead on believable accent and could really act, maybe worth a look, but Barbara and MGW don't seem inclined to go against Cubby's philosophy on that and I don't think the British would ever tolerate it.

I'd think Pierce looked the part if he sat down next to me, but once he started talking I'd still think the way I do.
    When his American twang doesn't come through, I hear Irish. Still doesn't sound like Bond to me. And John Gavin is an American, and even as an American I don't want one to play Bond. If he had a dead on believable accent and could really act, maybe worth a look, but Barbara and MGW don't seem inclined to go against Cubby's philosophy on that and I don't think the British would ever tolerate it.

I'd think Pierce looked the part if he sat down next to me, but once he started talking I'd still think the way I do.

And?? Connery's got a thick scottish accent and Dalts sometimes has a strong northern England accent ("Why don't you wait until you're aasked"). What have you got against the Irish?

BAIN123 wrote:
    When his American twang doesn't come through, I hear Irish. Still doesn't sound like Bond to me. And John Gavin is an American, and even as an American I don't want one to play Bond. If he had a dead on believable accent and could really act, maybe worth a look, but Barbara and MGW don't seem inclined to go against Cubby's philosophy on that and I don't think the British would ever tolerate it.

And?? Connery's got a thick scottish accent and Dalts sometimes has a strong northern England accent ("Why don't you wait until you're aasked").

For Connery - "Was it the funeral we saw yesterday"?

For Dalton - "You were just in time. Things were about to turn nasty".
    BAIN123 wrote:

And?? Connery's got a thick scottish accent and Dalts sometimes has a strong northern England accent ("Why don't you wait until you're aasked").

For Connery - "Was it the funeral we saw yesterday"?

For Dalton - "You were just in time. Things were about to turn nasty".

Yep. :)) :))
  • @SirHenryLeeChaChing I know you're not his biggest fan but I don't think you can deny that the guy had charisma.

Anyway, I think Brosnan had decent chemistry with all his girls except Berry.

Natalya- Great chemistry
    Paris- Meh chemistry
    Wai Lin- They had chemistry, made a good double act, maybe not enough sexual chemistry though, they shouldn't have ended up in bed together
    Elektra- Lots of chemistry.
    Jones- A bit of chemistry
    Frost- Good chemistry
    Berry- None.

British accent for one.

Don't mean to be a dick, but I think you mean ENGLISH accent. British would be a mix of Welsh, Scottish, English and Irish.

Anyway, I don't mind Brosnans accent at all, and I'm from the UK. What about Connery's accent?
    and even as an American I don't want one to play Bond. If he had a dead on believable accent and could really act, maybe worth a look, but Barbara and MGW don't seem inclined to go against Cubby's philosophy on that and I don't think the British would ever tolerate it.

I think most people in the UK would tolerate it, I would, as long as the actor could manage to do an accent without it coming across as some Family Guy style stereotype (pish posh, have some tea, that kind of accent).

• Settle down peeps, don't make me the evil Brosnan basher here looking for reasons not to like him. Nothing against the Irish at all, but Brosnan whether sounding Irish, American, or both simply doesn't sound like not the Bond I am accustomed to. I grew up with Connery and you can hear the Scot in him but to me he's Bond. Moore, Craig, Dalton, no issues, they sound English, they sound like Bond. Lazenby a little Aussie, but not that strong that I couldn't buy his voice. I consider Ireland (including the North) as different than the rest of Great Britain. Different island. Maybe I get some of that from having once dated a ravishing brunette from County Donegal for a bit (never could behave myself long term back then, my bad), but there it is. In my experience, as she wouldn't be the only Irish person I've ever known, the Irish don't think of themselves as Brits. Neither do I. Disagree if you like, but that's how I see it.

I have never seen an American that makes me think he would be a good Bond.
    I don't think Brosnan's accent/voice is all that bad though. A little soft at times (especially in GE)? Perhaps but he gets better.

Actually, you mention Moore in your previous post. One of the issues I've always had with Moore is that he looks, acts and sounds too much like 'Roger Moore' - that suave cool uncle you look up to - not James Bond. When I look at him and hear him speak I see/hear "Roger" first and Bond second, Dalton's voice is ok, commanding, powerful, but part of me wonders whether its a voice more suited to the stage. Craig's is monotone but good. He has an understated menace in his voice.

Anyway not going to get too far off topic.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Getafix wrote:

Lol you really do hate the guy.

