The MI6 Premier League 2012/13

Comments

I have no idea what people are talking about

Had a few drinks this evening and it still doesn't make any rational sense

Soccer games, very exciting, no idea what people are talking about. I thought the games were over and Spain won, was there extra time or a replay ?
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 2,782

Soccer games, very exciting, no idea what people are talking about. I thought the games were over and Spain won, was there extra time or a replay ?

I'll explain it to you friend...

in the civilised world - they play the beautiful game football.

in the the other parts of the world (the non-civilised part) they put on helmets, wear tight lycra clothes, smack each other's bums and dry each other off in a loving way in the shower, then proceed to kill each other on the field - that's called American football.

• RC7RC7

American Football is a structured like a game show to guarantee 'moments' throughout the game.

Football is like a drama, you can go 90 minutes with very little happening and then experience a moment unlike anything any other sport can deliver. This is why we love it in the UK. You put up with the shit for the utter ecstasy a football match can deliver.

That being said, you get the odd game (more often a cup game) that delivers for most of the match.

Plus, it's the beautiful game. Some moments are truly artistic, see Zinedine Zidane et al.
    dragonsky wrote:
    Nice game for Chelsea today :).Thank god we scored early otherwise Wigan might've done some problems

Yes the ladies league is getting the boost it needed from the Olympics. Well done the blues - dragonsky your girls are doing you proud

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/2893627/title/ladies-report:-doncaster-rovers-belles-0-chelsea-ladies-1
    :D
    Have to say a big thank you to Liverpool for giving us lots of money to spend for this season !
    Over 22million =))
  • I have no idea what people are talking about

I'll explain it to you friend...

in the civilised world - they play the beautiful game football.

in the the other parts of the world (the non-civilised part) they put on helmets, wear tight lycra clothes, smack each other's bums and dry each other off in a loving way in the shower, then proceed to kill each other on the field - that's called American football.

I couldn't have put it better myself! Football is the beautiful game (most of the time) and we like to call it Football for obvious reasons. American 'hand' ball is no doubt beautiful in its own 'special' way.
    hahaha United :) Really nice game by Everton and especially Fellaini. De Gea is pretty good today too
  • ha ha ha ha ha ha - glad UTD lost makes the defeat to West Brom a bit easier to take...but it was Everton aaaaaaaaah!!!!
    ha ha ha ha ha ha - glad UTD lost makes the defeat to West Brom a bit easier to take...but it was Everton aaaaaaaaah!!!!

Yeah it's always great seeing man u lose :)
    We've got man city this week, just before that game we play the scottish club in the europa playoffs.
    Very interesting week coming up again.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    001 wrote:
    ha ha ha ha ha ha - glad UTD lost makes the defeat to West Brom a bit easier to take...but it was Everton aaaaaaaaah!!!!

We've got man city this week, just before that game we play the scottish club in the europa playoffs.

Well not quite sure I'd describe labouring to a fortuitous 1-0 win over a jock team as 'interesting'.

I can understand the play it out from the back philospphy but tonight was ludicrous. Pepe was being closed down from all quarters and barely had an option but he was under strict instructions never to lump it so was playing some outrageously risky balls to the edge of his own box which teams from a proper league will punish. Rodgers is, in his own way, as limited as Pulis. You cant just have one tactic and thats it. I dont care who you are Barca, Brazil 1970, Holland 1974 there are times in the game where you just have it to leather the ball up field.

I thought when we signed him it was a good appointment but although its very early to judge I have to say I've not been that impressed. His signings have been rather lacklustre, his treatment of Carroll I think has been pretty shabby considering hes not overburdened with options up top, his substitutions have been awful (Downing coming on at left back tonight? This clown is shit normally so how good is he going to be out of position?) and he didnt do himself any favours with bleating about the ref on saturday when all the decisions were pretty unarguable.

City next and the Arse and the scum all before the end of september. Dont be surprised if we are bottom 3 in a month. A long hard season ahead.
    001 wrote:

Well not quite sure I'd describe labouring to a fortuitous 1-0 win over a jock team as 'interesting'.