I think Brosnan had great chemistry with Natalia and Moneypenny. However, I don't rate him as the most charismatic. Connery, Moore and Craig are more charismatic than Brosnan by far and that IMO is because they really took the time out to embody and create and showcase different attributes of the character with convincing conviction. Brosnan on the other hand was just running around doing a greatest hits tribute act, ticking every single cliche box and not always in a good way but you can tell he was having a blast though.
    I think Brosnan had great on-screen chemistry with pretty much everyone. But I think Moore was even MOORE charismatic. And about Brosnan's "greatest hits tribute act", I loved it. After Craig's IMO very different Bond movies (so far), I'd like the next Bond to be more in line with the Moore and Brosnan. A tribute act in some sort of way would be fine my be, what's better than keeping Moore's spirit alive not only in Bond's portrayal, but also the style of the movies?
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 3,494
    I think Brosnan had great on-screen chemistry with pretty much everyone. But I think Moore was even MOORE charismatic. And about Brosnan's "greatest hits tribute act", I loved it. After Craig's IMO very different Bond movies (so far), I'd like the next Bond to be more in line with the Moore and Brosnan. A tribute act in some sort of way would be fine my be, what's better than keeping Moore's spirit alive not only in Bond's portrayal, but also the style of the movies?

I think it's safe to say that DC is in the line of Connery and Dalton. You're not going to get Moore or Brosnan. Although Craig has a great sense of humor and would both welcome and deliver plenty of good one liners, or so he says.

• Brosnan's accent never bothered me, but I'm Canadian. He did seem a little soft-spoken which diminished his presence a bit, I feel. I do recall one reviewer mentioning that Brosnan's voice was "too thin and reedy" for what people expect of Bond and I thought that was well put.

However he had loads of charisma. Like Moore (or in a very different example, Will Smith as The Fresh Prince) he could say something so cheesy or juvenile that if anyone else said it a guy would punch him or a woman would slap him (or just groan and roll her eyes) but when they say it it comes across as charming. This makes him very watchable and likeable and makes up for any lack of presence that he had. I do feel that he was a very limited Bond, which is a shame because he was certainly given more emotional "meat" in his scripts than any Bond previously except for Lazenby. But I always enjoyed watching him and I can see why a lot of people would rate him as their favourite Bond.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 2,341
    I don't think Brosnan's fault, but rather the writing's and and the actresses, especially Richards's and Berry's.

I never understood the stunt casting end of it. Maybe EON did not like Pierce and wanted to put him with these sub par actresses, or maybe they thought he could create some chemistry with these women on his own.. NOT. Maybe a stronger actor like Dalton or Craig could create chemistry but not ol' Brozza.

Back to stunt casting...why do it? To sell the movie? the name of James Bond on the marquee sells the film. They didn't need to rely on sub par performers like Hatcher, Richards, and Berry.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 132
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Moore and Britt Eckland had zero "chemistry" in TMWTGG for instance (I even remember Moore referring to her as a "silly cow" at a talk I did in 2008).

Haha, you were there too? At the 'My Word Is My Bond' talk and signing at the National Theatre in London?

• OHMSS69 wrote:
    Maybe a stronger actor like Dalton or Craig could create chemistry but not ol' Brozza.

Hmmmm...you're saying Timothy "Are you calling me a horses arse?" Dalton had more chemistry with the ladies, than Brosnan? You're having a laugh! Tim's romantic scenes always make me cringe.

• edited August 2012 Posts: 1,492
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Maybe a stronger actor like Dalton or Craig could create chemistry but not ol' Brozza.

Hmmmm...you're saying Timothy "Are you calling me a horses arse?" Dalton had more chemistry with the ladies, than Brosnan? You're having a laugh! Tim's romantic scenes always make me cringe.

yes, I would say that.

Tim and Maryam put the work in. You could believe they were falling in love over the course of the film especially the "Do you think I would miss this performance" end scene which is charming. But the little squeeze of the hand on the plane and the irritation in his face as she couldn't make out his words in a speeding jeep meant I believed in the relationship.

BAIN123 wrote:
    Moore and Britt Eckland had zero "chemistry" in TMWTGG for instance (I even remember Moore referring to her as a "silly cow" at a talk I did in 2008).

Haha, you were there too? At the 'My Word Is My Bond' talk and signing at the National Theatre in London?

Yep. The same. What are the odds :p
    actonsteve wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:

yes, I would say that.

Tim and Maryam put the work in. You could believe they were falling in love over the course of the film especially the "Do you think I would miss this performance" end scene which is charming. But the little squeeze of the hand on the plane and the irritation in his face as she couldn't make out his words in a speeding jeep meant I believed in the relationship.

It was a nice relationship Dalton and D'Abo. The only time I really cringed with Dalton and the ladies was in the MP scene. Although Dalts does have a bit of a goofy grin when he's staring at D'Abo in the horse carriage and again at the fair. The final line ("You didn't think I'd miss this performance did you?") is quite sweet.

Do you really think Dalton or Craig would/could create chemistry with the likes of Denise or Halle? I don't. Dalton didn't have much chemistry with either Bliss or Tilisa Soto (both sub-par actresses). So far Craig's been given a pretty good hand in terms of actresses so who knows. You can't "create" chemistry anyway - it's either there or it isn't.

I don't like the word "chemistry" - it's too overused :p