I can understand the play it out from the back philospphy but tonight was ludicrous. Pepe was being closed down from all quarters and barely had an option but he was under strict instructions never to lump it so was playing some outrageously risky balls to the edge of his own box which teams from a proper league will punish. Rodgers is, in his own way, as limited as Pulis. You cant just have one tactic and thats it. I dont care who you are Barca, Brazil 1970, Holland 1974 there are times in the game where you just have it to leather the ball up field.

I thought when we signed him it was a good appointment but although its very early to judge I have to say I've not been that impressed. His signings have been rather lacklustre, his treatment of Carroll I think has been pretty shabby considering hes not overburdened with options up top, his substitutions have been awful (Downing coming on at left back tonight? This clown is shit normally so how good is he going to be out of position?) and he didnt do himself any favours with bleating about the ref on saturday when all the decisions were pretty unarguable.

City next and the Arse and the scum all before the end of september. Dont be surprised if we are bottom 3 in a month. A long hard season ahead.

I described the week to come as interesting on aug 21, wiz
    I thought the interest would be if can win 3 or 4 nil.
    But the team still appears half asleep.
    I think they will wake up against man city.

001 wrote:

Youre hoping for a lot there mate. On the wrong end of a 6-0 would certainly be 'interesting' for Brendan.
    001 wrote:

Youre hoping for a lot there mate. On the wrong end of a 6-0 would certainly be 'interesting' for Brendan.

They always seem to play against the big teams at home.
    That young sterlings a good player isn't he? He should start.

You want him sacked already (Brendan)don't you? And who will replace him?
    They won't sack him.

• 001 wrote:

We'll see clueless' best 11 against City....can't believe he's going for another midfielder.

Need another striker and swap deal for winger for the biggest let downing ever.

Break the bank and bring Theo in...he could play striker and winger. I love him. I love him so much I want to have man relations with him.

I'm still near the bottom of the MI6 league aaaaaaaaah.
  • Might as well change the name of this thread to scouser lovefest or similar!! Didn't realise so many of my fellow Bond fans cared so much about such an average club?
    ;)
    001 wrote:
    001 wrote:

They always seem to play against the big teams at home.
    That young sterlings a good player isn't he? He should start.

You want him sacked already (Brendan)don't you? And who will replace him?
    They won't sack him.

Not saying I want him sacked as where would that leave us but I worry that as usual we've missed the boat by adopting tiki taka just as everyone has found out how to play against it.

The thing that strikes me with tiki taka is that its all well and good when youve got people like Iniesta and Xavi with the ability to split defences with a pass but as Arsenal have found out year after year if your players arent up to that standard then its quite easy for teams to park the bus and you cant pass your way through. To try and attempt this tactic with players who havent even got the most basic technical ability - Adam, Downs syndrome, Spearing, Henderson - is close to lunacy.
    I worry that Brendan came out the other day to counter criticisms of his style by saying 'If plan A isnt working then I use plan B. Which is to make Plan A work better.' That doesnt strike me as someone with the tactical shrewdness to change a game. I hope I'm wrong but I have a grave suspicion we might have got the poor mans Wenger in charge.
    Might as well change the name of this thread to scouser lovefest or similar!! Didn't realise so many of my fellow Bond fans cared so much about such an average club?
    ;)

Average? Only the most successful club in England and behind only Real and Milan in Europe. A 'scouser lovefest about an average club' would be a thread about the bitters.
  • Only one trophy in the last six years to me suggests they are very much average.
  • Only one trophy in the last six years to me suggests they are very much average.

oh dear...oh dear...another case of club envy.

Not at all, where in my post does it point to that? I have just been factual. Correct me if I'm wrong but Liverpool have only won one trophy in the last six years. To me that makes them average. It's not sour grapes or envy, it's me having an opinion based on facts.

Just so I can be clear so people can understand my point, I'm basing them being average on their recent record not on their very successful historical past. I have respect for their achievements of yesteryear but for a long time now they have been average and I stand by that statement.
    Only one trophy in the last six years to me suggests they are very much average.

Not at all, where in my post does it point to that? I have just been factual. Correct me if I'm wrong but Liverpool have only won one trophy in the last six years. To me that makes them average. It's not sour grapes or envy, it's me having an opinion based on facts.

Just so I can be clear so people can understand my point, I'm basing them being average on their recent record not on their very successful historical past. I have respect for their achievements of yesteryear but for a long time now they have been average and I stand by that statement.

lol.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19364375

another bleedin' midfielder.

lol.

Your lack of reasoned response tells me you know I'm right.
  • RC7RC7
    001 wrote:

Average? Only the most successful club in England and behind only Real and Milan in Europe. A 'scouser lovefest about an average club' would be a thread about the bitters.

Most successful English club in Europe. Not the most successful English club in England.
  • reasoned response to an envious statement - you must be joking.

reasoned response to an envious statement - you must be joking.

I follow Liverpool and i agree they are a average team. It's a great club though, you can't deny that.
    There is a difference between team and club you know, that's what confuses some people.

• 001 wrote:

I follow Liverpool and i agree they are a average team. It's a great club though, you can't deny that.
    There is a difference between team and club you know, that's what confuses some people.

Ah now that's a reasoned and intelligent response as oposed to others. Good to hear you accept my point that you are average. I understand and accept your point. I meant club as in on field performance. It was in no way meant to mean the club in terms of your wonderful successful history or your great support. Of course it's a great club in terms of it's following and history but right now it's average. Average results and in the most part, an average squad. I'll leave it at that as I don't want to offend and in sporting spirit hope you Liverpool fans have a successful season. :)
    001 wrote:

Ah now that's a reasoned and intelligent response as oposed to others. Good to hear you accept my point that you are average. I understand and accept your point. I meant club as in on field performance. It was in no way meant to mean the club in terms of your wonderful successful history or your great support. Of course it's a great club in terms of it's following and history but right now it's average. Average results and in the most part, an average squad. I'll leave it at that as I don't want to offend and in sporting spirit hope you Liverpool fans have a successful season. :)

that's magnanimous of you old chap...however...I hope we stuff all comers and make you eat your average words you...you....you.....er....girl! Yeah, girl, who supports a girlie team so there. :P

Edit. Today will live long in my memory. Liverpool are bottom of the league. It's early I know but still a disgrace an utter disgrace. Not a single point. Not one. Sack that tic-tac idiot now. It wasn't him last season it was his team. See what the Dane is doing with the same team. Omg we sacked a legend for this.

we are top of the league !! who would of predicted that ten years ago ?
    Keep the faith swansea reserves (sorry Liverpool) give him time and you will see better days
    largo2 wrote:
    we are top of the league !! who would of predicted that ten years ago ?
    Keep the faith swansea reserves (sorry Liverpool) give him time and you will see better days

Rock and roll Largo! What a start for Laudrup! Credit where credit is due! Glad we got our first point this season today against QPR. Apparently we missed a great chance near the end to take the 3 points? Will watch MOTD later to see it all.
    Not at all, where in my post does it point to that? I have just been factual. Correct me if I'm wrong but Liverpool have only won one trophy in the last six years. To me that makes them average.

Well perhaps you should base your opinion on a proper definition of words. Average is defined thus 'a quantity, rating, or the like that represents or approximates an arithmetic mean'. In laymens terms the middle.

Now given there are 92 league clubs in this country (I'll even let you off all the rest which are numerous) and that over the last 6 years only 6 of those clubs have won a trophy I would contend that we are nowhere near average. Most of the teams in this country can only dream of winning one trophy ion 6 years (including 75% of the Premier League.

Average is actually somewhere around the top of League 1 - the Swindons, Doncasters and Tranmeres of the world.

What that record is is average for Liverpool - a club used to winning a trophy every season but it is not average for the vast majority of football clubs.

If we are average what does that make Wengers shower?
    It's not sour grapes or envy, it's me having an opinion based on facts.

Just a tip but try and actually base you opinion on facts in future otherwise its just your opinion and you are left without a leg to stand on.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Little old now, but after Man Utd's loss to Everton in their opening game. This appeared on the net.
    A0xV9h6CAAE4jX9.jpg

Now to more important stuff. Glad to see Chelsea top of the league. Where they belong.
    205524hp2.jpg

Hazard sure looks like a great signing.